Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
You should done your homework 7
Only Kitchener was struggling they had lost 3 straight before beating Windsor
Erie won the night before they played Windsor, the other 3 teams,Guelph,Flint and Sarnia were on 2 game winning streaks prior to losing to Windsor, nice try.

I stand by my statement

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
There is one thing that doesn't get enough talk is that the Spits rarely are playing with the lead. This week they maybe had the lead for close to 25 minutes out of a possible 180 minutes.

The Spits only led for 8 total minutes through their first 4 games. Their largest time leading has happened in 2 of the 3 Flint games. Playing catch up hockey isn't a recipe for successful hockey.

The biggest issue is that the Spits have been absolutely been terrible in the 2nd period they are a -13 on the year and playing catch up hockey a +11 in the 3rd. It's tough to have success when you're constantly chasing a game and they have had 3 or 4 wins trailing after 2 but that isn't going to lead to success either. Hence why people haven't seen them put many 60 minute performances together.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Best example of how team defense helps the goalie is Carolina. Anderson numbers best ever in his career by a mile playing with Carolina over Toronto. Our goalies seriously need that kind of defensive help in front of them.
Interesting theory, but now as good as Anderson's stats look this season, Campbell has better numbers than Anderson this season. Playing behind Toronto's defense.

Reactions: LDN and aresknights

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Don’t think anyone said team wasn’t worse with X out. My concern, is he good enough when he comes back! Without fixing this D I say he remains ok. Ok doesn’t get it done imho. I have lost all respect for this ownership and frankly BB! They bought out previous ownership, damn near forced their hands to do so. Then decide they don’t want to own the franchise?!!! Bowler continues to aid/abet this fiasco, hope he knows he’s not helping his career by doing so!! I really hoped the Savard hire was a sign they truly were going to give this a go, I guess that was fantasy!!

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
You should done your homework 7
Only Kitchener was struggling they had lost 3 straight before beating Windsor
Erie won the night before they played Windsor, the other 3 teams,Guelph,Flint and Sarnia were on 2 game winning streaks prior to losing to Windsor, nice try.

Not exactly considered hot streaks. 1 or 2 games? How were they in there last 5 games, or 7 games?
I just never know what # of games will be used as a marker by yourself.
I think if there was some consistency, it would add value to the stats and give a baseline for comparison. And lesson the perception some have that it's being selective. Would add to the convo I think.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Don’t think anyone said team wasn’t worse with X out. My concern, is he good enough when he comes back! Without fixing this D I say he remains ok. Ok doesn’t get it done imho. I have lost all respect for this ownership and frankly BB! They bought out previous ownership, damn near forced their hands to do so. Then decide they don’t want to own the franchise?!!! Bowler continues to aid/abet this fiasco, hope he knows he’s not helping his career by doing so!! I really hoped the Savard hire was a sign they truly were going to give this a go, I guess that was fantasy!!
What exactly do you want them to do differently right now? They spent big on a head coach. The team is struggling but what has the ownership done wrong recently? If a team struggles it doesn't mean the ownership is bad.

Reactions: three dog night

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Well let’s see, allow Bowler to make some moves. Yes they cost money but that’s the nature of the beast. Get some staff out there scouting players that could be of help. There’s other things I can’t divulge here your going to have to believe they are not running this team as it needs to be run.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Well let’s see, allow Bowler to make some moves. Yes they cost money but that’s the nature of the beast. Get some staff out there scouting players that could be of help. There’s other things I can’t divulge here your going to have to believe they are not running this team as it needs to be run.
This kinda goes with what I’ve heard a player say. They wouldn’t want to come here cause it is one of the worst run teams in the league.

Reactions: Teflon

spits

Jul 24, 2013
This kinda goes with what I’ve heard a player say. They wouldn’t want to come here cause it is one of the worst run teams in the league.
LOL they haven't had any issues with players reporting so I find this hard to believe. They got O'Flaherty to report from Chicago, none of the draft picks have refused to report. Remember Cuylle didn't want to report to Peterborough and wanted to come to either London, Kitchener, or Windsor. The imports have reported as well. Ryan Abraham could have easily went the college route. The owners had no problem spending for Marc Savard. It's actually known as a team and city players want to play for.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
What moves would Bowler have made but the owners said "nope, not happening"?

I don't think there's anything in the body of work with Bowler that gives people confidence. They still have to develop a much larger pipeline of players which isn't happening at this current time. We all notice that the D needs to be addressed and..... Ribau has been ok but I don't know if he's necessarily making it a large upgrade to the D.

We don't need to know if there are any moves that have been nixed we just need to look at what he's done overall. He had the deadline in 19-20 with a good team and did nothing and watched them falter in the 2nd half. This team has been average and really nothing done to make this team better or just start building for a year or so down the road.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
LOL they haven't had any issues with players reporting so I find this hard to believe. They got O'Flaherty to report from Chicago, none of the draft picks have refused to report. Remember Cuylle didn't want to report to Peterborough and wanted to come to either London, Kitchener, or Windsor. The imports have reported as well. Ryan Abraham could have easily went the college route. The owners had no problem spending for Marc Savard. It's actually known as a team and city players want to play for.
Laugh all you want. I’m pretty sure player isn’t going to make it up. But hey what do they know. They only play in the league.

Reactions: aresknights

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't think there's anything in the body of work with Bowler that gives people confidence. They still have to develop a much larger pipeline of players which isn't happening at this current time. We all notice that the D needs to be addressed and..... Ribau has been ok but I don't know if he's necessarily making it a large upgrade to the D.

We don't need to know if there are any moves that have been nixed we just need to look at what he's done overall. He had the deadline in 19-20 with a good team and did nothing and watched them falter in the 2nd half. This team has been average and really nothing done to make this team better or just start building for a year or so down the road.

People have been talking about what they think of his overall body of work on a near-weekly basis since he started. I KNOW what people think of it. When the idea is brought up that Bowler's hands were tied by the owners, I'm curious as to what didn't happen because he was told "no, it's not happening." That's a valid question; whether it can be answered or not is a completely different story.

As far as players not wanting to report - that's disappointing and raises questions, but it also doesn't negate the players who DID report/sign.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
People have been talking about what they think of his overall body of work on a near-weekly basis since he started. I KNOW what people think of it. When the idea is brought up that Bowler's hands were tied by the owners, I'm curious as to what didn't happen because he was told "no, it's not happening." That's a valid question; whether it can be answered or not is a completely different story.

As far as players not wanting to report - that's disappointing and raises questions, but it also doesn't negate the players who DID report/sign.

No idea what's going going but maybe they didn't say "no this isn't happening" with a Bowler proposed but rather said it before it even was a question.
Maybe they put the shackles on before he could even contemplate a move.
Trades, signings, call ups all have financial considerations. Again I have no idea here but it has happened elsewhere where owners have hand used a GM or limited moves due to $

Reactions: windsor7

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Does Windsor utilize a skills coach on a regular basis outside the reg coaching staff? Do they invest In strength n conditioning coaches in season, skating coaches, sports physcologist and all the other extra things to help the org.
I heard Ottawa staff interviewed n the mentioned they made an investment a few years ago to do all these things to support players development n the team. Seems to have worked out well for them since they did this n turned the org around.
Again no idea the set up in Windsor.
Had the pleasure to meet a few of the staff a couple years ago and the trainer n goalie coach stood out as solid people. But does it extend further?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Does Windsor utilize a skills coach on a regular basis outside the reg coaching staff? Do they invest In strength n conditioning coaches in season, skating coaches, sports physcologist and all the other extra things to help the org.
I heard Ottawa staff interviewed n the mentioned they made an investment a few years ago to do all these things to support players development n the team. Seems to have worked out well for them since they did this n turned the org around.
Again no idea the set up in Windsor.
Had the pleasure to meet a few of the staff a couple years ago and the trainer n goalie coach stood out as solid people. But does it extend further?

Yes to all of the above regarding skills coach,psychologist,skating coach in fact she works with Bo Horvat,Corey Perry and others,8 scouts plus a head scout,Ryan ORielly's father works for the team,there's a team chaplain, billet co- coordinator,all the names are posted on Windsor Spitfire for all to see.
I am guessing if this team were 11-8 a couple points out of 1st,none of this is even talked about.
There are disgruntled players and or their parents on every team
Are things perfect of course not,name a team that is.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Yes to all of the above regarding skills coach,psychologist,skating coach in fact she works with Bo Horvat,Corey Perry and others,8 scouts plus a head scout,Ryan ORielly's father works for the team,there's a team chaplain, billet co- coordinator,all the names are posted on Windsor Spitfire for all to see.
I am guessing if this team were 11-8 a couple points out of 1st,none of this is even talked about.

I just asked a question as some on here had suggested they are running the team on the cheap. I would have asked it if they were 11-8.
That skating works with a lot of teams. We even had her come out to minor team practice. Kicked the kids azz.
Of course there are disgruntled players on every team. Some more than others.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
WEST DIVISION

#TeamGPWLOTLSOLPTSPCTROWGFGAStreakP10PIM
1Soo Greyhounds2112900240.5711288801-0-0-05-5-0-0211
2Saginaw Spirit1810710210.5831069682-0-0-05-5-0-0221
3Flint Firebirds179701190.559959600-1-0-05-4-0-1172
4Sarnia Sting198830190.500861640-1-0-06-3-1-0227
5Windsor Spitfires198812190.500778790-2-1-05-4-1-0177
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

No fans, no money, then everything goes wrong.

Do something before everyone goes completely south!

Reactions: member 71782

Nice2CU

Oct 31, 2021
Maybe Windsor should sell Johnston too and get a package similar to what Tomasino got.
If you can get a 16 y/o like Soto back, I think you have to.

Do you feel a similar deal with Johnston could fetch 9 draft picks?? With 6 being 2nd round picks?
I'm not as warm on Soto as you are. I feel his stats are increased due to circumstances of playing with Wright

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I don't understand what's achieved by playing the what if game. Yes maybe if they won a shootout against London or Kitchener. On the other hand you have comeback OT wins against Erie Sarnia and a shootout win against Flint. They have the 2nd fewest ROW in the conference with 7. 7 ROW in 19 games is really bad. I know you don't like counting shootouts but only 7 regulation OT wins at this point is bad. Just being .500 the Spits should consider themselves fortunate. I said before the season things would be won on the margins. When you don't play with the lead a lot, when you trail going into the 3rd. You're not always going to come out on the right end.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
So first off, either Bowler is not ready for this position or he’s handcuffed by ownership. Either way it’s not helping the team.
Yes they have many of those off Ice positions filled, NOW. That was not the case for the previous few years, yes besides last years covid mess. Also my info says those positions are used less often than many teams and the pay is below average.
Of course if the record was better we’d be ok with where the team is going, BUT they aren’t are they? There are glaring areas that need immediate attention, yet nothing is happening. That’s concerning and that’s why we’re spitballing. Some may not understand my opinions, I’ve grown up with this team, played with and personally know many grads, personally know many league scouts and officials and I’ve coached at a pretty high level. My opinion is still just that opinion, but I’d like to think from an inside pov. My biggest concern, this team gets bought by out of town interests and moved!! You run a team down long enough, you loose fan base and before you know it you loose your team!! The O is in a great deal of flux and I can almost anything happening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1