Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I'm not mad about the Morgan Trade. He wasn't given every opportunity to succeed, but was given opportunities. I think Morgan was kind of lost in the rebuild. We bring in a 12th Overall Pick in the Vilardi/Day trade, it's exciting, he's young, hopeful. Puts up 14 points in 32 games, not bad for a first year player.

Then we draft Foudy. We trade for Cuylle. Yeah, they're tearing it up now, but even at the beginning of the season. You ask me which guys I'm excited to watch for the next couple years, I'm talking about them and douglas, and staios and henault. There were days when I forgot Cody Morgan was on this team, and he was in the lineup.

Nothing against the kid, but he just didn't stand out here. The fact he asked for the trade, I believe hurt the value a bit. I don't know if the Spits would've been putting him on the trade block otherwise, but what do you do? Say sorry, we don't want to trade you to a team where you can play 1st/2nd line minutes, we'll keep you here for the next year on the 4th line and see what happens?

Is a 2nd and a 4th a great return for a 17 year old point a game player. No.
Is a 2nd and a 4th a great return for a 17 year old player who's put up 9 points in 33 games after previously putting up 14 points in 32 games? Not great. But sounds a heck of a lot better.

If Morgan got traded back tonight and played with Windsor the rest of the season, he'd probably turn back into the point every 3/4 game player he was here. Nothing against the kid. We got fair value for what he did in Windsor if you ignore where he was drafted. Toss in "1st Round Pick" and anything can sound bad.

Good for him, I wish him the best of success in Flint, and maybe he'll end up getting drafted since he's been moved to the birds.

On the topic of Playfair, I wouldn't say he never produced. Even when the stat sheet didn't know it, he was noticeable out there. Reminded me of Boka his first couple seasons. Hard working, willing to dig for pucks, block shots, etc.

Am I the only one still mad his concussion was missed by all 4 officials and not even a 2 minute minor penalty was called on the play? (And can anyone find the footage of this)?

I believe my original prediction this year was 4th - 6th seed. So IMO, yes, they're underperforming. I expected them to have a higher seeding before Mikey was traded. I expected Kari to be playing similar to the way Incze is now. I'm still on the fence of if I want to see them in the playoffs for the sake of the draft. Management has put the Spits in the position to tank, but I think playing down a couple guys, may actually help them out when they end up with a full roster.

At this point in time, I say we hang on to Incze next year if he keeps it up. He's been looking good, and is the only thing I see as a "Starter" right now for 19/20. Kari's not getting the time, and if I was him, I wouldn't want to come back next year. If I was Spits Management, I wouldn't want to fill up a Import Spot with him based on his performance as a Spitfire so far. I can't imagine it being easy being in his situation. "Hey we have the best goalie in the OHL, come on over to NA play backup to him for half a season, then you'll be our starter for the 2nd half before your draft year. Oh, we actually we're trading for another 19yo goalie who you're gonna ride the bench behind, maybe next year."

I feel like Kari has been mismanaged. Cody Morgan just didn't produce here for whatever reason. Cuylle/Foudy/Douglas/DAmico/Playfair/Staios/Ladd/Henault and even Frasca are fun to watch and I hope to for the next few seasons.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Detspitsfan

Good post overall,a couple of notes at the time Dipietro was dealt,they were in 6th place,trailed Saginaw by a point for 5th,and were 3 points behind Owen Sound for 4th and were trending upwards going 9-5-1 prior to the Dipietro deal.
Agree with what you wrote about Morgan.
As for Piironen dont feel he has been mishandled if he plays well,he gets
to play alot more,unfortunately he struggled, Incze came in and has pretty darn good,2.35 goals against,928 save percentage in last 7 starts,cant blame Letowski,I would do the same thing.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
to play alot more,unfortunately he struggled, Incze came in and has pretty darn good,2.35 goals against,928 save percentage in last 7 starts,cant blame Letowski,I would do the same thing.

If this was a normal season, I'd agree, but it's not. We're playing the kids and that's been a focus all season. This means playing Piiroinen, too, and letting the play happen as it will. Don't get me wrong; I like Incze. Good kid, knows his stuff, and I'm happy he's on the team. However, at the very worst, the ratio needed to be 60/40 Piiroinen, not 80/20 Incze. That's how you develop the young goaltender. You can't play the kids everywhere else and ignore the net. This just leads to confusion next season and I think that's the last thing this board needs :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: KyGuy9

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
The problem with Morgan is he wasnt thrown in as part of the Kigston trade, he was the centerpiece coming back. A 1st rounder starts his 2nd season on the 4th line playing about 6minutes a game and the organization is dissappointed when he doesnt produce. I dont know why he soured on his time here and wanted out.(sarcasm) You cant just say some players work out and some dont. You need to put the kids in a situation they can succeed in. Playing on the 4th line of a rebuilding team with offensively limited players is not showing a youngster he is part of their plan moving forward. Confidence is a big part of the game for these kids and nothing in how he was used by the coaches showed they had any confidence in him as a player. That part is all on the staff. Morgan not proving them wrong on the ice is on him. We are seeing how Morgan performs with offensive minded players with a staff/ organization that shows it believes in his abilities. Seeing some of the same treatment with Kari right now. Coaching staff doesnt trust his play atm, justified or not, but if you dont show confidence in his ability dont be surprised if the player loses confidence in himself. These are kids afterall.
I would have liked to have kept Morgan and traded Letowski for Wellwood.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Detspitsfan

Good post overall,a couple of notes at the time Dipietro was dealt,they were in 6th place,trailed Saginaw by a point for 5th,and were 3 points behind Owen Sound for 4th and were trending upwards going 9-5-1 prior to the Dipietro deal.
Agree with what you wrote about Morgan.

Right..they r doing whatever needs possible to make the playoffs. Even if it means the fin doesn't get to develop more in this league. #sacrifice

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Right..they r doing whatever needs possible to make the playoffs. Even if it means the fin doesn't get to develop more in this league. #sacrifice

What about the development of the other young players on this team,I see nothing wrong with creating a winning culture,and it starts by winning games and using players who are playing best to get it.
Because of your anti Letowski bias,you go both ways,if Windsor wins,he is a lousy coach,if they lose he is a lousy coach,cant have it both days,you go with the hot hand,Piironen knows this,if were the hot one in goal,he would be playing,and I would support that,you are playing both sides,cant a fair conversation, bottom line I want wins,you have a different agenda.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
What about the development of the other young players on this team,I see nothing wrong with creating a winning culture,and it starts by winning games and using players who are playing best to get it.
Because of your anti Letowski bias,you go both ways,if Windsor wins,he is a lousy coach,if they lose he is a lousy coach,cant have it both days,you go with the hot hand,Piironen knows this,if were the hot one in goal,he would be playing,and I would support that,you are playing both sides,cant a fair conversation, bottom line I want wins,you have a different agenda.

I like the young kids playing. And they have sonewhat.
However the fin has not.
Windsor playing the hot hand yes. But they r also not developing the fin. Just trying to save face for what the season has become. Get a few dollars for playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if the fin doesn't come back next year. Wasn't handled well at all.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I'm pretty sure Pirroinen was told prior to signing here he would be starting the majority of games if and when Mikey was dealt. The Finn has got so much pressure on him now after coach publicly named Incze the #1. If Incze had played just average the last 5 games we'd be talking about the losing streak, the line combos, the pathetic power play, the coaching. So what has really changed the last several games. I'll get excited when our goalies play average games and we keep winning. This team has relied too heavily on great goaltending as the major key to success.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I'm pretty sure Pirroinen was told prior to signing here he would be starting the majority of games if and when Mikey was dealt. The Finn has got so much pressure on him now after coach publicly named Incze the #1. If Incze had played just average the last 5 games we'd be talking about the losing streak, the line combos, the pathetic power play, the coaching. So what has really changed the last several games. I'll get excited when our goalies play average games and we keep winning. This team has relied too heavily on great goaltending as the major key to success.

Average goaltending rarely wins championships ask Erie in 2017 at Mem Cup,Las Vegas last year,no different then relying on big time scorers to win games,goaltending most important position in the game today,average wont cut it.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Average goaltending rarely wins championships ask Erie in 2017 at Mem Cup,Las Vegas last year,no different then relying on big time scorers to win games,goaltending most important position in the game today,average wont cut it.
Last i checked Erie did win OHL title in 17 and Windsor didn’t. So i guess it does win championships.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR

I agree that goaltending is extremely important and without it your team has little chance of success. During a regular season average goaltending performances combined with a good team still yields a lot of wins. Playoff success requires above average goaltending and great team play combined. We have had Dipietro arguably the best OHL goalie ever and we still have not won a playoff series with him. You need both components. Yes a mem cup win was fantastic with him but we had the only easy way to get into the tournament. Hosting it. We won 2 men cups based on great teams with good goalies and 1 cup with a great goalie on a good team. I'm just saying it's easier to find a great goalie by acquisition to make a run than finding multiple players to fill out the roster to complement a great goalie.

Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Last i checked Erie did win OHL title in 17 and Windsor didn’t. So i guess it does win championships.

Meant to say National championships,and you weren't in the room when tears were streaming down the faces of the Erie players when they lost the final game against Windsor ,I was,difficult to see,ask those players if they feel the same way,till you see it or are a part of it you dont know.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Meant to say National championships,and you weren't in the room when tears were streaming down the faces of the Erie players when they lost the final game against Windsor ,I was,difficult to see,ask those players if they feel the same way,till you see it or are a part of it you dont know.

No i wasnt in the room.
Really no reason u should be either in erie room.
Erie should be very proud of their season. They played hard and "deserved " to be in the memorial cup. Won the OHL Championship. Didnt have a 6 week layoff. They played actually meaningful hockey.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
No i wasnt in the room.
Really no reason u should be either in erie room.
Erie should be very proud of their season. They played hard and "deserved " to be in the memorial cup. Won the OHL Championship. Didnt have a 6 week layoff. They played actually meaningful hockey.

I was working the tournament for a TV/Internet station so I had access like every accredited person was given.
That 6 week layoff could have gone the other way as it did to London in 2014,when they got blitzed,outscored 14-4,and 0-3 record, I know you struggle to give praise to Windsor,have not heard 1 player or coach, or GM,ask to have their name taken off the cup,or returned a ring.

Reactions: three dog night

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I was working the tournament for a TV/Internet station so I had access like every accredited person was given.
That 6 week layoff could have gone the other way as it did to London in 2014,when they got blitzed,outscored 14-4,and 0-3 record, I know you struggle to give praise to Windsor,have not heard 1 player or coach, or GM,ask to have their name taken off the cup,or returned a ring.

We r not talking about other teams and the layoff. We r talking about what windsor did or lack of what they did. I know your fascination with what london does or don't do is huge. Not tslking about them.
What person actually brings back the ring or such? That is a bad n weak defense to your argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad