Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

Having not seen last night's game I won't say much more than based on the various comment last night's OT win should not be considered a game that met expectations based on the current status of their opponent.

While it's great to see another win, current success does not ensure future success, especially when you consider how that win was accomplished.

Goaltending has been decent? Depends on how you look at things. Downey as a rookie has been solid. Medina as a vet has been the same as he was in his first year. He's a decent goaltender when he's on his game, very inconsistent and when he's off, he's way off as we've already seen him pulled twice this year. We can hope that the last two starts he had are a sign he's turning the corner but as a vet in a rookie filled league the last two games have to be the expectation from him.

For what is supposed to be an offensively gifted team their PP performance is inexcusable. The inconsistency in offensive production at even strength even moreso.

It's nice to see the wins going in the right direction but trying to spin this as anything more than a team starting to beat the teams they should beat handily is misrepresenting what's been going on. When they start beating the top teams consistently then these stats start to mean something. Until then this is just getting the points they should be getting while ignoring their struggles are still a problem against those same teams.

Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Credit given where due - Medina's played better as of late. Is he at the level he needs to be? Not consistently. However, it's an improvement over the start of the season and upward trajectories are always welcomed.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Medina in last 4 starts has allowed 2 against Kitchener, then lost in an extra shooter shootout to them,5-1 loss at Owen Sound where he allowed 2 late PP goals in the 2nd,then had 1 bad period the 3rd and allowed 3 goals before being pulled, then for his 3rd straight start on the road defeated Flint 6-2,then Saturday at home was solid in Windsor's come from behind victory 3-2 over Erie
So three very solid efforts 2 on the road and 1 at home,plus the one bad period in Owen Sound ,he only allows 6 even strength goals in those 4 starts and 3 were in the game at Owen Sound
His goals average was 2.75 for the 4 games,that tells me he getting very close to we want for a goalie,he for the most part much better then he was prior to this stretch.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Having not seen last night's game I won't say much more than based on the various comment last night's OT win should not be considered a game that met expectations based on the current status of their opponent.

While it's great to see another win, current success does not ensure future success, especially when you consider how that win was accomplished.

Goaltending has been decent? Depends on how you look at things. Downey as a rookie has been solid. Medina as a vet has been the same as he was in his first year. He's a decent goaltender when he's on his game, very inconsistent and when he's off, he's way off as we've already seen him pulled twice this year. We can hope that the last two starts he had are a sign he's turning the corner but as a vet in a rookie filled league the last two games have to be the expectation from him.

For what is supposed to be an offensively gifted team their PP performance is inexcusable. The inconsistency in offensive production at even strength even moreso.

It's nice to see the wins going in the right direction but trying to spin this as anything more than a team starting to beat the teams they should beat handily is misrepresenting what's been going on. When they start beating the top teams consistently then these stats start to mean something. Until then this is just getting the points they should be getting while ignoring their struggles are still a problem against those same teams.

Cfaub

Based on some your comments re Windsor's recent wins ,a serious question do think London's 9-1 record to date is the same as they have 5 OT wins amongst the 9,5 wins over Owen Sound and 2 over Sarnia,before their loss at Flint,a team Windsor handled 6-2 a few days earlier.
Other then the special teams issues to date for the most part especially the last 7 games I dont see a scoring issue
1st 4 games of season they scored 10 goals,next 4 scored 16,last 3 scored 12,and has a record of 4-2-1 in those 7 games.Every single game they were special teams not withstanding the better team scoring chance wise,only outstanding efforts from Cajan 2 of them with Kitchener, Guzda in Owen Sound when Windsor had 50 shots prevented Windsor from going 7-0 in this stretch.
I think you are being a bit harsh overall especially when u consider Windsor is 4-2-0-1 in their last 7 and easily could be better based on their play vs Kitchener and Owen Sound.

member 71782

Cfaub

Based on some your comments re Windsor's recent wins ,a serious question do think London's 9-1 record to date is the same as they have 5 OT wins amongst the 9,5 wins over Owen Sound and 2 over Sarnia,before their loss at Flint,a team Windsor handled 6-2 a few days earlier.
Other then the special teams issues to date for the most part especially the last 7 games I dont see a scoring issue
1st 4 games of season they scored 10 goals,next 4 scored 16,last 3 scored 12,and has a record of 4-2-1 in those 7 games.Every single game they were special teams not withstanding the better team scoring chance wise,only outstanding efforts from Cajan 2 of them with Kitchener, Guzda in Owen Sound when Windsor had 50 shots prevented Windsor from going 7-0 in this stretch.
I think you are being a bit harsh overall especially when u consider Windsor is 4-2-0-1 in their last 7 and easily could be better based on their play vs Kitchener and Owen Sound.

Actually I don't think I'm being harsh at all, just realistic.

No where did I say their recent success was not a step in the right direction, I said, based on the quality of their opponents that success and Medina's performance should be the expectation. While those wins were badly needed they shouldn't be considered something to get overly excited about or read too much into them. They only met the base expectations fans should have, particularly after reading the comments about the Erie game.

As for your comments about their record could be better based on losing in shootouts or OT, could be but it's not. Look at it this way, they didn't get it done in those games and if not for the loser point in each one where would they be in the standings in terms of how much further behind the leaders? Would, could, should doesn't matter, what did they ultimately do in those games, win or lose? That result is what ultimately matters.

Now if you want to use those games as examples for how Medina played, that's fair and fits in with what I said to describe his play, when he's on his game he's very good, when he's not we've all seen the results. He's a decent goaltender most nights, not spectacular and not someone most would consider capable of taking a team to a title. The problem he's s shown is a lack of consistency literally from one game to the next. Every goaltender is going to have an off night, top goaltenders will give up four goals once in a while, maybe every ten to fifteen starts. Medina started the year giving up five goals three times in six games. Bad start to the season. Is that all it was, or was it Medina playing the way he always has? That question remains to be answered.

As for London

Five of nine wins in OT shows they're not as good as most think but they were good enough in those games to get the job done. They are at the top of the conference because whether they're as good as people think they are or not they still got it done. They also beat Windsor in a shootout then next game they played proceeded to put in five while Windsor struggled to score. London also didn't have their full roster for their first five or six games while everyone else had the roster they were expecting to have, not looking at injuries.

London simply needs a bit more consistent offense from the entire team, not just a few players and most of those games don't go to OT.

So you criticism about how I looked at things, not based on the final results but based on Windsor's play I think are invalid. As I said, if people look beyond the final result they would see Windsor is just meeting the lowest expectations. If they want to contend they have to start meeting the type of expectations a contender should be expected to meet, the ability to beat any team on any given night. When they give up five or more to teams who should be fighting for a playoff spot they're not even meeting the lowest expectations some nights.

They're trending in the right direction in the win column but who they're beating to get there is teams they should beat and every game they lose to a top team is a four point game this year. Those are the games that until they start winning them consistently they can't be considered contenders just yet.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Legend your inane desire to pick stats that fir your narrative is rearing its ugly head again. Ask Dubas how using just stats in hockey is working out! Yes the team has had some better results, no this team is not playing anywhere close to expectations.
I’m not sure who is running the offense but I hope it’s not Marc! I think it’s a certain asst many thought was ready to be a HC.
The D is a whole other animal, they need to bring talent in and fast!
In goal the only concern is X. Marginally better last few but I need to see consistently better from him including some of those game winning saves.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
There's so much to unwrap after this game against Erie and the picture being painted of a team that has figured it out. The game against Erie was extremely dull, they didn't come out with much juice. They found a way to tie it and get the OT winner. I find it ironic if they had lost in OT we would be talking about how they failed to get a W against one the weaker teams. Now that they won this game it's a team that is getting right. As an aside the person running Spitfires twitter lets not compare Johnston to Connor McDavid just saying.

As for the bending over backwards to spin what the Spitfires have done lately. They're still 6th in the conference, 4th in the division going by winning%. Medina has gotten better but an .884 sv% isn't going to cut it for a team aspiring to be a contender. Comparing them to London because they have 5 OT wins. Spits have gone to OT/SO 4 times and gotten the extra point 2 times. I said 6+ weeks again any division title is going to be won on the margins either by getting that extra point, or getting a point when you probably didn't think you were getting one. London has gotten 18 out of a possible 20 points. Windsor has gotten 12 out of a possible 22 points. One isn't like the other and I will let the stat guys figure that out.

Can we discuss why the Spits only have 12 out of 22 points?? Well we can start with terrible special teams as a whole. The D that continually chases a game a few instances was against Erie down 1-0, in a span of 4 minutes Erie has a 2 on 1, and 2 partial breakaways. I would be surprised if there's anyone on that coaching staff that believes this is a good way to be a successful hockey team. Of course though they have had the same guys playing D all year with the exception of Ribau. This is a Bowler roster collective and this falls on him.

member 71782

Windsor has two games this weekend, Friday night in Sarnia then back home Saturday to host the Soo.

Sarnia chased Medina opening night at home while got the OT win in Sarnia in the rematch.

With Medina having done what he needed to do you go back to him. Sarnia hasn't faired very well since then, their record is 3-5-2-0 for 8 points and 9th in the conference with only Erie sitting above them. This should be another game with expectations on the team as a whole and Medina in particular. For Medina he has to keep the goals against to 3 or less. For the team this can't be another game that they need OT to get the victory. They need a decisive win that shows they are the better team in all 3 zones.

If Medina can keep things to 3 goals or less and looks solid then regardless of the outcome he starts against the Soo. He can't be the reason the team loses anymore. If he gives up 4 or more on less than 30 shots then Downey should start against the Soo.

The team itself needs to step up.

Bowler needs to get a couple of forwards onto this roster in time to be ready for the weekend. 8 D dressing is killing the forwards with everyone of them playing extended shifts and/or double shifting. All this is doing is costing the team points while wearing a the forwards down early in the season.

One of the worst teams in the conference then one of the best in the conference and Windsor needs 4 points in regulation when it's done.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I will stick with numbers from only the Western conference as we do not play the East to compare. Windsor is in 6th place in the conference. No surprise it happens that we are currently 6th for goals for and 6th for goals against. I realize teams have played more or less but that is a slice from today. There are 4 basic issues in my opinion to explain only 11 points out of 22 available to far. I have ranked them as I see the relevance
1. Last place in penalty killing by a fair margin
2. 8th place Power play
3. Our best D are not are best performing D
4. Goaltending inconsistencies. (has been much better the past few games)
Who is designing the schemes of our powerplay? Why does it still look the same after all these games regardless of which players on the ice? Hard to enter the zone with speed when you drop pass the puck and the player dropping the pass usually has his back turned completely away from the opposing team and the offensive zone. Why do we not get shots through in the middle with traffic in front of the net. Sure worked for Erie last game.
Why is our best offensive players killing penalties most of the time? Is that not a good time to put in the younger players eager for more ice? Why tire out our offense. Bench has been short on forwards all season already. Most opposing teams have scored early in their powerplay against us. The lines need some serious thought. I would expect some my players with the longest reach to be killing penalties to restrict passing lanes. Also need to blast the puck out of our zone with authority. We seem to just give it back to their point men too easily and they maintain zone control. Others with thoughts on the special teams? I believe we get this straightened out and the points will start to pile up.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Some people on here are never happy. They lose, you complain, they win you complain even more. This is probably the most toxic fan message board I've ever seen. No, they weren't at their best against Erie, but still had 15 more shots on goal than them and outplayed Erie for the last two periods. They also hit 3 posts.

The home loss to London, Spits outplayed them most of the game and would have won if it wasn't for the terrible giveaway by Zito to give the Knights a 2 on 0 with 2 mins remaining. The compete level is there, the scoring chances are there.

The home game against Kitchener, the Spits lost but probably deserved a better outcome considering they had almost 50 shots on goal but you guys complained. I see complaining about the offense but they have averaged 4 goals per game in the last 7 games, how can you complain about that average? Yes the PP sucks right now, you can have that. The defensive zone coverage is a weakness as well but it's been a little better recently.

I truly believe some on here prefer the team to lose so they can complain, just a toxic environment on here, comical really.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Excellent post fully agree with everything that you have written.
Team goes 4-2-0-1 in their last 7 and people are bitching, starting goalie averages 2.70 in last 4 starts,2.00 in his last 2 games people are complaining about consistency, give me that average every day of week,Medina played 1 bad period in the 12 plus 2 OTs and a shootout and we need consistency
Team D is a mess yet this team has allowed 20 even strength goals in the last 10 games,I will take that every day of the week.
In the last 7 games only 3 players are minus all -1,Baisov,Sobolev and Peer.
For the unfairly maligned D here are their +- numbers,
Ride(+6),Sobolev (-1),Ladd(+3),Ribau(0),Renwick(+5),DeAngilis (0),Henault (+1)
The Ribau trade with Robinson was an excellent trade,rarely mentioned doesn't fit the narrative.
Robinson was a -6 in the 4 games before being dealt.
Keep up the fair posting.
I have already agreed and commented re special teams both the PP and PK have really struggled

member 71782

People get all excited when the team beats the teams they should yet when they can't beat the teams they need to anyone critical is toxic.

They were the better team against Erie for two of three periods and needed OT to beat them. They got the W, great but a team expected to be a contender versus a team currently last in the conference and might battle for the last playoff spot and there's nothing in that result to critique?

Windsor, based on how people see them should have been dominant for 3 periods and beat them by at least a couple even if their goalie stood on his head.

Did that happen? Was that even close to happening?

Every hits a couple of posts every game, it's not horse shoes and it's not a moral victory when a team hits the post or crossbar. I know Legend likes to point that if not for them hitting the post or crossbar they could have had a few more, but they did hit the post and it counted for as much as them putting the puck 20 feet wide. It may be exciting during the play that they came close but it still doesn't count for anything.

People who predicted this team was going to lead the conference, the rookies were going to have an immediate impact, the PP was going to be amazing, the D was going to be the best in the league, the iffence top 3 in the league are now the ones celebrating should win games as the team doing something special while ignoring how they almost lost those should win games. Then using woulda, coulda, shoulda excuses to justify losses or say they would have this record had they only won in OT.

It's not about criticizing wins or losses, it's about giving an honest opinion based on how they played. If they played well in a loss then give them credit if they played poorly in a win then be critical.

Taking stats, particularly out of context they can be made to show whatever you want while ignoring anything you want to hide. There's more to the game then that and maybe I give too many people too much credit on for believing they know and understand that.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I will stick with numbers from only the Western conference as we do not play the East to compare. Windsor is in 6th place in the conference. No surprise it happens that we are currently 6th for goals for and 6th for goals against. I realize teams have played more or less but that is a slice from today. There are 4 basic issues in my opinion to explain only 11 points out of 22 available to far. I have ranked them as I see the relevance
1. Last place in penalty killing by a fair margin
2. 8th place Power play
3. Our best D are not are best performing D
4. Goaltending inconsistencies. (has been much better the past few games)
Who is designing the schemes of our powerplay? Why does it still look the same after all these games regardless of which players on the ice? Hard to enter the zone with speed when you drop pass the puck and the player dropping the pass usually has his back turned completely away from the opposing team and the offensive zone. Why do we not get shots through in the middle with traffic in front of the net. Sure worked for Erie last game.
Why is our best offensive players killing penalties most of the time? Is that not a good time to put in the younger players eager for more ice? Why tire out our offense. Bench has been short on forwards all season already. Most opposing teams have scored early in their powerplay against us. The lines need some serious thought. I would expect some my players with the longest reach to be killing penalties to restrict passing lanes. Also need to blast the puck out of our zone with authority. We seem to just give it back to their point men too easily and they maintain zone control. Others with thoughts on the special teams? I believe we get this straightened out and the points will start to pile up.

Well in regards to killing penalties for a lot of the year they have only dressed 11 or 10 forwards. They're probably not comfortable using O'Flaherty/Miedema/Birkett/Baisov killing penalties so then you're down to a group of forwards like Cuylle/Johnston/D'Amico/Zito(killing penalties before injury)/McDonald. A lot of this has to do with Bowler not giving Savard a fully functional roster. If you have a star studded roster of 4-5 great forwards dressing 11 forwards is giving you an optimal advantage. You can give those 4-5 forwards an extra 2 minutes per game and giving them matchup advantages. Dressing 10 forwards pretty much means you're double shifting a few forwards every 4th shift or you're resigned to play 3 lines. If you think since the PK is so bad that they should just try anyone out I can't disagree with that to an extent.

If you watch the PP the guys have a lot of room to work and seams to make plays. I still think this is a Jimmy and Joe's issue.

We will see if the points start to pile up they have much work to do to catch teams and build a cushion in 16 days we will have reached the quarter pole.

Reactions: scokan

member 71782

Excellent post fully agree with everything that you have written.
Team goes 4-2-0-1 in their last 7 and people are bitching, starting goalie averages 2.70 in last 4 starts,2.00 in his last 2 games people are complaining about consistency, give me that average every day of week,Medina played 1 bad period in the 12 plus 2 OTs and a shootout and we need consistency
Team D is a mess yet this team has allowed 20 even strength goals in the last 10 games,I will take that every day of the week.
In the last 7 games only 3 players are minus all -1,Baisov,Sobolev and Peer.
For the unfairly maligned D here are their +- numbers,
Ride(+6),Sobolev (-1),Ladd(+3),Ribau(0),Renwick(+5),DeAngilis (0),Henault (+1)
The Ribau trade with Robinson was an excellent trade,rarely mentioned doesn't fit the narrative.
Robinson was a -6 in the 4 games before being dealt.
Keep up the fair posting.
I have already agreed and commented re special teams both the PP and PK have really struggled

Why not use more than a 2 game sample size to show how consistent Medina has been or to show his average? If I take the first six games he started he consistently gave up 5 goals in half the games?

Is it an honest and fair picture of how he's performed over time? No, of course not but neither is ignoring half the games he's played to show how amazing he's been.

You've been using the last 7, 8, 9 or 10 games when they had played 8, 9, 10 or 11 games, why? Does using the 2nd number change the stats to a less flattering result than you wish to portray?

How about thoughts on the overall play including versus the quality of opponent? Erie a team they should have dominated but by most thoughts on the game they didn't.

We can all wave pom poms then act surprised while we make excuses year after year for poor results or we can give honest thoughts on the games when they're played, point out the good and bad trends as they develop and understand why the results have been consistently, not always poor for years now.

We'd all take a goaltender with a 2.00 average every day of the week but most realize that it's very rare for any goaltender to maintain that average longer than 2 games let alone one that gave up 5 goals and was pulled twice in half of his first six starts or so.

Reality is a poor team is likely to be dominated by a decent team more often than get an upset. When a decent team scrapes out an OT win that's not a lot to celebrate, especially when they struggle to beat or even compete against the teams they're supposed to be on par with.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Some people on here are never happy. They lose, you complain, they win you complain even more. This is probably the most toxic fan message board I've ever seen. No, they weren't at their best against Erie, but still had 15 more shots on goal than them and outplayed Erie for the last two periods. They also hit 3 posts.

The home loss to London, Spits outplayed them most of the game and would have won if it wasn't for the terrible giveaway by Zito to give the Knights a 2 on 0 with 2 mins remaining. The compete level is there, the scoring chances are there.

The home game against Kitchener, the Spits lost but probably deserved a better outcome considering they had almost 50 shots on goal but you guys complained. I see complaining about the offense but they have averaged 4 goals per game in the last 7 games, how can you complain about that average? Yes the PP sucks right now, you can have that. The defensive zone coverage is a weakness as well but it's been a little better recently.

I truly believe some on here prefer the team to lose so they can complain, just a toxic environment on here, comical really.

ryan-reynolds-hopeless.gif

Once again catch phrases of "toxic message board" that hadn't been used in a few months. Is this being used to continue the circular conversation??

How many times have we said they weren't at their best?? Home opener/ even the game against Sarnia where they came back they were sleeping walking for much of it. There are a few more games you mention. How can you say the Spits deserved a better fate against Kitchener?? They still gave up 6 goals and it's never about deserving a better outcome you earn what you get. Maybe Erie thinks they deserved a better fate because for much of the game they were the better team but they didn't because they gave up 2 goals in 12 seconds.

People have these discussions because to date they are the definition of an average team at best. Poor special teams, middling goaltending at this point, not scoring a lot of goals and have given up more goals than they have scored. Save your toxic message board BS for when the team is achieving something until then give it a rest.

member 71782

I mean, this could all be worse - there could be another cancelled season.

It could be better too.

If everyone dealt with the reality of things instead manipulating stats to support a false representation of what's going on then calling those who call them out negative over an honest representation of what's actually happening.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
ryan-reynolds-hopeless.gif

Once again catch phrases of "toxic message board" that hadn't been used in a few months. Is this being used to continue the circular conversation??

How many times have we said they weren't at their best?? Home opener/ even the game against Sarnia where they came back they were sleeping walking for much of it. There are a few more games you mention. How can you say the Spits deserved a better fate against Kitchener?? They still gave up 6 goals and it's never about deserving a better outcome you earn what you get. Maybe Erie thinks they deserved a better fate because for much of the game they were the better team but they didn't because they gave up 2 goals in 12 seconds.

People have these discussions because to date they are the definition of an average team at best. Poor special teams, middling goaltending at this point, not scoring a lot of goals and have given up more goals than they have scored. Save your toxic message board BS for when the team is achieving something until then give it a rest.

LOL, I remember in 2019 when the Spits were ranked #5 in the CHL you didn't give the team any credit. Fact is many on here find a way to criticize the team no matter what. The loss to Kitchener they gave up 2 empty-net goals. They had more scoring chances than Kitchener. You can't have it both ways, the team wins you criticize because they didn't play well enough for your liking. But if the team plays well and loses you, would never give them credit for playing well

Reactions: hockeylegend11

spits

Jul 24, 2013
People get all excited when the team beats the teams they should yet when they can't beat the teams they need to anyone critical is toxic.

They were the better team against Erie for two of three periods and needed OT to beat them. They got the W, great but a team expected to be a contender versus a team currently last in the conference and might battle for the last playoff spot and there's nothing in that result to critique?

Windsor, based on how people see them should have been dominant for 3 periods and beat them by at least a couple even if their goalie stood on his head.

Did that happen? Was that even close to happening?

Every hits a couple of posts every game, it's not horse shoes and it's not a moral victory when a team hits the post or crossbar. I know Legend likes to point that if not for them hitting the post or crossbar they could have had a few more, but they did hit the post and it counted for as much as them putting the puck 20 feet wide. It may be exciting during the play that they came close but it still doesn't count for anything.

People who predicted this team was going to lead the conference, the rookies were going to have an immediate impact, the PP was going to be amazing, the D was going to be the best in the league, the iffence top 3 in the league are now the ones celebrating should win games as the team doing something special while ignoring how they almost lost those should win games. Then using woulda, coulda, shoulda excuses to justify losses or say they would have this record had they only won in OT.

It's not about criticizing wins or losses, it's about giving an honest opinion based on how they played. If they played well in a loss then give them credit if they played poorly in a win then be critical.

Taking stats, particularly out of context they can be made to show whatever you want while ignoring anything you want to hide. There's more to the game then that and maybe I give too many people too much credit on for believing they know and understand that.

Ok by your logic, London must be garbage bc they lost to Flint???

member 71782

Ok by your logic, London must be garbage bc they lost to Flint???

When asked how I thought London was doing, by Legend I gave my response.

I don't think London is garbage for losing to Flint but I do think when most of their wins come in OT or to lower quality competition they're not as good as everyone makes them out to be.

There's obviously some consistency issues as a team when it comes to scoring if they need OT or shootouts to get half their wins. Then again they did put 5 behind Medina in one game as well.

London also started off with a roster that wasn't what it was expected to be while their opponents had everyone they expected.

London is a good team with the ability to get better that had an early schedule that was favorable.

Will they finish top 4 in the conference? They should.

Will they finish 1st? I don't think so.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Why not use more than a 2 game sample size to show how consistent Medina has been or to show his average? If I take the first six games he started he consistently gave up 5 goals in half the games?

Is it an honest and fair picture of how he's performed over time? No, of course not but neither is ignoring half the games he's played to show how amazing he's been.

You've been using the last 7, 8, 9 or 10 games when they had played 8, 9, 10 or 11 games, why? Does using the 2nd number change the stats to a less flattering result than you wish to portray?

How about thoughts on the overall play including versus the quality of opponent? Erie a team they should have dominated but by most thoughts on the game they didn't.

We can all wave pom poms then act surprised while we make excuses year after year for poor results or we can give honest thoughts on the games when they're played, point out the good and bad trends as they develop and understand why the results have been consistently, not always poor for years now.

We'd all take a goaltender with a 2.00 average every day of the week but most realize that it's very rare for any goaltender to maintain that average longer than 2 games let alone one that gave up 5 goals and was pulled twice in half of his first six starts or so.

Reality is a poor team is likely to be dominated by a decent team more often than get an upset. When a decent team scrapes out an OT win that's not a lot to celebrate, especially when they struggle to beat or even compete against the teams they're supposed to be on par with.

I know you disagree, I just think 1 bad period in Medina's last 4 starts, where he allowed 3 goals,is unfair,the body of work in the other 11 periods, plus 2 OTs and an extra shooter shootout is more reflective what he has been doing.
What he did game 1 vs Sarnia isn't relevant to what he has done lately.
His average has dropped more then half a goal since game 2,I just like his game during this last 7 game stretch where Windsor is 4-2-0-1.
I also think through the 1st 11 games
of this season they have been snakebit both on the PP and even strength, they have been the better team overall in the majority of the scoring chance wise and it hasn't shown completely in the points total
For example did u know that after 11 games this year the opposing goalie has named 1st star of the game 4 times
In fact it's 4 times in the 1st 9 games,
and it easily could be 6 in 9,because Brochu in game 1 in Windsor for London in the 8 shooter shootout easily could have gotten the 1st star, and in game 1 vs Sarnia Gaudreau could have got star when Windsor was outshooting them 28-11 after 2 when Medina allowed 3.
Windsor btw has 1 goalie named in the 1st 11, Downey in his 6-3 win over Guelph.
In 19/20 when we last played only 1 goalie was named 1st star in the 1st 11 from the opposition and that was Ingram from Kitchener
Windsor had 1 as well in the 1st 11 then it was Medina.
However for curiosity I took a look at the next 11 games from that year
Not 1 opposing goalie was named
Interesting both Medina and Piironen were named 1st stars in the games 12-22
So 4 goalies in 1st 9 games compared to 1 in 22 for the opposition
Big difference it's affected the PP and overall scoring.
Which is why when I see D maligned when only 20 goals scored against at even strength in last 10 after 6 in the 1st game due mostly to goaltending
It's unfair.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It could be better too.

If everyone dealt with the reality of things instead manipulating stats to support a false representation of what's going on then calling those who call them out negative over an honest representation of what's actually happening.

If you've lost a game or allowed a goal, it could be better. Does this team has flaws? Absolutely. Does this team need to improve in certain areas? Of course. Are they showing signs of improvement after a month? Yes. Are they entertaining? Very much so. Teams are going to have off nights or even off weekends. That happens, regardless of how good or bad you are. Is it their fault that the CHL put them in the spotlight before the season started? No. Most of us thought this was a season that could go either way and, so far, it has. That said, it's been a month...I'm not about to sweat a whole lot just yet. On Sat night, when I was heading into the arena, I overheard a couple of people talking about the team and one person put it perfectly - (paraphrase) - "we're barely a month into this. Talk to me after 20 games or at the start of December; that'll give a better idea of what they're about."

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
LOL, I remember in 2019 when the Spits were ranked #5 in the CHL you didn't give the team any credit. Fact is many on here find a way to criticize the team no matter what. The loss to Kitchener they gave up 2 empty-net goals. They had more scoring chances than Kitchener. You can't have it both ways, the team wins you criticize because they didn't play well enough for your liking. But if the team plays well and loses you, would never give them credit for playing well

I have given them credit for playing well in a loss eg. London SOL, Kitchener SOL. This idea of banging the drum for a team that gets close to 50 SOG but loses by 3 or 4 goals in a game is just ridiculous. Here's the thing if they get 50 SOG and only get 1 goal there isn't anyone here saying "maybe this team isn't as gifted up front as well all thought." It's "just gotta give props to the opposing goaltender." So you have an issue if I don't give credit if they play well and lose but you have no issue with people who love to raise a banner for a win but won't say anything if they play poorly. It goes both ways you can talk about top 5 Spits of 2019 but the Spits to open this season were top 10 and people were talking about that, are they top 10 now. I have said this for years I don't care about the top 10 rankings after the top 1 or 2 it's a mish mash of teams. The people that vote in this poll only see teams in Ontario or Quebec or the West. How can a pollster from Ontario judge a team in the WHL if they don't see that team play? This is why the top 10 is meaningless. If you want to have a discussion about it that's fine but you can't tell me the difference between #2 London Knights and #5 Kamloops Blazers.

member 71782

I know you disagree, I just think 1 bad period in Medina's last 4 starts, where he allowed 3 goals,is unfair,the body of work in the other 11 periods, plus 2 OTs and an extra shooter shootout is more reflective what he has been doing.
What he did game 1 vs Sarnia isn't relevant to what he has done lately.
His average has dropped more then half a goal since game 2,I just like his game during this last 7 game stretch where Windsor is 4-2-0-1.
I also think through the 1st 11 games
of this season they have been snakebit both on the PP and even strength, they have been the better team overall in the majority of the scoring chance wise and it hasn't shown completely in the points total
For example did u know that after 11 games this year the opposing goalie has named 1st star of the game 4 times
In fact it's 4 times in the 1st 9 games,
and it easily could be 6 in 9,because Brochu in game 1 in Windsor for London in the 8 shooter shootout easily could have gotten the 1st star, and in game 1 vs Sarnia Gaudreau could have got star when Windsor was outshooting them 28-11 after 2 when Medina allowed 3.
Windsor btw has 1 goalie named in the 1st 11, Downey in his 6-3 win over Guelph.
In 19/20 when we last played only 1 goalie was named 1st star in the 1st 11 from the opposition and that was Ingram from Kitchener
Windsor had 1 as well in the 1st 11 then it was Medina.
However for curiosity I took a look at the next 11 games from that year
Not 1 opposing goalie was named
Interesting both Medina and Piironen were named 1st stars in the games 12-22
So 4 goalies in 1st 9 games compared to 1 in 22 for the opposition
Big difference it's affected the PP and overall scoring.
Which is why when I see D maligned when only 20 goals scored against at even strength in last 10 after 6 in the 1st game due mostly to goaltending
It's unfair.

Yes we will disagree a lot as we both approach things from a different perspective. I tend to use a larger body of work as well as expectations versus quality of competition while you'll stats that can be very selective. That's fine if you choose to perceive the possibility of future success lies in specific sample sizes where as I prefer the way trends are developing for the team over a larger sample size.

How has the team performed against teams of similar or greater talent? They have no wins. They have a couple of points from shootouts and that's it.

How have they performed against teams that are over achieving? You can include Flint and even OS since they've played teams that mostly considered better than them and have had mixed final outcomes but almost always extremely close losses. Windsor is 2 and 1.

How have they performed against the teams they should beat? Windsor has had mixed results in terms of final outcomes but also even when they have won it's usually been extremely close games.

That sounds like a team that is playing average hockey against lower quality opponents while struggling against teams they should be on par with.

So you can present stats that can show improvement and make them look good in certain areas if the game but it doesn't show how they've improved versus the quality of competition they've played.

The teams they need to beat to contend they haven't gotten it done once yet.

The teams they should have no issue beating they are struggling to get the wins they have.

The over achievers they've faced they have a winning record against.

The team isn't getting it done as of yet to be considered a real contender even though they have one of the better rosters on paper.

Windsor's D is average at the best of times. Has been for a number of years. They're not a stellar defensive team and they never contribute a lot offensively. Regardless of how many points they return that should be more of an indictment of just how average they've been for a few years now. Other teams are losing more to the pros while Winddor keeps them coming back for another year and as a group they always finish middle if the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad