Speculation: Willy Nilly XX

Which contract would you sign if you were William Nylander

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I'm not hating on Dubas but there is something he once said that didn't sit well with me. He said that he learned to take the time that he had. In my experience, in business it is better to make the wrong decision early than the right decision late.
Um that definitely depends on what you’re doing. I work in insurance and risk manamgent and we’d definitely take the right decision late route.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
personally i am up to the point where long term deal at 6.5 if not bridge the guy if he isn't willing to sign then he can stay home and watch tennis matches

if he signs bridge and completely out performs the bridge then dump kadri onto someone and pay Willy base + kadri's salary

I agree but Kadri's salary eventually goes into Rielly's massive extension. That's unless Sandin/Dermott turns into a stud.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
That Tavares contract is an interesting story. On one hand, signing a player like that without giving up assets is always great and 11M for a UFA of that stature seems fair. On the other hand, how do you sell guys on taking a discount after a contract like that? If the guy that's been dreaming of winning in his home town ever since he wore Leaf pajamas to bed won't take a discount than who will?

And before someone starts in on me, I don't care if some other team was offering 14M, someone being willing to overpay does not make 11M a discount.

UFA vs RFA, cannot compare the two.

For fun

Tavares did take a discount of $2.5mil/year (20%) to play here. So lets say someone is willing to pay $7mil/year, than his 20% discount would be $5.6mil/year, so technically, anything over that is gravy.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
We need a Woj for the NHL.

All the NHL insiders are garbage. The fact that no one has any inside info on their meeting yesterday is mind-bogglingg. It would never happen in the NBA

Reactions: Jozay

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I agree but Kadri's salary eventually goes into Rielly's massive extension. That's unless Sandin/Dermott turns into a stud.

Dont think Rielly will get a 4.5 million increase IMO

also by that time Brown would have been gone IMO and salary cap increases will help assuming we draft a stud goalie and can trade Freddie 4 years from now. Also, Marleau would be off the cap 2 years from now and Kessel's 1.2 million should be coming off the books right when Rielly needs a new contract.

it should all help us

:yo:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Hopefully this means it gets done asap.

Good news! :)

UFA vs RFA, cannot compare the two.

For fun

Tavares did take a discount of $2.5mil/year (20%) to play here. So lets say someone is willing to pay $7mil/year, than his 20% discount would be $5.6mil/year, so technically, anything over that is gravy.

Like I said, IMHO Tavares did NOT take a discount, see the post you quoted for details.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Well at the moment Dubas is batting 0 for 3 in terms of getting any of the 3 kids signed long-term.

Is unsigned seen as a WIN for Dubas to validate his IQ?

Not getting anything done is generally viewed as failure then deserving of praise. IMO

Personally I hope we aren't in this same position next year with Matthews and Marner also, as the GM tries to prove he is smarter.

I mean, the kids have to want to sign no? Dubas can't force Marner or Matthews to put pen to paper when they've still got a year left on their current contracts. If both of those guys want to bet on themselves there's not a whole lot Dubas can do. A bit disingenuous to say he's 0/3.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Is that a 2nd meet in NY?

Seems like it.

They apparently met before last nights CGY-NYR game, and now are meeting again today. Just a couple days after Dubas gets back from sitting down with Willy in Zurich.

I think Friedman was right that this week will be a teller of how things go.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Well at the moment Dubas is batting 0 for 3 in terms of getting any of the 3 kids signed long-term.

Is unsigned seen as a WIN for Dubas to validate his IQ?

Not getting anything done is generally viewed as failure then deserving of praise. IMO

Personally I hope we aren't in this same position next year with Matthews and Marner also, as the GM tries to prove he is smarter.
He's not batting 0 for 3. If anything he's still in the middle of his first at bat. In my opinion if he signs Nylander for over market value, then he's 0 for 1. They didn't lose their chance to sign Nylander. As Lou says, if you have time, use it.

Nylander asking for 8 million and not being signed isn't a loss on Dubas, it's a loss on Nylander. Probably to the tune of 80k a day... Signing him to that contract is a loss of probably Marner or another piece.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Um that definitely depends on what you’re doing. I work in insurance and risk manamgent and we’d definitely take the right decision late route.
I worked in risk modeling for a number of years. The problem with that thinking is that the other side of the ledger is the impact to sales. Zero risk means you are not playing

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Is that a 2nd meet in NY?
That's what it looks like. IMO that means the Zurich meeting went well with William, and he told his agent to get this done, this would be the first chance they could meet up.
I feel like a bridge deal gets done in the next day or two.

OR
The Zurich meetings didn't go well, and they're meeting to discuss trade possibilities. (Which I think is far less likely.)

Reactions: ACC1224

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Something has to be brewing if Dubas went to Switzerland last week and is meeting with Willy's agent two days straight!!!

Hopefully something gets done this week. Where there is smoke there is fire.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan and glue

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That Tavares contract is an interesting story. On one hand, signing a player like that without giving up assets is always great and 11M for a UFA of that stature seems fair. On the other hand, how do you sell guys on taking a discount after a contract like that? If the guy that's been dreaming of winning in his home town ever since he wore Leaf pajamas to bed won't take a discount than who will?

And before someone starts in on me, I don't care if some other team was offering 14M, someone being willing to overpay does not make 11M a discount.

But it is though.

Tavares could have easily told the Leafs to up their offer because he was getting offered more by at least 2 teams we know of, but because he wanted to play with our core guys, he accepted less from us.

Don’t call it a “discount” if you want, but he 100% left money on the table.

William Nylander for example, isn’t leaving anything on the table. In fact, he wants Dubas to pass over some more.

That’s the difference between the two.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That Dubas and Gross are talking shouldn't be a surprise.
If they weren't talking, that would be surprising.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
But it is though.

Tavares could have easily told the Leafs to up their offer because he was getting offered more by at least 2 teams we know of, but because he wanted to play with our core guys, he accepted less from us.

Don’t call it a “discount” if you want, but he 100% left money on the table.

William Nylander for example, isn’t leaving anything on the table. In fact, he wants Dubas to pass over some more.

That’s the difference between the two.

Sure, that's fair. I wasn't trying to draw a parallel between the two players, it was more of a general observation.

As for Nylander, if he's asking for 8M (not sure how reliable those rumours are) then he's out of line. Hard to believe he won't come off that ask though, my best guess if that's true is that his agent thought he could take advantage of Dubas, sooner or later he'll understand that's just not the case (assuming Dubas doesn't cave).

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
That Dubas and Gross are talking shouldn't be a surprise.
If they weren't talking, that would be surprising.
My impression - and this is just my impression, so take it for what it's worth - is that intense in-person contact between GM and agent tend to happen more when deals are about to get done. The regular talks are more often with an assistant, and more often not in person. So if that's true, three in-person meetings in short order should mean that something might happen soon.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If Nylander is not going to budge on his demands, he definitely needs to be shipped out. He is gaining a reputation right now throughout the NHL that he thinks he is bigger then the team. His father did it for years. Hence why his father never won a Cup. If Willy doesn't watch out, he will end up being like his father, playing for teams that will never get a sniff of a Cup. He can easily be traded to Carolina, Buffalo or Ottawa in a heartbeat. Is making that extra million a season worth it Willy???? Ask your father how it feels to be a nobody once your career is done!!!! Cause hes taking you down that same path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad