Willie Desjardins must be launched into the Sun

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
As a long time fan I have often wondered what Kyle Clifford could do with top six minutes, haven't you?

To be fair to Kyle, he is one of the few players the Kings have that is giving an honest effort every single shift.
In this shitahow season it's fine but I think there are other who should sit or be demoted over Kovalchuk. Looking at you Jeff Carter.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I don't mind Kyle Clifford getting put into a bigger role, (I'm KH24, of course I'd feel that way.) he's played well.

I'm NOT a fan of Kovalchuk getting 6 minutes a night. He's the most skilled player we've had since.. Pallfy? WD needs to find a spot for him. He should be getting a minimum of 12 minutes a night.

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Clifford-Carter-Toffoli
Kovalchuk-Kempe-Luff
Wagner-Thompson-Amadio

Then have Kovalchuk replace Toffoli on the first PP unit.

Brown-Kopitar-Carter
Kovalchuk-Doughty

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't mind Kyle Clifford getting put into a bigger role, (I'm KH24, of course I'd feel that way.) he's played well.

I'm NOT a fan of Kovalchuk getting 6 minutes a night. He's the most skilled player we've had since.. Pallfy? WD needs to find a spot for him. He should be getting a minimum of 12 minutes a night.

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Clifford-Carter-Toffoli
Kovalchuk-Kempe-Luff
Wagner-Thompson-Amadio

Then have Kovalchuk replace Toffoli on the first PP unit.

Brown-Kopitar-Carter
Kovalchuk-Doughty
I want to be pissed at clifford's usage but he has played so damn good with his increased role

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Desjardins and Thompson can hold hands as they're launched into the Sun feeling it together, dreaming about pedicures.

Thompson would have to skate fast enough to catch him first, and Desjardins would actually have him on the rink 100% of the time, so neither thing is likely to happen, like opposite poles of a battery coming together.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Blake needs to step in here, Desjardins is an interim coach and Kovalchuk is signed for 3 years, Blake can't let WD tank Kovalchuk's value and make him untradeable. Doesn't matter if you are committing to your signing or showcasing him for trade, you have to play him from an asset management prospective. If you don't want to play him 5v5, putting him out for the entire PP on both units.

canuck89

May 17, 2014
Prince George
As a Canucks fan, I will say that Willie's ice-time and lineup decisions often left me confused and/or infuriated.

When the Canucks were down by a goal and in need some offense to get that equalizer, he was giving Derek Dorsett (51 goals and 127 points in 515 games played) and Brandon Prust (40 goals and 115 points in 486 games played) preferential ice-time over the Sedins.
How the heck does an actual NHL coach think that's a good strategy?

With Canucks down by one, Dorsett plays more than the Sedins

Reactions: timw33

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
In this ****ahow season it's fine but I think there are other who should sit or be demoted over Kovalchuk. Looking at you Jeff Carter.

Boy does this team miss this wrist shot this season.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Reaper45

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I don't want Blame hiring another coach cause he is horrible at it.
That's the thing, sure Blake gets a bit of a pass for inheriting the mess Lombardi left him, but it's time for him to start being held accountable for how Stevens worked out and for how it looks the WD hire is heading. Outside of college UFA signings, Blake hasn't done a whole lot to inspire confidence at this point.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
That's the thing, sure Blake gets a bit of a pass for inheriting the mess Lombardi left him, but it's time for him to start being held accountable for how Stevens worked out and for how it looks the WD hire is heading. Outside of college UFA signings, Blake hasn't done a whole lot to inspire confidence at this point.

What exactly did you want him to do?

You realize that their job is to win hockey games right? They came off a year where they were the #1 defensive team in the league, and their offense started out great, but fizzled, disappeared by playoffs etc, so when they are evaluating last season, they are looking at things through their lens of, we are a #1 defensive team, but we need offense, we are getting older, so we don't really want to trade our younger prospects or picks, but hey, there's a top offensive FA out there, let's go talk to him,...they sign him, and he works because Stevens forgot to tell the team they had to play defense, that #1 defensive team, turned into a #31 defensive team over the summer, no one knows what happened etc.

What was it, 12-13 games in they fire the coach because of the start....and everyone agreed that it had to be done.....but instead of RUSHING into a hiring a new PERMANENT coach...they hire an interim coach.....who asked Kovalchuk to play defense...I know..that' was a brutal ask, wasn't it?

Now all of a sudden Blake can't hire coaches??

You guys don't get to sim to the next season here.....doesn't work like that...

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
WD is already as good as gone. He's not even going to make it through the season, book it.

I hope you know something and this is true. Release him and give it over to Sturm. I'm sure AEG is not going to let him sign Quenneville. Too much money going to
departed coaches...no way they let Blake spend their money on Q right now. I'm sure Sturm would not be giving Thompson 18 minutes a game. I saw a King game Hockey Night in Canada
feed about 10 days ago and WD gave this 30 minute interview and it seemed like all he wanted to talk about were the good old junior days and Team Canada. He just seemed out of touch
and seemed like someone who enjoys amateur hockey and team Canada...I truly think the Kovy world jr thing is still festering with him. I have looked up info and it seems WD was the
assistant coach of that team. Kovy probably shouldn't have pumped his fist twice, on the empty netter...it didn't bug me...but I recall seeing that in 2001 and many made a big deal
about it...WD is now treating Kovy like a nobody.."he's an interesting player"..."he's excited when I (emphasis on I...and having power over him) call his name to go out"
"we have to figure out where he fits" lol WD is the one who is not fit to coach in the NHL.
Have you ever heard an NHL coach talk like this? Especially about a future hall of famer?

I want to book what you're saying. Give it to Sturm and hire one good assistant.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I hope you know something and this is true. Release him and give it over to Sturm. I'm sure AEG is not going to let him sign Quenneville. Too much money going to
departed coaches...no way they let Blake spend their money on Q right now. I'm sure Sturm would not be giving Thompson 18 minutes a game. I saw a King game Hockey Night in Canada
feed about 10 days ago and WD gave this 30 minute interview and it seemed like all he wanted to talk about were the good old junior days and Team Canada. He just seemed out of touch
and seemed like someone who enjoys amateur hockey and team Canada...I truly think the Kovy world jr thing is still festering with him. I have looked up info and it seems WD was the
assistant coach of that team. Kovy probably shouldn't have pumped his fist twice, on the empty netter...it didn't bug me...but I recall seeing that in 2001 and many made a big deal
about it...WD is now treating Kovy like a nobody.."he's an interesting player"..."he's excited when I (emphasis on I...and having power over him) call his name to go out"
"we have to figure out where he fits" lol WD is the one who is not fit to coach in the NHL.
Have you ever heard an NHL coach talk like this? Especially about a future hall of famer?

I want to book what you're saying. Give it to Sturm and hire one good assistant.

They ALL talk like this,

For reference, you are referencing his interview on AFTER HOURS, where the emphasis on that show is getting to know the interviewee and not talking about current events, but where they grew up, things they did, stuff AWAY from current events etc.

And are you seriously trying to say that something happened 17 years ago, is effecting his decisions now? Seriously?

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
They ALL talk like this,

And are you seriously trying to say that something happened 17 years ago, is effecting his decisions now? Seriously?

Yes. I remember that game and many in Canada were pissed...now consider WD was an asst coach and there. I am sure that every player and coach will never forget that.
(you can see he was working on Canadian National Teams in those years)
And Kovy beat WD's Team Canada in the Olympics. No other NHL coach right now, would put Kovy on line 4, remove him from PP and sit him all 3rd period and play
him 6 minutes. Only one would do that: WD. I think the aforementioned things have something to do with the 2001 fist pump and also beating him for the Gold.
If Kovy continued the point a game he was, before WD got here, I think he would be playing...but the lack of points of late and not being the hardest worker,
he's doing that to him (you could choose Carter or Toffoli, they are worse) and the way he talks about Kovy shows total disdain. 100%.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
One of the things that puzzled me was not sure if it was during a Kings broadcast, but I think Fox said that WD was working with one PP unit and Sturm was working with the second unit. How on any planet does that make any sense? what if a guy is in the box or injured. you basically have players that aren't up to speed on either set up.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
What exactly did you want him to do?

What most teams with 1 playoff win in 4 seasons would do. Make some kind of significant change to the roster.

Blake could have traded any number of players last summer and he chose not to. Yes he inherited a below average roster and the worst farm system in the NHL but he has done very little in his time as GM, and that was with two offseasons. Blake basically bought a fixer-upper and has decided to just make no changes and live in it.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
What most teams with 1 playoff win in 4 seasons would do. Make some kind of significant change to the roster.

Blake could have traded any number of players last summer and he chose not to. Yes he inherited a below average roster and the worst farm system in the NHL but he has done very little in his time as GM, and that was with two offseasons. Blake basically bought a fixer-upper and has decided to just make no changes and live in it.

Exactly. This is his team. He's had two off-seasons and, more importantly, a full season and playoff embarrassment to judge what this roster is. Furthermore, he can look back and see that pretty much the same group of dudes have done jack shit since 2014.

He doubled-down this off-season on Lombardi's roster, a roster that everyone ripped Lombardi for keeping together and believing in by trading futures to continually try to help them out. Instead of realizing that the ride was over, he got seduced by completely abnormal seasons from 11 and 23, completely ignoring their respective career histories.

Possession is 9/10ths of the law. Blake got the first off-season and last year to say "It's not mine" and have it be believable. This is his team. His Phaneuf. His Kovy. His Vilardi. His Willie effing Desjardins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad