Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
School will likely always be an option. If he's got a chance to play a season or two (or more) with his brother, take the opportunity. I'm happy for the guy.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I agree have some fun while you can. As long as the package will wait.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I believe in the contract, you have 18 months to enroll after your last regular season game played. Which in his case would have been in back in Mar when they announced season was over.

Reactions: punch1943

member 71782

OHL ups the ante, makes significant changes to player benefit packages

From the article dated Feb 20th 2014

The amended package now gives a player 18 months from the end of his overage year – the year a player competes as a 20-year-old – regardless of when he leaves the league, to use the education funds. So, if a player left the OHL at 19, he’d have 30 months to receive funding to assist with post-secondary education. In addition, if the player now signs an AHL deal, his package remains valid.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Cfaub: Thanks for the info. So no reason not to take a chance at all.
On another note I see Kingston is looking for a GM and saw a rumor WR has his house up for sale. Also there are probably some jobs opening up in Seattle. Wonder if ....

Reactions: member 71782

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
OHL ups the ante, makes significant changes to player benefit packages

From the article dated Feb 20th 2014

The amended package now gives a player 18 months from the end of his overage year – the year a player competes as a 20-year-old – regardless of when he leaves the league, to use the education funds. So, if a player left the OHL at 19, he’d have 30 months to receive funding to assist with post-secondary education. In addition, if the player now signs an AHL deal, his package remains valid.
I know I'm splitting hairs but for Boka it is 18 months but if a player leaves at 19 they get 30 months ( almost 3 years) . I think that is why I remembered/thought it was a 3 year thing. Regardless thanks Cfaub for posting the correct info.

Reactions: member 71782

member 71782

I know I'm splitting hairs but for Boka it is 18 months but if a player leaves at 19 they get 30 months ( almost 3 years) . I think that is why I remembered/thought it was a 3 year thing. Regardless thanks Cfaub for posting the correct info.

To be honest I thought it was 3 years as well. I remember the change that they could sign a non NHL pro deal but I thought the time was extended to that length as well. OHLTG posting what he did made me look it up since I was thinking the same as you were.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
First I wish Dale Hawerchuck the best fight in his cancer again.
Those who thought that selfishness doesn't effect the return of the OHL. The Florida Marlins team voted to go ahead and play knowing they had positive cases on the team. Cancelled games and now at least 11 players and 2 coaches now positive in a couple of days. NBA player out on a hall pass from the bubble to attend a funeral has the need to go to a strip club. Examples of greed and selfishness that will affect the return to OHL hockey.
Will winning the Stanley Cup this year not have a big asterisk? Teams potentially playing with short bench due to positive cases or quarantined players that had close contact. Without fans in the stands we know that will affect the performance of many players. So is it real hockey?
They are only playing to save TV revenue. Fans make the sport. As for a return to the OHL, I don't even have a guess. We are not even in stage 3, 4+ months later. Ontario refused the Blue Jays from playing with travelling players. The tone has been set. I would be surprised if there is a 20-21 OHL season at all. With the big buck pro sports failing to return so far, I don't see the OHL coming up with a solution anytime soon.
I truly want a return to normalcy, it will take every single person to do their part to make that happen. So to conclude, selfish people will dictate to when the OHL returns to play. Anyone on here attend that party in Brampton on the weekend? Have fun paying your fines idiots. Maybe parties here are not 200 plus people, but we all know it's going on here to a degree as well.
As per the Windsor Star, believe it or not, run into 100 strange people in Essex County and you have a 58% chance of being in contact to a positive case. OHL exists only with paying fans. Cedar point has quit taking reservations at 1/2 capacity because they don't have enough patrons willing to risk it. I'm sure the thought of attending a game at the WFCU center right now pails in comparison.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
As for a return to the OHL, I don't even have a guess. We are not even in stage 3, 4+ months later. Ontario refused the Blue Jays from playing with travelling players. The tone has been set. I would be surprised if there is a 20-21 OHL season at all. With the big buck pro sports failing to return so far, I don't see the OHL coming up with a solution anytime soon.

Ontario gave the Jays the OK; it was the Federal Gov't who said "whoa, hold up!'

One of the issues with the Jays is where they're travelling to - the hot spots. You don't have the same situation with the OHL. Yes, you're going to the US, but PA/MI aren't as bad as some of the states (like FLA).

The rumour of the day is the OHL looking at a variety of start dates, ranging from Oct 1 - Jan 1. My guess (strictly that) is nothing happens until the US border opens up.

The Brampton party is insane. It's one thing to have dozens of people socially distant, but 200 in a house? That's irresponsible right now. Personally, I'd be okay with attending games if I'm wearing a mask and not huddled together in a group. But, that's just me.

Reactions: Cherrydon

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
First I wish Dale Hawerchuck the best fight in his cancer again.
Those who thought that selfishness doesn't effect the return of the OHL. The Florida Marlins team voted to go ahead and play knowing they had positive cases on the team. Cancelled games and now at least 11 players and 2 coaches now positive in a couple of days. NBA player out on a hall pass from the bubble to attend a funeral has the need to go to a strip club. Examples of greed and selfishness that will affect the return to OHL hockey.
Will winning the Stanley Cup this year not have a big asterisk? Teams potentially playing with short bench due to positive cases or quarantined players that had close contact. Without fans in the stands we know that will affect the performance of many players. So is it real hockey?
They are only playing to save TV revenue. Fans make the sport. As for a return to the OHL, I don't even have a guess. We are not even in stage 3, 4+ months later. Ontario refused the Blue Jays from playing with travelling players. The tone has been set. I would be surprised if there is a 20-21 OHL season at all. With the big buck pro sports failing to return so far, I don't see the OHL coming up with a solution anytime soon.
I truly want a return to normalcy, it will take every single person to do their part to make that happen. So to conclude, selfish people will dictate to when the OHL returns to play. Anyone on here attend that party in Brampton on the weekend? Have fun paying your fines idiots. Maybe parties here are not 200 plus people, but we all know it's going on here to a degree as well.
As per the Windsor Star, believe it or not, run into 100 strange people in Essex County and you have a 58% chance of being in contact to a positive case. OHL exists only with paying fans. Cedar point has quit taking reservations at 1/2 capacity because they don't have enough patrons willing to risk it. I'm sure the thought of attending a game at the WFCU center right now pails in comparison.

What happens with the Miami Marlins will have absolutely zero bearing and correlation to if there is any OHL hockey this year. What happened with them is exactly what is going to happen with players of many teams if this season goes on. Miami goes from practicing in Miami over a week ago, flying to Atlanta staying in a hotel for a couple days (2 Atlanta players got covid) then flying to Philly. Heck a few players for the Reds caught covid and they haven't moved from their city since the reboot started. The MLB plan was always fraught with skepticism due to the fact they can't play in a bubble. For the same reason the OHL probably can't come up with a viable plan because of billets/school/teenagers etc.. Teams coming in and out of a city in a day isn't a good plan.

Why did The Basketball Tournament become successful?? They were in a bubble 1200 tests and only 3 positive cases.

Why has the NBA plan been successful to date?? 0 cases of covid since arriving in the bubble and the initial lockdown.

Why has the NHL plan been successful so far??

They're all in a bubble.

I really enjoy your posts but you can't put the onus on stuff happening in different countries and correlate it to where 17 teams play in a hockey league and most likely can't get off the ground because they have to have fans in the stands to survive.

The 58% chance of being around someone in Windsor Essex and catching it depends on so many different factors. There are over 1400+ resolved cases, around 700 unresolved cases as of now with approximately 900+ being in the last month alone and 80% of those are from Leamington/Kingsville. I feel fortunate to be in a town that hasn't had a case in 8-9 weeks(knock on wood) but I would be naive to believe there haven't been people from Windsor/Leamington/Kingsville in where I live over those past weeks etc...

The OHL is probably the least of the concerns or should be. Biggest one needs to be how you can get 200+ people into individual schools come Sept while maintaining social distancing (pfft), making sure everybody is protected while we are at a stage of only allowing 50 people indoors. Soo owner already said 30% capacity for their arena until January is untenable while he should probably get ready for it. 30% of WFCU is 2100 or so I would love for someone to explain how that will happen this year....

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Ontario gave the Jays the OK; it was the Federal Gov't who said "whoa, hold up!'

One of the issues with the Jays is where they're travelling to - the hot spots. You don't have the same situation with the OHL. Yes, you're going to the US, but PA/MI aren't as bad as some of the states (like FLA).

The rumour of the day is the OHL looking at a variety of start dates, ranging from Oct 1 - Jan 1. My guess (strictly that) is nothing happens until the US border opens up.

The Brampton party is insane. It's one thing to have dozens of people socially distant, but 200 in a house? That's irresponsible right now. Personally, I'd be okay with attending games if I'm wearing a mask and not huddled together in a group. But, that's just me.

From talking to certain people; I can gather the border won't be open until November at the earliest. There isn't anybody in the USA that has the appetite to discuss border re-opening with an election planned for Nov 3rd. After that depending on things?? Sure. Until then you are still free to travel to the states by plane you will just have to quarantine here for 14 days when you return. I have a friend that really needs to get to somewhere in Michigan they're taking a flight from Toronto to Detroit in a few weeks. Delta has the right idea flying in the states and have been praised for how they have retro fitted and prepped everything. Going on a flight is probably safer than being in an arena for the current time.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I've seen multiple people talking about flying to-and-from the US; it's met with mixed reaction. I can understand it, as long as you follow the strict guidelines and don't mind the quarantine rules.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, perhaps), so much has changed week-to-week that it's almost impossible to tell how things will be by mid-Sept or Oct. By then, you could have teams be allowed to travel between the countries as long as they live in a bubble on either side of the border.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I've seen multiple people talking about flying to-and-from the US; it's met with mixed reaction. I can understand it, as long as you follow the strict guidelines and don't mind the quarantine rules.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, perhaps), so much has changed week-to-week that it's almost impossible to tell how things will be by mid-Sept or Oct. By then, you could have teams be allowed to travel between the countries as long as they live in a bubble on either side of the border.

Bubble not going to work in ohl.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I have to agree that the chances of the OHL playing this seaon are slim and none. A few teams in the OHL might be able to handle the extra costs involved but most wouldn't. MLB, NFL & NHL have the pot of Gold (TV revenue) to back them up, but no such luck for the CHL/OHL. As for teams like the Spits most probably depend on local TV/radio who use mostly volunteers to get the games on. No money coming in. Billeting players would be a nightmare to say the least. STH would be at an all time low this time round and revenue from concessions just a drop in the bucket. I love to predict things but when or if the Spits play again is not one of them.

Reactions: Cherrydon

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Pre-clearance testing for COVID-19 likley part of border solution | Windsor Star

“The people I speak to who know the opinions of the administration in Washington say no one has an appetite to touch the issue until after the U.S. election (Nov.3),” Anderson said.

That was 3 days ago and the stuff I mentioned in the response I was told 2-3 weeks ago. Individuals in congress and lawmakers were pushing hard but it came to no avail. Why did it come to no avail if there was such pressure???

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Pre-clearance testing for COVID-19 likley part of border solution | Windsor Star

“The people I speak to who know the opinions of the administration in Washington say no one has an appetite to touch the issue until after the U.S. election (Nov.3),” Anderson said.

That was 3 days ago and the stuff I mentioned in the response I was told 2-3 weeks ago. Individuals in congress and lawmakers were pushing hard but it came to no avail. Why did it come to no avail if there was such pressure???

It came to no avail because Canada said no. The group of 29 sent an open letter to Bill Blair. US wants it open, Canada doesn't. It makes perfect sense to plan for an opening at some point for sure.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
Preds vs. Yotes, Taylor Hall mixing it up with Ryan Ellis all game, rocked him with a hit and they even drop the gloves. Never thought I'd see this :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad