Willy #19 - Who gets the larger piece of the Toblerone bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Leaf reporters are so in the Leafs wheel house. No one went hard to get a Dubas interview today. Really bad and sad. Apparently he ran into his corner office stayed there all day and left early after practice. Now I know he is tired after long trip i get that done it a hundred times myself. But it must have gone terrible for him to act that way today.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'm not entirely sure on that, I'd imagine a lot of those teams making enquiries haven't gone that far down the road, I'd think it's just a check to see how things are going just in case it gets toxic and he becomes available

I wouldn't bother with the agent and potential money demands until Nylander is "on the market" so to speak
a simple/quick phone call to his agent asking what he's looking for would be the first thing i did before i even bothered to see if Willie was available or if i wanted to make a offer to try to get him to be available

why bother seeing if he was available and if he was start negotiating a deal before i found out what he's looking for ?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
lebrun said no numbers were exchanged and this from friedman last night

- nylander is concerned that they will not be able to keep all 4
-he believes someone will be traded, father and agent worried too that at somepoint he will be dealt
- friedman believes dubas was telling him that wasn’t his plan + tavares’s promise
- dubas also told him "if you continue to want 8 million on a long term deal, they can’t do it, and might have to make a move."
- mentions marleau’s 3rd year as a problem
- wonders if Nylander does a "2 × 4 deal and better himself later"
- the preference "is to keep nylander"

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
you don't think he reads the stuff people write about him on social media, on twitter? matthews said that fans dm him when he has a bad game. don't you think that hasn't happened to nylander? if it's true that he is worried about being traded (dubas said they're not interested in trading him), then it's because the media has talked about trading him for a defenseman for the past two years.

and i added that it would be my reason for not signing if i was him. my take on why he hasn't signed yet because i don't believe it's about not getting 8m. but even if my take isn't true, insulting him and calling him names it's still a ****ty thing to do. i dont get why the majority of you (not only on hf boards) think it's ok to do it. and it has nothing to do with being a passionate fan that cares about their team, it's just about being an *******.

and if some of you think that's fair game [calling him names], then i feel kinda sad for you.
I don't think calling him names is a fine thing to do, it hardly never is. I think most people would agree with me. But for one no one would be calling him names of he had signed before the season started, also like in a lot professions being called names and insulted is just part of an everyday life and for most you just ignore it, being a professional athlete you just have to ignore that hate and I'm sure most of these athletes are told fairly often by the team, management and agents to not engage in any of it. Lastly the reason he hasn't signed again isn't because of being insulated on the internet, it has to do with how much he and his agent think he's worth vs. Leafs management.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
why do you think he is training with an Austrian team? think about it, it is the most non-threatening league in Europe for the T.O media to catch onto and run wild with speculation. If he were seriously thinking about not coming back to N.A he's be with a Swedish team or a KHL team.
His practicing in Austria will threaten no one nor will it help his bargaining position. The Leafs FO ain't that gullible.

Posters on this forum...well that's another story. The media can speculate away!

Reactions: freshwind

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
don't know for sure just like no one knows what Willie wants but are saying he wants 8m plus

got the just over 4m x 4yrs from what Kyper said he heard

All of it is speculation and rumours from both ends. I just hope they can come to an agreement that works for both parties. I want Willy back in the line up

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
god, you guys are still insufferable. good to see that nothing has really changed.

"i DoNt UnDerStAnD wHy He WoUlDnT wAnNa SiGn RiGhT nOw??????"

well, idk, maybe because people have treated him like ****? have verbally abused him? have dragged his name through the mud and slandered his family? who would wanna play for any of you?

eta: thats, at least, how i would feel like if i was him.
I'm glad the people on the forum aren't Leafs Management and that the family nor Willie reads this forum.

Reactions: freshwind

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Interesting he is so concerned about being traded if he signs...does he realize he will be traded by not signing?
This is really stupid. I feel bad for him. His dad is hijacking his career.

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Wait, wait, wait...I'm one of many people on this board who continue to argue to bring in Nylander and have him remain a Maple Leaf for a very long time. I'm not in the minority and I'm one of many who continue to note his value opposite to the numerous, insufferable Brett Pesce proposals that see William Nylander for the very talented player and desirable piece for our club that he is.

The accusation is "treated him like ****"? By appealing to sign for less millions noting the opportunity to compensate that loss of millions through endorsement deals and future opportunities to sign many more millions when the appropriate time arises, customary with most star NHL traditional contract routes?

And "have verbally abused him?" With an essentially staff controlled (i.e. albeit of one perhaps) Twitter account and sports psychologists on the ready, media training in hand, it's as though you're attempting to characterize Nylander as an isolated and bullied 13-year old over image and relationship issues. This is a well-trained, well-sourced professional athlete who knows more about his identity and strength of character than you'll likely ever have to be tested to determine. What absolute nonsense.

And "have dragged his name through the mud and slandered his family"? That's babble too. A fanbase such as Toronto's - worldwide mind you - is given to cite his father on contextual related concerns, but implying and impugning the entire fan base as having behaved this way towards William and his (implied, entire) family, is just degenerative wishful thinking.

And it's rejected wishful thinking, thank you very much.

Great post. Can we be friends again?

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
there's been many reports teams have called and asked about his availability and since they can and probably did speak to his agent before they called Dubas it doesn't seem like it would be a problem for many teams to agree on a contract with him

Well why haven’t all these teams made a trade with the leafs or tendered an offer sheet. Maybe all these teams realize nylander isn’t worth the amount he is looking for either in a trade or said offer sheet. If it isn’t a problem as you say where is the contract with the new teams.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Interesting he is so concerned about being traded if he signs...does he realize he will be traded by not signing?
This is really stupid. I feel bad for him. His dad is hijacking his career.
What LeBrun said also is that he wanted his contract in the event that he is or isn’t traded. So at any time it doesn’t matter. He is compensated via long term high salary no matter where he is.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
His practicing in Austria will threaten no one nor will it help his bargaining position. The Leafs FO ain't that gullible.

Posters on this forum...well that's another story. The media can speculate away!

ok I said nothing about bargaining positions or FO being gullible. I said him practicing with a SHL team or KHL tema would create shitshow to add pressure to him self. training in Austria is essentially saying im just doing this to keep fitness up.

Reactions: Kiwi and Menzinger

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
What LeBrun said also is that he wanted his contract in the event that he is or isn’t traded. So at any time it doesn’t matter. He is compensated via long term high salary no matter where he is.
I have to hand it to Willy - he has giant set of steel balls.

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
ok I said nothing about bargaining positions or FO being gullible. I said him practicing with a SHL team or KHL tema would create ****show to add pressure to him self. training in Austria is essentially saying im just doing this to keep fitness up.
I know you didn't say that, but I did. What I am saying is that I agree with you about the fitness thing and that Austria is a nothingburger.

Reactions: Walshy7

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
Ya it would be a sweet line. So fast and high pace.

That could all be hearsay. Hard to comment as Babcock is well respected in the NHL community. Maybe Nylander wants to play center which if he signs long term he could in Kadri's spot in a few years.
Doesn't want to be traded. Wants to play center. Whats's next? wants to be player/coach?

Reactions: ACC1224

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Larkin got 6.1m x 5 yrs , so how is 4m x 4yrs not a severe low ball when you consider he won't even be a ufa at the end of this deal ?

also he was more than ready to play in the NHL a yr after his draft and it was the team who left him in the minors which delayed his ufa status by 1 yr

I think people are more interested in Dubas looking like he won these negotiations even if it hurts the team than hoping the two sides come to a fair deal .
You are hysterical. Calm down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad