Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Part of it is systematic/staff. Part of it is confidence; if you're nearly invisible on the ice, you're not going to produce. There were some games you didn't realize he was out there until the third period. It's a combination of several things.

So why the change? CM the player is a constant.. It is the Flint staff? Could they draw out something emotionally, physically that increased confidence out of the gate?

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
Its totally bad value. CMon. Its terrible.

Struggled first half of 16 yr old season on a team going for it? Odd you would say that. If it were a Spit rookie, in a go for it year I could just imagine the lengths some would go to defend him lol.
He struggled in Windsor because of the situstion/staff/himself.... Whatever. But the fact he has succeeded elsewhere the same year, suggests ... At least in part Spits dropped the ball in how to deal with the situation/player.

I noticed HL "liked" your post.
Very consistent with the selective bias.

Dress it it up you like OHLTG but the main piece in the "sell" deal was a mid 1st rd pick player. They in turn flipped that for a 2nd n 4th. Past precedent says thats a terrible return 1 year post top 15cpick regardkess of situation.. Heck look at at what London got for a Rowe (a later pick than Morgan with more baggage to the same team ;))

You don't know the whole situation, but if you did you would understand, trust me!

Reactions: hockeylegend11

member 71782

So Morgan given a chance is producing, what a unique idea. Yes Morgan needed to show more in Windsor but being a healthy scratch, playing fourth line minutes and every time he started to pick up the pace when he wasn't on the fourth line he was quickly dropped back down to the fourth line. As for missing on a penalty shot (after standing around waiting) and shoot out opportunity, yeah, he's the only one who's ever missed in those situations. I know tying them both together in one game is an attempt to make it look pretty bad but there's plenty of players in Windsor's line up who have missed at times on those chances as well but still keep getting them. Using his lack of production on the few PP chances he got, well there's some players who constantly get PP time who very rarely produce on it, namely the entire roster has done little with it. There's a couple of vets who haven't produced 5 on 5 who tend to see first line minutes, double shifted etc and many times Morgan was moved up he played with many of those same players.

Playfair, now that he is healthy is starting to produce, great. Before his concussion he was healthy and never produced so it's not like he was injured all season. Took him a while to get rolling, healthy scratched a couple of times, got a couple of points then his concussion. Yes it's good to see him producing now but a couple of games on a streak is not necessarily indicative of things to come. Kids got a hot hand and it has played a big part in the team winning it's last three games and I was a fan at the beginning of the season of keeping Playfair over Angle if one of them had to be dealt. Let's hope he develops consistency beyond four or five games.

So Spits are 3-1-1-2 over their last seven games. Still under .500 until the loser points are added but including them they have nine of a possible fourteen points. Better then their recent record? Yes. Can they keep it up? Remains to be seen. They've had three game streaks before this season and each one seemed to precede a rather lengthy downturn.

While riding the hot hand in goal is a sensible thing to do to make the playoffs and I am not a fan of tanking but as per past rebuilds development is secondary to all else. Approaching the final stretch of the season with development as priority is not tanking, it's putting expectations on the kids to learn and perform under a certain level of pressure. If they win that's great, it reflects well on everyone, if they come up short but show continued improvement great, it shows everyone is doping their job. If they keep going downhill it exposes the issues but as I've said adding low level older vets over youth then playing with a short bench by choice instead of a full roster are signs of an intention to tank. The fact that the team has strung together a couple of wins when they need it most is good but also I believe it is in spite of what the organization has done. After this deadline I believe it was Rychel's full intent to tank and the way things have been handled minus the last two weeks was providing every opportunity for a tank to happen. Good on the team for getting things together but I see the way things have been handled causing more issues going forward then it resolves on this roster. Lots of holes will open up, or at least should and not lots of known entities to fill them, what a way to handle a rebuild.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldspitsfan

Nov 24, 2013
After attending yesterday’s Spits game I was more confused than ever. Did Owen Sound actually want to play or just rough it up with cheap shots, slashes and confrontation? They took 13 penalties!!! They made little attempt to score until the third period. Of course Windsor responded with ZERO power play goals. Why not take advantage of the young Spits?
I am usually a positive pro Spits follower but, watching the power play is a damn chore. Why is it so hard to keep Foudy and Coulie together so they can create a bond for the future. The lack of a system is on the coaches. Why do I feel so hollow after a three game win streak? I pray that next year isn’t a repeat of this years performance ,

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
With how up and down the teams been that stat is quite surprising to me. Good on them thats solid for any team regardless of rebuilding or not

It's nice to see that record. Unfortunately in less than 30% of their games this year they actually had a lead through 2 periods. The other times they are either tied or losing and have only won 8 of those 41 other games. This stat would fall in line with Letowski last year saying he was happy having the same record at home and away because it speaks to how consistent they are.....

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
Was he given every op to succeed? Or pigeon holed into what a rigid staff wanted?

Obviously Spits didnt give him the "right" chances as he has succeeded so far just fine elsewhere. In the immediate weeks after leaving Windsor.
Could be....
Playing with better talent? On a team lower in standings?
More appropriate on ice usage?
Better coaching?
Better mentoring?
Better pre game meals?

What do you attribute his recent success to HL? And why couldnt the Spits staff find a way to tap into it?

I dont know personally, but to claim they gave him every chance to succeed seems odd as he is succeeding now so shortly removed from Spits team?

So maybe, just maybe they didnt push the right buttons with a young player and Flint did? Which suggezts they didnt give him every chance.

Its ok to admit. Every team has mishandled a player. It happens.

But lack of production isnt always on the kid. Esp when they immediately show resilts elsewere. Sometimes its the adults ;) and again, its OK to admit.

How many Spits games have you personally been to? You can't possibly act like a know it all when you have extremely little concrete foundation to even comment. I know you think London rocks and Windsor sucks, which generates your comments on the Spits board. Quite frankly, nobody cares what you think!

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Ares your bordering on irritating again! Cmon pennies on the dollar, everyone else is to blame except the kid.... how many times did you see him play in person??? You forget he asked for the trade?? Any number of reasons could be why It didn’t work here and is working in Flint and you know it! Your just instigating!!

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
How many Spits games have you personally been to? You can't possibly act like a know it all when you have extremely little concrete foundation to even comment. I know you think London rocks and Windsor sucks, which generates your comments on the Spits board. Quite frankly, nobody cares what you think!

I dont know it all. Not even close.
I do have a foundation to comment from be it agreed with or not/ right or wrong.
I dont think London rocks/Windsor sucks (what are we 11 years old lol)

More than a coupke Spits posters also questioned the same things I have.

Windsor like every org ( yes including London as my posts on that board suggest) have done some things well, others not so much. I have given credit to Windsor.
One of the first on here to say DiPi was a good pick and fans would be happy.
Said Cuylle was a good trade and well worth it. Said Morgan was a good pick up but would need a couple years to hit his stride. Ect.....

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Ares your bordering on irritating again! Cmon pennies on the dollar, everyone else is to blame except the kid.... how many times did you see him play in person??? You forget he asked for the trade?? Any number of reasons could be why It didn’t work here and is working in Flint and you know it! Your just instigating!!

Yup your right. Could be any # of reasons. Just tried to say they didnt get the most out of him for whatever reason. And it happened to a handful of kids this year in Windsor which led me to speculate it isnt all on tbe kids thst left the team, asked to becmoved, were cut loose. I could very well be wrong and wont go on anymore.

I have seen him play in person in the OHL a few times, tv others and alot in MM up close n personal.

He is a good kid from my personal dealings with him. He didnt produce or give the Spits what they wanted, Spits didnt find a way to get it out of him. So be it. It happens to every junior club at times.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
It's nice to see that record. Unfortunately in less than 30% of their games this year they actually had a lead through 2 periods. The other times they are either tied or losing and have only won 8 of those 41 other games. This stat would fall in line with Letowski last year saying he was happy having the same record at home and away because it speaks to how consistent they are.....

still surprising they havent lost. Safe to say we are in the bottom 3rd of the league so I'd be curious to see what the numbers are of some teams in that middle pack of the league. Is the 30% an average amount, low, or even high.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I have a hard time blaming the kid when the consensus seems to be the coaching isn't great. He played around 60+ games as a Spitfire. He gets traded and did Wellwood just sprinkle dust on him? Did Morgan have a come to Welly moment? I don't think he's necessarily instigating. We are talking about a team battling at the bottom of the playoff ladder. If we are still talking about this stuff next year there better not be a single person out there blaming the player because at that time it's on coaching and management 100%.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Game notes - not a good game yesterday for either team. Passing the puck needs to be a big part of practice this week. Passing the puck is skill used a lot in a hockey game including the PP.:rolleyes: Yes they won but they did not deserve it. OS did not play any better and Spits lucked out with the win.
Liked Boka yesterday - he played hard not his fault where he ends up in the line up. Another thought I had yesterday - maybe Boka missed his calling, should have strapped on the goalie pads at some point. I think he stops as many shots in a game as our goalie, that has to hurt. Maybe he should have been a tender?

Please don't laugh but I'm starting to like what Staios is bringing now. Seems after Christmas the light has turned on a bit. Less and less giveaways and rushes and more attempts to move the puck and make the proper up pass. Yes he needs work but I'm starting to seem a glimmer of hope. He does have a nice shot from the back end and with it being low and on net it is starting to be effective. Wonder if someone gave him the green light to shoot more as he suddenly is letting it go a bit. His size is an issue and you saw that yesterday when he had little to no effect in the scrum. Maybe but maybe we are starting to see a first round pick be a first round pick. Hopefully this does not jinx him.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I have a hard time blaming the kid when the consensus seems to be the coaching isn't great. He played around 60+ games as a Spitfire. He gets traded and did Wellwood just sprinkle dust on him? Did Morgan have a come to Welly moment? I don't think he's necessarily instigating. We are talking about a team battling at the bottom of the playoff ladder. If we are still talking about this stuff next year there better not be a single person out there blaming the player because at that time it's on coaching and management 100%.
I don’t blame the kid one bit. It wasn’t working here for whatever reason. What bothers me is a guy that hardly ever sees him play comments. Uses cracks like pennies on the dollar lol. A 2nd and fourth isn’t pennies. The kid also had a chat and asked for the trade, can’t keep him if he doesn’t want to be here. He was grandstanding and says he’s a fair minded guy lol. That kinda comment shows a bias imho.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don’t blame the kid one bit. It wasn’t working here for whatever reason. What bothers me is a guy that hardly ever sees him play comments. Uses cracks like pennies on the dollar lol. A 2nd and fourth isn’t pennies. The kid also had a chat and asked for the trade, can’t keep him if he doesn’t want to be here. He was grandstanding and says he’s a fair minded guy lol. That kinda comment shows a bias imho.

That's fair. I wouldn't get hung up on the "pennies" comment. I think there are a fair amount of people that believe moving Vilardi/Day to get Morgan for 60 games and flip him for a 2nd/4th doesn't exactly shine a bright light on the trade. We all have biases built in some believe that Warren has done a great job this year. Some will point to the past 21 games as some sort of improvement. Some believe the team has underachieved.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Ok then lol Had a lengthy reply but no need.

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I'd almost like to see Staios move up front; see what he can do with that speed and offensive desire.

That would be a very poor idea. Look at what the team has returning next year on D under your plan.

Corcoran 19
Ladd 18
Stevenson OA-probably not good enough to be back
Robinson-17 year old rookie

Where are you going to get your other 3 D to replace Staois?

I would also add why move Staois up front? Where would he play? 4th line? Seems dumb to play your 1st round pick from 2017 move him to F after 2 years and reduce his playing time in the process.

Reactions: aresknights

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
At no point did I say permanently move him; just see what he can do up front. I know I'm not alone in this thinking, either (and I don't mean Legend).

BTW, you forgot Henault...

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
At no point did I say permanently move him; just see what he can do up front. I know I'm not alone in this thinking, either (and I don't mean Legend).

BTW, you forgot Henault...
Ya I don't think you are going to move him up front anytime soon. with only 5 D won't happen this year and I don't see the benefit even for next year. No real good reason to move him up, let him develop on D. He will likely be around for 2 or 3 years so best to let him get stronger in his natural position. With Allen and Stevenson likely gone he will stay at D.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Ya I don't think you are going to move him up front anytime soon. with only 5 D won't happen this year and I don't see the benefit even for next year. No real good reason to move him up, let him develop on D. He will likely be around for 2 or 3 years so best to let him get stronger in his natural position. With Allen and Stevenson likely gone he will stay at D.

At some point; doesn't have to be anytime soon. He kind of has the makings of a forward - speed, creativity, willingness to jump in the play.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
At some point; doesn't have to be anytime soon. He kind of has the makings of a forward - speed, creativity, willingness to jump in the play.

Which forward do you think Staois would be better than if you put him up front? Ignoring Campbell and Garagan because one can't return and Garagan shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad