Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I think a lot of it comes down to that this team isn't capable of just having an okay game, get some puck luck and escape with a W. They need to play much better in order to get results because they really do lack a star type player whether it's on D or up front. This isn't a criticism but the organization paid the price for winning that last game in 2018. Foudy is a good player but he's not in the same class as a Perfetti and that's the price they paid. Not sure where they are going to find that star caliber player either.

Reactions: KyGuy9

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Anyone else hearing anything about Medinas attitude? If so pm me if you want to compare notes

I haven't heard but am curious.

Mention on Twitter that the Colts are shopping D Tyler Tucker (2000-born, 6'1 205 gritty). Cost is young player + picks. Worth a look? Apparently multiple teams are interested.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Anyone else hearing anything about Medinas attitude? If so pm me if you want to compare notes
Shed a small amount of light on this. You could divulge whether it's amount of playing time/coaches, getting along with fellow teammates without naming players directly, and if it's a player thing whether the attitude is directed towards him or he is the source of such said attitude.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR

Mention on Twitter that the Colts are shopping D Tyler Tucker (2000-born, 6'1 205 gritty). Cost is young player + picks. Worth a look? Apparently multiple teams are interested.
Gritty is needed but we had Allen last season for that and Letowski kept him on too short of a leash with physicality. The reason Rychel obtained him.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
While I agree that Letowski had a leash on last season, there's a change this season. Even last night, guys were hitting everything in sight in the first period. If you can get Tucker for a reasonable price, then I'm listening.

Oct 3, 2019
While I agree that Letowski had a leash on last season, there's a change this season. Even last night, guys were hitting everything in sight in the first period. If you can get Tucker for a reasonable price, then I'm listening.
For what??? Half a season. This teams needs solid d’s

member 71782

What's he going to do for the team versus the cost to acquire him?

Is he going to put them over the top?

On his own, no.

If the cost is for example Robinson, a top four D, if not now then going forward plus a couple of high picks does the value match if he doesn't put Windsor over top?

No.

If he is one piece does Windsor have enough to acquire the remaining pieces?

Probably not.

If there's six teams showing interest then it'll cost more than he probably returns in value at a cost that hinders the ability to make other additions.

Overpay in a bidding war that doesn't likely change much in how the team finishes at the expense of the future makes little sense.

Certainly Bowler should make a call and see what they want but I would hope they steer clear because this would be half assing things.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Windsor is is NO position to go in a bidding war for a player.

Reactions: m2m

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

If half the teams r going for thus said player, windsor should look elsewhere

member 71782

Ideally, I'd prefer a 2001-born D-man, but I wonder if there's an option for a package deal here?

Why would you support this team giving up youth and good to very good assets for a half season rental that doesn't significantly, if at all change the fortunes of this team at the cost of the future.

Is he a solid D? Yes.

He would probably be top pairing on this team while on a contending team he's a three/four D.

If Sudbury would be willing to move Byfield, Johnston, Foudy three seconds, two thirds would you want to see Bowler in on it?

Will he put you over the top? No.

Would that type of acquisition limit Windsor's ability to add the remaining pieces? Yes.

What we've seen the last three games is what we've seen, win or lose in about forty percent of Windsor's games this season. You keep looking at moves that would cost more than the value they'll return and might get Windsor into the second round and you're willing to pretty much mortgage the future or at least severely limit their options going forward in these moves.

If minor moves can't upgrade this team to a second round appearance that should make it abundantly clear how much this team needs to really be competitive.

They're not one or two players similar to what they already have, they're four or five significant upgrades away from justifying moving out youth and solid assets at the expense of the future.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
What's he going to do for the team versus the cost to acquire him?

Is he going to put them over the top?

On his own, no.

If the cost is for example Robinson, a top four D, if not now then going forward plus a couple of high picks does the value match if he doesn't put Windsor over top?

No.

If he is one piece does Windsor have enough to acquire the remaining pieces?

Probably not.

If there's six teams showing interest then it'll cost more than he probably returns in value at a cost that hinders the ability to make other additions.

Overpay in a bidding war that doesn't likely change much in how the team finishes at the expense of the future makes little sense.

Certainly Bowler should make a call and see what they want but I would hope they steer clear because this would be half assing things.

Agreed he doesn't really serve a purpose. If they just acquired a 00 in Rupoli it tells me they really aren't interested in pursuing any 00's that have moderate/large price tags stamped to them. If they were interested in upgrading they would have been in the market to replace Stevenson and get a better OA.

Reactions: member 71782

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Why would you support this team giving up youth and good to very good assets for a half season rental that doesn't significantly, if at all change the fortunes of this team at the cost of the future.

Is he a solid D? Yes.

He would probably be top pairing on this team while on a contending team he's a three/four D.

If Sudbury would be willing to move Byfield, Johnston, Foudy three seconds, two thirds would you want to see Bowler in on it?

Would that type of acquisition limit Windsor's ability to add the remaining pieces? Yes.

What we've seen the last three games is what we've seen, win or lose in about forty percent of Windsor's games this season. You keep looking at moves that would cost more than the value they'll return and might get Windsor into the second round and you're willing to pretty much mortgage the future or at least severely limit their options going forward in these moves.

If minor moves can't upgrade this team to a second round appearance that should make it abundantly clear how much this team needs to really be competitive.

They're not one or two players similar to what they already have, they're four or five significant upgrades away from justifying moving out youth and solid assets at the expense of the future.

Is bowler even capable of making 4 to 5 moves?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Is he a solid D? Yes.

If they wanted to get involved in these type of deals they really should have drafted Pinelli and made a deal with a team to acquire more picks. Then they would have been able to show flexibility in the trade market with a litany of picks, relatively the same type of team minus Johnston but he hasn't played much this year. Now the team is actually performing somewhat well and they're pigeon holed in what they can do.

member 71782

Agreed he doesn't really serve a purpose. If they just acquired a 00 in Rupoli it tells me they really aren't interested in pursuing any 00's that have moderate/large price tags stamped to them. If they were interested in upgrading they would have been in the market to replace Stevenson and get a better OA.

I agree. Bringing in Rupoli, which I'm fine with but to me it's potentially very telling.

They needed to bring someone in if they weren't going to play Jodoin and if all they wanted was a 6/7 D for depth he fits the bill.

Once they started rolling they could have looked for a 2000 or OA upgrade for Stevenson and when he was hurt it would have made even more sense.

Rupoli made them older but he didn't make them better or worse, he simply filled a need. He's a potential OA but he's their fifth potential OA for next year so adding him has to raise questions. Was he just the cheapest option? Is he there as an option for next year in case a couple of the other 2000s don't return in which case would they have not spent a bit more for a lower tier 01?

The Rupoli add, without upgrading to me says they at the least aren't willing to upgrade this year. Fill a need? Sure, if they need to but that's about the extent of their plans to add.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

How do we know that a package deal wouldn't change the fortunes, though? This team is better than expected, despite the losing streak. You don't go "all-in", so to speak, but if you can get a 2000 or, even better, 2001, for a reasonable price, you do it. I keep thinking about the Shutron/Timmins deal in 2009. The team was coming off a 1st round exit and that deal put them over the top.

member 71782

If they wanted to get involved in these type of deals they really should have drafted Pinelli and made a deal with a team to acquire more picks. Then they would have been able to show flexibility in the trade market with a litany of picks, relatively the same type of team minus Johnston but he hasn't played much this year. Now the team is actually performing somewhat well and they're pigeon holed in what they can do.

That's what happens when you hand over control without having the assurances in place that the buyer will be able to follow through

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
How do we know that a package deal wouldn't change the fortunes, though? This team is better than expected, despite the losing streak. You don't go "all-in", so to speak, but if you can get a 2000 or, even better, 2001, for a reasonable price, you do it. I keep thinking about the Shutron/Timmins deal in 2009. The team was coming off a 1st round exit and that deal put them over the top.

Windsor shouldn't be messing around with a trade war. Doesnt have horses for that race.

member 71782

Winning streak aside how have they played for at least 40% of their games including many they won?

Shutron/Timmins weren't added because they improved over a first round exit the year before. They were big time depth additions to a much better team than what Windsor has right now.

To contend Windsor needs top tier talent to fill top roles this year.

When they added Shutron/Timmins they added top tier talent for secondary roles and flexibility for their depth.

How many players on this years roster will be sought after by a contender to fill out their first line?

Probably none.

You're approaching acquisitions as though Windsor needs depth to contend, they don't. As someone posted a couple of weeks ago, Windsor has three second lines. The problem is these additions are simply adding more of the same while other teams are looking to add first line players or very good second line players as middle six depth.

Playing a first line role in Windsor doesn't make a player a star, it makes them the best option at the moment which right now can change from game to game.

Make it a package deal if you want. Unless you make it four or five players both ways Windsor only has the ability to get the job half done.

Why empty the cupboards for a second round exit if you can't get what you need to be a serious contender?

Change it to a similar quality 01, great. How does that go? More expensive which means fewer assets next year when you get full value from that player and one more player to replace next year since you would have traded away a major young player to accomplish it.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just a refresh on the Wsr/Kitch deal from 2009:

Windsor got - Shutron, Timmins, Unice
Kitch got - Lalonde, Maxwell, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd.

At the time, Shutron was an OA, Timmins had one year left, and Unice had one year left.

Maxwell had just turned 18 and Lalonde as an OA.

This would amount to... (age wise) ... OA + 2000 + 2000 for OA + 01 + 2nd/2nd/3rd.

I don't think it's THAT crazy to think we have the assets to pull this off.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Shed a small amount of light on this. You could divulge whether it's amount of playing time/coaches, getting along with fellow teammates without naming players directly, and if it's a player thing whether the attitude is directed towards him or he is the source of such said attitude.
It someone not taking responsibilities for their struggles

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Winning streak aside how have they played for at least 40% of their games including many they won?

You're not going to play every game 100%, which is unfortunate but reality. You don't get a 13-game point streak by being lucky; the talent is there. Are they going to get a stud 01 or 02? No. Will a couple of solid moves that don't mortgage the future help? I believe so. They've proven they can compete with the best in the league. I fully realize I'm in the minority here; nothing I'm not used to. The stats are there, though. They're winning games, some by a fair bit, some squeakers. A year ago, we couldn't necessarily say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad