Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Going through these posts have me dizzy

Please help me understand the following

1 - Are their players on the Spots roster and prospects that can make this team competitive for the next 2-4 seasons?
Seems like WR hasn't traded players but draft picks who can become valuable players

2 - STH attendance in the last few yrs have dropped - why?

3 - Who is the problem WR or coaching staff?

4 - If Florida doesn't keep BB will he come back?
RE: #1...Yes, as I mentioned before, the dynamic duo of Cuylle and Foudy will figure prominently in the Spits rebuild. That's a good starting point around which to build...the rest is up to management to provide the necessary additions. As far as rookies are concerned, that puts the Spits ahead of many teams that don't have a one-two punch of '02s that can compare to C and F. Still lots of work to do, but still some bases for optimism moving forward.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

1 - Are their players on the Spots roster and prospects that can make this team competitive for the next 2-4 seasons?
Seems like WR hasn't traded players but draft picks who can become valuable players

IMHO -
1- Yes I really like the young core and want to see them play.
2- Windsor has and always been a what have you done for me lately city- if your not winning their not showing.
3- A bit of both - used a lot of assets to host the Memorial Cup so we will pay for that for a few years. Coaching staff have some flaws and with Webber in his first year they will struggle on D. But all staff at this level will struggle on some nights trying to read young kids from minute to minute.
4- that is a bit of an unknown. Trevor has 2 more years on the contract and with the attendance dropping is there funds to let him go and to be honest would BB really want to step in right away . I would think BB would look for another gig in the NHL first even possibly taking an assist job somewhere. If no luck with that he would likely just "hang around" the Spits until the time is right.

michael freeman

Dec 6, 2018
02’s have been good this year but let’s not forget about the other 16 year olds in the league with a lot more upside

Byfield
Paquette
Rossi
Perfetti
And more

The only good thing is Foudy and Cuylle will be around another 3/4 years so smart move for management

This summers draft is very important so I would suggest focusing on drafting 1 or 2 top Dmen since we have none and see if you can sign Medina

Do what’s right for STH

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
02’s have been good this year but let’s not forget about the other 16 year olds in the league with a lot more upside

Byfield
Paquette
Rossi
Perfetti
And more

The only good thing is Foudy and Cuylle will be around another 3/4 years so smart move for management

This summers draft is very important so I would suggest focusing on drafting 1 or 2 top Dmen since we have none and see if you can sign Medina

Do what’s right for STH

Rossi is an 01
Paquette, you probably meant Perraul
I dont see any of them miles ahead of Cuylle and Foudy,and nobody has 2 of them.
I predict the line of Foudy,Cuylle and McDonald will be the best line in the OHL the year after next and they all will be only 18.
As for Medina not going to happen, a 5'10" goalie wont cut it.

michael freeman

Dec 6, 2018
Sorry but neither even close to Byfield
Byfield is a man among boys
I guess with Sudbury being in the North you don’t watch many of their games

Only plus is Byfield will go #1 in draft and Wolves will be out of luck
Sucks to be them

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Not upset with wins or losses. Have said many times before this team has limited ways to get better and one of them is getting a high draft pick. Tough way to advance but it is one piece of the puzzle in a rebuild. My heart wants them to win 68 games every year but somehow they just can't seem to do that:). So at the start of the year we hope for the best - why I said last night there is always hope and used Saginaw as an example but remember they had some tough years before that and got the higher draft picks.

What I don't like is the little things that can make a difference in a game - Boka stepping out as the first line center is not going to get it done - Frasca would have been my first choice. These in game spur of the moment decisions can make or break a team - win/or loss so to speak. Others will defend that decision but that is not the role Boka is suited for. He has a high value to this team but not as a first line scoring center. Ya he had 3 goals in 3 games but lets expand the sample size a bit and then tell me that is his role. We all talk about development but argue when it is suggested we put a younger player in a role they are not ready for. With Frasca stepping up there would the outcome change - a strong likely not but he would hopefully learn from that and get better. Do really thinking Boka is going to get better offensively as he heads toward his OA year if he plays those roles?

I'm all about letting the kids play in key roles now, struggle a bit and yes we will get the high draft pick. If the management wants to talk about this is like 2006 then start playing your rookies like you did in 2006! Development is not about sitting on the bench watching Boka struggle as an offensive player.

Sorry got a little long winded.

agreed.
Boka should NOT be on that line.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Rossi is an 01
Paquette, you probably meant Perraul
I dont see any of them miles ahead of Cuylle and Foudy,and nobody has 2 of them.
I predict the line of Foudy,Cuylle and McDonald will be the best line in the OHL the year after next and they all will be only 18.
As for Medina not going to happen, a 5'10" goalie wont cut it.
If a 5'10" goalie won't cut it, why did they waste a high draft pick on him? There must have been taller goalies available at the time. Poor drafting? Maybe they didn't know how tall he was.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

michael freeman

Dec 6, 2018
Agree

Upgrades needed in goal next year and drafting a top D man or 2 is a must
Corcoran is our top D man
Henault has been real good this year
Next year we need 1 or 2 top Dmen to fill 3 or 4 spot
Ladd and Staois 5/6

Hope coaching is upgraded next season to help develop these kids
Took team 3/4 months to solidify lines ???

Look at what Hunter has done behind the bench every year
Plus he has 3 high end 16 year olds next year to start season

Stranges
Panwar
Evangelista

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Out of all the players on the team Boka is probably last guy i put on kid line. Especially if you feel he is hot. I’d keep him on the line with the guys he is playing well with.

So HL would always say Medina wasn’t a bad pick, they just didn’t know they would grab import goalie at the time. Now he is saying Medina to short. If that is the case it was a horrible wasted pick. But i do believe 16 yr olds will grow. Would he be to short if he grew to 6 feet???

I’m not going to get started on the d. It was even bad during our 4 game win streak.

More i see Flint go the more i wish Wellwood was given a chance to coach this team.

Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
If a 5'10" goalie won't cut it, why did they waste a high draft pick on him? There must have been taller goalies available at the time. Poor drafting? Maybe they didn't know how tall he was.

That's my prediction re Medina, and its very unlikely you will see in the future starting goalies in the NHL 5'10
and under.
OHL perhaps,with an extra 3rd pick and no plans re Euro draft last year at the time I am ok drafting him in the third at the draft,can always trade his rights if he wants to play in the OHL.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
That's my prediction re Medina, and its very unlikely you will see in the future starting goalies in the NHL 5'10
and under.
OHL perhaps,with an extra 3rd pick and no plans re Euro draft last year at the time I am ok drafting him in the third at the draft,can always trade his rights if he wants to play in the OHL.

I hope they do trade him.
Get something for him at least, instead of a wasted pick

member 71782

Last night was what it was, a better team with more skill out playing and beating a lesser team.

Windsor potentially down to 9 forwards on Thursday? Should have been addressed these last few weeks if they aren't willing to bring up their prospects.

Medina not big enough?

Well if that's an issue now but it wasn't at the draft that makes no sense unless it's just sour grapes over the kid not showing. If he's too small now and it affects Windsor's position on him then he was too small then and a bad pick and it doesn't matter how many picks you have a bad pick is still a bad pick and one that, if that's is Windsor's position was wasted. Maybe another player picked after him could have been in Windsor's line up had they not selected Medina.

Lots of problems from Rychel making poor decisions to coaching making poor decisions to players not performing. Until you correct issues at the top the ones on the ice won't be fixed.

Boka playing top line/PP etc has been an issue all year and its affecting the development of some of the kids.

Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Agree

Upgrades needed in goal next year and drafting a top D man or 2 is a must
Corcoran is our top D man
Henault has been real good this year
Next year we need 1 or 2 top Dmen to fill 3 or 4 spot
Ladd and Staois 5/6

Hope coaching is upgraded next season to help develop these kids
Took team 3/4 months to solidify lines ???

Look at what Hunter has done behind the bench every year
Plus he has 3 high end 16 year olds next year to start season

Stranges
Panwar
Evangelista

Lets talk about the defense
Here are the plus minus records for D for the 1st 14 games of the season when the Spits were 5-8-0-1 to start the year and also the next 29 games where the Spits are 15-14-2-0
And keep in mind Dipietro played in 9 of the 1st 14 and in 12 of the last 29.
1st 14 games
Ladd-3
Henault-3
Stevenson-2
Corcoran-8
Allen-2
Staios-3
Starikov-4

Next 29 games to current

Ladd- +18
Henault-+10
Allen-+10
Stevenson-+1
Staios- -4
Corcoran- -9
Starikov- -7

When one considers double number of games played they all have improved especially Ladd,Henault and Allen.
With Corcoran being entrusted with being #1 guy I can live with his numbers especially considering he leads team in points from the back end.
Work to be done for sure,Starikov the biggest disappointment unfortunately thought he elevate his game to be top 2/3 instead of 6/7
There will be 3 new D next year imo
plenty of time to discuss down the road.

member 71782

Lets talk about the defense
Here are the plus minus records for D for the 1st 14 games of the season when the Spits were 5-8-0-1 to start the year and also the next 29 games where the Spits are 15-14-2-0
And keep in mind Dipietro played in 9 of the 1st 14 and in 12 of the last 29.
1st 14 games
Ladd-3
Henault-3
Stevenson-2
Corcoran-8
Allen-2
Staios-3
Starikov-4

Next 29 games to current

Ladd- +18
Henault-+10
Allen-+10
Stevenson-+1
Staios- -4
Corcoran- -9
Starikov- -7

When one considers double number of games played they all have improved especially Ladd,Henault and Allen.
With Corcoran being entrusted with being #1 guy I can live with his numbers especially considering he leads team in points from the back end.
Work to be done for sure,Starikov the biggest disappointment unfortunately thought he elevate his game to be top 2/3 instead of 6/7
There will be 3 new D next year imo
plenty of time to discuss down the road.

With Starikov gone and Allen graduating if they bring in 3 D who else goes and what roles do you see the rest having along with the new D you expect in the line up?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With Starikov gone and Allen graduating if they bring in 3 D who else goes and what roles do you see the rest having along with the new D you expect in the line up?

Too early to prognosticate, that being said,Stevenson not back would bring things down to 4.
Myself I would go with Robinson,do our best to sign Spencer Evans,and 1 of the 2 1st round picks Entry or Euro,if Evans doesn't look he is going to sign,either make both 1st round D selections or bring in an oa for next season.
Like I said it's a process.

member 71782

Too early to prognosticate, that being said,Stevenson not back would bring things down to 4.
Myself I would go with Robinson,do our best to sign Spencer Evans,and 1 of the 2 1st round picks Entry or Euro,if Evans doesn't look he is going to sign,either make both 1st round D selections or bring in an oa for next season.
Like I said it's a process.

I figure by the deadline we need at least four to finish the year with seven D.

I agree Stevenson goes and Corcoran likely dealt at the deadline being his fourth year.

That leaves Staois, Henault and Ladd, all 01s and none at this point looking like true top pairing D.

Bring in Robinson, hopefully Evans then they need two from the draft.

Would still look for a late birthday 02 forward in the import draft. I would also think their first in the draft needs to be a high end 03 forward. They have still have holes to fill up front going forward next year and the year after.

Their first four picks need to be a forward, two D and a back up goalie willing to report.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Last night was what it was, a better team with more skill out playing and beating a lesser team.

Windsor potentially down to 9 forwards on Thursday? Should have been addressed these last few weeks if they aren't willing to bring up their prospects.

Medina not big enough?

Well if that's an issue now but it wasn't at the draft that makes no sense unless it's just sour grapes over the kid not showing. If he's too small now and it affects Windsor's position on him then he was too small then and a bad pick and it doesn't matter how many picks you have a bad pick is still a bad pick and one that, if that's is Windsor's position was wasted. Maybe another player picked after him could have been in Windsor's line up had they not selected Medina.

Lots of problems from Rychel making poor decisions to coaching making poor decisions to players not performing. Until you correct issues at the top the ones on the ice won't be fixed.

Boka playing top line/PP etc has been an issue all year and its affecting the development of some of the kids.

Lots of issues u have stated r correct

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I figure by the deadline we need at least four to finish the year with seven D.

I agree Stevenson goes and Corcoran likely dealt at the deadline being his fourth year.

That leaves Staois, Henault and Ladd, all 01s and none at this point looking like true top pairing D.

Bring in Robinson, hopefully Evans then they need two from the draft.

Would still look for a late birthday 02 forward in the import draft. I would also think their first in the draft needs to be a high end 03 forward. They have still have holes to fill up front going forward next year and the year after.

Their first four picks need to be a forward, two D and a back up goalie willing to report.
I see Ladd as a top D in the future if he can just bulk up a bit.
Agree we need high end productive forwards in the 03 group. You can always trade for a 5-6 D.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

In regards to 1 that's a loaded question. For instance 4 seasons from now the only ones eligible would be the guys they drafted this year. We don't know how they will draft in 19/20/21. One thing is that they aren't dealing with a full draft cupboard which hurts flexibility.

2. The team hasn't been successful is the biggest reason. Hard to sell the product when there isn't much excitement. For instance the Spits have 12 home games left this year and they really can't rocket up the standings. This Thurs they face Erie, 2 teams that rebuilding. Can't sell that type of game in the middle of January.

3. All encompassing Rychel/scouts/coaching/players

4. Will he? I don't see why he would. Flying charters, staying in top of the line hotels whether you're a coach or an assistant has to be more appealing than riding coach 6 hours or so to Sudbury etc..

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Selling this team to fans is definitely possible if you look for the positive options. You don't need, nor should you need, a veteran star-filled roster to say "this team is exciting so come out and watch!" What stops anyone from marketing this team to be similar to the Hall/Henrique era by using Cuylle/Foudy? You don't need exact same stats or vitals to be able to come up with something similar.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Just a note Starikov 3 assists in his first 3 games in Drs Moines. Plays on their power play. What a novel idea for someone who does have a wicked shot. Corcoran worst plus/minus D Yet all the time he's had on the power play numbers should be much better. He is in his 3rd season. Harry Young and Logan Stanley were not gems in their second seasons yet the core of our D are only in year 2. Ladd will develope Staios obviously frustrated this season. Huhhh lots of players this year like that. Larionov, Morgan,Starikov, Kutch., McDougall. See the same faces with Douglas and Staios. Yeah it couldn't be the coach.

Reactions: OHLTG

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Selling this team to fans is definitely possible if you look for the positive options. You don't need, nor should you need, a veteran star-filled roster to say "this team is exciting so come out and watch!" What stops anyone from marketing this team to be similar to the Hall/Henrique era by using Cuylle/Foudy? You don't need exact same stats or vitals to be able to come up with something similar.

good luck. haha
u should join the PR team for the spitfires.
Marketing has been lousy.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I've said for a while now that the PP is far too rigit and systematic. You can almost see the players trying to go through the plays in their head while skating around. Starikov should have been at the point firing a few times each PP. His shot is a cannon. I truly hope he gets a chance in Des Moines and a team takes a chance on him. So much potential!

Reactions: Cherrydon

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I've said for a while now that the PP is far too rigit and systematic. You can almost see the players trying to go through the plays in their head while skating around. Starikov should have been at the point firing a few times each PP. His shot is a cannon. I truly hope he gets a chance in Des Moines and a team takes a chance on him. So much potential!

maybe it was a coach problem. haha

Reactions: Cherrydon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad