Speculation: Win or Lose against Carolina?

Win and Advance? Or Lose for Laf?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
How can we not do both again? I thought each team that loses the play in has a 12.5% chance? We have Carolinas pick, so no matter what we have the first of the team that loses our play in round, no?

we don’t have carolina’s pick. The canes have their own pick and Toronto’s pick and we get the lower of the 2. There is no way for the canes pick to be #1 and Toronto’s pick to be top 10 protected

Reactions: haveandare

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
As fans, we're in a win-win scenario. The Rangers are playing with house money.

We beat Carolina, we get more playoff hockey. Maybe a 1st round win, maybe a Cup. Who knows? It'll be fun to watch our team play meaningful games.

We lose, the consolation prize is a 12.5% chance at 1st overall.

Crazier things have happened. Lets just enjoy the ride.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I wonder if we'll ever get to the point where some fans aren't hoping the team loses because....just one more great player, or whatever.

This would be the only year for me ... the LD needs another year ...... the F depth will be much better in a year too

Reactions: NYRangers16

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
we don’t have carolina’s pick. The canes have their own pick and Toronto’s pick and we get the lower of the 2. There is no way for the canes pick to be #1 and Toronto’s pick to be top 10 protected
Thanks, that explains it. I forgot we got a condition on that

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

We beat Carolina, we get more playoff hockey. Maybe a 1st round win, maybe a Cup. Who knows? It'll be fun to watch our team play meaningful games.

That's how I feel. I won't be upset with any scenario that takes place.

This is just fan speak and my own thoughts but I also want Lundqvist in net for the playoffs because this isn't the typical playoffs and probably his last ride and shot at a Cup with the Rangers. I haven't fully experienced a championship for any of my teams (I was 1 when the Rangers won in 94 and haven't seen a Mets or Jets title) so I always envisioned a Cup win with a packed house, possibly being at the clincher, going to the parade after, etc. None of those are possible so winning the Cup this year as the first title I've taken in would be weird and almost bittersweet in a lot of ways. But I want a Cup for Henrik more than anything so if we're going to wind up winning this thing, I want it to be with the man who deserves to get it in net.

And if we lose, who cares it's a makeshift tournament in the middle of a pandemic that fans will probably put an asterisk on anyway. If we win, it's legitimate. If we lose, it was always a sham :laugh:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Won't feel bad if they lose but I'm not gonna actively root for the team to lose. Seems like a waste of my time to do that.

That's always been my stance.
Yep.

Will always root for the Rangers to win, but won't feel bad when they lose should it provide a positive outcome/better chance at a positive outcome than winning would provide.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Pretty even. There's a 12.5% chance that the entire league becomes extremely sick and we're somehow completely healthy.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013

To me, that's a loser's attitude. It's like the saying "if you're not in first you're in last", except being in last is better since you're getting a better pick. The season is a failure if you don't win the Cup. So if you're going to lose, give yourself a shot at the #1 pick. The Rangers aren't going to win the Cup anyway. And even if they do win the Cup, it'll be tainted.

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
Lets win - seems a unique opportunity to cash in some chips.

Who knows who is going to gel and who isn't.

Goalies are going to be rusty - they have been home not facing pucks.

Elite scorers are going to rip them apart and we have two of them.

DonkeyHotay

Jun 30, 2020
So I knew this girl in high school who was originally from Raleigh and a huge Canes fan and she's in jail for selling heroin now so I just want this series to happen so I can think about what she'd feel about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->