GDT: WIND ON A LEAF

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
So basically a PK with 5 minutes left in the 2nd period won us the game. Somehow we missed 2 breakaways alone on this PK but it could have easily been the Leafs tied or winning after that futility. Edmundson fights Clifford and we go into the 3rd still up 4-3. The Canes perform some 3rd period magic with an emergency goalie and win.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
my favorite memories of being a Carolina Hurricanes fan so far

3) refreshing the Most Liked Posters page on this silly website a couple years ago and seeing all the avatars change to B U F F A L O S A B E R S S U C K and being one of the S's.

2) spilling my beer from jumping up and down while listening to Chuck Kaiton's radio call of the last seconds of game 7 in 2006, when I probably should have been closing down the cash drawer for the Colony movie theatre.

1) being in Scotiabank Arena on 2/22/20 to see whatever it was that happened tonight with a couple buddies I met from this silly website.

I spent the entire 3rd period in a state of disbelief. when the game was over I just started walking out of the arena after saying bye to gin antonic and cardiac jerks. kept walking and before I knew it, I was halfway home. I ended up walking all the way home, and my disabled ass is going to feel it tomorrow, believe that.

but what a night. every time the Leafs managed to get across the red line in the 3rd period (which wasn't often), I said aloud "6-4" anticipating another perfectly reasonable goal given that the freaking goaltender is a zamboni driver for not even the Maple Leafs. yeah the Canes played heroically, but let's not undersell how mindblowingly bad the Leafs played in the 2nd half of that game. I swear Tavares rifled one past a completely overmatched Ayres (that was not a "nobody stops that" goal at all IMO, I slumped into my chair and started envisioning a 13-6 game when I saw that one), then Engvall potted a rebound that was probably a "nobody below the OHL stops that" kind of goal if you ask me, and all of a sudden the Leafs seemed to just check out of the game?

doesn't seem out of the realm of possibilities that there was this weird psychological element to it in the 3rd period. the easiest zone exits the Canes have had in a damn month, just over and over feathering it out of the defensive zone and then keeping it in the Leafs end for another 45 seconds. it was like I was watching a movie. they should have put the puck on net from the red line. ice the puck, who cares?!?! anyways it's not like I'm mad about it, it's just totally baffling how they played it.

and what an atmosphere, my god. lusty booing after goals 5 and 6, and utter despondence at the final horn. I got delicious footage of people walking up the stairs while the Canes circled Ayres at the end. I think us 26ers actually briefly met with Justin Williams' dad in the concourse after the game and got a handshake. friends and family of Foegele, McGinn.

about halfway on my walk home, I was approaching a group of 4 Leafs fans shuffling up Yonge St. two of them stopped to lean against a shop window or something and I walked past. seeing me limping up the street past his friends, one of the faster Leaf fans said out loud down the street to them, "see even this crippled dude is walking way faster than you guys," which ehhhh not great but I'll not get into that right now, but then he saw my Canes hat and said "ah, FOCK." so I asked him incredulously, "what just happened?" he replied "you won, bud".

never gonna forget tonight, that's for sure. FOR THE RECORD, before the game, we three 26ers talked about emergency goalies. and we toasted "to vengeance." make of that what you will.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
ok sorry two more things.

1) I admit it I put on the Steve Dangle rant from the game when I got home. when he started shrieking, I got so giddy I almost passed out.

2) lol David Ayres beat Frederik Andersen in an NHL game. David Ayres beat Frederik Andersen in an NHL game.
David Ayres beat Frederik Andersen in an NHL game! goalie who wouldn't sign with Carolina loses to Carolina and a goaltender on his own team's payroll.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Been awhile since I’ve popped in a GDT but I haven’t missed a game boys. f***ing unreal win tonight. This could be the turning point of the season where they go on a heater.

Winning with a 42 year old third string goalie in net is one of the most gutsy things you can do as a team. Hell of an effort from top to bottom on the roster.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
We're going to leave this with a 12-5 loss and this guy will have a 0.00 save %

Simply put the league needs to fix the emergency goalie rule. If a team can't provide at least an NCAA level goalie then what the hell are they even doing?

You know, I've seen you say this a couple times that Jr. B isn't on the NCAA level, but it's actually higher than division 3. It's like the AHL to the Juniors (Jr. A).

Reactions: Tryamw and zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks Dave!!
I live in Leafs Country!!
Toronto is the Hockey Mecca of the NHL!!
Dave, you won me a Tooney Bet ($2) last night!! ;)
Can't wait for Dave Ayres Day in Raleigh North Carolina!!

Reactions: Tryamw and vorbis

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
my favorite memories of being a Carolina Hurricanes fan so far

3) refreshing the Most Liked Posters page on this silly website a couple years ago and seeing all the avatars change to B U F F A L O S A B E R S S U C K and being one of the S's.

2) spilling my beer from jumping up and down while listening to Chuck Kaiton's radio call of the last seconds of game 7 in 2006, when I probably should have been closing down the cash drawer for the Colony movie theatre.

1) being in Scotiabank Arena on 2/22/20 to see whatever it was that happened tonight with a couple buddies I met from this silly website.

I spent the entire 3rd period in a state of disbelief. when the game was over I just started walking out of the arena after saying bye to gin antonic and cardiac jerks. kept walking and before I knew it, I was halfway home. I ended up walking all the way home, and my disabled ass is going to feel it tomorrow, believe that.

but what a night. every time the Leafs managed to get across the red line in the 3rd period (which wasn't often), I said aloud "6-4" anticipating another perfectly reasonable goal given that the freaking goaltender is a zamboni driver for not even the Maple Leafs. yeah the Canes played heroically, but let's not undersell how mindblowingly bad the Leafs played in the 2nd half of that game. I swear Tavares rifled one past a completely overmatched Ayres (that was not a "nobody stops that" goal at all IMO, I slumped into my chair and started envisioning a 13-6 game when I saw that one), then Engvall potted a rebound that was probably a "nobody below the OHL stops that" kind of goal if you ask me, and all of a sudden the Leafs seemed to just check out of the game?

doesn't seem out of the realm of possibilities that there was this weird psychological element to it in the 3rd period. the easiest zone exits the Canes have had in a damn month, just over and over feathering it out of the defensive zone and then keeping it in the Leafs end for another 45 seconds. it was like I was watching a movie. they should have put the puck on net from the red line. ice the puck, who cares?!?! anyways it's not like I'm mad about it, it's just totally baffling how they played it.

and what an atmosphere, my god. lusty booing after goals 5 and 6, and utter despondence at the final horn. I got delicious footage of people walking up the stairs while the Canes circled Ayres at the end. I think us 26ers actually briefly met with Justin Williams' dad in the concourse after the game and got a handshake. friends and family of Foegele, McGinn.

about halfway on my walk home, I was approaching a group of 4 Leafs fans shuffling up Yonge St. two of them stopped to lean against a shop window or something and I walked past. seeing me limping up the street past his friends, one of the faster Leaf fans said out loud down the street to them, "see even this crippled dude is walking way faster than you guys," which ehhhh not great but I'll not get into that right now, but then he saw my Canes hat and said "ah, FOCK." so I asked him incredulously, "what just happened?" he replied "you won, bud".

never gonna forget tonight, that's for sure. FOR THE RECORD, before the game, we three 26ers talked about emergency goalies. and we toasted "to vengeance." make of that what you will.

Great Story Vorbis!!
What's your opinion of the Leafs state of affairs?
That was pretty cool when the leafs Fans gave Dave Ayres a standing O as the 1st Star!
Cardiac Jerks from Carolina HFBoards was there? An epic night in Leafs country you'll never forget!

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Bizarro Night in Toronto.
Dave Ayres practises with the Leafs.
Dave knows all the Leafs players and I'm sure is a Leafs Fan. ;)

Reactions: Tryamw

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
What a great game to watch! Such a treat. Good for the players to play the 3rd prd like that.

But I already saw a thread that said Pesce out long term and we lost both of our goalies so.... Jeez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad