Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I hate to say it this way, don't wish him any ill will if it was for personal reasons but after scoring his first of the season I never expected Letowski to finally give the kids a chance since they've done better before he was dropped down to the fourth line.

Let's see how they respond.
If, as Parker says, he’s a healthy scratch this is not going to end well.

member 71782

If, as Parker says, he’s a healthy scratch this is not going to end well.

May not but they have to focus on the team. There's a few players probably not contributing as much as most would like but Playfair has continuously regressed the last season plus.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Nice to see the foudy show helped take out Robinson all because he wanted the puck and wouldn’t just let Robinson take it

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Another shitty period.
How do they take a period off like this constantly.
What is the coach doing????

member 71782

Well, they look like they did the first three weeks of the season and not like they did for that nice stretch they had.

Passing has regressed to soft touches and pushing it softly ahead.

A lack of communication.

A lack of sustained physical play.

A lack of confidence.

Piiroinen stood on his head for much of the game, particularly the first half.

Robinson was struggling, he wasn't the only one but it was noticeable.

Even the coaching was questionable at times. Boka on when they needed a goal with three minutes to go. Changing up the lines makes sense but not constantly in the last eight minutes or so.

Slightly better effort, particularly to start but the team looked unsure of themselves most of the game.

Regroup and get ready for Saginaw.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Well, they look like they did the first three weeks of the season and not like they did for that nice stretch they had.

A lack of communication.

A lack of confidence.

Even the coaching was questionable at times. Boka on when they needed a goal with three minutes to go. Changing up the lines makes sense but not constantly in the last eight minutes or so.

Slightly better effort, particularly to start but the team looked unsure of themselves most of the game.

Boka line played way too much.
Coach n boka must be buddy buddy.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere

A lack of communication.

A lack of confidence.

Robinson looked like he was still hurt from when foudy and ranger player took him out.

Kari played decent overall game but once again didn’t make the key save when team needed it. 2 goals on 3 shots in 3rd. I thought he was excellent like you for first half of game.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Robinson looked like he was still hurt from when foudy and ranger player took him out.

Kari played decent overall game but once again didn’t make the key save when team needed it. 2 goals on 3 shots in 3rd. I thought he was excellent like you for first half of game.

Combination of bad defense n the "fin" has to make the key saves.
Keeping that nearly 4 goals a game average up. Lol

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Total team effort in the loss. They started off strong; can't argue with a 2-0 lead. The hitting, the shooting, the crisp passes, everything just went non-existent in the second. Stupid penalties, lack of communication, and lack of effort all contributed.

Piiroinen made some huge saves in the second. I said "this could easily be a 5-2 game right now."

We've gone from being the "Comeback Kids" to 2018-19. I don't know what's going on, but they need to figure it out soon.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Total team effort in the loss. They started off strong; can't argue with a 2-0 lead. The hitting, the shooting, the crisp passes, everything just went non-existent in the second. Stupid penalties, lack of communication, and lack of effort all contributed.

Piiroinen made some huge saves in the second. I said "this could easily be a 5-2 game right now."

We've gone from being the "Comeback Kids" to 2018-19. I don't know what's going on, but they need to figure it out soon.

Coaching!!!!!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
This is just along the lines of a record correction from the past. They have had comebacks in the past, fluke things like getting goals with the EN to tie it up in back to back games. They have relied heavily upon very good 3rd periods and playing even with teams through the first 2 periods. They just have to perform better overall in the first couple periods to avoid this type of thing.

As for Playfair this was a long time coming. Unfortunately with nobody signed to push him for a spot or even really nudge him out of the lineup completely he will eventually find himself back in the lineup at some point. He has 41 points in 151 career games and there isn't a lot of value he provides to this team on the ice.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Unfortunately with nobody signed to push him for a spot or even really nudge him out of the lineup completely he will eventually find himself back in the lineup at some point.

They had a full lineup without him, though. He was keeping either Zito, Maggio, or Johnston out of the lineup almost every time he played.

We've seen what this team can do over the last month-and-a-half and I really believe that's the team we have. Slumps are going to happen; how you get out of them is the key. Get the two points in Saginaw and start another streak. BTW, didn't we lose to Kitchener in Oct before going on the streak? Just sayin...

m2m

Aug 14, 2008
The next few weeks should indicate better what kind of team for management and direction. If we can't consistently play well then I am hopeful for trading for some younger talent and picks.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor with a loss.
Played for maybe half a game. Maybe.
They cant make 2 passes in a row.
Too much standing around waiting.
Not a good flow.
Pp stinking lately. No coordination at all.
Coaching stinks. Unorganized. Bad game plan.
The "fin" let in another 4 goals. Not what fans want to see.
Need to turn things around quickly.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
The next few weeks should indicate better what kind of team for management and direction. If we can't consistently play well then I am hopeful for trading for some younger talent and picks.
It will all depend how long Kari is gone for. Medina has been struggling lately and if Kari sticks with team Finland as even a #3 it could be a rough few weeks unless Medina turns things around. Also have heard there could be some minor issues with Medina and his teammates.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It will all depend how long Kari is gone for. Medina has been struggling lately and if Kari sticks with team Finland as even a #3 it could be a rough few weeks unless Medina turns things around. Also have heard there could be some minor issues with Medina and his teammates.

Minor issues is not a good thing.
Where r the "leaders" of this team

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Game notes - well I guess we can call it a losing streak now. Was not pretty last night. Team in a real funk.

Piiroinen - best Spit for 2 periods. No Spit stepped up in the 3rd and it showed.

Not sure who picks the 3 stars but Afanasyev was in the penalty box for 1 of Kitchener's PP goals and had 1 of our goals called back as he interfered with the Kitchener goalie - so in effect he was a minus 2 but he was the best Spit player on the ice???? No idea what they were looking at to pick him.

Credit to Kitchener - they were real good at getting active sticks into the passing lanes and Windsor had no answer for it. Really disrupted the PP for the Spits.

Team needs/must stay out of the penalty box, takes all of the flow or any attempt to come back out of their game. They are their own worst enemy right now.

Home in home with Saginaw up next. Hope they start Piiroinen Saturday - has been better on the road and Spits need to find a way out of this slump real fast.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR

Agree completely, Kari leaves for Finland Monday. It could be one cold month for sure. Just saying no back up announced yet anyways for Medina during that stretch. 4th goal looked bad last night, but if Rafkin doesn't deflect that puck, Kari smothers it and no harm no foul. Our D needs to keep out of our own blue paint at times, another one almost went in off Rafkins skate in the 2nd. Rafkin should have taken Pinelli out front and let the goalie handle that shot/pass from the corner.
That call on Afanseyev was crap, especially from the overhead view. I am not blaming the loss on the refs, but good grief, all this technology and cameras added and they still got that one wrong. If the ref was correct in the first place it wouldn't have taken 9 minutes to review over and over. He just didn't want to overturn his original call and eat crow explaining it to the Rangers team.
Our lack of hard nosed hockey was evident again. The Rangers pushed our buttons and we reacted. That was their game plan as per Damiani in his 1st period interview. I know you play bigger when there is little chance of a fight coming back your way. Just look at the major penalties for each team and you know which ones you can aggrevate with little chance of repercussion. All I am saying is the odd fight in a 0-0 1st period can back that type of game plan off.
I find Douglas lately has been the easiest guy on our team to knock over. He seems to be going down at least once per shift. I'm going to nickname him the Zamboni as he's cleaning the snow as he slides on his tail. Maybe the extra weight of that snow is holding up any speed.
I hope Letowski is a little more vocal with his team than he is with the refs. Pretty much asks for a explanation but too quick to except the explanation IMO.

member 71782

Last night's loss drops Windsor to 2nd in the division, 4th in the conference and 8th overall in the league. A week and a half ago they were 1st in the division, 1st in the conference and a couple of points out of 1st in the league. They do have the fewest games played, tied with Barrie but with how close things have been across the league and particularly in the West it only takes a couple of games to see a big drop or a big gain.

Windsor still tops in the league for the PP although we've all seen it's taken a bit of a hit the last few games, 3rd at home, 2nd on the road.

PK they currently sit 11th overall, 11th at home, 11th on the road.

GF 7th overall with 109, GA 6th best with 89.

There's still some positives out there in the basic stats. As we've seen, no team is going to change their fortunes on their own right now with things being so close. They need to start winning but they need to ensure they win the head to head match ups against the teams ahead of them to move right back up the standings.

Saginaw is 1 point behind Windsor so the next couple of games against them will be big for the standings race. They could be up by 5 or down by 3 and with Erie having 3 games between now and next Thursday they could potentially drop to as low as 6th in the conference by the time next Thursday's games are done.

The conference is tight so it's only a matter of a couple of games that can take you from the top to the bottom quickly.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Agree completely, Kari leaves for Finland Monday. It could be one cold month for sure. Just saying no back up announced yet anyways for Medina during that stretch. 4th goal looked bad last night, but if Rafkin doesn't deflect that puck, Kari smothers it and no harm no foul. Our D needs to keep out of our own blue paint at times, another one almost went in off Rafkins skate in the 2nd. Rafkin should have taken Pinelli out front and let the goalie handle that shot/pass from the corner.
That call on Afanseyev was crap, especially from the overhead view. I am not blaming the loss on the refs, but good grief, all this technology and cameras added and they still got that one wrong. If the ref was correct in the first place it wouldn't have taken 9 minutes to review over and over. He just didn't want to overturn his original call and eat crow explaining it to the Rangers team.
Our lack of hard nosed hockey was evident again. The Rangers pushed our buttons and we reacted. That was their game plan as per Damiani in his 1st period interview. I know you play bigger when there is little chance of a fight coming back your way. Just look at the major penalties for each team and you know which ones you can aggrevate with little chance of repercussion. All I am saying is the odd fight in a 0-0 1st period can back that type of game plan off.
I find Douglas lately has been the easiest guy on our team to knock over. He seems to be going down at least once per shift. I'm going to nickname him the Zamboni as he's cleaning the snow as he slides on his tail. Maybe the extra weight of that snow is holding up any speed.
I hope Letowski is a little more vocal with his team than he is with the refs. Pretty much asks for a explanation but too quick to except the explanation IMO.
I forgot to post this as well but beside Douglas going down D'Amico, Angle, Foudy all lost an edge a number of times last night. I think they need to evaluate who and how their skates are being sharpened. Yes Douglas tends to go down easy but you could tell the entire team was struggling to hold their edges. Fan beside me wondered out loud if their skate sharpening machine was on the blink last night.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Douglas has always been easy to knock over or get the puck away from. Endurance is not high. Doesn't use his body to an advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad