Speculation: Win or Lose against Carolina?

Win and Advance? Or Lose for Laf?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If the Rangers win the play-in round but lose in the first round of the playoffs their pick would be somewhere between 16-21

The only way they get a pick in the 11-15 range at that point would be Toronto also losing in the play-in round

If the Rangers lose, depending on who else loses, they could pick anywhere between 9 and I think 14
Think I'd still prefer to win the playin round

Reactions: egelband

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I doubt this turns into a Star Trek II type needs of the franchise/organization/fanbase outweigh the needs of the roster/Quinn.

I feel they have a 55/45 shot of winning.

Therefore my attitude is I expect them to win and if they do cool I'l be fine if two of Lundell/Gunler/Holloway end up being the picks.

If not, hey 12.5% chance. Take it as it comes as Jim Morrison would say.

Reactions: egelband

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Can someone explain why we have such a good chance if we lose but the Leafs and Canes don't? Yesterday from reading that thread that's what it sounded like.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Can someone explain why we have such a good chance if we lose but the Leafs and Canes don't? Yesterday from reading that thread that's what it sounded like.
Every play-in loser has an equal chance at 1OA. 12.5%. No more, no less. Even if the season is cancelled. 12.5% chance.

If anyone else is telling your otherwise, I want what they're smoking.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

they were probably referring to the scenario in which we could advance and still get a top pick because it would have required both toronto and carolina to jump into the top 3

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
What IS going around that might have people confused is folks like MoneyPuck/etc. putting out % chance of winning 1OA is the 12.5% chance multiplied with the % chance they will lose to the play-in round, which is completely irresponsible and misleading.

Reactions: Leetch3

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This is that rare time of a rebuild where everything is win-win

Toronto had something similar in Matthews first year, they saw improvement in play and made the playoffs. They pushed Washington to a competitive series....all that was just gravy, they would have been equally ok with just missing the playoffs after such an exciting year

I feel that way about this year...Panarin and Zib going off, young studs like Igor and Fox coming through, playing exciting hockey....hell if we beat Carolina great, if we don't, then we get a lottery pick, also great

I'm loving this time as a Rangers fan
At the risk of being repetitive...
upload_2020-6-28_12-23-32.jpeg

Reactions: bl02

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
All fans want their teams to win... But I would be pissed if we lost in the cup finals... Or lost in the ecf... Or lost in the qf.. etc

Losing in the play in is step 1 in a 2 step process to "winning".

Or

Winning the play in is just step 1 in a brutal arduous highly u likely chain of events needed to make us happy

I'd prefer us to lose.

Adding a guy like lafreniere to a team with Mika, panarin, shesterkin, and kakko should all but guarantee us a decade of fun and competitive hockey.

This will be the last year I root for us to lose.

Lafreniere playing with panarin...oh hell yeah.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Just answer this question.What is more likely ?

Winning the cup so that is 5 rounds or winning a 1 in 8 chance at the first overall pick ?

Reactions: mschmidt64

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We aren’t going to see another Rangers game until what 2021 if we’re lucky? I’m going to savor every moment of this ride. Hopefully we play as many games as possible

I’m not rooting for a quick loss after everything that’s gone on so I have a 12.5 percent chance at a top overall pick. That maybe maybe leads to a Stanley Cup somewhere down the line MAYBE

you have In their prime Panarin Kreider Mika. A ridiculous right side Defense and a star 24 year old goalie. I can count on one finger how many times I’ve seen that kind of legit talent on this team at once.

Reactions: mschmidt64

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I wonder if we'll ever get to the point where some fans aren't hoping the team loses because....just one more great player, or whatever.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I wonder if we'll ever get to the point where some fans aren't hoping the team loses because....just one more great player, or whatever.

that will happen when the team is good enough to actually compete...its coming, we aren't there yet.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

We are at that point now if we win the lottery or manage to trade up for another star.

Don’t be so dramatic. Let’s not pretend we have a guaranteed young star on the level of Crosby or McDavid. The Rangers do need more future forward star power given that Lias probably busted and we aren’t sure what we have yet in Chytil and Kravtsov.

Adding Lafrieniere, Stutzle, or even Holtz or Rossi goes a long way towards insulating us, if they pan out. Which is a relatively good bet.

Even if we can’t get a star, we really need another future top-sixer like Lundell.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
that will happen when the team is good enough to actually compete...its coming, we aren't there yet.

Yeah, it’s like, have some damn patience. I wonder if we will ever get to the point that Ranger fans aren’t clamoring to sell the future to win a whole fricking playoff round.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Just a quick FYI: I see some people bring up our 4-0 record this season against the Hurricanes but the Capitals also were 4-0 in the regular season last year and lost to the Hurricanes in 7 games anyway

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
All fans want their teams to win... But I would be pissed if we lost in the cup finals... Or lost in the ecf... Or lost in the qf.. etc

Losing in the play in is step 1 in a 2 step process to "winning".

Or

Winning the play in is just step 1 in a brutal arduous highly u likely chain of events needed to make us happy

I'd prefer us to lose.

Adding a guy like lafreniere to a team with Mika, panarin, shesterkin, and kakko should all but guarantee us a decade of fun and competitive hockey.

This will be the last year I root for us to lose.

Lafreniere playing with panarin...oh hell yeah.

You don't try to win one Stanley Cup, you try to win multiple in a short window. Even right now the Rangers have a core set up that can make us extremely competitive for multiple years. Adding Laf makes that core even better. The fact is that the chances we win the Cup are extremely small, and it's going to be "tainted". I'd rather at least have a chance at the really good pick than the less of a chance that we win a Cup, and that Cup would be tainted anyway.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
How can we not do both again? I thought each team that loses the play in has a 12.5% chance? We have Carolinas pick, so no matter what we have the first of the team that loses our play in round, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad