Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You need character wins like this.

Incze stood on his head, nearly literally with that stacked pad save on a 2-on-1.

Playfair/Boka/Douglas is humming along nicely. A pretty solid total team effort, though.

The powerplay went 0-6 or something. That can't keep happening. We kept saying "at some point, they're going to even it up for OS and that's going to be an issue."

Great pre-game ceremony for Mickey. Smaller crowd than I thought, just 5100 or so. It LOOKED like it was closer to 5800.

Douglas gets into it with Perrott and, surprisingly, loses. You get inside on someone and anything can happen. Cuylle stands up for Foudy and almost gets into it. Staios gets jumped later but nothing really doing there. Not sure how Staios got a major but Cuylle didn't?!

Three game winning streak and undefeated in regulation in five; that's not a bad little stat.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I found that game was very very slow starting. I found it pretty boring for pretty much the first period and a half or more. Incze probably should have been the first star as without him the Spits lose that game. Spits outshoot OS but it felt like OS had the better scoring chances. The team frustrated me by trying to make that extra pass most of the game when they got down low. Then Staios shows that just throwing the puck at the net things can happen. Nice win for the team. Seems like Incze will be getting pretty much all the starts down the stretch until he faulters. I will admit when we got him and looking at his numbers i wasn’t sure why we would grab him. He has been a pleasant surprise.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Great ceremony for Mickey. Well deserved.
Bigger crowd tonight. Might be the day off for kids or the 4 tix for 50 dollars promotion.
Spits shot lots but not a whole lot of great chances. Being on the pp helps a lot too.
Spits pp still AWFUL. going 0 for 7 is terrible coaching. Why is Boka still on the pp? Why has this not been solved yet?
A few fights this game. Spits didn't win any of them. But sure celebrated like they did.
Incze played very well. Stopped some real qualify shots. Saving Windsor to make the playoffs with his goaltending.
The fin goalie? riding the pine. I am sure that is what he wanted to see when he came over here for this season. lol
Sting won in OT making the bottom 4 places really closer now.

Reactions: three dog night

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I found that game was very very slow starting. I found it pretty boring for pretty much the first period and a half or more. Incze probably should have been the first star as without him the Spits lose that game. Spits outshoot OS but it felt like OS had the better scoring chances. The team frustrated me by trying to make that extra pass most of the game when they got down low. Then Staios shows that just throwing the puck at the net things can happen. Nice win for the team. Seems like Incze will be getting pretty much all the starts down the stretch until he faulters. I will admit when we got him and looking at his numbers i wasn’t sure why we would grab him. He has been a pleasant surprise.

The physical part of the game was seemingly the most interesting part. Between the sloppy plays, missed passes, going offsides on the PP a few times. It was overall a tough watch but they found a way to get a W. In regards to Incze seems like the Spits will have a goaltending issue going into next year. There isn't a reason Piroinen should want to return. Incze has played well but I wouldn't say well enough to commit to as an OA next year. Might mean they draft another import goalie or 16 year old goalie very high.

Reactions: windsor7 and Sec108

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You don't want to commit to Incze next season because then what happens beyond that? You get a rent-a-goalie for a run? This is why you let Piiroinen sink or swim; if he does well, great. If he struggles, then you work with him to get him ready for full-time duty next season. I like Incze a whole lot but this has been a fuster.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
It was a 2nd in 2020 and 4th in 2021.

Sold low considering he was a centre piece in a big deal just last year.

I get not every situation is a good fit for any # of reasons, but in a rebuild....and considering production since the trade....Is this on the Spits staff, and how they used him, supported him...?

Only reason I ask is claims were made on here about a few players being (a problem in room or however ya wanna put it)
Having talked directly with a bench staff member this wasnt a case with Morgan. Knowing him, the allegation seemed off and his production since moved all suggest he may have been painted with a brush that was done so outta convenience by some posters here?

These are teens, kids and its why I try n not get into the stuff that was alluded to about him and others (but yes I have been guilty of it as well, no doubt)

Reactions: FireBall959

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Here's my take on that:

Morgan was the lone player to come back in the deal, BUT, they also had a ton of picks, too. We can't forget those. You weren't getting Vilardi or Day back this season. It was basically one player + oodles of picks for two really good rentals.

Five second-round picks can be utilized in a number of ways (as well as the third-rounder). Morgan was expected to be better than he turned out but to get a second and fourth isn't bad. Means the deal is six 2nds + 3rd + 4th for Day/Vilardi, which is a good haul if you use the picks correctly.

Who messed the situation up? I think it's a combination. Morgan wasn't lighting it up on the ice by any stretch. There were numerous times where I wondered if he was benched, only to see him skating around and doing nothing. It's very unfortunate but he didn't stand out at all. There was lots of talk about stuff behind the scenes, which may or may not be true and may or may not have contributed. In the end, probably best for all parties if he gets moved. I don't know 100% what the issue was but both parties seem to be just fine after.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
First off pretty entertaining game! Win was earned. Still coaching issues imho. Great tending both ways! The Finn is young, I’m not upset and from what I hear he understands the situation. Good to see Douglas playing hard. The Morgan trade was a mutual agreement, wasn’t that discussed already?? Team seemed way more interested in playing than I’ve seen in months!! Starting to see u Cuylie was rated ahead of Foudy! Still believe Staios is a forward, he’s not smart or strong enough to be a solid D man.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Yes fantastic win to cap the week. Yes next week starts thurs. Love that we have been winning and the effort the boys have been putting forth. Reality check 0-7 on the power play. Come on coach. The true reason we have been winning lately has been solely the play of INZCE. He struggles and we be talking about a long losing streak. Yet when Pirroinen played well and lost. Goalie change to Incze. This demonstrates a desperate TL saving his neck with no regard to development towards next season. The team and TL success has rested solely on getting great goaltending. Whether it was Mikey or Incze without a great game from our goalie we are dead in the water in reality.

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Sold low considering he was a centre piece in a big deal just last year.

I get not every situation is a good fit for any # of reasons, but in a rebuild....and considering production since the trade....Is this on the Spits staff, and how they used him, supported him...?

Only reason I ask is claims were made on here about a few players being (a problem in room or however ya wanna put it)
Having talked directly with a bench staff member this wasnt a case with Morgan. Knowing him, the allegation seemed off and his production since moved all suggest he may have been painted with a brush that was done so outta convenience by some posters here?

These are teens, kids and its why I try n not get into the stuff that was alluded to about him and others (but yes I have been guilty of it as well, no doubt)

I think it's a lot easier to put the blame on the players and certainly departing ones. We have seen here it's harder for some than others to put the blame and responsibility on management/coaches. I think the frustrating part is there are signs obviously that Morgan is going to be a productive player and Flint got him for nickles on the dollar. Windsor needs to start getting value from acquisitions like that.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Yes fantastic win to cap the week. Yes next week starts thurs. Love that we have been winning and the effort the boys have been putting forth. Reality check 0-7 on the power play. Come on coach. The true reason we have been winning lately has been solely the play of INZCE. He struggles and we be talking about a long losing streak. Yet when Pirroinen played well and lost. Goalie change to Incze. This demonstrates a desperate TL saving his neck with no regard to development towards next season. The team and TL success has rested solely on getting great goaltending. Whether it was Mikey or Incze without a great game from our goalie we are dead in the water in reality.

Right and when the playoffs starts there's a 99% chance of them facing either London/Soo/Saginaw or miss the playoffs completely. Nice to see them beat teams more on their level but the goal should be more than just that. If Letowski really wants to work on that job thing he should stop forcing Boka on the PP. Boka has 4 career PPG in 244 career games maybe Letowski is hoping that squirrel finds a nut but doesn't seem like it.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Windsor got a 2nd and a 4th for a player who had potential but had struggled on two clubs. That's not bad value. Good on Morgan for finding his way in Flint; it's one of those "win-win" situations. Now, it's up to WR to make the most of those picks.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Windsor got a 2nd and a 4th for a player who had potential but had struggled on two clubs. That's not bad value. Good on Morgan for finding his way in Flint; it's one of those "win-win" situations. Now, it's up to WR to make the most of those picks.

That 2020 2nd rounder and 4th rounder in 2021 isn't doing much good right now. He struggled on Kingston because he was a rookie on a loaded team. This is what is meant by nickles on the dollar. Flint has already gotten value from Morgan and unless that pick is moved in the next 18 months that means the pick just sits there. It's a win situation for Flint. Not sure what Windsor is getting out of it right now.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Its totally bad value. CMon. Its terrible.

Struggled first half of 16 yr old season on a team going for it? Odd you would say that. If it were a Spit rookie, in a go for it year I could just imagine the lengths some would go to defend him lol.
He struggled in Windsor because of the situstion/staff/himself.... Whatever. But the fact he has succeeded elsewhere the same year, suggests ... At least in part Spits dropped the ball in how to deal with the situation/player.

I noticed HL "liked" your post.
Very consistent with the selective bias.

Dress it it up you like OHLTG but the main piece in the "sell" deal was a mid 1st rd pick player. They in turn flipped that for a 2nd n 4th. Past precedent says thats a terrible return 1 year post top 15cpick regardkess of situation.. Heck look at at what London got for a Rowe (a later pick than Morgan with more baggage to the same team ;))

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Like I said, neither side in it was particularly good, but that's why they moved him. Both sides needed to move on. I honestly didn't mind the return. If they can get the proper assets with the picks, then what's the issue? I laugh at comparing London/Rowe to this; somehow, Hunter could make most deals work. I can't begin to explain that one haha

That 2020 2nd rounder and 4th rounder in 2021 isn't doing much good right now. He struggled on Kingston because he was a rookie on a loaded team. This is what is meant by nickles on the dollar. Flint has already gotten value from Morgan and unless that pick is moved in the next 18 months that means the pick just sits there. It's a win situation for Flint. Not sure what Windsor is getting
out of it right now.

Why does Windsor have to get anything out of it right now, in terms of assets? They got the future picks which can be used in a multitude of ways down the road. It's not like it's some 2024 pick, it's next season. Did anyone on here REALLY expect Morgan to get 18 points in 20 games with the Firebirds? No. Congrats on him for doing so but we weren't about to get a solid 2001 and/or multiple seconds for him. The kid has talent but it wasn't realized. Not everyone is going to like the deal, just like not everyone is going to hate it.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Like I said, neither side in it was particularly good, but that's why they moved him. Both sides needed to move on. I honestly didn't mind the return. If they can get the proper assets with the picks, then what's the issue? I laugh at comparing London/Rowe to this; somehow, Hunter could make most deals work. I can't begin to explain that one haha

Why does Windsor have to get anything out of it right now, in terms of assets? They got the future picks which can be used in a multitude of ways down the road. It's not like it's some 2024 pick, it's next season. Did anyone on here REALLY expect Morgan to get 18 points in 20 games with the Firebirds? No. Congrats on him for doing so but we weren't about to get a solid 2001 and/or multiple seconds for him. The kid has talent but it wasn't realized. Not everyone is going to like the deal, just like not everyone is going to hate it.

Pretty sure there wasn't much of a market for Morgan at the time he was dealt,getting what Windsor got in the form of draft picks plus just importantly for release of obligation of a gold package education wise should he flame out,very vital moving to have a slot, package wise to utilize
A player that was under performing with little signs of snapping out of it,unfortunately wished it wasn't the case,if Rychel could have got a better he would have held on,clearly that wasn't happening, in end for me no problem with deal,and some may change their minds,should Windsor be able to get a gold package guy in the near future.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits with the win today now 3-0-0-2 in their last 5 games,so far like last season finishing up the final 1/4 of the season pretty strongly.
Last year Spits finished the last 17 games 9-6-2,while in the 1st 7 of the last quarter they are 3-1-1-2,with a favourable schedule left for the most part.
Impressed with the play of goalie Colton Inzce,who has been outstanding lately, he has earned the No#1 job,and any coach who doesn't go with the hot guy,would be out of a job in my command.
Player confidence goes through the roof when goalie leads the way with his terrific play.
Great to see forward Chris Playfair, finally healthy, producing at a healthy rate 5 goals in his last 5 games,a game winner,3 opening game goals, solid PK.
Thought he has criticized unfairly at times on these boards,played well in last years playoffs, was trending upwards when he got hurt earlier in the season, really happy for him,nice to see him step up.
Dman Nathan Staios has perked up his game lately too,3 goals,5 points,2 game winners in the last 3 games,needs to clean up his defensive play overall like what I am seeing.
Good test coming up on Thursday versus SSM,a team the Spits have played pretty well this season, despite the 1-2-1 record against them,could easily be reversed.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Well you have said the team is rebuilding, the guy is 17 years old, the team currently is dressing fewer than the max players in games. I just don't believe the Spits are in a position to be tossing away players for picks a couple years down the road. You realize in order to utilize that 2020 pick to get a better player you would probably have to attach a player to said pick. I would have a different opinion if Morgan's ice time after the trade was being given to other young guys but it's gone to guys like Campbell/Garagan. Guys who either have run out of eligibility or aren't good enough to be here in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->