Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
One of the highest-scoring teams in the entire CHL and it's all going to waste with Jr. B level defense and goaltending. Right now Windsor has by far the worst goaltending in the league, and it's not even close. Almost every shot from the slot is a goal.When is Medina expected to return? If it's not by next weekend, either acquire a goalie or give up on the season and sell. I know he's not a star goalie but you realize how much better he is than the current goaltending. With regards to the defensive play, again it's missed assignments leading to odd-man rushes etc. Either the players don't listen to the coaches, or the coaching is non-existent. Savard appears clueless to be honest.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The forwards are okay, but you can't score five goals a night and think "are we going to win still?" This club needs a nasty, in-your-face defenceman, who will clear anyone from in front of the net. Ribau and Renwick are physical at the blueline, but players are still getting to the net. They also NEED a starting goaltender. If Medina's out, get someone who can play. Tovell is okay but he needs a good defence in front of him. Downey's going to be great but, again, needs that defence. They make the saves but also need that stud starter to learn from.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
A couple tough defeats but one point tonight

Agreed, Spits with a great comeback down 5-2,and sending game to OT,terrible 2nd period again before coming back,goaltending fine in the 1st,not so good in the 2nd,better the rest of the way ,not blaming anybody for losing 3 on 3 in OT.
Positives
Spits go 4-6 on the PP
Spits kill 4/5 on the PK,only goal
was on a terrible 2 man advantage call by refs late in 1st,they scored with 13 seconds left in the penalties.
Interesting Spits are now 8th overall on the PP,4th on the road,20th at home.
PK Windsor is 4th best on the road,but league worst 20th at home.
Other Positives
Oliver Peer and Chris O'Flaherty
score their 1st OHL goals
Rookie Ethan Martin picks up nice
assist on O'Flaherty 's goal,his 2nd
point in as many games.
11 different players had at least one point.
Daniel D'amico has his best game of the season 1G,1A,better play lately
from him
Gotta give team for not giving up
At the end of the day this team misses Medina more then what most will admit.
They were on a roll till he got hurt,and so was he.
Can't have 2 other goalies averaging 4.50 plus against and win constantly
Now they have not been terrible all the time but they need to better.
And yes the team has to play better in front of them too and they must be aware the tenders won't bail them out like Medina can all the time.
Spits are 3-0-1 the last 4 games on the road.
Need to improve at home
Will probably get Sobolev back in the lineup by Thursday vs Erie.
I would definitely be playing Martin,Peer and O'Flaherty more moving forward.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
And in other news

Cen Jean Luc Foudy continues

to light it up in the AHL

GP-17,1G,3A,4Pts,2Pim,-7

Not!!!

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
This defense needs 2 goalies in the net at the same time to plug the poor coverage. Yes Medina was on a roll his last 3 games before he was hurt. Those 3 games were against bottom teams. I also remember that he was 1-3 before that stretch and was pulled twice. Yes I think Medina can knock a goal per game off the score sheet but that still leaves this team with way too many GA. As the season progresses teams normally tighten up and goals become harder to score. That leaves us in a bad spot if we can't change the culture defensively on this team. We need more than 1 D and a goalie to fix things by trades alone. If the culture remains so will the issues with the schemes and or lack of disciplinary action against those who continuely gift wrap odd man rushes and zero coverage around our net.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I don't understand why Tovell is the preffered goalie. He and Downey appear to be about equal. Tovell has no future with the club. He is 19 and will go back to LaSalle when Medina is healthy. Put the workload on the 17yo and leta see what we have. Can he become a Number 1 OHL goalkeeper or do we need to look elsewhere. we won't find that out if he is Tovell's backup.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
This defense needs 2 goalies in the net at the same time to plug the poor coverage. Yes Medina was on a roll his last 3 games before he was hurt. Those 3 games were against bottom teams. I also remember that he was 1-3 before that stretch and was pulled twice. Yes I think Medina can knock a goal per game off the score sheet but that still leaves this team with way too many GA. As the season progresses teams normally tighten up and goals become harder to score. That leaves us in a bad spot if we can't change the culture defensively on this team. We need more than 1 D and a goalie to fix things by trades alone. If the culture remains so will the issues with the schemes and or lack of disciplinary action against those who continuely gift wrap odd man rushes and zero coverage around our net.

In the 7 games,Medina has missed team has allowed just under 5 against,no doubt in my mind it would be almost 2 goals less per game if he were playing.
Those 3 teams you are talking about Flint, Sarnia and Erie just beat recently SSM by Erie,Flint over London,and Sarnia twice last weekend over London.
Medina struggled early,his last 5 starts 2.90 average and as I wrote before 1 bad period in 15 where he allowed 3 and got pulled the rest he was trending upward.
Currently he sits 10th in the league for goals against average,4th in the conference.
Unfortunately his replacements have not played near top 10 status in his absence either Tovell or Downey

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I don't understand why Tovell is the preffered goalie. He and Downey appear to be about equal. Tovell has no future with the club. He is 19 and will go back to LaSalle when Medina is healthy. Put the workload on the 17yo and leta see what we have. Can he become a Number 1 OHL goalkeeper or do we need to look elsewhere. we won't find that out if he is Tovell's backup.
I agree. Downeys GGA and save percentage are now both better than Tovell. What is does prove by playing Tovell is how bad the defense is and it is not resting on all bad goaltending. We can't expect miracle workers in net to give us a chance. I'd like to see them play with a defense in front of them to properly gauge what skill potential they really have. Hard to gain confidence when you know no one has your back out there to help. Makes you adjust your game from maybe trying to smother all pucks instead of kicking one out because you know nobody from your team will get the rebound. Hard to come out and challenge shooters when they are camped behind your D waiting for a tap in.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016

I agree completely. I was a bit shocked when Tovell didn’t get the same treatment as Downey on Friday and get yanked.

IMO, worst performance we’ve seen from Tovell. The D collapsed a bit at times, but they blocked more shots last night than I’m used to. Tovell had a great 3rd, but I was convinced a beach ball would’ve snuck past him up to that point.

Get Downey the experience now, and give him the feeling of being the #1 guy, and see if that’s something he could do for us down the line.

I don’t think goaltending is THE issue, but trading for a mid-top tier starter would be quicker and cheaper than fixing the D.

Ladd has been the most reliable, and was looking solid last night.

I’m liking Martin, and if he keeps it up, he’d be great to hold onto.
Im also enjoying what Peer brings to the table.

A body on the back end that could clear some guys out, would go a long way. I think that’s the #1 priority of we’re looking to add something unless Medina’s out for a very long time.

Medina/Downey works. Tovell/Downey doesn’t.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Medina struggled early,his last 5 starts 2.90 average and as I wrote before 1 bad period in 15 where he allowed 3 and got pulled the rest he was trending upward.
I know it is minor but he had 2 bad periods really. 2 goals on 8 shots in 2nd and then 3 goals in third before being pulled in OS game.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I know it is minor but he had 2 bad periods really. 2 goals on 8 shots in 2nd and then 3 goals in third before being pulled in OS game.

Except both goals in the 2nd period near the end were on the PP and he had no chance on either if you saw them both live and on tape you would agree.
He got pulled that game because of the poor 3rd.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I agree completely. I was a bit shocked when Tovell didn’t get the same treatment as Downey on Friday and get yanked.

IMO, worst performance we’ve seen from Tovell. The D collapsed a bit at times, but they blocked more shots last night than I’m used to. Tovell had a great 3rd, but I was convinced a beach ball would’ve snuck past him up to that point.

Get Downey the experience now, and give him the feeling of being the #1 guy, and see if that’s something he could do for us down the line.

I don’t think goaltending is THE issue, but trading for a mid-top tier starter would be quicker and cheaper than fixing the D.

Ladd has been the most reliable, and was looking solid last night.

I’m liking Martin, and if he keeps it up, he’d be great to hold onto.
Im also enjoying what Peer brings to the table.

A body on the back end that could clear some guys out, would go a long way. I think that’s the #1 priority of we’re looking to add something unless Medina’s out for a very long time.

Medina/Downey works. Tovell/Downey doesn’t.

I am expecting Medina to miss the next 2-4 games,pretty sure 2 for sure,so doubt he plays Thursday vs Erie,and at Sarnia Friday.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Sell, Sell, Sell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry but Sell,sell,sell is not the answer. Ownership would like to sell, sell, sell the team but they waited too long. Methinks they should be suing the "Branch Dividians" for stopping the Spitfire sale to Dentures R Us. That has cost them big bucks. The team (IMHO) will sit on it's collective hands in hope of selling itself and saving $$. If they can find a buyer foolish enough they are long gone. Cornwall might be their next stop...

Reactions: member 71782

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Agreed talking about Medina is whistling past the graveyard. Look at the D in front of the goalies it's not a stretch to say collectively as a unit they're terrible. My thing is why the Spits are valuing Tovell over Downey (in his draft year). There are a lot of things that need to change not only to get this back on track this year but moving further down the line. This team seemingly only wants to play when they're trailing when there's a sense of urgency. How about showing up for at least 50 minutes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad