Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Best example of how team defense helps the goalie is Carolina. Anderson numbers best ever in his career by a mile playing with Carolina over Toronto. Our goalies seriously need that kind of defensive help in front of them.

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Agreed, Spits with a great comeback down 5-2,and sending game to OT,terrible 2nd period again before coming back,goaltending fine in the 1st,not so good in the 2nd,better the rest of the way ,not blaming anybody for losing 3 on 3 in OT.
Positives
Spits go 4-6 on the PP
Spits kill 4/5 on the PK,only goal
was on a terrible 2 man advantage call by refs late in 1st,they scored with 13 seconds left in the penalties.
Interesting Spits are now 8th overall on the PP,4th on the road,20th at home.
PK Windsor is 4th best on the road,but league worst 20th at home.
Other Positives
Oliver Peer and Chris O'Flaherty
score their 1st OHL goals
Rookie Ethan Martin picks up nice
assist on O'Flaherty 's goal,his 2nd
point in as many games.
11 different players had at least one point.
Daniel D'amico has his best game of the season 1G,1A,better play lately
from him
Gotta give team for not giving up
At the end of the day this team misses Medina more then what most will admit.
They were on a roll till he got hurt,and so was he.
Can't have 2 other goalies averaging 4.50 plus against and win constantly
Now they have not been terrible all the time but they need to better.
And yes the team has to play better in front of them too and they must be aware the tenders won't bail them out like Medina can all the time.
Spits are 3-0-1 the last 4 games on the road.
Need to improve at home
Will probably get Sobolev back in the lineup by Thursday vs Erie.
I would definitely be playing Martin,Peer and O'Flaherty more moving forward.

You don't have to keep pumping Medina's tires and crap on the other goalies. Fact is Medina is 10th in GAA and 25th is SV% for qualified starters that's not going to win you anything. You're painting a picasso of a goalie and team and when you look at the team they're not playing good hockey. It's absolutely laughable to think just putting Medina in net is going to solve issues. Just imagine if the team wanted to defend as much as they want to score goals. We are at a stage now of close to 20 games this is what they are and nothing is being done to address it. I don't expect you to say anything about that because Bowler would then have to be criticized.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Any further flaming or trolling will will result in removal not only from this thread, but from future Windsor threads going forward for the remainder of the season.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Except both goals in the 2nd period near the end were on the PP and he had no chance on either if you saw them both live and on tape you would agree.
He got pulled that game because of the poor 3rd.
I did see them. When on the PK the goalie usually needs to be the best penalty killer. To me the one thing Medina lacks is anticipation. That and his glove hand Some nights.

Looks like i have missed sone action on this board this afternoon.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Is Medina the answer? We don't know. Is a duo of him and Downey better than Downey and Tovell? Absolutely. If I'm Bowler, I'm shopping around to see what's out there in case Medina's out longer than expected.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I did see them. When on the PK the goalie usually needs to be the best penalty killer. To me the one thing Medina lacks is anticipation. That and his glove hand Some nights.

Spits are 4th best in PK on the road,20th at home,Medina major reason for the road success in that area,when in goal on the road he is 14/17 success rate and 2 of those goals came in Owen Sound game.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Is Medina the answer? We don't know. Is a duo of him and Downey better than Downey and Tovell? Absolutely. If I'm Bowler, I'm shopping around to see what's out there in case Medina's out longer than expected.

As I mentioned I would not surprised if he plays in next 12 days,doubt next week though.
I agree that Medina and Downey are the best duo tandem.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

So if the team doesn't believe in Downey as much as Tovell why don't they just upgrade the position? I want Downey to be developed but they obviously don't feel the same way. I don't see a big difference between the two except Tovell is 19 and won't be around next year.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Spits are 4th best in PK on the road,20th at home,Medina major reason for the road success in that area,when in goal on the road he is 14/17 success rate and 2 of those goals came in Owen Sound game.
Ok but i’m talking about that one game. He wasn’t good. We have different opinions and you will never see things the way i do or ever change your mind so I’m done with this.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Legend you speak highly of X, but at the same time you present stats that show he’s inconsistent. That’s the true take on him let’s be clear. I’m still shopping for D men quickly and willing to give X a chance but on a short leash. There’s other issues here, ownership, I’ve spoken my opinion here. GM, he’s not shown he’s capable or able yet. Coaching, there’s some serious inexperience behind the bench in jr hockey. Our asst that is related is not good, the other asst. is awol and in charge of the worst group on this team. Savard is struggling with this age group and other factors. Multiple scenarios coming to mind, team is still handcuffed by ownership and team is actively for sale, GM is planning on going for it next year, there’s a disconnect behind the bench hurting the team and preventing it from excelling. I believe the multiple issues in play will keep this franchise from getting there. Best case scenario imho, team sells to ownership who is all in and understands the jr game. I’ve been around high levels of hockey my entire life, been a huge supporter of this team, and short of a stunning about face we’re in for this type of product for a while yet. So disappointing!!!

Last edited:

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
So if the team doesn't believe in Downey as much as Tovell why don't they just upgrade the position? I want Downey to be developed but they obviously don't feel the same way. I don't see a big difference between the two except Tovell is 19 and won't be around next year.
Downey should be the guy playing right now. I’m not sure what is going on right now other then maybe Downey wasn’t feeling well this weekend. If Downey was fine then it falls on coaching.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Ok but i’m talking about that one game. He wasn’t good. We have different opinions and you will never see things the way i do or ever change your mind so I’m done with this.

You are right we both won't change our minds and our respective positions .

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Legend you speak highly of X, but at the same time you present stats that show he’s inconsistent. That’s the true take on him let’s be clear.

I don't see why the PK at home or on the road is relevant. Medina is 3-2-1 on the road which isn't that great. As I said 25th in the league fir sv% full body of work and you're not winning anything with that. I guess since by winning% they are 9th in the conference any win is cherished because technically every team either the exception of Erie and Kitchener is better. Then you realize the Spits have only gotten 3 points of a possible 8 with some stinkers against those teams.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Legend you speak highly of X, but at the same time you present stats that show he’s inconsistent. That’s the true take on him let’s be clear. I’m still shopping for D men quickly and willing to give X a chance but on a short leash.

Regarding Medina I stated that he started the year slowly, poor game 1,solid game 2 at Sarnia,solid in game 3 8 person shootout vs London,average in game 4 loss at London then 4 of 5 games where he allowed 2 vs Kitchener loss at Kitchener extra player shootout loss,5 at Owen Sound
bad 3rd period allowing 3,then 2,at Flint,2 vs Erie,3 at Sarnia where he got hurt 3 straight wins,like I said for most part very good in 4 of 5 deserves longer runway.
You have to admit team has not been the same since he has been out.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I don't see why the PK at home or on the road is relevant. Medina is 3-2-1 on the road which isn't that great. As I said 25th in the league fir sv% full body of work and you're not winning anything with that. I guess since by winning% they are 9th in the conference any win is cherished because technically every team either the exception of Erie and Kitchener is better. Then you realize the Spits have only gotten 3 points of a possible 8 with some stinkers against those teams.

Except you don't allow for improvement,he is 2-1-0-1 in his last 4 on the road he was 1-1 to start the season and the Pk on the road Owen Sound not withstanding has been very good.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Regarding Medina I stated that he started the year slowly, poor game 1,solid game 2 at Sarnia,solid in game 3 8 person shootout vs London,average in game 4 loss at London then 4 of 5 games where he allowed 2 vs Kitchener loss at Kitchener extra player shootout loss,5 at Owen Sound
bad 3rd period allowing 3,then 2,at Flint,2 vs Erie,3 at Sarnia where he got hurt 3 straight wins,like I said for most part very good in 4 of 5 deserves longer runway.
You have to admit team has not been the same since he has been out.

Medina started out 1-3-0-2 in net and won 3 straight. Correlation isn't equal to causation unless you believe Medina is the cause for those 3 wins. The problem is you can draw whatever you want from those 3 games but 3-0 implication is that this is the real Spitfire team but he accounted for 10 out of 18 points which is a .555 win% but the other goalies are 4-5-1 but Tovell who has extensive Jr B experience but not much beyond that is 1-2 in his 3 starts which is a .333 win% and Downey is 3-3. This isn't do much about Medina as it's about a team that is just .500.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Nobody believes the 3-0 of Medina in his last 3 means they are a contender. This more about having a team that commits to protecting their other goalies and completely leaving them hanging. Yet the D hasn't been addressed.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Medina started out 1-3-0-2 in net and won 3 straight. Correlation isn't equal to causation unless you believe Medina is the cause for those 3 wins. The problem is you can draw whatever you want from those 3 games but 3-0 implication is that this is the real Spitfire team but he accounted for 10 out of 18 points which is a .555 win% but the other goalies are 4-5-1 but Tovell who has extensive Jr B experience but not much beyond that is 1-2 in his 3 starts which is a .333 win% and Downey is 3-3. This isn't do much about Medina as it's about a team that is just .500.

A huge fact was Windsor was 4-1 in their last 5 before Medina went down
and had won 3 straight when he got hurt.
It's no coincidence since his injury team has struggled that's undeniable.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Can u list the teams Windsor played that medina was 4 n 1 against? Were thry struggling teams?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

That's not exactly a huge endorsement of Medina considering Tovell has come in and not been good. I think most here believe Medina is an upgrade over Tovell as he should be. The issue is they have been average and dug them enough of a hole Medina coming back from a lower body injury may have to carry the whole load and that's not good.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
I think it's obvious the Spits would have a few more wins if Medina wasn't injured. With that said, Saginaw was without their #1 goalie and managed to beat the Spits twice with their backups. If Medina is only out for next weekend, no point in acquiring a goalie. But if it's longer-term, they need to bring in an OHL caliber goalie or this team will be out of a playoff spot before he returns.

Next weekend they have Erie and Sarnia, if they lose those games time to call it a season and start trading assets.

Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Can u list the teams Windsor played that medina was 4 n 1 against? Were thry struggling teams?

Windsor was 4-1 in their last 5,Downey played the 1st 2 both home games,6-3 win over Guelph and a 6-3
loss to Kitchener though 2 goals were empty netters,then Medina played next 3 Flint 6-2 win on the road,3-2 OT win over Erie at home and 7-3 win on the road at Sarnia.
Only team struggling at the time in those 5 games was Erie who has since changed coaches.
Sarnia has beaten London twice,Erie has beaten the SSM since and Flint beat London since.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor was 4-1 in their last 5,Downey played the 1st 2 both home games,6-3 win over Guelph and a 6-3
loss to Kitchener though 2 goals were empty netters,then Medina played next 3 Flint 6-2 win on the road,3-2 OT win over Erie at home and 7-3 win on the road at Sarnia.
Only team struggling at the time in those 5 games was Erie who has since changed coaches.
Sarnia has beaten London twice,Erie has beaten the SSM since and Flint beat London since.

Ok so mostly teams struggling like Windsor has.

Reactions: aresknights

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Ok so mostly teams struggling like Windsor has.

You should done your homework 7
Only Kitchener was struggling they had lost 3 straight before beating Windsor
Erie won the night before they played Windsor, the other 3 teams,Guelph,Flint and Sarnia were on 2 game winning streaks prior to losing to Windsor, nice try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA