Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

Unexpected but not a total surprise after some of the speculation last season.

They acquired much needed assets, Staois gets a fresh start in terms of new environment and hopefully it all works out well for him.

Just surprised he will be playing for his dad when they both appeared to think it was better to separate themselves within the league. Maybe two years of proving himself helps to clear any thoughts of him being in the league was because of family ties.

Reactions: OHLTG

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
And there it is. He’s gone home to play for daddy. His attitude was an issue and he refused a possible move to try forward. This now opens up a spot on D. Not surprised at all. This team still needs a big, body moving D man with a big shot. I’m ok with the return.

Reactions: punch1943 and OHLTG

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Good return. Also a Gold Education Package dealt away. Hmm...

Edit - This quote from Bowler -

“It’s difficult to trade Nathan because I believe he will ultimately sign a National Hockey League contract one day,” Bowler said.

Weird way of saying you think he'll make the NHL. But signing an NHL contract means the Gold Educational Package would be voided. So me thinks he had that on his mind.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
And there it is. He’s gone home to play for daddy. His attitude was an issue and he refused a possible move to try forward. This now opens up a spot on D. Not surprised at all. This team still needs a big, body moving D man with a big shot. I’m ok with the return.

Question is - who's available?

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
One positive for this org. for the upcoming season being no expectations by most fan;s the bar is low.Zero buzz.

This can be in the teams favour, they need to come out of the gate with a 5-0 record would be nice.

Reactions: OHLTG

member 71782

Now the questions is what do they do next?

Is there a second move to add someone from outside the org?

Do they fill from within and keep building around the 02s/03s? My preference at this time.

The D needed some work, this is a solid first step towards that but the question becomes which way do they go with this.

Stevenson is not a typical OA D, at least with the way this team has done things for quite a while. That being said if the idea is to add another kid from within or through trade that is not an OA then as a 7th D he fills a role without blocking development of the kids. If they are looking to upgrade on him/Staois then he needs to be moved as well.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
According to the Windsor Star, Staios requested a deal closer to home to be with his family. Very understandable.

Bowler also said this move gives others playing time and there's no other moves "in the near future."

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
A solid trade IMHO. Expect them to hold onto those picks. 3 2nds are like gold. Kind of reminds you of WR overpaying to bring Herby Kerby to the Spits.

member 71782

That 2020 2nd rounder ends up going to Kitchener correct or some other destination?

This is what I have from the conditions I've been able to find. So either the Flint 2020 or the London 2020 are likely to go which in turn would return the KIT 2024 all part of the Cuylle acquisition.

"KIT 2nd 2024 will become an earlier 2nd if Windsor acquires a 2nd in 2020 or 2021 (per Windsor Star). Tied to the Cuylle trade. Flint 2nd in 2020 or London 2nd in 2021 should go to Peterborough and Windsor retains Kitchener 2nd in 2024?"

Reactions: punch1943

member 71782

Add a couple of more 2nds and a couple of thirds and that basically puts Windsor's draft cupboard back to even with four or five seconds to spare if they aren't spending.

Get a couple more kids in the line up along with all those picks then value has been added, youth is being (hopefully) developed and if speculation is correct it should make for a nice return.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Article in Windsor Star tonight indicates that the team is really eager to get going. Boka said he hasn't been this excited to come back "in a while." He also said CSG was really good to the team and he's happy they're taking a bigger role.

member 71782

Article in Windsor Star tonight indicates that the team is really eager to get going. Boka said he hasn't been this excited to come back "in a while." He also said CSG was really good to the team and he's happy they're taking a bigger role.

While I won't question his sincerity but do you really think he would be showing up if he said anything different?

It does make for the potential of a more interesting camp in terms of a spot opening up that likely wasn't expected.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Spits fans: can anyone please provide some insight on Staios? What type of dman is he? Does he hit or block shots?

Overall I think Windsor made out well with the return of picks. Hopefully the trade pays off well for both teams.

member 71782

Spits fans: can anyone please provide some insight on Staios? What type of dman is he? Does he hit or block shots?

Overall I think Windsor made out well with the return of picks. Hopefully the trade pays off well for both teams.

He's top 4, on any team going forward but top pairing at this point is questionable. He will play physical when given the chance but can take himself out of position at times when he does. Plays with a lot of heart and emotion and at times needs to learn how to control it a bit better.

Has offensive upside, skates well and decent shot but needs to round out his game a bit more to reach his potential.

He's solid with potential to be more than what he's been so far but has taken on a role bigger than he should have been in right from day one which has probably helped and hurt in different areas.

He's a 3/4 right now playing a 1/2 role with the potential to be a 2/3 on any team before he's an OA.

Return would be fair, I wouldn't say anyone overpaid or were fleeced.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
While I won't question his sincerity but do you really think he would be showing up if he said anything different?

It does make for the potential of a more interesting camp in terms of a spot opening up that likely wasn't expected.

It came across as more relieved than anything. I won't read anything into it, but I get the feeling these guys are pretty pumped for this week to get going.

He's top 4, on any team going forward but top pairing at this point is questionable. He will play physical when given the chance but can take himself out of position at times when he does. Plays with a lot of heart and emotion and at times needs to learn how to control it a bit better.

Has offensive upside, skates well and decent shot but needs to round out his game a bit more to reach his potential.

He's solid with potential to be more than what he's been so far but has taken on a role bigger than he should have been in right from day one which has probably helped and hurt in different areas.

He's a 3/4 right now playing a 1/2 role with the potential to be a 2/3 on any team before he's an OA.

I'll echo what CFaub said. I've liked Staios for a while; good kid, well-spoken, strong, plays a passionate game.

He does well with the puck and you don't really notice it, like quietly putting together a 30-point season. Loves the speed game and using his body along the boards. Biggest issue, though, is he'll get pushed around in front of the net. We saw him try to hold his spot numerous times, but, when you're 5'8 165, bigger guys will beat you. That doesn't mean he won't try, though, and sometimes it leads to penalties.

If he can keep his head in the game, not worry about doing too much, and use his size/speed to his advantage, he'll be a really good one. The kid was a first-rounder for a reason, right?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The Windsor #Spitfires @SpitsHockey have traded LD and former 1st-round pick Nathan Staios to the Hamilton #Bulldogs for 2nd-round picks in 2020 (London), 2021 (Barrie) and 2022 (Oshawa). Windsor gets Hamilton's 3rd in 2023 and 5th in 2024 if he plays an overage season.

They way over paid for him.
Good for Windsor.
He wasn't a good fit here.
Dont need his antics on the ice too.
Dead wood gone.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
One positive for this org. for the upcoming season being no expectations by most fan;s the bar is low.Zero buzz.

This can be in the teams favour, they need to come out of the gate with a 5-0 record would be nice.

Agreed.
Bar is super low. Should be for fans with what has been showed on the ice past seasons performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad