Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

That was a game that the stats sure won't provide a true picture of.

Windsor controlled most of the play, no question about that. Out shot them 46 - 17. They went 0 - 6 on the PP and needed OT to get the win against the youngest and last place team in the league. While Windsor did control most of the play they didn't look good.

They win all 3 on the 3 in 3 road trip and while they looked offensively against the Soo the rest of their game in all 3 games wasn't anything special.

Let's see what Bowler does.

On the windsor7 comments, I think it's pretty funny that some would think TG or anyone else is in his head. If some think he just likes to troll he must have a lot of suckers on his line since so many bite on anything he says whether he responds to a comment or he gives the first comment. If anyone is any body else's head maybe it's all those who take the bait having 7 in their heads. If not why do they keep going and going when he has a comeback everytime?

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
They didn't trade any of the cores, though. Maxwell (never played), Lalonde, Johnston, Brassard, Bezzo... those weren't key guys. No comparison to dealing Angle, Boka, Afanasyev, Douglas, Corcoran, etc.

I'm not in the "stand pat" group, but the "tweak it" group.
Tweaking won’t get this team a championship i don’t think. Not when other load up. So if you can get something for a player that won’t be back then why not do it? I do not want to see a trade like 11 when they moved Locke who had 19 goals as a rookie in 33 games for a player that sticks around half a year. They should not be looking to trade a young guy this year.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Oct 3, 2019
Tweaking won’t get this team a championship i don’t think. Not when other load up. So if you can get something for a player that won’t be back then why not do it? I do not want to see a trade like 11 when they moved Locke who had 19 goals as a rookie in 33 games for a player that sticks around half a year. They should not be looking to trade a young guy this year.
Exactly, sell your older kids and the ones that are most likely not going to come back next season. This team really needs d’s

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Uhhhhh they had to trade Jesse Blacker/Garrett Wilson/Austin Watson/Andrew Yogan. The 4 players I just mentioned were more talented than this group you mention for Windsor.

Aside from Blacker, they weren't the core, though. The most any of those guys had was a season-and-a-half under their belt. I've also said I'm not against trading Ladd or Henault, who would be comparable (in terms of years) to Blacker. If they had traded Shugg, Nemisz, Cundari, etc... those guys, that's a whole other ballgame.

This is becoming the debate that'll never end, even after Friday. I'm guessing the holiday truce is long gone haha

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Should be a vet or 2 traded hopefully.
See if bowler has the chains off to trade.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The thing that's great about Windsor is that you are competitive this year. You will be competitive next year, and you will probably be competitive the year after. And that's with doing nothing. On top of that, it's not clear which, if any, of your players won't return next year (other than your OAs).

I would think you wouldn't want to buy big, because it might jeopardize the next two seasons. You could sell, but it's not clear which are non-returning assets.

I would think you can give this team a chance to see what they can do. Everybody gains experience, and you learn a lot more about the team, what you have, and whether next season might be a contending year. Based on who from the '00 group returns next year, you make your decision then.

A few days ago I posted that you should upgrade an OA and see how far you can go. This is the justification of that suggestion.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Aside from Blacker, they weren't the core, though. The most any of those guys had was a season-and-a-half under their belt. I've also said I'm not against trading Ladd or Henault, who would be comparable (in terms of years) to Blacker. If they had traded Shugg, Nemisz, Cundari, etc... those guys, that's a whole other ballgame.

This is becoming the debate that'll never end, even after Friday. I'm guessing the holiday truce is long gone haha
Well i’m the only one that put in a holiday truce.

member 71782

C'mon Bowler, time to tweak for a second round exit, shorten the draft board so next year and beyond when they have a true contender they still can't take advantage of it.

That's the way to do it, sustained success by having a winning product twice a decade.

Be bold like 07/08 or spend it all like 16/17, anything else is half assing things.

Reactions: aresknights

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
C'mon Bowler, time to tweak for a second round exit, shorten the draft board so next year and beyond when they have a true contender they still can't take advantage of it.

That's the way to do it, sustained success by having a winning product twice a decade.

Be bold like 07/08 or spend it all like 16/17, anything else is half assing things.

Agreed 100%. I get it you like how the team has played and want to still be decent this year but not take away from next year. If you don't do anything though you're not helping the cause for next year or the year following that. You're either pregnant or you're not. You don't dip a toe in the water you either go in the water or walk away.

member 71782

I would think the interview the other said it all.

He likes the team and won't make a deal for the sake of making a deal, it has to improve the team now and going forward.

He's not going to be dealing any kids, that would be a buyers move.

He's open to moving vets if the right offer is there, a sellers move.

The focus is still on building a sustainable, competitive product.

Now that is reading a bit into things but if he stands by it then Bowler or whoever might be calling the shots sounds like the focus is on the future and not on a one and surprise season.

member 71782

Windsor looks stacked. How do you see them in the playoffs?

It all depends what they do this week.

If they sell a couple of pieces or stand pat I see them finishing fifth with a shot at upsetting the fourth seed.

If they make a minor tweak they finish fourth or fifth and don't get past the second round.

If they are willing to go all in they should make it to, potentially get out of the conference finals but I don't think they would have enough to beat whoever comes out of the East.

Windsor has second line/scoring depth, no real star players to lead the way and this leads them to being inconsistent for long stretches. Their goaltending is improving but not contender worthy at this time. Next year could be a big year or if they are willing to sell a bit this year then two years out they would have the assets and talent to go on a long, multi year run. Spending big this year will set them up for more long years of rebuilding and making some minor additions that won't change their fortunes likely leaves them without the assets for a serious run next year or the year after.

They're a good team without the assets to support a long playoff run without causing long term pain again.

member 71782

Assuming they add a piece or two this week, I see them finding ways to get the wins and getting into the second round, at least. They have the talent but need consistency.

Question, where do you see them finishing in the standings at the end of the regular season if they make a couple of, likely small additions while everyone else around them (London, Kitchener, Saginaw, Flint) make much larger additions?

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Windsor looks stacked. How do you see them in the playoffs?
Windsor is not stacked. They are a 4-5-6 team who have played above their heads. Most here will agree they are playing much better than expected. I defy someone to say they called them to end up 3rd or higher.
How will they do in the playoffs? If they can hang onto 4th they’ll have a gambler’s share to make the 2nd round.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Question, where do you see them finishing in the standings at the end of the regular season if they make a couple of, likely small additions while everyone else around them (London, Kitchener, Saginaw, Flint) make much larger additions?

Absolutely imperative that they win the division if they want to win a playoff series. If Saginaw wins the division we are talking a 3-5 seed and at that point it's a flip of the coin. If they do nothing at the deadline and we are talking about a coin flip 1st round series it makes the organization and Bowler look dumb.

member 71782

Absolutely imperative that they win the division if they want to win a playoff series. If Saginaw wins the division we are talking a 3-5 seed and at that point it's a flip of the coin. If they do nothing at the deadline and we are talking about a coin flip 1st round series it makes the organization and Bowler look dumb.

A couple of games ago Saginaw was ahead of them and now they're in fifth, one point behind Windsor. Standing pat or a minor tweak or two won't keep them in the top four of the conference. Even Flint being eight points back and in sixth can catch them quickly if they make some solid additions.

People look at their record, which as Punch said they are playing much better than expected but if you look only at their record and not what others are doing and will do then you're no being realistic about what will likely happen. Minor tweaks won't cut it. If people want them to make minor tweaks then they should realize what the consequences will likely be. If they want to stay up in the standings and have a legitimate shot at getting beyond the second round then that'll cost a lot more then I think this team is willing to spend, based on Bowler's words. If getting to the second round is some grand accomplishment then some in this fan base have reached rock bottom in terms of how low they are willing to set the bar in terms of what a successful season, while spending assets looks like.

Oct 3, 2019
A couple of games ago Saginaw was ahead of them and now they're in fifth, one point behind Windsor. Standing pat or a minor tweak or two won't keep them in the top four of the conference. Even Flint being eight points back and in sixth can catch them quickly if they make some solid additions.

People look at their record, which as Punch said they are playing much better than expected but if you look only at their record and not what others are doing and will do then you're no being realistic about what will likely happen. Minor tweaks won't cut it. If people want them to make minor tweaks then they should realize what the consequences will likely be. If they want to stay up in the standings and have a legitimate shot at getting beyond the second round then that'll cost a lot more then I think this team is willing to spend, based on Bowler's words. If getting to the second round is some grand accomplishment then some in this fan base have reached rock bottom in terms of how low they are willing to set the bar in terms of what a successful season, while spending assets looks like.
Spend now and gain in a year or two. We just don’t have the team this year, sorry.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

Battling for home ice at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->