Tennis: Wimbledon 2021

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Have you seen the new Rolex commercial?

Downright pathetic from Federer.
You think Federer writes the content of Rolex ads?

Rolex wants to sell watches. They think taking that stance--Roger's greatness transcends numbers-- will help them do so. And they are very likely right. That position will be popular with a ton of people. Like me, for instance. Get used to it.

Last edited:

Fire Treliving

Jan 11, 2014
You think Federer writes the content of Rolex ads?

Rolex wants to sell watches. They think taking that stance--Roger's greatness transcends numbers-- will help them do so. And they are very likely right. That position will be popular with a ton of people. Like me, for instance. Get used to it.

He could have easily vetoed it.

Funny, this wasn't the stance they were taking when Federer was ahead of Novak and Nadal in the GS race. Then it was all about records, winning, and grand slams. Now when it's clear he is going to be left behind by the other two, suddenly numbers and titles don't matter.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Hey, if Nole wins today he is GOÀT in my book, first among equals. But there will be an interesting conversation to be had about what defines greatest and that discussion will go beyond records. Nole is the best but he will still be seen by the general public as being Hank Aaron to Roger's Babe Ruth.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I am not watching but am PVRing. In the radio they said Djokovic was cruising in the first set and I checked the app to see Berretini took it in a breaker. What's going on?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I am not watching but am PVRing. In the radio they said Djokovic was cruising in the first set and I checked the app to see Berretini took it in a breaker. What's going on?
Yeah, just sailing along. And then, whoops. Got unexpectedly broken serving for the set. At least this should get his attention.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole takes the second set sort of with authority, going up 4-love, but then squandering a break on the way to 6-4.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole showing real signs of nerves, but holds for 4-2 in the third.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nursing the ball tentatively, Nole still manages to hold for the third set.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Berrettini did have an outside chance in this final, but he didn't play at his best; nevermind Nole, who played just decently enough to bring it home without much fuss. Some flashes of brilliance from both, but this wasn't a final for the ages, if not for the fact that the GOAT debate is officially over.
Being italian and a big Djokovic fan, this was the perfect final: I'm gutted for Matteo, but I'm pretty sure he'll be back for more in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
All 4 slams in a year has been done before. All 4 slams plus an Olympic gold has never been done. Novak wants to make history.

I just don't find Gold medals being worth much. It would be well in his interest to lock down the U.S. Open and complete the Calendar slam.

If he gets the U.S Open, He will be favourite in Australia and on track to be the first to ever win 5 in a row.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad