Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
As expected, place is dead. Absolutely no more then 2000, I’d say 1500.

Arena looked empty on TV. It’s not that I don’t support the team, I hoped and dreamed we’d win a game or two this series.

However, I hate the idea of going for it in a rebuild. I like Incze, and in the playoffs, I agree he’s the guy to lean on. However Kari not playing down the stretch, and the questionable moves to be in the playoffs, is what drove me away. The organization taking the ticket gate over the top draft pick in a clear rebuild, makes me not want to contribute to the gate.

Spits fought hard tonight, and played a pretty solid game. Best one they’ve played this series by far, but this team can’t compete with the Knights. I really wish Erie was taking this beating instead of us.

Garagan and DAmico looked good despite the score sheet. I like Douglas back with a foudy and Cuylle. Defense wasn’t awful, just can’t take penalties against such an offensive team. Impressive night by Boqvist, showing off why he was drafted so high.

Ugh, Go.. Spirit?...!

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Arena looked empty on TV. It’s not that I don’t support the team, I hoped and dreamed we’d win a game or two this series.

However, I hate the idea of going for it in a rebuild. I like Incze, and in the playoffs, I agree he’s the guy to lean on. However Kari not playing down the stretch, and the questionable moves to be in the playoffs, is what drove me away. The organization taking the ticket gate over the top draft pick in a clear rebuild, makes me not want to contribute to the gate.

Spits fought hard tonight, and played a pretty solid game. Best one they’ve played this series by far, but this team can’t compete with the Knights. I really wish Erie was taking this beating instead of us.

Garagan and DAmico looked good despite the score sheet. I like Douglas back with a foudy and Cuylle. Defense wasn’t awful, just can’t take penalties against such an offensive team. Impressive night by Boqvist, showing off why he was drafted so high.

Ugh, Go.. Spirit?...!
playoff experience is important in a rebuild...you got some good ones in Foudy and Cuylle! they are the core

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Attack fan here; feel for your team. Just like our game vs SSM last night, your team worked hard, and played well against a higher ranked team. Feel your pain. Good luck at your next home game.

Reactions: randomhero4life

member 71782

The good

The first period was one of Windsor's best periods since the deadline.

The second period they continued.

The bad

They came out and sat back at the start of the third and while once London tied the game then went ahead Windsor finally tried to get going offensively again the damage was done.

When will the coaching staff realize they can't have this team sit back and protect a lead. It hasn't worked all season and It's not likely going to start now.

Best effort of the series thrown away allowing London time and space to ramp up the pressure while putting very little pressure on them.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
My game summary, excellent first 2 periods. 3rd period we stopped the aggressive forecheck. Bad call by ref on Stephenson. That clearly went off Bouchards stick into the crowd. Everyone looked engaged tonight. 3 exceptions 26, 39 & 8. Douglas was a slug, Purboo engaged only when there was an offensive opportunity. Corcoran looked gased all night. If he is the coach needs to get fresher legs out there. Staios and Huneault played hard and well. Allen gave Bouchard what he deserved after the slash. Unfortunately Boquist killed us tonight. I said in my posts prior to the series start that the key was to disrupt the offense from their defense at all costs. That clearly hasn't happened and such we're down 3-0. Apologize for my projection of 3100 fans as it appeared much less. Lots of extra towels floating around. Looking forward to change.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
My game summary, excellent first 2 periods. 3rd period we stopped the aggressive forecheck. Bad call by ref on Stephenson. That clearly went off Bouchards stick into the crowd. Everyone looked engaged tonight. 3 exceptions 26, 39 & 8. Douglas was a slug, Purboo engaged only when there was an offensive opportunity. Corcoran looked gased all night. If he is the coach needs to get fresher legs out there. Staios and Huneault played hard and well. Allen gave Bouchard what he deserved after the slash. Unfortunately Boquist killed us tonight. I said in my posts prior to the series start that the key was to disrupt the offense from their defense at all costs. That clearly hasn't happened and such we're down 3-0. Apologize for my projection of 3100 fans as it appeared much less. Lots of extra towels floating around. Looking forward to change.

Actually the replay showed that it did not go off of Bouchard's stick. They replayed it a few times, and it was the correct call. I was also watching the Windsor player's reaction after he sent it out...he looked down in frustration; no complaining.
In any case, I thought Windsor played much better tonight on home ice.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Attendance 2599 they had 3000 rally towels to give out. A few left overs for next game?

What happened? I know Windsor is rebuilding but aren't you guys usually right up between 5-6k and like routinely 3rd in league attendance after London and Kitchener? Is there an off-ice issue that's causing the low turnout?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The good

The first period was one of Windsor's best periods since the deadline.

The second period they continued.

The bad

They came out and sat back at the start of the third and while once London tied the game then went ahead Windsor finally tried to get going offensively again the damage was done.

When will the coaching staff realize they can't have this team sit back and protect a lead. It hasn't worked all season and It's not likely going to start now.

Best effort of the series thrown away allowing London time and space to ramp up the pressure while putting very little pressure on them.

I would agree with this. They worked hard doesn't mean it can't be frustrating to see them resort back to certain bad habits and play like they did in the 3rd.

I think it goes back to the only thing Letowski knows since the team isn't very talented he believes the only way to make it look better is to trap. Of course it hasn't worked all year but....... since they made the playoffs it must have worked lol.

I think a message was sent tonight by the sth and certainly the fans in general. I imagine you see a similar crowd on Thursday. The question only becomes how do you bring them back.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Spits lose 6 to 3.
Down 3 to 0 in the series.
The first 2 periods Windsor played well. Was skating. Hitting. Actually shooting on net. Giving London all kinds of trouble. Was winning. Was very enjoyable.
3rd period JUST AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!
Was Trevor HOCKEY. No skating, No hitting, No shots on net. Just sit back and hope London doesn't score. Of course London scored. This coaching staff NEEDS TO BE FIRED YESTERDAY!!!
London PP is too good. That is a big difference in this series. London scores on PP. WINDSOR does not.
WHY is BOKA on the PP? Dumb dumb dumb. He doesn't have any skills to bring to the pp.
Douglas is terrible also. He should be on the 4th line. He didn't bring anything to the game. Just TURN OVERS.
SMALL small crowd. I think the sth have finally spoken. And I think it will be even small crowd for game 4. maybe 2000????

Reactions: three dog night

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
What happened? I know Windsor is rebuilding but aren't you guys usually right up between 5-6k and like routinely 3rd in league attendance after London and Kitchener? Is there an off-ice issue that's causing the low turnout?

this is a usual crowd for a playoff game.
Maybe if they play better, maybe people will come start coming to the game.

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
This year has been in the 4k range quite frequently.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
2599 announced. Ill type more once Im home.

I’m guessing that is still tickets sold because the section 111 literally had 45 people in the whole area. 108, 109, 110 sections had approx. 120 people combined in the rows above the entrances to the bowl.

It had to be the worst I’ve seen in the arena for a Spitfires game (aside from preseason) and I’ve had seasons since it opened. As for the towels, I have 4 and grabbed 2 of them after the 1st and guy before the game had to have grabbed 10 so I wouldn’t judge it off the towels.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016

Combination of things.

Lots of fans upset with the coaching staff and mismanagement of goaltenders (since the trade) and the rookies.

Personally I would’ve preferred them to take the 3rd overall draft pick, instead the 6th pick and the playoff money. Seemed like they wanted the playoff money pretty bad. The Spitfires haven’t won a playoff series since 2011.
The 8th seed in the Western hasn’t won a game in the playoffs since the 2014 Plymouth Whalers (per Spitfires Announce team tonight)
Not to mention we’re playing a rival team, that just rolled us over in game 2, 5-0.

Not sure about the locals, but for me crossing over From Detroit, the idea of dealing with the border, paying more money for playoff tickets, to watch the 8th seed in a rebuild, expected to get steam rolled by their biggest rival (without much of a fight in the prior two games), noting the spitfires Recent and 8th seed recent statistics...
Less of a time, financial, and emotional investment to just buy the game through OHLNeulion.

Reactions: KyGuy9

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Spits played us tough tonight but I think this loss will take the wind out of their sails for Game 4. Watched the replay, and after London’s 4th goal the announcers made me laugh out loud when they said that goal had silenced the Windsor faithful... like the dozens of fans in the arena had been screaming all night. I have never seen the WFCu that empty....sad state of affairs in W-town. I’m a fan of the London-Windsor rivalry, so it’s sad to see the Spits so listless and lifeless the last three games (except for the final minute of Game 1 and certain spurts in this game) and even sadder to see these kids getting no fan support. It’s just not as satisfying beating a team that has no spark. Now I don’t follow this team as much as you guys do, but I’m not at all impressed with Boka, Purboo, Douglas, Allen and Playfair....just seem to be going through the motions. Foudy and Cuylle are keepers, but they need some playmakers around which the Spits just don’t have right now. Here’s hoping you guys can put the pieces together in the next few seasons to stay competitive. Good luck next game!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Okay...

Good:

- Despite only 2599, I really enjoyed how much the crowd got into it. They were as loud as I've heard in some time.
- The first 20 minutes were almost ideal for the Spitfires. They hit, they shot, they created havoc. THAT was what this team needed.
- The final two minutes... where was that team for the rest of the third period?
- Incze made some huge saves, deserved a better fate.
- Cuylle/Foudy/Douglas proved valuable. Keep. Them. Together!
- I liked the physical game, the "take no prisoners" attiude. More of that is necessary!
- D'Amico played a smart game. I'm not worried about him going forward.
- Henault keeps improving; not a flashy guy but I like what he's bringing.

Bad:

- Can someone PLEASE give Corcoran a break?? I've never seen a player so out of breath so frequently. I said after that "a rested Robinson does more for us than a dog-tired Corcoran." I stand by that. When your top d-man can't do much because he's ready to fall down from exhaustion, that really doesn't help anyone.
- The first 18-minutes of the third period. Why, for the love of nachos, do they insist on playing the defence-first game? You get stuck in your own zone, the Knights force penalties, then capitalize with the extra man. Take it to them and you don't have this issue... as we saw in the first period.
- Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of the officiating. They seemed to have this "what happened? Who cares?" approach to it all.

If the Spitfires want to win Game 4, get out there and take it to the Knights. We saw what happens when they do... it's actually good. Maybe you win. Maybe you lose. But, at least you gave it your all. This "sit back and wait for them" stuff isn't working. Clearly. Enough is enough.

Now, regarding Allen/Bouchard...

For me, this goes back to the officiating. They collide along the end boards. Allen holds him. Fine, two min. Then, Bouchard gives him a two-hander. Allen looks back. No call. THAT. Right there. That's the issue. You call that, nothing happens. Two each, no sweat. Instead, the official gives the "ho hum" look, so Allen has to stand up for himself, which I don't blame him. Bouchard covered up real quick and I don't know if Allen got a punch in or not. The Knights bench was fuming (rightfully so) and Tymkin got two min for interfering from the bench.

Let's turn this arond for a second...

Tymkin holds Corcoran, who then returns the favour with a two-hander. Does anyone really blame Tymkin for throwing down? No. Don't do stupid stuff and you won't get called out for it.

Call what needs to be called or this is what could happen. It's really simple.

Now, onto Game 4.

after London’s 4th goal the announcers made me laugh out loud when they said that goal had silenced the Windsor faithful... like the dozens of fans in the arena had been screaming all night.

Actually, they had been quite loud. I was impressed given the smaller nature of the crowd (2,599). It's not easy to tell on TV, I realize.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Now, regarding Allen/Bouchard...

For me, this goes back to the officiating. They collide along the end boards. Allen holds him. Fine, two min. Then, Bouchard gives him a two-hander. Allen looks back. No call. THAT. Right there. That's the issue. You call that, nothing happens. Two each, no sweat.

Because hockey players always look to see if the referee is calling something before taking matters into their own hands?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Combination of things.

Lots of fans upset with the coaching staff and mismanagement of goaltenders (since the trade) and the rookies.

Personally I would’ve preferred them to take the 3rd overall draft pick, instead the 6th pick and the playoff money. Seemed like they wanted the playoff money pretty bad. The Spitfires haven’t won a playoff series since 2011.
The 8th seed in the Western hasn’t won a game in the playoffs since the 2014 Plymouth Whalers (per Spitfires Announce team tonight)
Not to mention we’re playing a rival team, that just rolled us over in game 2, 5-0.

Not sure about the locals, but for me crossing over From Detroit, the idea of dealing with the border, paying more money for playoff tickets, to watch the 8th seed in a rebuild, expected to get steam rolled by their biggest rival (without much of a fight in the prior two games), noting the spitfires Recent and 8th seed recent statistics...
Less of a time, financial, and emotional investment to just buy the game through OHLNeulion.

Understandable .
3rd or 4th seed would of been better for sure.

Reactions: Sec108
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad