Post-Game Talk: William Nylander Leads Leafs to Victory AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I read a few posts comparing Willy to Kessel. Which on some level, is understandable.

Don't think Phil had a clapper like that one though :popcorn:

Willy is a better passer, better vision and has a better defensive game. People compare Willy and Kessel I believe from their snap shots. I think Nylander will be a way better overall player than Kessel has ever been. Plus Willy is a C which is a naturally more valuable position and he's surprisingly doing quite well with his winning %

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Equally as impressed with Willie's defensive game and back checking tonight .. He was all over the place. The kid's confidence is beaming. Granted the last two games have been against the Sabres and Flames, it's great to see that he's starting to figure it out at the NHL level. Hopefully he can develop consistency to bring it like he did tonight on almost every other night. Fun to watch. And he's far from one-dimensional. Can shoot, pass, skate, play defense, and win face-offs.

Not worried about Brown.. His speed doesn't look that bad to me, he competes his ass off .. Add in some off-season training and he'll compensate any speed issues with work ethic. Needs to get comfortable handling the puck at the NHL speed though, he's bobbling a lot of pucks. Still - earned that first career point tonight on the empty netter.

Also I also though Gauthier looked really good out there tonight .. Hits that crossbar, made some nice passes. He looks really comfortable at this level and he's got some speed to boot. Will be interesting to see how he moves around once he gets several games in and that initial adrenaline of the NHL wears off.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Grabner reminds me of the Jason Blake era.... They tried to bring over a 25+ goal scorer and he ended up being a flunk, good thing though he is cheap.

It's nice to see all the kids doing well Nylander, Hyman, Leivo, Greening. I have a feeling next season will be different if they continue this and possibly add Stamoks.

Besides the teams being the same, I don't see the similarities at all. They signed Blake because they were trying to make the playoffs, and he actually did play as well here as he did in Long Island. They acquired Grabner via a contract dump, and I'm pretty sure they didn't think he'd put them over the hump of making the playoffs.

Also, as nice of a surprise Greening has been, I don't understand why you would lump in with the prospects.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Can you imagine Babcock with Blake? Blake was a gamer. I am going to say , and it won't be the last time. We lost out on Mcdavid and that was tragic, a tragic loss.

But we got the consolation prize. Or did we? Mike Babcock. Guy talks to this day like he came out of the prairies. He ilke a hall of fame NCAA football coach with a national title or something.

Listen to the way he talks. Its absolutely unreal, and no eastern media guy has snapped on it. Tried to be the big guy and say "hey, he ain't all that grammatically correct"

I have watched the leafs for too many years had too many fights over bad teams cause I beleafed. I can honestly tell you folks a cup is ahead and possibly more of them.

Sure, they might two or three years ahead, but not too many more. I have never seen such impressive stuff from management.

I just want to thank Brendan Shanahan for bringing all these incredible top level people to the MLSE or organization and for being able to convince MLSE that this was the way to go.

AND to get the media and the fans to support it. When we win a Cup Brendan you will undoubtebly be the last to named, but I name you first.

Now.

Brendan the best always make it look easy, anyone who has followed the Leafs as long as I have know, you had the toughest job, you are already a Leaf legend in my mind for bringing incredible talent to Toronto. Thank you. Signed the biggest homer in Leaf history.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
On simply a talent basis Nylander and Marner are razor close.
The one thing that puts Marner ahead of Nylander for me is he plays with more jam. Suprisingly physical for a guy his size and goes to the traffic areas to make plays more often than Nylander. Both will be great players but slight edge to Marner for me.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Just got back from the game

Nylander is insane. His potential is endless. Could be a top 5 scorer every year
Hyman is a beast with hands
Gardiner was unreal again

Was cool to see to my cousin take down Kadri lol

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Brendan, Babs, Lou have created an atmosphere here. Stamkos come on if you want, we almost
don't need you, but hey, be great to have you.

Nylander, watch all his points tonight, he is Brett Hull 2016 he makes you think he is out of the play and then POW, he does it.

Marner, well, he is just going to show the NHL highlight after highlight, I hope we can get someone pretty dynamic in the draft. I am sure we will.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The one thing that puts Marner ahead of Nylander for me is he plays with more jam. Suprisingly physical for a guy his size and goes to the traffic areas to make plays more often than Nylander. Both will be great players but slight edge to Marner for me.

I love marner but willie is doing it in the nhl, advantage nylander.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto

Just wondering, do you think that "jam" is something that will take Marner awhile to find in the NHL?

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Sheldon Keefe is good but did you see Gauthier play tonight? We have three Marlies teams now.

Here is a prediction torontians might get it and attend Marlie playoff games this season. They might, depends again, on media to some extent. But it could be wild. And exciting.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Two #1 dmen? Gardiner looking real good, like when he was playing Boston in the playoffs good!

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Just wondering, do you think that "jam" is something that will take Marner awhile to find in the NHL?

Hard to really say.
Take a guy like Giroux. I dont think he was as engaged innitially as he is today. Not only is he fantastically skilled but what makes him so valueble is the intensity, physicality and willingness to battle in all 3 zones he plays with.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
The Oilers screwed up the draft, so this year tank is not as relevant as the years before...

Its too much of a crapshoot, finishing dead last doesn't mean we will get the top 3.

I'm not setting myself up for disappointment, instead lets enjoy the skills we have even though we are all on team Tank.

And plus Mathew and Laine are not generational talent, the top 8 guys are close in talent this year.

The top 8 are not close to Matthews. I'm happy Nylander is leading the charge right now and I can't wait to see what he's doing next year. But lets not act like Throwing away the beautiful tank job this season isn't unfortunate. I would have much rather lost this game 6-5 than win it 5-2.

The whole crapshot excuse makes no sense either. Why would we want to go from having a worst case scenario of picking 4th go to a worst case scenario of picking 6th or 7th? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Its unfortunate that the Leafs are losing their grip on the 20% chance of winning the draft lottery, but I am alright with the Leafs winning as long as the kids are a major part of it.

If Bernier stands on his head and the team barely wins its sucks, but if its like tonight where Nylander 3 points, Hyman scores, and Brown gets his first NHL point then I dont really have too much to complain about.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Its unfortunate that the Leafs are losing their grip on the 20% chance of winning the draft lottery, but I am alright with the Leafs winning as long as the kids are a major part of it.

If Bernier stands on his head and the team barely wins its sucks, but if its like tonight where Nylander 3 points, Hyman scores, and Brown gets his first NHL point then I dont really have too much to complain about.
I don't mind when Nylander or Hyman are the ones who are getting the goals. I'm actually more frustrated that all of the sudden Bernier is playing much better, when for the majority of the season he couldn't stop anything.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Brendan, Babs, Lou have created an atmosphere here. Stamkos come on if you want, we almost
don't need you, but hey, be great to have you.

Nylander, watch all his points tonight, he is Brett Hull 2016 he makes you think he is out of the play and then POW, he does it.

Marner, well, he is just going to show the NHL highlight after highlight, I hope we can get someone pretty dynamic in the draft. I am sure we will.

Reminded me of Brett Hull tonight also.

Kid's gonna be a star.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I don't mind when Nylander or Hyman are the ones who are getting the goals. I'm actually more frustrated that all of the sudden Bernier is playing much better, when for the majority of the season he couldn't stop anything.

Yeah it can be frustrating, but to be fair the last two games have been against Buffalo and Calgary. Not exactly offensive juggernauts. But the Red Wings game last weekend should have been a loss and the recent Tampa Bay game probably should have been an L.

But as long as the Leafs kids do well I will look at the silver lining. The ridiculous thing is that the Leafs are essentially icing an AHL team, yet they are still looking like they may finish better than Winnipeg and Edmonton. Teams that boast very good nhl players.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah it can be frustrating, but to be fair the last two games have been against Buffalo and Calgary. Not exactly offensive juggernauts. But the Red Wings game last weekend should have been a loss and the recent Tampa Bay game probably should have been an L.

But as long as the Leafs kids do well I will look at the silver lining. The ridiculous thing is that the Leafs are essentially icing an AHL team, yet they are still looking like they may finish better than Winnipeg and Edmonton. Teams that boast very good nhl players.
Bernier didn't start against Buffalo, it was Garret Sparks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad