Post-Game Talk: William Nylander Leads Leafs to Victory AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwulf

Dec 7, 2015
Brett Hull skated like a house leaguer and was a black hole on defense. In what way does Nylander remind you of Hull? Because he went down on one knee for the Hyman goal?

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Wasn't Phil reported to have a 106mph slapper?
He never used it, nor used the stick he should use for it.

Never seen it personally. And I watched a lot of Kessel hockey in a Leafs uni. Not that he needed it mind you. Great wrist/snapper.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I don't mind when Nylander or Hyman are the ones who are getting the goals. I'm actually more frustrated that all of the sudden Bernier is playing much better, when for the majority of the season he couldn't stop anything.

Love to see our kids step up, its a bit disappointing that some of veterans don't have more pride and are playing like the games mean something, some of our vets think the end of the season was Feb 29th and are now on coast mode. The good thing is Shanny and Lou get to see this and can make the appropriate decisions in the summer.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Love to see our kids step up, its a bit disappointing that some of veterans don't have more pride and are playing like the games mean something, some of our vets think the end of the season was Feb 29th and are now on coast mode. The good thing is Shanny and Lou get to see this and can make the appropriate decisions in the summer.

Who are you talking about?

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Can we make an effort to only refer to William Nylander as Boyd Devereaux until the end of the season?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
May not have fully grasped the concept of what "Boyd Devereaux" represents.

It's the silly belief that the two points they earned in a meaningless win because of his hat trick counted more than any other points they earned that season.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Never seen it personally. And I watched a lot of Kessel hockey in a Leafs uni. Not that he needed it mind you. Great wrist/snapper.

I don't think any NHLer could take even a half decent slapper with the type of stick Kessel chooses to use. It's like a noodle with that sort of force.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I don't mind when Nylander or Hyman are the ones who are getting the goals. I'm actually more frustrated that all of the sudden Bernier is playing much better, when for the majority of the season he couldn't stop anything.

But it's not like the Bernier we saw early this season is the same Bernier we say in the seasons before that. We knew the talent and ability to play like this was there all along, the confusion was trying to figure out what in the world shook his confidence to the point where it seemed like he forgot how to play hockey. It's equally as confusing to try and figure out how he's all of a sudden gotten that confidence back. It's easier for me to salvage a loss knowing that the team isn't good enough rather than have to console after a loss because certain players aren't playing the way they should.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I was a little disappointed that Kadri didn't get to tune up Gaudreau for his actions.

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
I'm in the playoffs in my pool.

Is Nylander a good waiver pickup this late into the season? I could use the occasional point here and there.

Please advise Leafs fans.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Toronto Maple Leafs vs Calgary Flames - March 21st 2016 (HD)

"Young Guns Shine" - (Extended Highlights)

SEER

Sep 21, 2015

Is Nylander a good waiver pickup this late into the season? I could use the occasional point here and there.

We still have one more winter storm coming...

It's a little early, to be in a pool... :sarcasm: :laugh:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
But it's not like the Bernier we saw early this season is the same Bernier we say in the seasons before that. We knew the talent and ability to play like this was there all along, the confusion was trying to figure out what in the world shook his confidence to the point where it seemed like he forgot how to play hockey. It's equally as confusing to try and figure out how he's all of a sudden gotten that confidence back. It's easier for me to salvage a loss knowing that the team isn't good enough rather than have to console after a loss because certain players aren't playing the way they should.

Just like Kadri wasn't going to shoot at 1% for the season, Bernier wasn't going to play with an .888 save percentage. The career numbers didn't indicate that.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Leafs won't be making the playoffs.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If they add to the D a little, get a little C action from Stamkos and a G plus draft any of the top 4. They likely are in a PO race next season.

I assumed the post I quoted was talking about this season.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Just like Kadri wasn't going to shoot at 1% for the season, Bernier wasn't going to play with an .888 save percentage. The career numbers didn't indicate that.

It certainly didn't but I would have never expected that a healthy Bernier would have such a long stretch of bad play. It's not like that bad save percentage was from a handful of blowout games - it was a lot of individually bad games. Even when he played decent, he would seemingly sabotage himself by letting in a bad goal near the end of the game in a tied game. Maybe his confidence was shook with having a new coach and knowing the reputation of Babcock he put more pressure on himself to come out as the clear #1 and he just did himself in. Confidence is a tricky thing.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
We have to give kudos for Shanahan for not coming out and saying anything, guy has kept his mouth shut tight. Letting Babcock and the team just do what they are doing. Scaring every team in the NHL right now.

I have to give Shanny a ton of props. I mean, sure, we haven't got results yet, but so far he's acted like a pure professional and has filled key positions nicely.

He's sort of an anti-Burke, really. Very different leader for the Leafs. We'll see if it translates to more success.

Side note, but Bernier's play has made me think we should give him another chance next season, rather than try to ship him out at a loss.

Also, that reaction by Jooris on Kadri.....yikes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad