Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
According to the Windsor Star, Staios requested a deal closer to home to be with his family. Very understandable.

Bowler also said this move gives others playing time and there's no other moves "in the near future."

Shocker.
Players requesting trade.
This might turn into a pattern.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

I see the summer has not softened your posting style at all Windsor7. LOL a spade is a spade and never afraid to call it such nothing wrong with that. Good Luck hope to see Windsor bounce back to the powerhouse days with this being the start to it all.

Nice haul on the Staios deal ...... somebody wanted their son pretty badly?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The value is good in that deal because they need the picks. Hopefully they hang onto those picks though.

A few other thoughts though. So who else besides Corcoran is going to provide offense from the blue line??? Teams that are near the top in offense usually have guys on the back end that can push the pace and get the puck up to the forwards. Maybe Rafkin can do that but by all accounts he's not that type of D.

It's obvious Staois wanted out, just like Frasca and just like Morgan. Bowler, the coaching staff and the players have a lot of work to do in regards to making this franchise a destination spot for players again. If anything it speaks to even with a new GM it didn't matter to Staois he didn't want to play for Letowski anymore. I wonder how many players ask out before Bowler realizes that the problem isn't necessarily the player but the coach. I hope Bowler talks to ownership and kindly states that he can't keep moving players that aren't happy here and not receive any bodies in return. The signs are there for this to be another rebuilding year. You can't move a 3rd year D not receive a body in return and still speak to having a real good year. I can see them hanging middle of the pack and then decide to move Purboo/Boka/Douglas and start receiving more picks. Spits need to get the picks but we need to be open minded and realize moving Frasca and Staois doesn't make this team better. It most likely puts them down a rung or two.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I have to agree with those who rated Staios as a 3/4 D-man on this Spit team. Apparently there are those who considered him as arguably the Spits top D-man. To me he was a bit of a riverboat gambler who had good and bad moments. A valuable player yes. Size/physicality his achilles heel. I ‘m hoping Rafkin will replace him as a top 4 D-man right off the bat.
This helps restock the cupboards and makes up for the Maggio over payment.
It does weaken the Defensive depth and does nothing for the potential goaltending shortfall.
My hope is we can bolster those areas without using draft choices. Perhaps we could use a novel approach..a pure hockey trade.

Reactions: member 71782

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
It would be great to see The Spits take a different approach this season.
TL was excellent working with the defence under RT. He has the knowledge to better the team, but it appears he does not have the leadership to bring the best out of this team. Wipe out the systems used and come with something different. The Bowler Affect needs to be applied?

Reactions: Sec108

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I think this was a coup of a trade. Staios' father wanted his kid home as his development wasn't progressing here and Windsor could get an overpay for that situation. I don't think any other team in the league gives up all those picks (and takes on the education package liability) for Nathan given his first two seasons here.

His father wants a change to re-boot his kids career. First round OHL picks are seen as NHL prospects, two years here and the kid goes undrafted. He needed a change.

I mean Staios can't ask for a trade and then his father's team say "we don't want him here though". And the father's team can't try and low ball the Spits by talking down Nathan.

I think Bowler played some hardball here even.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
So today, the journey begins again with the start of camp. I'm remaining positive to start the season. Excited to get things rolling and have some actual results to discuss. Been a real long summer. P.S.-TL hopefully has been put on a short leash. I truly believe TL is more of the wildcard going in than the roster is. GO SPITS GO!!!!!

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I have to agree with those who rated Staios as a 3/4 D-man on this Spit team. Apparently there are those who considered him as arguably the Spits top D-man. To me he was a bit of a riverboat gambler who had good and bad moments. A valuable player yes. Size/physicality his achilles heel. I ‘m hoping Rafkin will replace him as a top 4 D-man right off the bat.
It does weaken the Defensive depth and does nothing for the potential goaltending shortfall.
My hope is we can bolster those areas without using draft choices. Perhaps we could use a novel approach..a pure hockey trade.

Good shout on the Maggio overpayment. We were forced to overpay to appease ownership to bring the local kid home (Maggio family connected to Savage though businesses) - so we could say "look at the price we paid for a 5th round pick" to sell the ask return for Staios.

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I would agree for the most part. I don't think you can ever make up for an over payment eg. Maggio because it doesn't necessarily make you whole again. The thing is if Nathan wasn't happy with his development isn't that an indictment of this coaching staff eg... Mike Weber?? The issue is too much blame is being put on the players and yes they have to accept some blame. When does the coaching staff have their feet put to the fire?? Easier to change out players than a coaching staff I guess because you know it would cost money to move coaches out.

member 71782

Bowler did fairly well in the Staois deal. I don't know if I would consider it an overpayment or anyone getting fleeced. A solid return for a kid who's played in situations he wasn't ready for from year one here and because of that his development has been affected. In the end I think everyone walks away satisfied with the deal but as has been pointed, regardless of what anyone thinks of his play that's a hole left from a third year, first round pick that needs to be filled. The big question is do they move those assets to fill it with someone experienced or do they hang onto them, turn within to fill it with a younger kid and the team itself maybe takes a step back?

This team's future lies with the 02s and hopefully the 03s. The league as a whole didn't have the greatest group of 01s across the board. There's obvious exceptions but the 01s in general have been not as high a tier as the O is used to having as the NHL draft showed. Not a lot of kids went early. So do they look for another 01 to replace him? Do they get older with an OA or 00 to help with experience on the backend which likely carries a hefty cost unless there is a freebie available which probably doesn't much more, if anything than Stevenson currently brings.

IMO, if the speculation has any merit that the future is still uncertain I would say take the step back this year, develop the kids. It will mean another mediocre year which we are all tired of seeing but Windsor isn't contending this year, next year with the OHL hosting the cost to acquire high end talent will be extremely high and while Windsor may end up with the assets if they make a few more moves will they have enough depth and experience to justify spending all they have?

I think 21/22 becomes the logical year to build towards. They can move a few more pieces out for picks or youth, bring in a freebie if there's one available which allows current vets to be moved for assets and develop from within. Next year they should be ready for a solid run without having to add anything and potentially having the ability to make a sideways move for more picks/young players while keeping their core of 02s/03s and a young group of 04s for 21/22.

I can see four or five more players moved between now and the deadline. Some won't have much value, others will have more value in picks than players. Make those deals when the time is right then decide if they add a high end 02/03 at the deadline with some of those assets they acquire or take a lower tier 01/02 back to add some depth as part of some of those deals.

For now, unless there is a freebie available, run with the kids, see what you have before making any decisions. There's time for nine game tryouts/B card signings if they are willing to make the investment.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Bowler did fairly well in the Staois deal. I don't know if I would consider it an overpayment or anyone getting fleeced. A solid return for a kid who's played in situations he wasn't ready for from year one here and because of that his development has been affected. In the end I think everyone walks away satisfied with the deal but as has been pointed, regardless of what anyone thinks of his play that's a hole left from a third year, first round pick that needs to be filled. The big question is do they move those assets to fill it with someone experienced or do they hang onto them, turn within to fill it with a younger kid and the team itself maybe takes a step back?

This team's future lies with the 02s and hopefully the 03s. The league as a whole didn't have the greatest group of 01s across the board. There's obvious exceptions but the 01s in general have been not as high a tier as the O is used to having as the NHL draft showed. Not a lot of kids went early. So do they look for another 01 to replace him? Do they get older with an OA or 00 to help with experience on the backend which likely carries a hefty cost unless there is a freebie available which probably doesn't much more, if anything than Stevenson currently brings.

IMO, if the speculation has any merit that the future is still uncertain I would say take the step back this year, develop the kids. It will mean another mediocre year which we are all tired of seeing but Windsor isn't contending this year, next year with the OHL hosting the cost to acquire high end talent will be extremely high and while Windsor may end up with the assets if they make a few more moves will they have enough depth and experience to justify spending all they have?

I think 21/22 becomes the logical year to build towards. They can move a few more pieces out for picks or youth, bring in a freebie if there's one available which allows current vets to be moved for assets and develop from within. Next year they should be ready for a solid run without having to add anything and potentially having the ability to make a sideways move for more picks/young players while keeping their core of 02s/03s and a young group of 04s for 21/22.

I can see four or five more players moved between now and the deadline. Some won't have much value, others will have more value in picks than players. Make those deals when the time is right then decide if they add a high end 02/03 at the deadline with some of those assets they acquire or take a lower tier 01/02 back to add some depth as part of some of those deals.

For now, unless there is a freebie available, run with the kids, see what you have before making any decisions. There's time for nine game tryouts/B card signings if they are willing to make the investment.

I would agree with a lot of what you said. Unfortunately at this stage the only way to rationalize these moves is to point to the future. At this point that's not going to impress the fan base. We talked about rebuild back in 17-18 with moving guys out, this past year moving DiPietro out. Now this year Staois/Frasca gone already. The easiest way to put it is that Rychel wasn't good at his job the past couple years and now Bowler is left having to clean up the mess.

The idea of building around Foudy-Cuylle-Maggio-MacDonald is fine and I get that. How can you reconcile that with the fact Boka/Purboo 2 OA forwards and guys like Playfair/Angle/Douglas are 19 years old with Egor being eligible for the AHL next year. Obviously there are many holes but if I was to tell you this. Wouldn't the idea be to try and contend with so many veteran forwards on the roster along with veteran D like Corcoran/Staois(before yesterday)/Stevenson/Ladd. Of course nobody thinks they can contend because it's a group that collectively has never done it on the ice together and fall short when it comes to talent.

The best we can hope for this year is to start seeing some type of plan being put out there on the ice pointing towards the future.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Let's not act like Staios wanted out because of the team. It was clearly stated in the WStar that this was family related. I'll also add that the initial reaction to the Staios trade is very positive from the fans; that was a solid return.

Thank goodness camp starts today......

member 71782

I would agree with a lot of what you said. Unfortunately at this stage the only way to rationalize these moves is to point to the future. At this point that's not going to impress the fan base. We talked about rebuild back in 17-18 with moving guys out, this past year moving DiPietro out. Now this year Staois/Frasca gone already. The easiest way to put it is that Rychel wasn't good at his job the past couple years and now Bowler is left having to clean up the mess.

The idea of building around Foudy-Cuylle-Maggio-MacDonald is fine and I get that. How can you reconcile that with the fact Boka/Purboo 2 OA forwards and guys like Playfair/Angle/Douglas are 19 years old with Egor being eligible for the AHL next year. Obviously there are many holes but if I was to tell you this. Wouldn't the idea be to try and contend with so many veteran forwards on the roster along with veteran D like Corcoran/Staois(before yesterday)/Stevenson/Ladd. Of course nobody thinks they can contend because it's a group that collectively has never done it on the ice together and fall short when it comes to talent.

The best we can hope for this year is to start seeing some type of plan being put out there on the ice pointing towards the future.

I think we are both in agreement in that this is going to keep the fans unhappy if they hit the reset button again and have to rationalize it as looking to the future once more.

I just think we are looking at a situation where our youth and vets aren't a great match together and while we have some decent assets to add for a better year this year we still need to add too much to be considered contenders and next year with the league hosting it's likely to be an arms race so if we spend this year to be better but still not quite a contender I think next year we find ourselves in the same boat where we are still better than this year but we've spent too many assets to be considered serious contenders.

Rychel never tore it down fully, he rarely ever did and so he has to be considered to be the root of the problem we are now in. Bowler has to show he can make a deal that adds while not stripping it right down, that's not going to be easy. Our kids are our top players but they're not ready to lead the way on their own yet but at the same time the few decent vets we have aren't enough to push us over the top either, even with additions. The D would need about three pieces to make us serious contenders this year or next and at least one more high end forward would be needed as well. Do we have enough to add all of that this year? Probably not and next year would be even more expensive with less assets available and we likely end back in limbo again, not quite good enough with not enough assets to be serious contenders/competitors for another three or four years after that.

If we can add, through moving a few more vets another 2nd in 2020 and 2x 3rds in, one each in 2020 and 2021 with any other assets being out in the future we would finally see this team in a position to have a solid stockpile of picks that can be used without hurting the future, solid draft prospects to add depth to maintain a sustained period of long term competitiveness and youth that would be available to move as parts of deals when needed without affecting the depth.

It would really suck to see another reset, we've seen too many the last decade but it would finally be the chance to get it right for the first time 06/07 and 07/08.

The fans won't want to see another reset but I don't think they want to se another all in moment when they don't have the assets/depth to do it right either. It's a choice between two less than ideal situations with one bringing a certain level of improved results that probably isn't sustainable and the other providing for a chance to bring long term competitiveness to a franchise that sorely needs it.

you and I agree on a lot of things and I think we both see the pros and cons of whatever decision they make here. Either way there will be an upside and a downside to what they do. I would rather have one more year of what we've seen if they show they are getting their act together than see another half *** attempt at trying to do things quick and cheap and still coming up short.

Reactions: ohl17

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I'll also add that the initial reaction to the Staios trade is very positive from the fans; that was a solid return.

Very good return IMO especially before camps have really started to get serious! I think this one was a no brainer!

member 71782

The biggest thing around the Staois return was yes, as a picks deal the return was good. from a team perspective in terms of a blueline that needed a makeover not getting a D back doesn't help the cause if the goal is to progress this year. The D got younger and much more inexperienced regardless of what people's opinions were of Staois.

For me I think after all that's gone on this team, now with picks in the bank but a line up that's still questionable in terms of the make up of it a reset would get things back on track for next year and beyond if the team is willing to pay that price.

The D was downgraded with this move so they either have to spend, likely big since that deal itself just set a value for the market or take a hit and develop kids for the future. An expensive upgrade while still needing to continue remaking the D doesn't make sense. Not getting a body back forces you to develop a young kid if you aren't willing to spend which sets the team back.

I like the deal and as much as I've complained the last couple of years about what's gone on I can live with a reset if there's clear direction in what they're doing.

Reactions: punch1943

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It's definitely a downgrade, even if you take Staio's points solely into consideration. You've just lost a 30-point guy. I get Bowler's reasoning that it gives time to others, however I hope that they have someone lined up to take his spot.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
This D unit should still be better then last year anyways so to me Staios not a big lose back there. Plus most wanted him to play forward anyways. I also think our goaltending will be just fine this year

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Let's not act like Staios wanted out because of the team. It was clearly stated in the WStar that this was family related. I'll also add that the initial reaction to the Staios trade is very positive from the fans; that was a solid return.

Cant "never" be the team..... ughh

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

So if Staois was productive, an NHL pick and the team was successful you believe he would still want out?

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Say what u will but I say they over-paid for Staois. I like the team better without him. Don’t believe for a minute it’s family related. There’s a number of bodies that can go as I also believe a run is a few years away. Good camp is open, time to see what’s really going on. I’ll have to rely on other eyes at most games. I did as I said, my season tics we’re not renewed and won’t be until TL is gone!!

Reactions: TheGremlin

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Say what u will but I say they over-paid for Staois. I like the team better without him. Don’t believe for a minute it’s family related. There’s a number of bodies that can go as I also believe a run is a few years away. Good camp is open, time to see what’s really going on. I’ll have to rely on other eyes at most games. I did as I said, my season tics we’re not renewed and won’t be until TL is gone!!

Oh I believe they did over pay as well. I think Staois is overrated but I also believe that the Spits didn't get the most out of him and he wasn't used properly. The question becomes if Hamilton can get more out of him. Morgan was very productive in Flint, MacDougall saw an uptick in Erie and now we will see Frasca and Staois what they do. If both of them turn out to be productive that will be a tough question to answer for Letowski and others.

Reactions: Teflon

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
This D unit should still be better then last year anyways so to me Staios not a big lose back there. Plus most wanted him to play forward anyways. I also think our goaltending will be just fine this year
I agree somewhat with this - last year most were complaining about Staios and his game, now that he has been moved ( good return by the way) we now see some saying it is going to hurt the team? Which one is it?
Goaltending takes a little longer to develop and I also believe it will be better this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad