Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

Just looking through the lineup:

- I can see Owen Shier getting a look and maybe some time in LaSalle.
- Kruszewski is USA or Spits, right?
- Ulicny is one to keep an eye on. He did well in camp last year so wouldn't shock me if he gets a pre-season game or two.
- Felicetti makes my ears perk up a bit. Good point totals and those PIM are unique (esp. for this era of hockey)
- Krzeminski is listed at 5'9 160. 13 points and 10 PIM in 39 games for LaSalle last season.
- I'm a little surprised the Parekh boys are coming, but I'm happy they are. They got caught in the middle of all the turmoil and you know they just want to play hockey. Hopefully they can have a good showing.

Do you honestly think anyone not signed will be taking someone's spot?

With absolutely no surprises showing up I would guess we see zero changes beyond the ones already signed.

This is not looking good.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

With absolutely no surprises showing up I would guess we see zero changes beyond the ones already signed.

Not necessarily taking someone's spot, but you could see a couple or three guys getting looks in pre-season.

member 71782

Not necessarily taking someone's spot, but you could see a couple or three guys getting looks in pre-season.

Anything's possible.

I guess it comes down to what it's going to cost to give some kids a look in pre season while the few NHL draftees we have are away at camps.

I have a feeling if there's a cost we only see whoever they've already signed. Can't see them willing to add more contracts.

Yes the young American D would be OHL only eligible so he either makes it or he goes back, no LaSalle for him. He could be signed but would have to play in the US if he's not kept with the team. He's also drafted by Youngstown as well in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That was my thought - with guys gone to NHL camps (Douglas, Corcoran, etc), you're going to have spots open. It can't hurt to give some players a look, just to see where they're at. I doubt anyone grabs a full-time roster spot. If someone does, you know they earned it.

We currently have Johnston, Zito, and Jodoin under contract from the 2019 draft. I wonder if they'll find room for a fourth.

member 71782

That was my thought - with guys gone to NHL camps (Douglas, Corcoran, etc), you're going to have spots open. It can't hurt to give some players a look, just to see where they're at. I doubt anyone grabs a full-time roster spot. If someone does, you know they earned it.

We currently have Johnston, Zito, and Jodoin under contract from the 2019 draft. I wonder if they'll find room for a fourth.

They can sign as many as they need, only four can dress come regular season, first and second plus two more full time.

Can they be signed to a tryout or must it be a standard contract if it's just for preseason games? I'm not sure about that one.

I'm sure Zito and Jodoin will see preseason action, not sure they will sign anyone else for that though if they have to be signed to a standard contract.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

No surprises. Not shocking

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Not an expert but I think Zito & Jodoin can be signed to B contracts with The Vipers then play the exhibition games + up to 9 regular season games before having to go on an A card. Of course Vipers are only allowed so many cards as well. There are also temporary cards that older guys can be put on. We had a couple guys on them last year. As we have 3 O/A guys it’s possible the Spits could use a temp on one of our O/A players while hoping to get a better O/A on waivers or at a bargain price that way we don’t need to burn a card we might need later. We do have very little experience in net. You never know what opportunities develop as training camp progresses.

Reactions: member 71782

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'd be shocked if the team went for an older goaltender. Yes, Piiroinen and Medina are inexperienced but I doubt either one wants a veteran in here now. Let them develop.

member 71782

I should clarify - those three have a legit shot to make the club this season. I wonder if a fourth will be in the same position.

I understood what you meant I just don't see them signing anyone extra to a standard agreement, if that's the case just to have them play a couple of preseason games.

There's a few who I think would be worth an extended look, possible signing and placed on a B card for now to be used as a call up. Just don't see it happening at this point.

If as Punch was saying we can sign a couple to temporary/tryout cards for the preseason without long term commitments then hopefully they do it, even if they're not needed but deserve an extended look.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'd imagine it'll take a lot to make the roster full-time (via knocking someone else from the lineup), but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. If they can mold together, as a whole roster, that can work to their advantage down the road. Look at the Erie Otters a few years ago; the team stuck together for multiple seasons.

member 71782

I'd imagine it'll take a lot to make the roster full-time (via knocking someone else from the lineup), but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. If they can mold together, as a whole roster, that can work to their advantage down the road. Look at the Erie Otters a few years ago; the team stuck together for multiple seasons.

That's where my concerns come from.

It would be nice to see a team come together when they're young and form a bond that grows as they do, and I think the current group of kids have that ability but kids/vet mix doesn't seem the most complimentary in how it's been used on the ice.

The kids can't do it alone but the current mix of vets, not all of course don't fit with the kids we're building around.

Getting either a couple of older vets prepared to take on a lesser role that can support them allowing for a couple of current vets to be moved for, hopefully for a better return or bringing in a couple of more 02s ready to be developed that can be used here if they exceed expectations or as part of other deals to add other players/picks.

The roster needs to be fine tuned, a couple of changes I'm just concerned it will be status quo.

It's time for camp, hopefully it exceeds expectations.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Just reading the interview on Spits website with Mark Packwood aka our trainer. He states his goal is to hit the playoffs with a full tank of gas. To have the players the most fit and aggressive style of team. Sounds great to me. Hope TL has got the memo re:aggressive style.

Reactions: Sec108

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
That's where my concerns come from.

It would be nice to see a team come together when they're young and form a bond that grows as they do, and I think the current group of kids have that ability but kids/vet mix doesn't seem the most complimentary in how it's been used on the ice.

The kids can't do it alone but the current mix of vets, not all of course don't fit with the kids we're building around.

Getting either a couple of older vets prepared to take on a lesser role that can support them allowing for a couple of current vets to be moved for, hopefully for a better return or bringing in a couple of more 02s ready to be developed that can be used here if they exceed expectations or as part of other deals to add other players/picks.

The roster needs to be fine tuned, a couple of changes I'm just concerned it will be status quo.

It's time for camp, hopefully it exceeds expectations.

Agreed there seems to be a lot of signs of status quo. Unfortunately looking at camp invites there aren't going to be many players if any pushing the vets.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I'd be shocked if the team went for an older goaltender. Yes, Piiroinen and Medina are inexperienced but I doubt either one wants a veteran in here now. Let them develop.
OHLTG: I guess my way of thinking is too old ‘skool’ but I tend to be more conservative and probably will always be but when I see less than 30 games OHL experience for our goalies it does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
I’m not saying the sky is going to fall down but Mr. Murphy of Murphy’s Law would bet you $$ to donuts at some stage this year our goaltenders will miss games due to injury, illness, suspension or poor play. If at some point we can pick up a veteran goal tender off the waiver wire or on the cheap maybe we could give ourselves some insurance.
If that has to happen mid-season you can bet the cost would be prohibitive. Not sure but I’m guessing Medina could be shipped to LaSalle if need be as he was not drafted this year.

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
Just realized the page was edited to say 43 attendees instead of 45.

Who had a change of heart?

What's up with Johnston?

Information overload does not appear to be something we will have to worry about now.
Do you mean Wyatt Johnston? If so, he is listed now.

Reactions: member 71782

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
OHLTG: I guess my way of thinking is too old ‘skool’ but I tend to be more conservative and probably will always be but when I see less than 30 games OHL experience for our goalies it does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
I’m not saying the sky is going to fall down but Mr. Murphy of Murphy’s Law would bet you $$ to donuts at some stage this year our goaltenders will miss games due to injury, illness, suspension or poor play. If at some point we can pick up a veteran goal tender off the waiver wire or on the cheap maybe we could give ourselves some insurance.
If that has to happen mid-season you can bet the cost would be prohibitive. Not sure but I’m guessing Medina could be shipped to LaSalle if need be as he was not drafted this year.

I don't disagree that picking up a veteran during the season is an option, especially if something happens and we need a third goaltender. At this stage, though, the crease belongs to Piiroinen and Medina, barring something drastic. Frankly, if you bring in a veteran right now (ie. during camp), with the only reason being "we need a veteran in net", you run the serious risk of losing at least one of either Medina or Piiroinen. They both need to play and battling it out with a vet isn't an opion.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
The Windsor #Spitfires @SpitsHockey have traded LD and former 1st-round pick Nathan Staios to the Hamilton #Bulldogs for 2nd-round picks in 2020 (London), 2021 (Barrie) and 2022 (Oshawa). Windsor gets Hamilton's 3rd in 2023 and 5th in 2024 if he plays an overage season.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'll say it now - that's one heck of a return. Three 2nds, all in a row and all in upcoming drafts, plus two conditionals... that's impressive. Props, Bowler.

That said, it opens up a spot on the D.

Edit: Both conditionals take effect if Staios plays an OA season.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Awesome move!

Corcoran, Ladd, Henault, Rafkin, Robinson, Stevenson

Add another player or bring in a former pick/UDFA

Reactions: punch1943
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad