Willy #19 - Who gets the larger piece of the Toblerone bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
What's so complicated about this? I seriously don't understand?

You put multiple offers of varying years as well as a list of teams he'd be willing to sign with. Pick one. If you pick the trade option....Lewis Gross reaches out to them to see who will offer the most. Then when an acceptable contract is agreed to in principle....the 2 teams try to work out a trade. Maybe that's already happening and there are no teams that A) want to pay 7-8 M AAV AND B) trade the assets to the Leafs that Dubas is looking for. What a freaking shytestorm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Critical91

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Maybe I'm looking into this too deeply, but up until now, I've seen Photos of Nylander practicing in Leafs gear... is this this first time he elected not to wear Leafs gear...? Maybe he has no plans on budging and realizes his Leafs days are numbered??
He is wearing leafs gear. Just not the jersey

Reactions: NoTouchIcing

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
IMHO if he doesn't want to get traded he should just sign something fair and reasonable and come in with a positive attitude, hard work, improve on his weaknesses and be a good team guy. Make the management think he is one of the last guys you'd trade. Everything he's done so far this summer and fall has had the opposite effect.

Hoping that Dubas told him that the cutoff date for a long term deal is one week from now. After that it's bridge deal only.

Mar 26, 2010
I heard Dubie is back in TO. No contract signed. Is this correct?
No contract.

Bye bye Willy. You can pretty much put a fork in it, Nylander is cooked. He is out, you will not see him back with the Leafs.

Time to focus on a trade.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
The fact reports suggest they didn’t even discuss numbers is really worrisome. I mean, we’re so far apart all we can do is reassure Willie we still want him? I thought this “summit” was a bit of a watershed moment, that it was so far removed from hashing out a deal, speaks even more than I thought.

This whole thing is officially stupid now.
What reports

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
The only way I see this being resolved is with a bridge deal for two or three years and Willie being traded sometime before that deal is over. It's clear Willie has no interest in taking the hometown discount, and saying that he is fully within his rights to do that, so the Leafs will not be able to fit him in once the bridge deal is done and we'll have to move on from him.

It's crappy but that 's the realities of the salary cap system.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
You have to think that Nylander is toast is Toronto. I'm sure there is a team dumb enough to pay him $8mil/year, and we can get a solid dman back.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Maybe I'm looking into this too deeply, but up until now, I've seen Photos of Nylander practicing in Leafs gear... is this this first time he elected not to wear Leafs gear...? Maybe he has no plans on budging and realizes his Leafs days are numbered??

why do you think he is training with an Austrian team? think about it, it is the most non-threatening league in Europe for the T.O media to catch onto and run wild with speculation. If he were seriously thinking about not coming back to N.A he's be with a Swedish team or a KHL team.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
No contract.

Bye bye Willy. You can pretty much put a fork in it, Nylander is cooked. He is out, you will not see him back with the Leafs.

Time to focus on a trade.
If nylander is traded it will be in a few years after playing with Matthews and posting 70+ point seasons. Can either trade his rights or trade him before a NMC kicks in.

There is no point in getting emotional and selling early on an asset that should only increase in value.

Me personally, I want to see Matthews with both Kap and Nylander. That would be a treat

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Great, didn't know Reebok Canada is sponsoring Willy to play in Austria. Great sponsorship deal that.....

wont someone please think of the poor billion dollar corporation in all of this?. who gives a f*** about Reebok? if they thought it was wise to sign a player to an endorsement deal based on the player playing for a certain team then they probably should of waited until he signed with that specific team no?

Also you don't believe if he is playing in Europe this season it will be in the Austrian league do you? if so ive got this limited edition bag of fresh Canadian air to sell you. There is a KHL team that owns his rights and said they'd love to have him already cmon

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
What reports

im sorry there is no way there are legit reports that specific about a meeting that happened in Switzerland, not a chance. Sure he isn't signed so its safe to assume they haven't got the deal done, but "they didn't even get down to numbers" cmon. Dubas is a terrible GM if that simple bit of info is leaked already

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
If nylander is traded it will be in a few years after playing with Matthews and posting 70+ point seasons. Can either trade his rights or trade him before a NMC kicks in.

There is no point in getting emotional and selling early on an asset that should only increase in value.

Me personally, I want to see Matthews with both Kap and Nylander. That would be a treat

Agree 100%.

A playoff lineup of #34 between Nylander and Kapanen while Marleau moves down with Kadri/Brown on a checking line with any number of guys making up a 4th line to give 8-10 good minutes of energy would be a hell of a deep lineup and very hard to match up against.

You also suddenly have a much deeper PP2 once you add Willy back into the mix.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
None of this really matters. The Leafs have a number they can give Willie, Willie has a number he wants. The 2 are obviously fairly far apart. The only scenario I see happening is a trade, or he would have signed already.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Agree 100%.

A playoff lineup of #34 between Nylander and Kapanen while Marleau moves down with Kadri/Brown on a checking line with any number of guys making up a 4th line to give 8-10 good minutes of energy would be a hell of a deep lineup and very hard to match up against.

You also suddenly have a much deeper PP2 once you add Willy back into the mix.
Yup those are my thoughts too. Kadri and Marleau played well together last year and also adds a large body to that line which is nice. Lindholm with the Goat + Leivo would be my 4th line.

I think I would honestly shift kadri back to play with Nylander, Gardiner and Patty on the 2nd PP. Suddenly you have a pretty sweet second unit.

Mar 26, 2010

Me personally, I want toI am think see Matthews with both Kap and Nylander. That would be a treat
Kapanen Matthews Nylander

That is what I have been saying all along. It is not going to happen though. There is definitely something more than just the money, that is preventing him from signing. I believe he hates Babcok, and does not want to play for him.

Could you imagine if the Leafs lost Matthews, Nylander and Marner because of Babcock! I am hearing Babcock is a huge problem and the players hate him.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

That is what I have been saying all along. It is not going to happen though. There is definitely something more than just the money, that is preventing him from signing. I believe he hates Babcok, and does not want to play for him.

Could you imagine if the Leafs lost Matthews, Nylander and Marner because of Babcock! I am hearing Babcock is a huge problem and the players hate him.
Ya it would be a sweet line. So fast and high pace.

That could all be hearsay. Hard to comment as Babcock is well respected in the NHL community. Maybe Nylander wants to play center which if he signs long term he could in Kadri's spot in a few years.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

There is no real way to tell, but Marleau loves Babcock, Tavares loves Babcock, Doughty loves Babcock, the list goes on and on. Willie seems like a spoiled little baby, like his dad, so I could see this being the case, as Babcock actually makes players accountable. Willie is a floater, Babcock doesn't like floaters. If this is the truly the reason, than see ya later Willie.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
"The Toronto Sun’s Lance Hornby broke the news that Dubas was en route to Switzerland for a face-to-face with William Nylander . The Leafs have discussed a bridge with their unsigned winger, but there remained a chasm. It’s somewhere between $4.8 million (a little more than Nikita Kucherov ’s second contract) and $6 million ( Artemi Panarin ’s AAV). Nylander’s also worried about being traded if the Leafs’ cap situation becomes untenable. Keeping him is Toronto’s main goal. Dubas’s trip allows for two things: showing Nylander a) he’s serious and b) no one can say that Toronto didn’t try everything to get this done."

Still, only speculation

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
The only way I see this being resolved is with a bridge deal for two or three years and Willie being traded sometime before that deal is over. It's clear Willie has no interest in taking the hometown discount, and saying that he is fully within his rights to do that, so the Leafs will not be able to fit him in once the bridge deal is done and we'll have to move on from him.

It's crappy but that 's the realities of the salary cap system.

A bridge at this point is really the only way to go. 2-3 years - take your pick - doesn't matter.

I'd begin negotiations with Nylander the second you're allowed to discuss extensions (July 1st in the final year or something?). I would also inform Nylander that if a deal is not reached by TDD of that year, he will be shopped. Also if a deal isn't doen by the start of the season of his final year and he chooses not to discuss contract extensions during the regular season, he will be shopped as soon as the contract negotiations are broken off.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I'm starting to feel a little naive, but I'm still expecting this to end with Nylander in a Leafs uniform for years to come. There's tons of smoke, but I refuse to buy in to the hype. Let's get this shit done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad