Tennis: Wimbledon 2021

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
https://www.wimbledon.com/

Qualifying underway today!

We had no Wimbledon last year because of Covid, so it's been a couple years.

Djokovic should enter as a massive favorite. At this point, I don't really see any other winner (barring injury).

Women's side, pick a name out of a hat. No clear favorite IMO. Halep won in 2019. Serena still chasing history and she'll be a threat but I don't know about winning another major.

Reactions: kihei

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does anyone else have a problem with Nadal pulling out because he knows he won’t win?

I don’t like that. You show up and play your best. Don’t try to pick and choose which slam surfaces suit your game the best. I also think it hurts his long-term reputation compared to someone like Djokovic that he’s admitting he can’t win on grass anymore. Does anyone think Djokovic would ever pull out of a slam due to not liking the surface?

Nadal is a great talent and his career has been excellent, but when you are so sure of your prowess on one surface and inability to win on the others that you skip one of the four most important events of the year, it doesn’t come off well for how you should be perceived, in my opinion.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Does anyone else have a problem with Nadal pulling out because he knows he won’t win?

I don’t like that. You show up and play your best. Don’t try to pick and choose which slam surfaces suit your game the best. I also think it hurts his long-term reputation compared to someone like Djokovic that he’s admitting he can’t win on grass anymore. Does anyone think Djokovic would ever pull out of a slam due to not liking the surface?

Nadal is a great talent and his career has been excellent, but when you are so sure of your prowess on one surface and inability to win on the others that you skip one of the four most important events of the year, it doesn’t come off well for how you should be perceived, in my opinion.
If Rafa did this ten years ago, then maybe I'd have a different reaction. But I think with both Federer, and his decision to quit Roland Garros, and Rafa, and his decision to skip both Wimbledon and the Olympics, we are looking at athletes who have reached the stage of their career where managing the mental and physical resources that they have left takes precedence over showing up for every single fight. From his perspective, Nadal is just being realistic. I certainly have no problem with that at all; in fact, it makes perfectly good sense to me. As far as his reputation, I don't this decision will leave even the tiniest of blemishes. Anything he thinks he can do to prolong his career will be fine with most tennis fans. He certainly has earned the right to call his own shots.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

I was kind of annoyed with Roger but I also understood why he did it. I think that after he lost to Felix it really hit him that this wasn't the fairy tale ending he had hoped for. I think it's the same for Rafa. I also think that the pandemic has screwed with everyone mentally, even multi-millionaires. Both of them have lost opportunities for more majors and they've both had their schedules messed up, just like everyone else, but for them at their ages it's taken away the possibility to add to their totals.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Only two Canadians in the qualifying draw and of course they played each other...

Schnur beat Diez in 3 sets.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The draws are out!

We get Djokovic/Draper R1...Brits will love that :laugh:

Federer is in Medvedev's half.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
As a Djokovic fan…..I don’t hate the draw.
Ha, ha. No kidding.

Nole's draw on paper:

Draper
Anderson
Davidovitch Fokina (dinged)
Monfils
Rublev
Tsisipas (worst surface)
Medvedev

These things never go as planned, but the above actually represents a worse case scenario. I can see Rublev and Medvedev giving Djokovic a match, but not the other guys.

After a tricky opener with Mannarino, Federer has a pretty soft looking draw, though it may not do him much good in his present form. Medvedev opens with Struff, then gets Cilic in the third round who is getting hyped for no discernible reason at all. Surviving early challenges tends to be a good thing at Wimbledon, though.

I'm guessing a Djokovic/Medvedev final. Daniil is the only one who possesses the weapons to challenge Nole on grass. All the other contenders (I'm not counting Roger as a contender) have a backhand weakness or a return of serve weakness on grass (in Berrettini's case, both).

Reactions: Filppula and Tuggy

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden is so bad at tennis nowdays. Historically we where good with players such as Borg, Björkman, Söderling, Pim Pim Johansson, Edberg, Enqvist, Norman, Thomas Johansson, Magnus Gustafsson, Pernfors, Wilander, Järryd etc. So many good players. How we went from that to be one of the worst nations in Tennis is mind boggling. We only have Ymer of decent quality right now. Will he even stand a chance against Tsonga?

Reactions: MaxV and kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sweden is so bad at tennis nowdays. Historically we where good with players such as Borg, Björkman, Söderling, Pim Pim Johansson, Edberg, Enqvist, Norman, Thomas Johansson, Magnus Gustafsson, Pernfors, Wilander, Järryd etc. So many good players. How we went from that to be one of the worst nations in Tennis is mind boggling. We only have Ymer of decent quality right now. Will he even stand a chance against Tsonga?
If I remember correctly, Sweden once had five players in the top ten at the same time.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY

Sweden, USA, England, Australia and Czech Republic all have great tennis history.

Not a single top 10 representative in Men's ranking of those countries currently and only 1 total (de Minaur) in top 25.

Women's ranking do, however, have plenty of representatives from those countries.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
usatsi_14833615.webp

"Wimbledon 2021 men's predictions, picks, preview

Breaking down the top 16 seeds, picking a key upset and predictions for who will win at the All England club in Wimbledon’s return."​

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If you are curiouis about potential upsets, here are the winners and finalists of this year's grass court tournaments leading up to Wimbledon:

Stuttgart

Cilic (W)
FAA (F)

Queen's Club

Berrettini (W)
Norrie (F)

Halle

Humbert (W)
Rublev (F)

Mallorca

Medvedev (W)
Querrey (F)

Eastbourne

De Minaur (W)
Sonego (F)

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Potential upset first-round matches:

Korda/De Minaur
Krygios/Humbert
Murray/Basilashvili
Hurkacz/Musetti

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Rainy day so far on Day 1. So a couple matches start under the roof.

One of which is the next great Brit hope in 19 year Jack Draper against Djokovic. And what do you know...Draper gets a first set break advantage.

I have zero doubt Novak will win this match but at least there is some intrigue :laugh:

Draper does serve out the first set...

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Djokovic's quest for the golden slam begins.

Btw I always see people downplaying Federer's early slams because of weak competition, but isn't this pretty bad? Federer is basically done at this point, Nadal is out, there's not really anyone here to challenge Novak.

Reactions: MsMeow and kihei

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I always see people downplaying Federer's early slams because of weak competition

I disagree with that.

There was PLENTY of top level competition when Fed was breaking out.

Agassi was still playing at a high level. Hewitt was finally focused and was looking like he would be #1 for a long time. Roddick was playing at his high potential there for awhile. Safin was actually focused on tennis there for a short time (he actually interrupted Fed's dominance with an epic 5-setter Aussie semis win). Novak was already a force on tour even in 2006 and certainly in 2007.
There were a number of other very talented players who just couldn't break through.
In retrospect beating those guys might not look like a big deal, but they were all playing great tennis at the time when Fed was not letting anyone win anything. Those players legacies would probably look far more impressive had it not for Fed.

Not to mention, Nadal broke through when Fed still only had 4 GSs. It took until after Fed's 12th for someone to finally put a stop to his fast court dominance.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My goodness, what a surprise that was. Tsitsipas never quite found his game and Tiafoe played smart tennis, never becoming too predictable. I kept waiting for nerves to get to Francis as he is not the greatest of closers, but he never let up his fine play.

Reactions: MaxV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad