Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I do think the team is better than last year's year ending team. Overall last year, the team finished 6th, but would have finished 8th, if they had lost their final game to Saginaw. A "stand on his head" performance by Brock Baier (his only win of the year) put them is 6th place. However,the first half of the season, they had Brown, Day, Luchuk, McEneny and Vilardi. If they had kept those players, they probably would have finished top 4. So, compare this team's performance against the 2nd half of the year. It is pretty much Apples to Apples. This team is much better than that team with the exception of goaltending.

Two years ago, the Spits were Mem Cup Champions (don't argue, look it up, they won the Cup). There are only 5 players left from that team: Purboo, Boka, Corcoran, Angle and Playfair. Purboo and Boka were 3rd or 4th liners and Corcoran was playing out of position as a forward on the 4th line. Angle and Playfair were in the pressbox. The team has added no significant veteran presence since that time.

The team is getting better and should be much better next year. The Offense is much better than the 2nd part of last year and much better than the first half of this year. In the beginning of the season, they were struggling to score 2 goals a game. Now 3 to 5 goals a game is common place. If they had kept DiPietro, this team would easily finish 5th. They needed to trade DiPietro because who is satisfied with 5th.

Anyone that has been around hockey knows that Forwards develop the quickest. We are seeing that now. I like the way most of our younger Forwards are developing especially Foudy, Cuylee and D'Amico. Angle has been the team's most improved player. Frasca and McDonald have looked very good at times, but could probably use more consistent icetime.

The defence is always slower to develop. We have an OA defenceman in Allen, a 1999 in Stevenson, 2000 in Corcoran and 2001 Ds in Staios, Henault and Ladd. The 2 oldest Ds are probably the least talented of the 6. Corcoran is drafted and I expect the other 3 to be invited to NHL camps in the next 2 years. Yes, the D has not performed well, but look at the age of the group.

Goaltenders are the slowest to develop. We have a 2001 Starter who is a rookie. He has played well at times and terrible at other times. That is the norm for a 17yo in the OHL (not named DiPietro). If you look at most of the top Goaltenders in the league, they weren't starters at 17, and they also didn't have the pressure of being DiPietro's replacement).

Overall, the team has gathered some very good talent. Hopefully they will develop and additional pieces can be placed around them. I am not predicating that this will be a super team over the next 2 to 3 years, but some very talented pieces are there.

Just as a side note on how teams are doing that played in the 2017 Memorial Cup. In a league (CHL) where 54 of 60 teams make the playoffs. If the season ended today, Erie and Seattle would not be in the playoffs, while St. John would have the last playoff spot in the Q. The Spitfires have done the best job of rebuilding of the 4.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Who cares,a championship was the goal and it was achieved period.
On to try to win another championship or two in this cycle ,if it happens great, if it doesn't matter to me.

They worked the system to benefit them.
And windsor never gets any breaks.
Awesome.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not sure when any particular poster wants to start the clock on a rebuild, to each there own.
But when a team ships out talents In 1 year like Luchuk, Day, Vilardi, Brown, Stanley...... For the returns they got, helping replinish some much needed picks and also adding a few young (at the time promising) players....
Id guess thats a strong signal the rebuild is underway.
And for collectively much more in return than DiPi, althou he was the franchises most important player. The combined return of all those players should contribute more to a rebuild than DiPis return. Just the way I look at it. Not saying right or wrong.
Actually not trying defend the argument either way - Junior hockey is stuck with an age-out rule that will forever keep this argument going. Discussion is fun but sometimes it feels like the old days - you know- stuck in detention with the same cast of characters! Carry on folks.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I do think the team is better than last year's year ending team. Overall last year, the team finished 6th, but would have finished 8th, if they had lost their final game to Saginaw. A "stand on his head" performance by Brock Baier (his only win of the year) put them is 6th place. However,the first half of the season, they had Brown, Day, Luchuk, McEneny and Vilardi. If they had kept those players, they probably would have finished top 4. So, compare this team's performance against the 2nd half of the year. It is pretty much Apples to Apples. This team is much better than that team with the exception of goaltending.

Two years ago, the Spits were Mem Cup Champions (don't argue, look it up, they won the Cup). There are only 5 players left from that team: Purboo, Boka, Corcoran, Angle and Playfair. Purboo and Boka were 3rd or 4th liners and Corcoran was playing out of position as a forward on the 4th line. Angle and Playfair were in the pressbox. The team has added no significant veteran presence since that time.

The team is getting better and should be much better next year. The Offense is much better than the 2nd part of last year and much better than the first half of this year. In the beginning of the season, they were struggling to score 2 goals a game. Now 3 to 5 goals a game is common place. If they had kept DiPietro, this team would easily finish 5th. They needed to trade DiPietro because who is satisfied with 5th.

Anyone that has been around hockey knows that Forwards develop the quickest. We are seeing that now. I like the way most of our younger Forwards are developing especially Foudy, Cuylee and D'Amico. Angle has been the team's most improved player. Frasca and McDonald have looked very good at times, but could probably use more consistent icetime.

The defence is always slower to develop. We have an OA defenceman in Allen, a 1999 in Stevenson, 2000 in Corcoran and 2001 Ds in Staios, Henault and Ladd. The 2 oldest Ds are probably the least talented of the 6. Corcoran is drafted and I expect the other 3 to be invited to NHL camps in the next 2 years. Yes, the D has not performed well, but look at the age of the group.

Goaltenders are the slowest to develop. We have a 2001 Starter who is a rookie. He has played well at times and terrible at other times. That is the norm for a 17yo in the OHL (not named DiPietro). If you look at most of the top Goaltenders in the league, they weren't starters at 17, and they also didn't have the pressure of being DiPietro's replacement).

Overall, the team has gathered some very good talent. Hopefully they will develop and additional pieces can be placed around them. I am not predicating that this will be a super team over the next 2 to 3 years, but some very talented pieces are there.

Just as a side note on how teams are doing that played in the 2017 Memorial Cup. In a league (CHL) where 54 of 60 teams make the playoffs. If the season ended today, Erie and Seattle would not be in the playoffs, while St. John would have the last playoff spot in the Q. The Spitfires have done the best job of rebuilding of the 4.

Excellent post,could not have expressed things any better and most people I speak to at rink, be it fans,hockey people pretty much agree.
No question had the four players that were moved out speaking of Morgan, Starikov,Macdougal, Kitkevicious performed better or weren't a cancer in the room,1 of them wont say who,I am sure a few more wins would exist,and as said if Dipietro were here more wins too.
Not every player is going to turn out as expected, dont like it is what it is.

Reactions: OHLTG

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Who cares,a championship was the goal and it was achieved period.
On to try to win another championship or two in this cycle ,if it happens great, if it doesn't matter to me.

Hmmmmm

1. If they win great
2. If they lose no big deal
3. Continue to pat the back of coaching staff/management/players
4. Tell everyone it's looking good
5. Go back to #2

In other other words it doesn't matter to you how the team does but it won't stop you from picking fights and telling us how it's all good. Just as I thought won't answer questions on why they struggle because it would paint the coaching staff and management in a bad light. Of course if they win you will be here to wave those pom-poms.

Reactions: TheGremlin

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
"If" the team struggles next year, will it be just known as "another" rebuild?
that word gets thrown out a awfully lot here.
I hope they improve, but what if they don't?

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Wait, we're comparing Maletta/Smith/Webermin to Cuylle/Foudy/D'Amico? Cuylle alone has more goals at this point than Maletta had points in his entire first season. I think anyone who's logical can see the current trio is already much better than the 2012 version.

I would also take a handful of Kerby Rychel's - back-to-back 40-goal seasons?! Works for me.
You are crazy if you would take a handful of Kerby’s. Yes he scored and played no defense. Constantly last man back into zone. He was almost like a floater skate back easy and once windsor had the puck off he would go. If you had a handful of him you would really need to outscore the team.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Hmmmmm

1. If they win great
2. If they lose no big deal
3. Continue to pat the back of coaching staff/management/players
4. Tell everyone it's looking good
5. Go back to #2

In other other words it doesn't matter to you how the team does but it won't stop you from picking fights and telling us how it's all good. Just as I thought won't answer questions on why they struggle because it would paint the coaching staff and management in a bad light. Of course if they win you will be here to wave those pom-poms.
What a great an accurate post. Don’t forget the meaningless stats over the periods it fits his arguments.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You are crazy if you would take a handful of Kerby’s. Yes he scored and played no defense. Constantly last man back into zone. He was almost like a floater skate back easy and once windsor had the puck off he would go. If you had a handful of him you would really need to outscore the team.

Production wise, I'd still take a few of him. 40 goals is 40 goals.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With 43 games in the books,or close to the 2/3 point of the regular season,I find the differences from last year to this, are interesting.
This season to date Spits have really struggled with teams from the Eastern Conference. This year after 13 games vs the East their record is 4-9,last season at the same point and number of games vs the East, Windsor was 8-4-0-1,pretty much the reverse from this year.
Against teams in their conference this season the Spits are,15-12-2-1,and that's despite being 2-3-0-1 against Erie and Flint.
Last year at this time ,Spits were 14-13-2-1 against teams in their conference.
Another difference is Windsor's road record compared to last year at this time.
This year the Spits are 6-13-1-1 on the road thru 43 games,while last year the Spits were 13-9-0-0 at this point.
Of course with the exception of 13 games when Windsor started moving vets out with the trade of Luchuk,then Brown,Day, McEneney,Spits were a far more experienced, talented group.
Their home record last year at this time was only 9-8-2-1.
This season Spits record at home is 13-8-1-0.
Should be noted that last year Windsor while Windsor had a respectable 16-17-1 road record,they only won three games on the road from the 43 game mark on.
Spits with 12 home games left need only 3 wins to match last year's home wins at 16.
Some other differences from last year to this year is,the number of points from oa players this year oa players
have scored 8 goals and added 16 assists,last year the oa players to this point scored 39 goals and added 77 assists, this year the team is far younger and like last year when younger guys came they struggled to win on the road.
Cant explain why they struggle against the East other then the East overall have better teams then other years.
Another difference from this to last
year is the point production from the 16 year olds ,Windsor's 3 this year have produced 67 points,while last years 6-16 year olds produced 20 points.

Last year Spits scored 137 goals at this point and allowed 130
This season Windsor has 147 goals and allowed 141.
No doubt the departure of Dipietro 14 games ago influenced Windsor's goals against total,and compared to last when Windsor still had the likes of Day and McEneney till game 36,this numbers overall not that bad.
Last year Spits had 48 points,this year Windsor has 41 at this juncture in the seasons.
More experienced roster for most of last season 43 games then this,Spits in my view are better with a brighter future.
Looking forward to it.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Nelly, thanks for posting that!

I got a chance to go to the Wing Night at BWW last night, meet a bunch of the guys. Roughly half the team showed up - Foudy, D'Amico, Boka, Purboo, Allen, Campbell, Incze, for example. Ended up having a long talk with Incze and Campbell, both really good guys, very well spoken. I saw somewhere online that Campbell was listed at 5'7 170; that might even be stretching it. We were legitimately surprised with how small he was. Funny enough, the guy had no issues about talking about fighting (it came up in a round-about way).

That said, props to the Spitfires for holding the event. It was well organized and, while you could tell the players were nervous at times, they all seemed to enjoy themselves. Plus, it was a really good crowd.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
If some of you stuck to chatting about the Spits, hockey, and your thoughts on the current team this would be a much better read.

Reactions: OHLTG

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If some of you stuck to chatting about the Spits, hockey, and your thoughts on the current team this would be a much better read.

Well thank you for your contribution....... I am sure it would be a much better read if the team was more successful as well. Of course it's easier for you to throw shade at the people here. :huh:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Nelly, thanks for posting that!

I got a chance to go to the Wing Night at BWW last night, meet a bunch of the guys. Roughly half the team showed up - Foudy, D'Amico, Boka, Purboo, Allen, Campbell, Incze, for example. Ended up having a long talk with Incze and Campbell, both really good guys, very well spoken. I saw somewhere online that Campbell was listed at 5'7 170; that might even be stretching it. We were legitimately surprised with how small he was. Funny enough, the guy had no issues about talking about fighting (it came up in a round-about way).

That said, props to the Spitfires for holding the event. It was well organized and, while you could tell the players were nervous at times, they all seemed to enjoy themselves. Plus, it was a really good crowd.

Great event.
Good good.

Fighting just happened to come up in the conversation? Hmmm

Reactions: RayzorIsDull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad