Around the League Thread | Stop f***ing crying, bro, this isn’t Junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Eh, I guess the path of...least resistance?

I wonder what the plan actually is. They trade Guentzle, Crosby is a bit ticked off, and now they are gonna make Sullivan upset too? Is this the first step to a tear down rebuild? Because screwing over your franchise player and champ coach doesn't sound like a good start to continue competing for playoffs.
Dubas is waiting for the result of the TOR. If Keefe is let go, Sullivan should be gone and Keefe should be the next HC. :laugh:

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
The regional resentment of Central Canada is entirely one way.... nobody in Toronto thinks about other Canadian teams very much. (Even the Hab hate is cooled because it's been a long time since both teams were good at the same time).

It was very different during the Luongo years and the Leafs were a sadsack team.

You had the TO media like Cox and Simmons taking potshots at the team, and locals would give you a bit of grief. Usually about the Sedins and how they were wusses or sissies or whatever.

how the hell a Canucks fan cheers for @#$% Boston under any circumstances, I'll never understand. To paraphrase Churchill talking about the Nazis: "If the Boston Bruins were playing the Devil, I'd cheer on the Devil".

Have you considered just how funny it is to see the Leafs fail and fail again? It seems like every year there's a new twist on things.

The Canadian sports media is going to talk about the Leafs no matter what. If that's the case, I'd rather it be about their misfortunes rather than how they're a team of destiny or 'Canada's team' or whatever.

I think younger folks don't understand just how much of a stranglehold the Leafs had had on hockey. It's gotten a lot better now that there's regional coverage, but back when HNIC was the place to watch hockey, the amount of kowtowing to the Leafs was ridiculous.

I've never had ill will towards Boston outside of a couple of shithead players. Yeah, the series loss still stings, but that was as much on circumstances (injuries, Colin Campbell nepotism) as it was on guys like Marchand.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
A lot better than 7 years @8.5m for a fourth liner. If I were them I'd do it.

Should be the easiest choice ever. Do it while you can get the 1/3 buyout and save 32m in real money
If Sid is retiring after the final year of his contract, I'd say stay in Pitt and call it a career. If he intends to play longer than I'd say he should look to move on. There's no major milestones for him to reach like Ovy. Sid likely needs to play like 5 more years to hit 2000 points as he is just under 1600. Unlikely he'd get 404 more in the next 328 regular season games. So, probably not playing that long.

If he doesn't retire a penguin, my guess is that he signs in Colorado to play with Mackinnon

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I actually had a dream last night that I became friends with Crosby. Then he introduced me to the Athletic coaches and got me a job as one. In my other dream I was at Machu Picchu but had to wait in shelter before I could go down because it was snowing

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think you look around the league and see if anyone bites on Dubois with 2MM retained. If not, yeah, you buy him out unquestionably.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It's a long penalty, but manageable, as it's around $1.6 mill for 3 years, then jumps to $3.8 mill for 3 years, then down to $2.8 mill then down to the regular $1.4 mill. By the time the $3.8 mill hits, the cap will be into the low to mid $90's depending on HRR.

There is some catchup that needs to occur to the NHL cap for 2-3 years, then it should level out after that since the PA wants to keep escrow low. And I don't think NHL gambling money is as big, but maybe I'm under estimating that. Escrow was set to 6% this year and probably ends up being around 3% of a player's salary that they end up returning to the NHL, which is what the PA wants vs a higher cap of $3-5 mill and having to return 8% of the salary in the end.
i mean it's just funny to have a cap pen for that many years

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I think you look around the league and see if anyone bites on Dubois with 2MM retained. If not, yeah, you buy him out unquestionably.
I still think Montreal is the only real option, and if I'm the habs I would take him as a buy low cap swap option.

Something around josh Anderson and Barron (+/-) for PLD is decent for both teams.

Yeah he's overpaid and too frequently pretty bad, but the habs need talent, not much expectations, they dont need him to be a 1C, got young players to surround him with and maybe motivate in home town, and they shed some older worthless cap for younger potential(ly worthless cap).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The fact that a Pierre Luc Dubois buy-out is even on the table after only a single season, is a cautionary tale for a lot of rebuilding NHL teams. There just aren't any short-cuts.

At one time the Kings had the deepest prospect pool in hockey, and a bright future. But a series of borderline trades for the likes of Kevin Fiala and Dubois hollowed out their prospect pool in a hurry. A lot of people are probably unaware the Brock Faber, a Calder finalist in Minny, started life as a second round pick of the Kings.

At this point, Kopitar and Doughty are still their best players--but well on the back-side of the mountain. I doubt teams like the Sabres or the Devils make the same mistakes. As painful as it is right now, hoarding your top picks and waiting on their maturity will always win out in the end.

Reactions: quat

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Should be the easiest choice ever. Do it while you can get the 1/3 buyout and save 32m in real money

If he doesn't retire a penguin, my guess is that he signs in Colorado to play with Mackinnon
Really, no reason for him to wait another year if he's made up his mind to play past his final year of his contract. He turns 37 in August, so if he's going to play to the year he turns 40 (3 more seasons), no reason to spend 1 year with Pitt and 2 with another club. Might as well just go in the summer.

I mean, does it make a difference that Brady walked away from NE as a free agent or that Manning got cut vs someone like Russ Wilson, Matt Stafford, Matt Ryan getting traded after a decade with their original clubs?

Sid is playing well enough that you'd like to see him perform in the PO.

Reactions: quat

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The fact that a Pierre Luc Dubois buy-out is even on the table after only a single season, is a cautionary tale for a lot of rebuilding NHL teams. There just aren't any short-cuts.

At one time the Kings had the deepest prospect pool in hockey, and a bright future. But a series of borderline trades for the likes of Kevin Fiala and Dubois hollowed out their prospect pool in a hurry. A lot of people are probably unaware the Brock Faber, a Calder finalist in Minny, started life as a second round pick of the Kings.

At this point, Kopitar and Doughty are still their best players--but well on the back-side of the mountain. I doubt teams like the Sabres or the Devils make the same mistakes. As painful as it is right now, hoarding your top picks and waiting on their maturity will always win out in the end.
You're last sentence is inaccurate..Senators,Devils, Red Wings all missed the playoffs this season, and have no guarantees to 'win out' at anything.

Conversely, a team like Vegas which is completely allergic to any form of prospects/picks , seems to be a contender year in, year out.

More rebuilds fail than are successful IMO.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I honestly don’t even hate the leafs. I’ve lost the hatred I had but to be honest, I can’t even remember why I hate them why I hate them. The Kadri hit on Daniel and Martin running rookie Stecher probably the only thing I can really think of that really made me hate them for awhile but they don’t even play for them anymore. Nylander and Matthews are likeable people. No real douchebags, some good hard nosed guys. If we don’t win, I don’t mind cheering for them. Yeah they a ton of media attention but who cares? They have the biggest fanbase in the league. And no other team is as cursed as the Leafs have been for the last 60 years.

I don’t so much hate the Leafs themselves (not now, anyway - past editions have been pretty awful on the ice and off it, but this one is pretty bland) - it’s the Toronto based media that I can’t stand. It’s nauseating how the Leafs are shoved down our throats and how every broadcast and major hockey news outlet panders to them.

Reactions: racerjoe

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

i think the PLD thing is an unique case? Most players with that much history don't tend to just peace out mentally like that. I mean yeah there are flags with PLD but this type of mental drop off is pretty crazy.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I don’t so much hate the Leafs themselves (not now, anyway - past editions have been pretty awful on the ice and off it, but this one is pretty bland) - it’s the Toronto based media that I can’t stand. It’s nauseating how the Leafs are shoved down our throats and how every broadcast and major hockey news outlet panders to them.
They definitely do pander to the leafs a lot. A lot of these analysts also happen to be leafs fans and that plays a ton into it as well. In my eyes, I just don’t have much hatred left. Maybe I’ve gotten used to it? But looking back, my hatred was more mob mentality than anything. I can’t really find a reason to hate them on a personal level, at least these generation of leafs. Of course I love seeing us beat them because of the media attention they get. But 99% of the time, I don’t even pay attention to what’s happening over there. They could do a 30 minute Leafs access right before our games and my brain manages to only retain like 1% of the info.

With the Oilers and Flames (you can add Chicago and L.A), I will 100% never cheer for them. I couldn’t imagine an alternate universe where I would. The Flames likely being pathetic and irrelevant for the next couple of years is like music to my ears. I want everything bad happening to those franchises and fans short of being relocated of course just so i can relive hating them over and over again till the end of times and then some.

Also add Boston to that list. f*** them.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
They definitely do pander to the leafs a lot. A lot of these analysts also happen to be leafs fans and that plays a ton into it as well. In my eyes, I just don’t have much hatred left. Maybe I’ve gotten used to it? But looking back, my hatred was more mob mentality than anything. I can’t really find a reason to hate them on a personal level, at least these generation of leafs. Of course I love seeing us beat them because of the media attention they get. But 99% of the time, I don’t even pay attention to what’s happening over there. They could do a 30 minute Leafs access right before our games and my brain manages to only retain like 1% of the info.

With the Oilers and Flames, I will 100% never cheer for them. I couldn’t imagine an alternate universe where I would. The Flames likely being pathetic and irrelevant for the next couple of years is like music to my ears. I want everything bad happening to those franchises and fans short of being relocated of course just so i can relive hating them over and over again till the end of times and then some.

The Oilers are a different one for me. I’ve commented on it before, but the toxic hatred their fans online have for the Canucks is a phenomenon to me. They get more pleasure watching the Canucks lose than they do their own team winning. And this is in spite of them having all kinds of success in their history and two generational talents. That makes them easy to root against.

Calgary is kind of blah to me. I’ve enjoyed some of the rivalries we had - early 90s and early 00s. Lot of good games and playoff series’ in there. I don’t viscerally hate them, but I don’t really cheer for them either.

Who I cheer for when the Canucks are done usually comes down to which ex Canucks are still playing, and/or players I like (and who’s playing against teams I hate)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

A team needs the right mix. Unlikely that all your needs are filled just by prospects when if you adopt the bpa option there is going to be a. Hole in the prospect group somewhere.

Can’t be afraid to move some of them. Whether you make the correct ones well that’s the key.

As for Faber there’s only been quiet rumblings that he would go Adam Fox on LA. They had 2 years left before that option but even Cal moved Fox early because of signing concerns.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The Oilers are a different one for me. I’ve commented on it before, but the toxic hatred their fans online have for the Canucks is a phenomenon to me. They get more pleasure watching the Canucks lose than they do their own team winning. And this is in spite of them having all kinds of success in their history and two generational talents. That makes them easy to root against.

Calgary is kind of blah to me. I’ve enjoyed some of the rivalries we had - early 90s and early 00s. Lot of good games and playoff series’ in there. I don’t viscerally hate them, but I don’t really cheer for them either.

Who I cheer for when the Canucks are done usually comes down to which ex Canucks are still playing, and/or players I like (and who’s playing against teams I hate)
I go back to the first days when TO and Montreal showed up and it was like home games for them with more of their jerseys than Canucks. But that early rivalry was TO who often made it clear that Vancouver was an addition to the league and a late one at that. If only the team had got that first over all pick, damn.

Perreault​

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I go back to the first days when TO and Montreal showed up and it was like home games for them with more of their jerseys than Canucks. But that early rivalry was TO who often made it clear that Vancouver was an addition to the league and a late one at that. If only the team had got that first over all pick, damn.

Perreault​

Oh, I also understand hating Toronto for their previous off ice regimes. They absolutely obstructed and delayed Vancouver in getting a franchise.

To say nothing of what a POS Harold Ballard was, too.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Kings would eat over $27M in cash and also in cap hit. Some would be deferred for a number of years, but even factoring that into the account I think retaining up to $3M is an option even if they only got a bag of pucks for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad