Speculation: Win or Lose against Carolina?

Win and Advance? Or Lose for Laf?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Wait wait...aren’t we in the lottery no matter what with the Car 1st pick????

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Wait wait...aren’t we in the lottery no matter what with the Car 1st pick????
No

The Rangers are only in if the lose to Carolina, or the season gets cancelled outright. If the Rangers win, that's the end of the conversation for 1st OV

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
What happens with the Carolina pick when we beat them?
If Carolina loses to the Rangers and win the 1st pick, they keep it because they condition of the trade was the Rangers get the lowest of their two picks.

If Carolina loses to the Rangers and doesn't win the 1st pick, it depends on what happens with Toronto. If Toronto loses in the play-in round as well, the Rangers get the lowest pick. If Toronto wins their match up, the Rangers would get their pick because it's a lower pick than Carolinas.

The pick could range from #11 to #31 depending on how Carolina and Toronto does

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
If Carolina loses to the Rangers and win the 1st pick, they keep it because they condition of the trade was the Rangers get the lowest of their two picks.

If Carolina loses to the Rangers and doesn't win the 1st pick, it depends on what happens with Toronto. If Toronto loses in the play-in round as well, the Rangers get the lowest pick. If Toronto wins their match up, the Rangers would get their pick because it's a lower pick than Carolinas.

The pick could range from #11 to #31 depending on how Carolina and Toronto does
Thanks!

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
What happens with the Carolina pick when we beat them?
It goes into the drawing for 1st overall.

But if Carolina wins first overall, that necessarily means Toronto's pick has fallen out of the top ten (as 2-8 are set, and their winning percentage is such that they mathematically cannot slot 9 or 10 even if they lose their play-in), therefore remains Carolina's property, and they send us that pick (i.e. the Leaf's) instead of their own, since per the terms of the trade we receive the lower of the two picks they own.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
My question is, if we lose and do not get 1st overall, where are we picking?

If we get 15th OA, I'd prefer we win the playin round to get in the POs as that would be more beneficial to the younger guys on the team than who we can pick at 15

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

If we get 15th OA, I'd prefer we win the playin round to get in the POs as that would be more beneficial to the younger guys on the team than who we can pick at 15
If the Rangers win the play-in round but lose in the first round of the playoffs their pick would be somewhere between 16-21

The only way they get a pick in the 11-15 range at that point would be Toronto also losing in the play-in round

If the Rangers lose, depending on who else loses, they could pick anywhere between 9 and I think 14

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

It depends on what other teams lose in the play-in and who wins the 1st overall.

If Carolina beats us, the best case scenario for our pick (assuming we don't win the lottery) is for all of Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Nashville and Vancouver to lose and then the loser of the Flames/Jets series wins the lottery. That would give us the 9th overall pick. If any other team (other than us) wins the lottery in this scenario, we'd get the 10th pick.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

deangelo's podcast put a poll asking if people would rather win the cup for 1st overall pick....about 1/3 have picked the pick so far

of course the problem is that you aren't looking at an either/or situation where you can win the cup or get the #1 pick and have to choose....you are looking at 12.5% chance of getting the top pick vs a less than 1% chance of winning the cup cause we aren't good enough and don't have the depth to compete with the top teams yet.

Reactions: egelband

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
deangelo's podcast put a poll asking if people would rather win the cup for 1st overall pick....about 1/3 have picked the pick so far

of course the problem is that you aren't looking at an either/or situation where you can win the cup or get the #1 pick and have to choose....you are looking at 12.5% chance of getting the top pick vs a less than 1% chance of winning the cup cause we aren't good enough and don't have the depth to compete with the top teams yet.
I agree

Also side note but should Tony even be commenting on this stuff? Feels weird to see a player talking about it

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I agree

Also side note but should Tony even be commenting on this stuff? Feels weird to see a player talking about it

i see zero problem with it other than you already know what the player is going to say. the players will always pick winning, they don't care who the team is gonna draft or have five years from now when they might not still be here. plus fans can hope for the pick and still root for them to win and it doesn't matter cause we have no control over anything...

Reactions: egelband

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
The poll makes it seem like a choice between winning the play in or #1. The much bigger odds are winning the play in or getting a mid round and a worse pick.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Will never root for one of my favorite teams to lose. Fate will determine where they end up.
Exactly. I've never understood why this is so hard.

You root for the GM and coach to make the most intelligent, long-range strategic moves given the context of the team's relative quality... but once the whistle blows, you always root for the players to win.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
This is that rare time of a rebuild where everything is win-win

Toronto had something similar in Matthews first year, they saw improvement in play and made the playoffs. They pushed Washington to a competitive series....all that was just gravy, they would have been equally ok with just missing the playoffs after such an exciting year

I feel that way about this year...Panarin and Zib going off, young studs like Igor and Fox coming through, playing exciting hockey....hell if we beat Carolina great, if we don't, then we get a lottery pick, also great

I'm loving this time as a Rangers fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad