Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Honestly, only players I’d be upset if they weren’t here next year are: Foudy, Cuylle, Angle, MacDonald, D’Amico, Ladd, Henault, Robinson

Should definitely be moved for other OAs/players/ picks: Boka, Purboo

Release or move if any value: Garagan, Stevenson

Anyone else not listed, if a deal comes up and makes sense, pull the trigger.

Spitfires need to:
1) Start fresh behind the bench
2) nail the draft and top euro pick
3) move out some players
4) hope Boughner doesn’t sell

With the change in players and coaches, the culture can change. I’d rather watch a team rebuild but have heart then the crap thrown at us.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
here's my draft wish list..........

1. Brett Harrison -Centre
2.Benjamin Gaudreau-Goaltender
3 Logan Mailloux-Defense

Thumbs down to that Zhilkin kid.....cant take a chance on him NOT coming.

I’d love to see Gaudreau here too. Don’t think he makes it past the top 30 so Rychel would have to move up.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just a note: Cuylle commented in the Windsor Star that the playoff series really helped him as he could see a definite difference between the reg season and playoffs. I know it sucks to lose but perhaps it'll be a builder for the future.

Reactions: LDN

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Honestly, only players I’d be upset if they weren’t here next year are: Foudy, Cuylle, Angle, MacDonald, D’Amico, Ladd, Henault, Robinson

Spitfires need to:
3) move out some players

With the change in players and coaches, the culture can change. I’d rather watch a team rebuild but have heart then the crap thrown at us.

Great post!
Very well said.
I totally agree with the players that should return. Rest should be gone or moved.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017

Spitfires need to:
3) move out some players

You wouldn't want to see Staios back?

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Just a note: Cuylle commented in the Windsor Star that the playoff series really helped him as he could see a definite difference between the reg season and playoffs. I know it sucks to lose but perhaps it'll be a builder for the future.
It was nice to see Cuylle start using his body more near the end of season a playoffs. He going to be pretty dang good if he scores and bangs.

Last edited:
Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'll give my two cents tomorrow.

Tonight wasn't pretty. You could clearly see the frustration building over the course of the game and, sadly, they knew they were done by the third period.

Do I think an overhaul is required? Yes. Do I think it's going to be drastic and first thing Friday morning? No.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
Windsor lost AGAIN!
SWEPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That seems like the norm for this team. Didn't even put up a fight at all. JUST laid down and let London walk all over them. HORRIBLE HOCKEY PLAN!!!
NO playoff series wins in the last 8 years now. AWFUL.
Trevor AND rest of the coaching staff SHOULD all be FIRED Friday morning 8 AM!
THEY NEED TO GO. That is just starters. A bunch of players should be also be GONE before the draft is even started!!!!!!!
This team has NO HEART, PASSION.
ONLY half a dozen players actually played this series. AND that is being GENEROUOS 6 players.
London didn't even play well tonight. But enough for the W.
SMALL crowd again tonight. 2889 tonight.
I think the fan have spoken. Last year they were complaining about having just over 3000 at games. Well that dropped. AND if there is NO changes in the offseason, the crows will get even SMALLER.

Ouf.. Quite an angry post. At least you have a recent Memorial Cup. Takes time to rebuild and you've spent a lot of assets as hosts.

Reactions: randomhero4life

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Spitfires need to:
3) move out some players

I would agree with a lot of this. I am curious in regards to how D'Amico was real bad the past 2 months but that stuff is window dressing overall. Agreed there's no reason to keep Purboo or Boka around next year. Unless you believe those guys can lift the team to being an OHL title contender then no thanks. Douglas had a stinker of a playoff. I have no doubt he will return because "he's a vet" Of course we have seen Douglas for 1.5 years now and the playoffs. They don't need him to win big, get some assets because the team needs them.

Agreed if they don't have a new coach all this stuff doesn't matter. Scoring big on the 1st round pick and import pick is huge. I know it's not popular but I wouldn't hesitate to cut bait with Piiroinen. He wasn't good this year, he wasn't the problem. Of course if you can score with 2 big time 17 year olds that help up front and on D then you can start concerning yourself about who the goalie is.

Spits had DiPietro for 3.5 years which he was real good. The roster was never good enough to win a playoff round. If that's the case then start building up the roster around a goalie, don't have a goalie and hope he bails the rest of the team out.

Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Why not develop a goaltender properly while building around him? Our team in 2017 was damn good, whether people want to believe that or not, and now we've got a chance to do it again. Build properly, develop properly, and watch it unfold over the next couple of seasons.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Honestly, i like Piironen and am a believer but that said, if Windsor drafted a goalie in the 2nd round like Gaudreau, I’d be all for him and Incze. Use the two euro slots to fill the gaps upfront/D.

I don’t think Gaudreau will be around with our 2nd though.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Ouf.. Quite an angry post. At least you have a recent Memorial Cup. Takes time to rebuild and you've spent a lot of assets as hosts.

Dont need to get started about the memorial cup again!!! And how they got to the tournament.
Its the lack of success the last 8 years that has me frustrated. And if things don't change in off season it will just be the norm. No success.

Reactions: FireBall959

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
That 3rd or 4th round pick would look real good now. If only spits can go back 2 weeks time.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
Why not develop a goaltender properly while building around him? Our team in 2017 was damn good, whether people want to believe that or not, and now we've got a chance to do it again. Build properly, develop properly, and watch it unfold over the next couple of seasons.
How was 2017 considered doing it properly. They traded almost all future assetts to build a team that if it wasnt hosting wouldn't have had a sniff of the mem cup. Then for the next 2 seasons traded every player of any value just to get us back to even. We don't have the picks to trade for another team like that and there is no sustainability in that rebuild model. Unless we host again there is little to suggest we will make it again. 8 yrs of no playoff success suggests so. Yes WR did what he had to in 2017, but that is hardly how a rebuild should be done. Build a solid year to year program, make the better players want to come here.

Reactions: Sec108 and windsor7

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
How was 2017 considered doing it properly. They traded almost all future assetts to build a team that if it wasnt hosting wouldn't have had a sniff of the mem cup. Then for the next 2 seasons traded every player of any value just to get us back to even. We don't have the picks to trade for another team like that and there is no sustainability in that rebuild model. Unless we host again there is little to suggest we will make it again. 8 yrs of no playoff success suggests so. Yes WR did what he had to in 2017, but that is hardly how a rebuild should be done. Build a solid year to year program, make the better players want to come here.

Agreed.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Staios was the only player in the series that wasn't a minus for the Spits. His level of play has greatly improved the last month or more. Douglas was minus 6. So he did lead the team in the series in one category just not the right one for success. Combined Purboo, Douglas, Playfair. Not a single point between them. Who did the Knights key on defensively? Foudy and Cuylee, quite a complement to 2 rookies. Our penalty kill had no sucess in slowing down the Knights, and the Spits power play was never a threat. Special teams success is solely the responsibility of the coaches. A flawed system or series of set plays will consistently fail even if properly executed. Then the coach is pig headed in sticking with his systems and blaming the players for not executing them. Sound like anyone we know?

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
That 3rd or 4th round pick would look real good now. If only spits can go back 2 weeks time.
Sometimes for a team that has not had great playoff runs of late, the coffers can run a little low. There are going to be times that the bottom line means limping in to the playoffs for the extra revenue outweighs the need to pick a few spots earlier. After the expense of hosting the Mem cup with lower than projected attendance, I am sure the team could use the extra cash flow. You’d be amazed how quick a couple extra games add up. When you add up the ticket sales, the teams cut if the food and beverage & merch sales, minus the expenses of facility fees, staff wages, and unsold playoff t-shirts without those games the team would be out...

*Checks notes*

$17

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I would agree with a lot of this. I am curious in regards to how D'Amico was real bad the past 2 months but that stuff is window dressing overall. Agreed there's no reason to keep Purboo or Boka around next year. Unless you believe those guys can lift the team to being an OHL title contender then no thanks. Douglas had a stinker of a playoff. I have no doubt he will return because "he's a vet" Of course we have seen Douglas for 1.5 years now and the playoffs. They don't need him to win big, get some assets because the team needs them.

Agreed if they don't have a new coach all this stuff doesn't matter. Scoring big on the 1st round pick and import pick is huge. I know it's not popular but I wouldn't hesitate to cut bait with Piiroinen. He wasn't good this year, he wasn't the problem. Of course if you can score with 2 big time 17 year olds that help up front and on D then you can start concerning yourself about who the goalie is.

Spits had DiPietro for 3.5 years which he was real good. The roster was never good enough to win a playoff round. If that's the case then start building up the roster around a goalie, don't have a goalie and hope he bails the rest of the team out.

i would argue that keeping both of them around keeps them from moving 3/4th round picks for other oa's. its not a year where we will win a championship (but we should take the next step) so lets not spent any more assets on oa's, keep the ones you have vs bringing in guys who will be just as good. only thing ill say is you keep boka but the coach has to understand how to use him, if he keeps over playing him then you cut bait right away.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
here's my draft wish list..........

1. Brett Harrison -Centre
2.Benjamin Gaudreau-Goaltender
3 Logan Mailloux-Defense

Thumbs down to that Zhilkin kid.....cant take a chance on him NOT coming.

i think the harrison kid is trying to get to london, so he may not report either.

agree with gaudreau, i saw him at the ohl cup and he looks like the real deal, but i dont think hes there when we pick, he may be the first pic in the 2nd.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Sometimes for a team that has not had great playoff runs of late, the coffers can run a little low. There are going to be times that the bottom line means limping in to the playoffs for the extra revenue outweighs the need to pick a few spots earlier. After the expense of hosting the Mem cup with lower than projected attendance, I am sure the team could use the extra cash flow. You’d be amazed how quick a couple extra games add up. When you add up the ticket sales, the teams cut if the food and beverage & merch sales, minus the expenses of facility fees, staff wages, and unsold playoff t-shirts without those games the team would be out...

*Checks notes*

$17

With the littke attendance that showed up for the 2 games, i dont think much money was made at all. I just guessing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad