Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

Battling for home ice at worst.

There's four teams in their conference that will be adding top tier talent that already have some topo tier talent and you feel Windsor should make a small addition or two.

You're optimistic but home ice may be pushing it. Depending on who finishes fourth I can see Windsor potentially pulling off an upset, even if they move a couple of pieces out if they can return some solid younger talent in return but I have a feeling unless they add a bit more than a couple of depth pieces the chance of home ice will very quickly disappear.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Windsor is not stacked. They are a 4-5-6 team who have played above their heads. Most here will agree they are playing much better than expected. I defy someone to say they called them to end up 3rd or higher.
How will they do in the playoffs? If they can hang onto 4th they’ll have a gambler’s share to make the 2nd round.
Nobody predicted Windsor to be in first at the halfway point for sure, but they are there. This why most are not pushing buy/sell or stand pat. It is new territory for fans and I'm sure it is unexpected by the management team as well. I don't think anyone wants Bowler to sacrifice the future for 1 extra round win this year in the playoffs but as I mentioned earlier one move might show they support this team and if it is the right move ( not a one and done) it will give the kids confidence and may very well pay dividends next year.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Absolutely imperative that they win the division if they want to win a playoff series. If Saginaw wins the division we are talking a 3-5 seed and at that point it's a flip of the coin. If they do nothing at the deadline and we are talking about a coin flip 1st round series it makes the organization and Bowler look dumb.

True.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Absolutely imperative that they win the division if they want to win a playoff series. If Saginaw wins the division we are talking a 3-5 seed and at that point it's a flip of the coin. If they do nothing at the deadline and we are talking about a coin flip 1st round series it makes the organization and Bowler look dumb.
Unless you have been and or will be privy to every conversation that Bowler is having with rival gms, what is being offered or cost for gaining a player or players your dumb word comment at the end of your post is irresponsible.
Last I know,you have never been a GM for an OHL team,in charge of a house league basketball or whatever you did doesn't count.
Or what teams are offering up for players when there are more sellers then buyers.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You know what's kind of funny? The fact we can even HAVE this conversation? If we were battling for a 4-6 seed RIGHT NOW, it'd be a clear "sell for assets, no matter what." To be even able to consider buying a few pieces is pretty neat. We've been lucky.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
A couple of games ago Saginaw was ahead of them and now they're in fifth, one point behind Windsor. Standing pat or a minor tweak or two won't keep them in the top four of the conference. Even Flint being eight points back and in sixth can catch them quickly if they make some solid additions.

People look at their record, which as Punch said they are playing much better than expected but if you look only at their record and not what others are doing and will do then you're no being realistic about what will likely happen. Minor tweaks won't cut it. If people want them to make minor tweaks then they should realize what the consequences will likely be. If they want to stay up in the standings and have a legitimate shot at getting beyond the second round then that'll cost a lot more then I think this team is willing to spend, based on Bowler's words. If getting to the second round is some grand accomplishment then some in this fan base have reached rock bottom in terms of how low they are willing to set the bar in terms of what a successful season, while spending assets looks like.

Agreed I hope Bowler doesn't wait to see what a team like Guelph does (it looks like they might sell). It may open up a spot for Windsor to get in that 4-5 spot but a team like Guelph is still as is a threat to Windsor. Erie only has 40 points and Windsor hasn't looked good against them at all this year. You can't really play the matchup game if you're Bowler you have to make the decision if you're a contender or not. If you think you are better buy big. If you don't just sell it's fine.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
There's four teams in their conference that will be adding top tier talent that already have some topo tier talent and you feel Windsor should make a small addition or two.

You're optimistic but home ice may be pushing it. Depending on who finishes fourth I can see Windsor potentially pulling off an upset, even if they move a couple of pieces out if they can return some solid younger talent in return but I have a feeling unless they add a bit more than a couple of depth pieces the chance of home ice will very quickly disappear.
I don't think the Spits will make any move that will change their destiny this year. Bowler has to know that they can't buy their way to the big show this year. You might see a move as I suggested but it will have "future" written all over it. Even after the dust settles on Friday Windsor will not be an easy out for any team. If they end up with home ice and a win in the first round they may still be a factor after that and the years beyond. Don't count these kids out of it.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Unless you have been and or will be privy to every conversation that Bowler is having with rival gms, what is being offered or cost for gaining a player or players your dumb word comment at the end of your post is irresponsible.
Last I know,you have never been a GM for an OHL team,in charge of a house league basketball or whatever you did doesn't count.
Or what teams are offering up for players when there are more sellers then buyers.

And u know?

member 71782

What type of additions do people think they can make this year and at what cost to justify making those additions?

Would an 01 along the lines of D'Amico make everyone happy? A D similar to Corcoran?

Would someone like Porco be considered similar to D'Amico? Here's the cost.

2019-10-27SAGNicholas Porco
Ian Lemieux
TOBARDalton Duhart
OSH 2ND 2020
KGN 2ND 2024
SSM 3RD 2021
OS 3RD 2022
BAR 5TH 2023
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Would someone like Lalonde be considered similar to Corcoran? Here's the cost.

2019-10-12GUEOwen LalondeTOFLTMichael Bianconi
FLT 2ND 2022
MISS 2ND 2021
HAM 2ND 2024 (COND)
FLT 5TH 2022 (COND)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Unless Rupoli or Playfair level additions are what people are talking about with depth additions, which doesn't really say we believe in this group.

If what I just mentioned, Porco/Lalonde type of deals then great. It won't put them over the top, may keep them in the hunt for home ice and getting to the second round but the question still remains, where do they recoup the picks for next year if that's the real goal? They can move picks from this year's draft, basically forego any 2004 draft class to get to the second round this year and still only have five seconds to make a legitimate run with next year while teams like ,Oshawa have double that and others will have more as well by the time the deadline is over. For Windsor to make a run they would have Playfair and Rupoli to recoup picks with which, if they can deal them may bring a 15th each or something along those lines.

So move a couple of younger roster players, multiple seconds to get a slight upgrade, hope everyone returns next year and hope a couple of second rounders puts them over the top at the expense of the 2004 and likely the 2005 draft classes so Windsor has no depth to rebuild with.

Those two deals are from this year, long before the deadline when there's at least seven teams buying big before you count Windsor in the mix so those prices are probably lower than what it will cost to get similar deals done.

Now if moving a couple of late picks is all people are willing to spend well we already Rupoli playing every once in a while so yeah, spend picks to sit a player who's going to sit makes perfect sense unless sitting the kids who are playing every night makes better sense.

There's an established pre deadline cost already set this year and while things can change, usually the price goes up and with probably at least seven teams already buying people thin bargain hunting will get it done?

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Oh glad you dropped in. Are you privy to conversations as well. When have you been GM of an OHL team. If you haven't drop the holier than thou shtick.

member 71782

I don't think the Spits will make any move that will change their destiny this year. Bowler has to know that they can't buy their way to the big show this year. You might see a move as I suggested but it will have "future" written all over it. Even after the dust settles on Friday Windsor will not be an easy out for any team. If they end up with home ice and a win in the first round they may still be a factor after that and the years beyond. Don't count these kids out of it.

I agree that any move they may be willing to make won't change their destiny this year and as my other posts have stated I think they can potentially upset someone in the first round even if they sell off a couple of pieces. The problem is any move they make this year to add in a worthwhile way will affect their ability to do things in the future unless they are willing to move both in and out without hurting their assets they have available.

I don't see the sense in adding for a second round exit while diminishing their ability to compete next year and beyond with a better roster. An addition for this year and next year won't be any cheaper if it's a worthwhile addition so while making them marginally better this year and hopefully much better next year your making next year even more difficult to contend in with fewer assets. If any of the players people want to keep (Corcoran/Angle/Douglas/Afanasyev) don't come back that's creating another hole to fill without the ability to fill it.

Looking at any team that's gone on a run they've added pre season, early in the season and even the season before but they've all added at the deadline as well and while adding pieces for next year is a great idea and one I think should be considered you can't add for next year if you still won't have the assets because they were spent this year.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'll leave this here - while I don't know details, and I'm not about to guess details, I wouldn't be shocked if Thomas Stevenson was dealt closer to home (Orleans).

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
NB commentators just said that four Spitfires were on the bench in the second intermission watching the Canada/Russia game on the big screen hahaha
That is true. I was behind the bench. Foudy and Henault were 2 of them, I don't recall the other 2. The visitors dressing room is small and many of the players were in the hall next to the dressing room.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
So tovell goes back to his club i bet.
He had his cup of coffee. No actual game time with the club. Dont think there was "actual" a plan for him to play any of the games piironen was away. Lol

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I agree that any move they may be willing to make won't change their destiny this year and as my other posts have stated I think they can potentially upset someone in the first round even if they sell off a couple of pieces. The problem is any move they make this year to add in a worthwhile way will affect their ability to do things in the future unless they are willing to move both in and out without hurting their assets they have available.

I don't see the sense in adding for a second round exit while diminishing their ability to compete next year and beyond with a better roster. An addition for this year and next year won't be any cheaper if it's a worthwhile addition so while making them marginally better this year and hopefully much better next year your making next year even more difficult to contend in with fewer assets. If any of the players people want to keep (Corcoran/Angle/Douglas/Afanasyev) don't come back that's creating another hole to fill without the ability to fill it.

Looking at any team that's gone on a run they've added pre season, early in the season and even the season before but they've all added at the deadline as well and while adding pieces for next year is a great idea and one I think should be considered you can't add for next year if you still won't have the assets because they were spent this year.
I know you are big fan of spending no assets. I won't put names on here but we do have a spare 2nd and 4th this year that has to go somewhere. I remember you suggested rolling those and yes that could be an option.

But keep in mind that a team buying big will have a few mid-level players say an 18 year D that won't get to play much once all deals are made and they could sure use the extra 2nd and 4th in their buying power package. So we spend and get that player - player is happy they get to play more and the other team gets to but the big fish. Now before you burst out loud laughing a mid-level D on a contender would likely be developing well and would fit in this year as a 5-6 defensemen that in a couple of years may very well be a 1-2 D. Think of Ladd now and where he is likely to be in a couple of years. Sure it is only speculation but deals like this are done all the time kinda how we got Tyler Nother, maybe not a deadline deal but barring injuries he was going to be a top D for us in his last year. That is how you make deals to bring in players that are not hurting your future assets. Will the Spits do this - who knows but there is ways to get talent without paying big prices as you suggest. Not every deal at the deadline is a block buster.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I won't put names on here but we do have a spare 2nd and 4th this year that has to go somewhere. I remember you suggested rolling those and yes that could be an option.

What if the team dealt a veteran (like Stevenson), got a pick or two back, then used a few picks to get a 2000 grinding D in here? Upgrade and at a reasonable cost.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
  • Here’s what I would like to happen:
Corcoran should be dealt, of our 3 high end 00’s, he’s by far the most likely to be signed and graduate. Have the team he’s traded to add on conditional picks contingent on him returning next year.

Trade away Egor; I don’t see anyway he returns next season. If Paul Cotter graduated last season with the ability to return this year, I see no way Egor doesn’t graduate to the AHL. But add on conditionals in the event he does.

Acquire an O/A upgrade over Stevenson. I see a deal with Kingston making sense getting one of King/Brahaney... Stevenson gets closer to home and Windsor gets their upgrade on D.

I see Angle as 80/20 to return and Douglas as 60/40 As O/A’s. Both of them are worth the risk in keeping IMO since you’ll get a nice haul from Corcoran and Egor.

Then it’s possible Windsor moves one of Boka/Purboo but they both probably finish off their Junior career’s as Spirfires.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
That is true. I was behind the bench. Foudy and Henault were 2 of them, I don't recall the other 2. The visitors dressing room is small and many of the players were in the hall next to the dressing room.
That’s awesome!

Jean-Luc must’ve wanted to watch his bro win that gold medal. That’ll be him playing in the tournament as early as next season!

member 71782

I know you are big fan of spending no assets. I won't put names on here but we do have a spare 2nd and 4th this year that has to go somewhere. I remember you suggested rolling those and yes that could be an option.

But keep in mind that a team buying big will have a few mid-level players say an 18 year D that won't get to play much once all deals are made and they could sure use the extra 2nd and 4th in their buying power package. So we spend and get that player - player is happy they get to play more and the other team gets to but the big fish. Now before you burst out loud laughing a mid-level D on a contender would likely be developing well and would fit in this year as a 5-6 defensemen that in a couple of years may very well be a 1-2 D. Think of Ladd now and where he is likely to be in a couple of years. Sure it is only speculation but deals like this are done all the time kinda how we got Tyler Nother, maybe not a deadline deal but barring injuries he was going to be a top D for us in his last year. That is how you make deals to bring in players that are not hurting your future assets. Will the Spits do this - who knows but there is ways to get talent without paying big prices as you suggest. Not every deal at the deadline is a block buster.

I won't burst out laughing, I like the idea of acquiring players for the future. My issue comes from not having the assets to support a run in the future.

In your scenario a mid level D on a contender ;likely is more than a 5/6 D on this team, which would be great but the cost would be more than you're suggesting for that level of player. Even if it weren't you already have a full roster on D plus a spare. it creates depth which is good and needed but it also has the potential to slow down everyone's development, including the D you acquire and the young D currently playing every night.

My issue has nothing to do with adding per se, it's about how they're going to add this year or next without creating another long rebuild with no plan to move forward while not actually accomplishing anything o0f consequence.

If they don't add this year and hold onto who they have they have fewer assets next year with more needs to fill. I would rather see them go all in and rebuild again next year than tweak this year and be no better off next year.

If they moved a couple more players and targeted 2021/22 they could build for a 3 to 4 year run instead of one and done but holding onto all their vets would prevent them from acquiring the assets to do that.

member 71782

What if the team dealt a veteran (like Stevenson), got a pick or two back, then used a few picks to get a 2000 grinding D in here? Upgrade and at a reasonable cost.

Stevenson on his own likely returns a 10th to 15th if anything. He's a throw in for an OA deal if you're upgrading on him so to replace him you're spending much more than you're bringing in.

Reactions: windsor7

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Unless you have been and or will be privy to every conversation that Bowler is having with rival GMs, what is being offered or cost for gaining a player or players your dumb word comment at the end of your post is irresponsible.

Funny, you have criticized other GMs in the past for not making certain moves and I know you were not privy to every conversation the GMs had at the time either. Kinda hypocritical no?
Just another example of moving goalposts or playing 2 sides of a coin to try and get a dig in on someone. Pretty weak really.

Eg but not limited to.......London not trading Marner as a youngin and even thou he eventually did help his team to an OHL title and Memorial Cup. But yet you were very critical of LK staff that earlier year. And obviously no retraction of how poor you claim that decision was when they won it all ( not back door)
Your posts were public for all to see at the time ;)

So are you irresponsible as well.? Or maybe its different cause you go to practices? I dunno. Just seems hypocritical.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Funny, you have criticized other GMs in the past for not making certain moves and I know you were not privy to every conversation the GMs had at the time either. Kinda hypocritical no?
Just another example of moving goalposts or playing 2 sides of a coin to try and get a dig in on someone. Pretty weak really.

Eg but not limited to.......London not trading Marner as a youngin and even thou he eventually did help his team to an OHL title and Memorial Cup. But yet you were very critical of LK staff that earlier year. And obviously no retraction of how poor you claim that decision was when they won it all ( not back door)
Your posts were public for all to see at the time ;)

So are you irresponsible as well.? Or maybe its different cause you go to practices? I dunno. Just seems hypocritical.

Not surprised you rear your holier and thou attitude on this forum, people ask me all time why does he do this,and attack when I dont go on his team forum and raise hell.
Go ahead and stick up for the most negative poster on these boards who attacks posters,but you turn a blind
eye,rather weak
As for back door,your team had its chance before Windsor and failed miserably as I predicted then.
Dont know why you feel the need to fuel the fire here must be bored.
Windsor didn't make the rules re hosting only followed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad