Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
@scokan. I’m sorry but when the team constantly turns the puck over when the goalie is pulled that isn’t ok. There never seems to be urgency once the goalie is pulled players don’t really hustle back to put any sort of pressure on the player going for the open net. When i say defend that’s what i mean. They will pull the goalie on dump ins and team not in control of the puck. Yes it just like stats but unlike a poster who uses small sample sizes of things at least this is for whole season. Just not past 5 games or what not. When you pull goalie as much as windsor you would hope it would work more then once or the team could keep sustained pressure. None of that really happens. They put the wrong guys out there and so on. Being in all these one goal games really mean nothing either. Am i suppose to cheer we are always losing by 1 goal?? Feel excited about it? This season has been a disaster from what we were told at start of the year but yes there are some bright spots. Those just weren’t enough to carry the team.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Generally speaking, the Spits problems with their power play and defense of an empty net go hand in hand. TL systems keep both D primarily at the boards. The problem with this is when you get a puck chipped past or a pass intercepted it's inbetween our D center of the ice. A good power play works the center for shorter passing routes and keeps the defending team to the boards if they get past you. Just the concept of our team trying to cycle the puck from behind the goal line spells disaster. A pass from behind the goal line is always heading back towards our own zone if mishandled. Teams must love having us fooling around behind the net hoping for that 1 miracle pass to the only player in front of the net who is covered like a blanket. Often all 3 forwards are behind the goal line. Only option is to go back to the D. That's a man advantage. Haha At least if they played all 5 players between the dots to blue line an errant pass goes in the opposition's corners where you still have a chance of regaining possession. Forwards always playing that deep never have a prayer coming back to defend until the play is dead or the puck is in our net. This team's talented forwards are a break in rush style and yet TL Is hell bent on the dump and chase. Good grief.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I have no problem pulling the goalie, especially down by one. With a minute and a half left. What I have problems with are the situations like last night.

Windsor has to know they’ve given up a lot of empty net goals. Some of this on dump-ins, some on losing the draw, and just not having control in general.

Knowing you give up a lot of empty net goals, down by 2, to one of the worst teams in the league, in which their goalie gives up 5+ goals on average...
3 minutes left in the game, have Kari at the blue line, then send him all the way once we’ve secured possession.

We lose the draw and give up a goal with 2:58 left in the game. If he’s kept in til 2:30, and we have possession, anything can happen. Not blaming the loss on that, but i think that situation needs to be handled better. And that’s a coaching problem.

Kari passing the puck straight to Cody Morgan, is a player error. Besides that Kari played a solid game. And I agree questionable interference on goal 3. I was just thinking earlier in the game, Kari was a much better luck handler than Mikey ever was, then that happens.
Mikey always used to scare me, especially his first couple years. Just blindly tossing the puck around the boards. Probably my only complaint with Mikey in net.

Kari isn’t bad, definitely has starter potential, but I feel like his progress has been impacted by not getting minutes.

Which from TLs perspective, I get. IF you’re coaching for your job, you’re worried more about getting wins and making the playoffs then getting a 17yo minutes between the pipes. However, if TL comes back next year, I’ll be frustrated.

Nothing against him personally. But if he’s “coaching for his job” right now, I feel like he’s lost it. If he’s not coaching for his job right now, and is here regardless next year, why isn’t Kari getting the minutes? I get that WR always wants to win, I do too. But I just don’t see much accomplishment in getting into the playoffs to get pounded by a rival team. London has their constant succsss, Windsor’s up on them with a Mem Cup. It’s a great rivalry, but unless Windsor thinks they’re gonna sneak in as an 8 seed and beat London, I don’t see the point.

I’m frustrated with Foudy. He had the puck more than anyone else on the ice last night, and I can’t recall him firing a single shot on net. 3/4 times inside the hashmarks, and still looking for the pass. He’s not Cuylle, but he doesn’t have a bad shot.
Just speculating, but Maybe Foudys hopped on the, “let’s get a Top 3 pick for me to play with” train.

With Wright’s exceptional status, that Top 3 pick, will likely become the second best 03 available. And I’d guess we’d take the #1 D Man available, as I don’t see Flint grabbing a D man with the number 2 pick. And I don’t see the Fronts taking a D man over Wright.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
I don’t think the Scouting is an issue or can be considered one yet since Evola just started and liked his first draft aside from the Medina gaffe. Need time to evaluate.

Rychel....not sure how to feel this year but at the same time, were his hands tied by the coach when it came to certain players by the coach (Morgan, Starikov)? did he over estimate the market on DiPietro?

I think adding Cuylle was huge but overall, could he have done more to change the culture?

Coaching.... we all know that one.....

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
No Morgan Frost or Barrett Hayton this afternoon in the Zoo (they were naughty in last nights game) We will only be missing Sean Allen.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
It seems like I’m a bigger fan of Boka than anyone else in here but whys the top line
Douglas/angle/Boka while Franca and DAmico are on the 4th line with Rychel?

I get DAmicos been cold on the score sheet, but I wouldn’t write him off, put him out there with the top guys and see what happens.

I wouldn’t mind seeing DAmico with a Cuylle and Foudy. It’s nice to have a big body out there with them (Douglas/Purboo), but I feel like dAmico could keep up with their speed and he’s got a decent shot

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Soo has their backup in net.
Shocking as this is a trend a lot this year.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
THAT was the top line? (I didn't see the lineup sheet this morning) Ughhhhh. If at first it doesn't succeed, do it another 10 times. It's bound to eventually work... right? Maybe?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
What do you suggest now - did the team deliver what its capable? Did the team underachieve?
IF team underachieved was a result of GM/scouting/recruiting? Coaching? Players? Playbook?

Based upon the talk early in the year they certainly underachieved. If you currently watch this team collectively they really do lack talent to consistently play at a high level. The team underachieved for a lot of reasons. Some of it is youth, some of it has to do with guys not performing well this year eg. Piroinen/Boka. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Weber is still finding his way as a coach. Whenever collectively you aren't extremely talented it goes back to the GM and yes recruitment obviously needs to get better. The biggest mistake this organization can make is just chalk it up to rebuilding and bring back a lot of the same group and just add to it. They need an actual shake up, making a trade to bring in new faces. Right now these guys feel too comfortable.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
It seems like I’m a bigger fan of Boka than anyone else in here but whys the top line
Douglas/angle/Boka while Franca and DAmico are on the 4th line with Rychel?

I get DAmicos been cold on the score sheet, but I wouldn’t write him off, put him out there with the top guys and see what happens.

I wouldn’t mind seeing DAmico with a Cuylle and Foudy. It’s nice to have a big body out there with them (Douglas/Purboo), but I feel like dAmico could keep up with their speed and he’s got a decent shot
I don’t think its about some of us not being Boka fans. It more of him playing top 6 minutes where guys like Frasca and McDonald should be getting more of those chances. Boka is a great PK guy who probably should be used more as a shutdown guy then a top guy. Boka is very good when in the role he is meant for. He isn’t really a PP guy or a guy you want to see on the ice when team trailing by a goal.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think the biggest change that's needed in the off-season is systems and coaching. TL has some positives in his coaching but he's not the right guy for this club. They need experience behind the bench and someone to push them every game. There's too much potential to have the team go "yeah, sucks we lost. we just didn't come out hard enough."

Reactions: FireBall959

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
OHLTG ummmmm Perfetti has put up 70 points as a 16 year old in this league. He has good players around him but there aren't a lot of guys that can do what Perfetti has done at 16. Why would you take Piroinen over Prosvetov every time? I am seriously interested in hearing this because one of the biggest reasons the Spits have struggled over the past 3 months is because Piroinen hasn't been good. I don't believe for a moment that Foudy would do the same as Perfetti. Perfetti has 35 goals and Foudy has 6 and he's taken 41 fewer shots. Maybe Foudy just has bad luck around the net and that will magically change. Of course that's not accounting for the fact Perfetti is an elite goal scorer and Foudy still has to show that.

Reactions: KyGuy9

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Perfetti has put up 70 points as a 16 year old in this league. He has good players around him but there aren't a lot of guys that can do what Perfetti has done at 16.

You put Foudy with that Saginaw lineup and tell me he doesn't produce almost as well. This isn't taking away from Perfetti but you're comparing a the fourth-highest offence in the league to the third or fourth lowest. Of course Perfetti is going to get more points.

Why would you take Piroinen over Prosvetov every time? I am seriously interested in hearing this because one of the biggest reasons the Spits have struggled over the past 3 months is because Piroinen hasn't been good.

You're really putting the struggles on him? Come on. There's plenty wrong with this team right now so to essentially pin it on Piiroinen is almost funny. Why do I take Piiroinen... like I said, we aren't in a position to win anything this season. Prosvetov is here for one season, maybe two, and then he's gone. Piiroinen is two years younger, has all kinds of potential, and they're building for when he's older. That's why I take Piiroinen every time given our situation.

Perfetti has 35 goals and Foudy has 6 and he's taken 41 fewer shots.

Foudy also has five more assists with an offence that's scored 80 fewer goals overall. It really feels like you're trying to find ways to rip this club.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You put Foudy with that Saginaw lineup and tell me he doesn't produce almost as well. This isn't taking away from Perfetti but you're comparing a the fourth-highest offence in the league to the third or fourth lowest. Of course Perfetti is going to get more points.

You're really putting the struggles on him? Come on. There's plenty wrong with this team right now so to essentially pin it on Piiroinen is almost funny. Why do I take Piiroinen... like I said, we aren't in a position to win anything this season. Prosvetov is here for one season, maybe two, and then he's gone. Piiroinen is two years younger, has all kinds of potential, and they're building for when he's older. That's why I take Piiroinen every time given our situation.

Foudy also has five more assists with an offence that's scored 80 fewer goals overall. It really feels like you're trying to find ways to rip this club.

Saginaw scored fewer goals than Windsor last year and they targeted guys like Michnac/Perfetti and signed Wilde. Yes they traded for guys like McLeod/Tippett but the contributions of the other 3 enabled the organization to go for it.

The problem with you is you can't be honest about the situation. Piroinen hasn't been good this year. I never said it all falls on him but he hasn't been very good.

I'm not ripping the club or the players. I like Foudy he has a bright future but he's not as good as Perfetti. Also the team has won 24 out of 65 games the organization has done plenty to give fans ammo if they so choose that route.

Maybe if the Spits had an older more experienced goalie the team would play better and settle down. The team has played better in front of Incze as compared to Piroinen as well.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Yes they traded for guys like McLeod/Tippett but the contributions of the other 3 enabled the organization to go for it.

35 games 33 points pre-deadline.

24 games 37 point post-deadline

That's Perfetti. I wonder why?!

The problem with you is you can't be honest about the situation. Piroinen hasn't been good this year. I never said it all falls on him but he hasn't been very good.

"one of the biggest reasons the Spitfires have struggled over the last 3 months..."

Maybe if the Spits had an older more experienced goalie the team would play better and settle down. The team has played better in front of Incze as compared to Piroinen as well.

Prosvetov wasn't more experienced coming in. Both him and Piiroinen had zero OHL games played. So, let's say Prosvetov comes to the Spitfires and plays behind DiPietro. We trade DiPietro and it's Prosvetov and, say, Medina. Now, Prosvetov goes to the AHL next season, so you're left with Medina starting in a season you want to win a round or two in the post-season. That's worse than the situation was this season; much higher expectations. If we were going to make a run this season, you go for Prosvetov. We're not, though, so you go for the guy who's going to be around a bit (hopefully). That's Piiroinen.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004

I don't think Evola had anything to do with the 1st round pick - in fact he missed on a few VK mand JRC players that he coached that would have been good draft picks. He coached 02 age group for 2 yrs with 2 different orgs.

Coach plays what is given to him by WR I don't believe for a minute that he can influence WR.

American/Russian player we got on the DiPietro trade isn't going to come to this team unless it improves. Has he been to a game and watched the Spits this season?

Yeah there was couple picks I was surprised about but seems like a decent group so far.

Afanaseyev did decommit from MSU so there is something in the works. I’d be shocked he plays in the A next year but will depend on who drafts him.

As for coach playing those given to him, of course he does but we’re talking about two players the organization and fans had large hopes for and should have been key contributors. Letowski was the reason they wanted to leave. Add to that questionable decisions, lack of development etc. He and staff are a main issue.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Spits are desperately trying to hold on so they can get a point out of this game at least.
Soo all over them in the 3rd.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
35 games 33 points pre-deadline.

24 games 37 point post-deadline

That's Perfetti. I wonder why?!

"one of the biggest reasons the Spitfires have struggled over the last 3 months..."

Prosvetov wasn't more experienced coming in. Both him and Piiroinen had zero OHL games played. So, let's say Prosvetov comes to the Spitfires and plays behind DiPietro. We trade DiPietro and it's Prosvetov and, say, Medina. Now, Prosvetov goes to the AHL next season, so you're left with Medina starting in a season you want to win a round or two in the post-season. That's worse than the situation was this season; much higher expectations. If we were going to make a run this season, you go for Prosvetov. We're not, though, so you go for the guy who's going to be around a bit (hopefully). That's Piiroinen.
Good point about Perfetti. He’s done great but give Byfield the opportunity to play with the same players and see where he’d be. He’s often been the catalyst all by himself for the Wolves this year.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Spits get 2 points
Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad