Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Should bring up jr b player or two for the next game just to fill in a hole or two.
don't need to hear the players r tired.

That we agree on if there are 3 players missing Thursday bodies should come in.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Defense is a team game
How come you said nothing before the last 2 games,4 wins in a row and only 10 goals allowed, and 4 of them were in the 1st win of the 4,next 3 only 6,and only 4 were even strength
I wait for your excuse.

and before those 4 wins in a row?
I think Windsor lost 6 out of 7 games. And the win was in OT

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
When they win,not a peep about bad coaching, when lose the knives come out.
Ridiculous.

So you are in full support of the current coaching staff?
The job they have done and the job you think they will do moving forward?

You were very positive of the D heading into this year. The posts are public, for all to see. But yet it seems it is an ongoing complaint from posters (even the neutral ones)
So you either over rated their potential this year, or its a coaching issue. Care to choose? Unlikely.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

At this time my support has not wavered.
I supported Rocky Thompson when there was criticism and we saw how that turned out.And he got hired to coach an American League team by Las Vegas and coached them to a 1st place finish.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I supported Rocky Thompson when there was criticism and we saw how that turned out.And he got hired to coach an American League team by Las Vegas and coached them to a 1st place finish.

Awesome. I would not expect your support to waiver. In all things Spits related.

I edited my post. Please re read.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

did they have a really strong team in the AHL that he coached?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

You were very positive of the D heading into this year. The posts are public, for all to see. But yet it seems it is an ongoing complaint from posters (even the neutral ones)
So you either over rated their potential this year, or its a coaching issue. Care to choose? Unlikely.

Neither, winning or losing is a complete team thing.
When Dipietro was here the team was in the top 5 defensively, and Pk,just cant say it was goaltending only,especially in ok forwards blocking shots,d clearing lanes.
This team doesn't quit,they didn't last year either.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
When Dipietro was here the team was in the top 5 defensively, and Pk,just cant say it was goaltending only,especially in ok forwards blocking shots,d clearing lanes.

DiPietro saved their asses every game.

michael freeman

Dec 6, 2018

Another first round exit
If they make playoffs

Zzzzzzzzzz!

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

As expected. No answer, but its all good.
You praised the D, the coaching staff....... Most posters find fault with the D development, talent ect...... You bring up goalie leaving. (Unwittingly playing right into the narrative I broufht up, without answering the question ;))

Lets make it simple. Are you happy with the defensemen's development this year?
A defense, and coaching staff you have praised alot going back a year. Seems many Spits faithful ( not your whipping boyz posters, but neutral ones) think they have regressed
Not the goalie, the D players.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
WR is to blame for poor coaching

You really think this team is a top 4 next year ?

Ask all the STH that question

You will get an honest answer

If you're going to criticize the coaching which is definitely fair game watching their play this season. There needs to be blame put on the man that hired him as coach as well.

This season hasn't gone like anyone in the organization expected. Everything from the GM/players/coaches it's on all of them. The problem is the talent isn't really there to solve their current problems and the coaching doesn't have many solutions either. Their D at the end of the year most likely will end up in the bottom 6 in the league. Rychel severely overestimated the talent on this team before the DiPietro trade and underestimated the collective effect it would have on this team.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
As expected. No answer, but its all good.
You praised the D, the coaching staff....... Most posters find fault with the D development, talent ect...... You bring up goalie leaving. (Unwittingly playing right into the narrative I broufht up, without answering the question ;))

Lets make it simple. Are you happy with the defensemen's development this year?
A defense, and coaching staff you have praised alot going back a year. Seems many Spits faithful ( not your whipping boyz posters, but neutral ones) think they have regressed
Not the goalie, the D players.

Overall yes,Starikov being the exception and we saw what happened to him recently with the team letting him go.
I did not expect the regression in his play expected him to be in top 3D on team.Meant that the younger ones like Ladd,Henault and Staios had to pick things up sooner and for the most part yes.
Like I spoke about earlier not 1 top 10 teams in the league have 3 17 year old d as starters.
Your team London has none let alone 3,and they traded 1-Perrott someone you raved about.
For me it's a process,there will be more D added next year 2 or 3.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Sudbury is a top 10 team in the league and they have 3-4 guys on their D who are either in their 2nd year or rookie year on D Ross/Phillips/Serensits/Thompson.

Yes it's all a process but Starikov was bad, Stevenson isn't worthy of an OA. Your D has 2 OHL 1st round picks, another first pick for the Spits is Corcoran and this is the best they have to offer at this point?

Nobody is asking them to be the best team in the division or conference but something better than fighting for an 8th seed isn't a lot to ask for.

Reactions: aresknights

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
DiPietro saved their asses every game.

Like I said after he was traded, Windsor will drop in the standings. Since the beginning of last year, Windsor/Erie imo have been the same team. The difference was Dipietro and that’s how you were getting most of your wins. Meanwhile Erie had bottom 2/3 goalie play. But both teams are rebuilding and have super young teams, they will struggle to score or play great defense consistently.
It’s not anything to be upset by. Dipietro was that darn good. Elite level goalie. He was stealing most games for that team

Since the Dipietro trade, 68 GA in 14 GP (4.85 per game). 32 shots against per game. Dipietro faced an average of 29 shots per 60 mins

You guys have tremendous young talent. You no longer have an elite veteran goalie though. And that’s going to make a difference

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So Douglas goes out and they put Boka with Foudy and Cuylle and you wonder why Foudy and Cuylle did not get any points??? Both Frasca and Campbell sitting on the bench? I think I am missing something with Boka as I don't see him beyond a 4th liner on the offensive side of the puck.

Angle had a nice game and the kids worked hard. But hard work does not always win you games when you play skill that works hard. We don't match up well against the top teams, we just don't have the skill level to compete with them. There is a big gap between the top 4 teams in this conference and the other 6. Saginaw was in 8th last year so there is always hope.

Saginaw did a lot of heavy lifting in the offseason as well as in season. They took a risk with Perfetti and hit it out of the park, instead of drafting 2 imports they traded for Michnac who's not a star guy but consistent and close to a PPG, they got Wilde to report who's a top tier D who can change the type of team you are, Prosvetov has settled in as a solid goalie, Millman made a brief cameo last year with Saginaw but has also made an impact on their team. If you look at their roster last year compared to this year

In
Perfetti
Michnac
Wilde
Prosvetov
Millman(6 games last year)
Murray
Lennox
O'Grady
Tippett
McLeod

That's half the roster turned over in half a year. A big move that wasn't with the roster but changed things was firing Troy Smith though, the team is night and day better from when Smith was their coach and it's just not a coincidence now.

Can Rychel and the Spits flip over half the roster in 12 months? Sure he can but he seems pretty steadfast in believing in this group. Is Rychel able to make a tough decision and possibly go in a different coaching direction? I doubt it.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Man oh man, where was all this discussion when they won four in a row?

Saginaw's a good team and their fans deserve a winner. We just took the Hounds to a one-goal game in SSM, then had a helluva effort against a team that's going for it, in their own barn, in our third in three. You'd think the season is over or something.

Thursday is simple - bring in a body or two and get ready to start another streak. The team has confidence. This isn't a secret. Losses happen, especially in these circumstances. Deal with it, fix what needs to be fixed, and get at it again this week.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Last night's Game...(IMHO)...
Let's be honest here. How many of us expected a sweep, this weekend? Right. How many of us expected to win 2 games? Right. How many expected what we got?Right.
Why get your knickers in a knot? This team is what it is and why not take something positive out of it. Look ahead and focus on some of the positives. If you look at the team realistically you have to be satisfied with the weekend. We were in all three games and two were road games against top teams.
Without looking at the games next weekend I'll say we probably win some and lose others. We are that kind of team, we won't win ten in row and we won't lose ten in a row.
The one thing that is worthy of mentioning is our lack of depth. Injuries, suspensions,illness happen to all teams. We need to get a bit more depth to help out. The question is should we sign veteran help or sign players we drafted. Personally I'd like to see us sign a couple of players we drafted who didn't make the team rather than older guys.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Man oh man, where was all this discussion when they won four in a row?

Saginaw's a good team and their fans deserve a winner. We just took the Hounds to a one-goal game in SSM, then had a helluva effort against a team that's going for it, in their own barn, in our third in three. You'd think the season is over or something.

Thursday is simple - bring in a body or two and get ready to start another streak. The team has confidence. This isn't a secret. Losses happen, especially in these circumstances. Deal with it, fix what needs to be fixed, and get at it again this week.

Solid post
No doubt Rychel and his staff will be evaluating furthur on who to add this much of course will be predicated on who upfront will be available this weekend, will Douglas be suspended, will Garagan be good to go,we were told he was a week out when acquired,was Playfair scratched because of re-injury or was he ill.

Reactions: OHLTG

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Let's be honest here. How many of us expected a sweep, this weekend? Right. How many of us expected to win 2 games? Right. How many expected what we got?Right.
Why get your knickers in a knot? This team is what it is and why not take something positive out of it. Look ahead and focus on some of the positives. If you look at the team realistically you have to be satisfied with the weekend. We were in all three games and two were road games against top teams.
Without looking at the games next weekend I'll say we probably win some and lose others. We are that kind of team, we won't win ten in row and we won't lose ten in a row.
The one thing that is worthy of mentioning is our lack of depth. Injuries, suspensions,illness happen to all teams. We need to get a bit more depth to help out. The question is should we sign veteran help or sign players we drafted. Personally I'd like to see us sign a couple of players we drafted who didn't make the team rather than older guys.

Excellent post,unlike some of Debbie Downers on this forum,well said.
While there a number of drafted players I would like to sign,most are 16,some not ready for full contract committment, others are USA born,I can think of at least 3,because they were not signed by Dec 31,USA Hockey wont allow them to
play it's a agreed upon rule .
A couple of 17 year old forwards Michael Andrews and Austin Brimmer I have discussed before,not ready in my view to get 3 yr deals,that being said Andrews despite skating issues has put up points for Leamington a point a game,maybe something can be worked out dont,sometimes it's the player not the team.
Myself I am sure Rychel will beat the bushes,waiver wires,favors owed to bring help in.

Reactions: OHLTG

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
I'd say you've got a great GM in Warren Rychel. Back to Back Memorial Cup wins. 2017 Memorial Cup host and winners. Former coaches, Boughner and Smith in the NHL. Players who love playing in Windsor.

Hard worker, smart trader. He'll have the Spits up there very soon.

michael freeman

Dec 6, 2018
Lol.

You think the Hunter’s would accept 8-9th place finishes

Yeah....real smart

If Spits finish 7-8th again next year (which is very possible) what’s the excuse then ?

Give the STH some credit and upgrade this coaching staff.
If you can’t see the issues then you just don’t want to.

“Poor defense is a team thing ?”
Lol

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not upset with wins or losses. Have said many times before this team has limited ways to get better and one of them is getting a high draft pick. Tough way to advance but it is one piece of the puzzle in a rebuild. My heart wants them to win 68 games every year but somehow they just can't seem to do that:). So at the start of the year we hope for the best - why I said last night there is always hope and used Saginaw as an example but remember they had some tough years before that and got the higher draft picks.

What I don't like is the little things that can make a difference in a game - Boka stepping out as the first line center is not going to get it done - Frasca would have been my first choice. These in game spur of the moment decisions can make or break a team - win/or loss so to speak. Others will defend that decision but that is not the role Boka is suited for. He has a high value to this team but not as a first line scoring center. Ya he had 3 goals in 3 games but lets expand the sample size a bit and then tell me that is his role. We all talk about development but argue when it is suggested we put a younger player in a role they are not ready for. With Frasca stepping up there would the outcome change - a strong likely not but he would hopefully learn from that and get better. Do really thinking Boka is going to get better offensively as he heads toward his OA year if he plays those roles?

I'm all about letting the kids play in key roles now, struggle a bit and yes we will get the high draft pick. If the management wants to talk about this is like 2006 then start playing your rookies like you did in 2006! Development is not about sitting on the bench watching Boka struggle as an offensive player.

Sorry got a little long winded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad