Tennis: Wimbledon 2021

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix's problems seem chronic by this point. So much talent, but never jelling enough to transform into the player he should be.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well, at least the pay out in eventual vcash will be nice.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Disappointing to lose today but first QF at a major. Something positive :laugh:
That's true. He is still only 20 years old. I should keep that in mind. Seems like he has been around forever sometimes.

Reactions: Tuggy

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
This is the first slam where as a FAA fan I think there are only positives to take away. When he got destroyed by Thiem in the USO 4R last year and lost to Karatsev in this year's AO 4R after being up 2 sets, there were obvious mental red flags there. He folded under the pressure of the occasion. This time he came with a great strategy (attack Matteo's bad backhand) but Matteo is just a better and more experience player at this stage in their careers. This was purely a "tennis ability" loss, primarily because FAA's 1st serve is inconsistent and his forehand has been wild all season long. He should come away knowing exactly what he needs to work on to reach the next step.

He showed great mental fortitude in that Zverev match and the Cilic final 3 weeks ago was the best approach and resolve he's shown in a final yet. It's closer than you may think, then once he wins one, I think the floodgates are gonna open and you're gonna see him winning 250 and 500 titles at near Rublev-like rates.

Also fun note, when Berrettini was a month away from turning 21, he was ranked #270 in the world lol. Tons of time for FAA to develop still.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Maybe it happened more recently than I recall, but when was the last time Fed got bageled at a major? Has it ever happened at Wimbledon? :amazed:

Edit: BBC says first time at Wimbledon and first time in all competitions since the final vs Nadal at the French in 2008. Crazy.

Yeah I was gonna say it probably happened in that one destruction at the French just before Nadal upended Fed at Wimbledon.

I’m kinda hoping Djojovic wins this to set up the theater of him going for the Slam in NY. Has anyone else even won the first three since Laver? I know a lot of times the Aussie Open was ignored till the ‘90’s but still

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Barty over Kerber in straight sets in the first semifinal. Good match. And Barty played very well, really going for her shots.

Reactions: Hadoop

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Didn't see the match. Not surprised Pliskova won so much as surprised she won after losing the first sheet. Like in life, every now and then the giraffe outsmarts the lion.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Thinking Berrettini in 5 and Djokovic in 4 tomorrow.

Berrettini v Hurkacz feels like a complete toss up though. They both have big serves and monster forehands. Both struggle with the backhand but slice well (Berrettini better) and both have strong net/volley games (Hurkacz better). They both move better than they should for their height as well and therefore have decent return ability and aren't mere servebots. I think that's gonna be the match of the tournament.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole's great defensive game seems almost designed to counteract a player with Shapo's arsenal. Denis will have to acquire great patience if he hopes to be competitive. Ñole in four.

I think Berrettini is ripe to be upset. Hurkacz in four.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Matteo certainly earned that set, very much in the ascendancy at the moment.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Don't mind either Barty or Pliskova winning on Saturday as I enjoy watching both players - Ash for the elegance in her game and Karolina for the effortless power in her strokes.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That monster serve will pose a major challenge to Ñole. Assuming he wins. But, wow, that was some weapon today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad