Post-Game Talk: William Nylander Leads Leafs to Victory AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsGeeks

Jan 22, 2016
Nylander just seems to be getting more and more confident with the puck lately. Can't wait until his official rookie season next year, it's gonna be so fun watching Leafs games with him and Marner out there.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Come in now guys. Most of this thread is unrealistic. We aren't making the playoffs next year. First, we aren't factoring sophmore slumps or growing pains for any of these guys. We havnt seen them play at this level for a full season in the NHL.

We have two top 4 D IMO in Rielly and Gardiner. That's it, and I don't see it changing by next year. Even if we sign that Russian, thats 3, and all are inexperienced minus Gardiner.

Goaltending will most likely be inconsistant. Our pick this year and Marner won't be ready. Marner modt likely gets a sheltered role, and Our first probably goes back to junior/the ahl if we get a swede.

Nylander is also being given easy minutes. Remember when Kadri played like a man possesed? Remember what happened once teams started focusing on him a bit more?

I think we have the potential to be a good team, but there is still a lot of work needed. We need theae guys to mature.

I just don't aee it.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
You can't help but like the way the young guys played last night but we have to temper it with a bit of reality, there is nothing on the line, except to crawl out of last place in the league and these young players are showcasing themselves for jobs next season.

I like what I see and I'm looking forward to next season, this team will be having a complete make over, some of these young players will be here, others will not but one thing is sure, this off-season will have some real drama, with players being traded and other players being drafted and additional call-ups and surprise signings.

I don't think that this summer, we will have as many boredom threads as we have seen in past years and with the expansion draft spurring more trades, there will be a ton of activity and the Leafs will be in the center of all this...Wow!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Come in now guys. Most of this thread is unrealistic. We aren't making the playoffs next year. First, we aren't factoring sophmore slumps or growing pains for any of these guys. We havnt seen them play at this level for a full season in the NHL.

We have two top 4 D IMO in Rielly and Gardiner. That's it, and I don't see it changing by next year. Even if we sign that Russian, thats 3, and all are inexperienced minus Gardiner.

Goaltending will most likely be inconsistant. Our pick this year and Marner won't be ready. Marner modt likely gets a sheltered role, and Our first probably goes back to junior/the ahl if we get a swede.

Nylander is also being given easy minutes. Remember when Kadri played like a man possesed? Remember what happened once teams started focusing on him a bit more?

I think we have the potential to be a good team, but there is still a lot of work needed. We need theae guys to mature.

I just don't aee it.

Discipline is mature, work ethic is mature, skill is skill, decision making is a discipline. Outside physical maturity and strength, the rest is development for the player by the coaching staff. If Babcock gets the kids playing like we are, its a non issue because the rest will carry them until that comes. Carrick is playing top 4D hockey right now. Its hard to say about Mari, but the vets are the anchors on the team so far in a lot of ways.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

I just don't aee it.

Slumps and growing pains sometimes happen. Breakout seasons sometimes happen too. Don't dismiss slumps, but don't count on them either.

Our defense since the TDL has looked very good. Even against very good teams, they've been limiting chances and driving the play. Going into next season with the current guys plus Zaitsev would be league average defense.

Goaltending is impossible to predict, but it could go our way or not.

Nylander has been mostly given easy minutes. So? When he starts getting harder minutes, that means someone like Marner will get easy minutes. We have enough depth to always take advantage of the weak matchups.

Agreed that our 1st probably isn't in the show, but I'm not counting on it.

It's entirely possible that what we've been seeing the Leafs do since the TDL is a hot streak. But I'm not going to dismiss the possibility that it's not. If it isn't, and the Leafs can sustain that level of play, plus JVR and Bozak coming back from injury, plus signing Stamkos (we're not making the playoffs next year without Stamkos), that's a bubble team.

The Atlantic isn't too strong, either. Canadiens have shown they're terrible. Chara's getting another year older and the Bruin's defense is otherwise crap. Tampa Bay minus Stamkos isn't anything to get excited about.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
he's the youngest Leaf to have back to back multi-point games since Clark.
way to go Will

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
he's the youngest Leaf to have back to back multi-point games since Clark.
way to go Will

Would have thought Damphouse would have done that?

Pretty much speaks to how this Team has been run over the last 30 years.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Would have thought Damphouse would have done that?

Pretty much speaks to how this Team has been run over the last 30 years.

Havn't seen his set of skill since Dougie, love his puck poise and vision.

Keeping my expectations in check though ... No good thing ever happen to Leafs fans.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

I just don't aee it.

Rielly won't be inexperienced next year. He'll have 2 full seasons under his belt. Rielly should easily have his best season next year in every aspect including points. He is going to average minimum 24-25 mins a night. I know Rielly is still very young. But this will be his 3rd year. Should be time to expect him to take an even bigger stride in his career if we think he's going to be as good as we all think he will be.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Rielly won't be inexperienced next year. He'll have 2 full seasons under his belt. Rielly should easily have his best season next year in every aspect including points. He is going to average minimum 24-25 mins a night. I know Rielly is still very young. But this will be his 3rd year. Should be time to expect him to take an even bigger stride in his career if we think he's going to be as good as we all think he will be.

This is Rielly's 3rd full season right now and next year will be his 4th. It was a big year for him already and he already seems well adjusted to being the #1 on the back end, particularly since Phaneuf was dealt. He's emerging as a leader on the team for sure - I wouldn't be surprised to see him wear an 'A' next season.

Given his hard work ethic I expect him to put a big off-season of training in knowing now what it takes to me a top tier defenseman and to face the best every night.

I also expect his offensive totals to trend upward .. 40 points is an unrealistic expectation.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Willy is a better passer, better vision and has a better defensive game. People compare Willy and Kessel I believe from their snap shots. I think Nylander will be a way better overall player than Kessel has ever been. Plus Willy is a C which is a naturally more valuable position and he's surprisingly doing quite well with his winning %

That back check last night was a thing of beauty. He could have went to the easier side, the board side, but he took the center f the ice away, made the player go towards the boards then stick checked him and then took the puck away. That is puck retrieval 101. I cant recall the last time a Toronto center hass been so well rounded.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Bill is so sick man, I said it in the other thread and ill say it again. I wouldn't be surprised if within 3 years we are talking about Nylander being the best forward to come out of the 2014 draft. I'm expecting a big year from him next year. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I just don't aee it.

You are accurate in your assessment but willie was playing against dats and stamkos, not all the time but babs is playing him against the 2nd and sometimes 1st line. Babs planned on playing him against eichel.
To be the best you have to play the best or something along those lines is what babs said.
Playoffs next year is always a possibility, but it would highly unlikely for all the reasons you've listed.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
We won't be a playoff team next year but I don't think we're getting a top 5 pick either. The kids are too good plus didn't Lou say 50% of this roster will be different, I'm pretty sure they're going to go hard after some UFA's and start surrounding the core we have. It doesn't mean we're not still building and drafting well but like Babs said "In 2-3 years time we're not going to be doing this"

12 picks this year including a top 4 pick. Sign Stamkos, another 10 picks next year...the building of this team isn't going to take 5-6 years years like some people were saying.

Nylander, Kapanen, Marner, Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, 2016 top 4 pick, 2016 1st round pick (Pitt), 10 2016 picks, 10 2017 picks, Stamkos (if we sign him), the core of this team is quickly going to be shaped up.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

I just don't aee it.

The 92/93 Leafs and 98/99 Leafs weren't expected to be playoff teams either, both made it to the conference final. I am NOT saying the Leafs will be in the conference final next year, just that it's impossible to predict.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The 92/93 Leafs and 98/99 Leafs weren't expected to be playoff teams either, both made it to the conference final. I am NOT saying the Leafs will be in the conference final next year, just that it's impossible to predict.

With 3-4+ rookies in the lineup, some in key roles it is not that hard to predict. Lou and Babs have both said they expect another step back next year. I agree we will not be a bottom three team but we still have a way to go with seasoning, growing pains and so on.

Goaltending of course could surprise but we would need Bernier to have a Vezina calibre year to realistically think of the playoffs. Don't see that happening.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
With 3-4+ rookies in the lineup, some in key roles it is not that hard to predict. Lou and Babs have both said they expect another step back next year. I agree we will not be a bottom three team but we still have a way to go with seasoning, growing pains and so on.

Goaltending of course could surprise but we would need Bernier to have a Vezina calibre year to realistically think of the playoffs. Don't see that happening.

I honestly don't care what Lou and Babs say I have a hard time believing this team could actually get worse...like outside of the past 2-3 weeks of the kids, this year has been down right nasty. Take this team, add a year to Nylander, Rielly, add in Marner, Zaitsev, another year to Gardiner, some roster changes etc...how does this team get worse? Unless they plan on icing four 4th lines all year and completely tanking again.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I honestly don't care what Lou and Babs say I have a hard time believing this team could actually get worse...like outside of the past 2-3 weeks of the kids, this year has been down right nasty. Take this team, add a year to Nylander, Rielly, add in Marner, Zaitsev, another year to Gardiner, some roster changes etc...how does this team get worse?

Once the kids were brought up and some of the vets got traded or injured, the team started playing better. Is that a coincidence? I think not.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Once the kids were brought up and some of the vets got traded or injured, the team started playing better. Is that a coincidence? I think not.

Strangely though the guy who I was told should benefit the most is actually playing the worst, 11gp, 0goals, 3assists, minus 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad