Post-Game Talk: William Nylander Leads Leafs to Victory AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We play very well against the Ducks, somehow manage to pull an OT point out against the Bruins and beat the Lightning the last time we played them.

no what i mean is - the last few lotteries, the 30th place team hasn't won the lottery.

Edmonton beat out Buffalo/Arizona
Florida Beat out Buffalo
Colorado Beat Out Florida
Edmonton beat out Columbus

actually Edmonton was the last team to retain the 30th overall pick.

so. this is my bright side. IF we lose 30th. we'll win ;)
if we are 30th - we'll win.

lol

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
With all the excitement of the kids (Hyman, Nylander, Carrick, Shoshnikov, and now Gauthier and Valiev), one prospect who does not seem to be leaving much of an impression for me is Connor Brown. He made a good play to contribute to one goal, but he doesn't seem to be making an impact in the games he has played so far. I'm wondering if his skating is the problem.

Is it just me? I'd be curious about everyone else's perspective. I know he's just starting out in the NHL, but if he doesn't start to improve, then I wonder if he will ever live up to the hype (top 6 potential) that we had been hearing before.

Thoughts?

I've never been a fan. Small and average at best skating are bad mix.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
With all the excitement of the kids (Hyman, Nylander, Carrick, Shoshnikov, and now Gauthier and Valiev), one prospect who does not seem to be leaving much of an impression for me is Connor Brown. He made a good play to contribute to one goal, but he doesn't seem to be making an impact in the games he has played so far. I'm wondering if his skating is the problem.

Is it just me? I'd be curious about everyone else's perspective. I know he's just starting out in the NHL, but if he doesn't start to improve, then I wonder if he will ever live up to the hype (top 6 potential) that we had been hearing before.

Thoughts?

He had his leg broken. I would give him the rest of the season before passing judgement. To me, he is middle six winger. Babcock's Dan Cleary

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

Thoughts?

I wouldn't get too worried about it. He's played what, 3 games now? Part of why Brown is so great is his hockey brain and work ethic. Give him an offseason after learning from his first NHL experience and he'll come into camp next year hugely improved

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Grabner reminds me of the Jason Blake era.... They tried to bring over a 25+ goal scorer and he ended up being a flunk, good thing though he is cheap.

It's nice to see all the kids doing well Nylander, Hyman, Leivo, Greening. I have a feeling next season will be different if they continue this and possibly add Stamoks.

lol...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
no what i mean is - the last few lotteries, the 30th place team hasn't won the lottery.

Edmonton beat out Buffalo/Arizona
Florida Beat out Buffalo
Colorado Beat Out Florida
Edmonton beat out Columbus

actually Edmonton was the last team to retain the 30th overall pick.

so. this is my bright side. IF we lose 30th. we'll win ;)
if we are 30th - we'll win.

lol
Of course it the law of averages would be the Oilers finishing 30th overall this season and still winning the 1st overall pick.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Well he certainly put up some compelling evidence for a couple of seasons.

I honestly think the concussion he had ****ed with his development and his head. He was playing great until that concussion, and to me it seems like it took him a full season to get back to where he was before it

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

Thoughts?
Brown looks like a hard worker to me that likes to slow things down. For that reason, I think increased production ( 1 goal tonight) will be coming especially when he displaces Grabner.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Except that we still have to finish last to ensure we can get him at 4. If we keep winning, move up to 4th last or something, and then pick 7th, it would be utterly catastrophic.

Tkachuk, Alex Nylander, Julevi, Chychrun?

Not a disaster ... More importantly is the development of guys like Willie, Sosh, Hyman and even guys like Rielly.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Hiller's error turned out be the difference.

Last two-day break of the season and then the schedule ends with a bang. Does it overwhelm these kids or do they flourish?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Of course it the law of averages would be the Oilers finishing 30th overall this season and still winning the 1st overall pick.

Perhaps a backup plan.
If we can't get Matthews, perhaps we draft Tkachuk and sign Stamkos. If we did that, I'd look to swing a deal maybe for Dvorak (if possible). All of a sudden, Stamkos/Nylander/Dvorak/Gauthier doesn't look to shabby down the middle. Added to JVR/Marner/Tkachuk/Hyman/Kappy/Leo/Brown/Leivo etc.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012

Thoughts?

He will be a Bozak replacement, a GOOD 3rd line center. He has a pretty similar style as him, can play anywhere in the line as well as the PK/PP. If all goes well he will be 100% useful, and a great leader/locker room guy. Future captain/assistant captain material.

He had a very good camp, and it's his first couple NHL games. Can't judge a player in 2-3 games, but the kid is pretty impressive in the AHL.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

Edmonton Reporter.
tumblr_inline_n8l0kk9uvI1r8wkkd.gif

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I wouldn't feel bad if we lost 30th. It's all going to come down to luck and a 1 in 5 chance of getting the first overall pick aren't great odds. The curse of Keon must be broken at some point, maybe this is the year.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
He will be a Bozak replacement, a GOOD 3rd line center. He has a pretty similar style as him, can play anywhere in the line as well as the PK/PP. If all goes well he will be 100% useful, and a great leader/locker room guy. Future captain/assistant captain material.

He had a very good camp, and it's his first couple NHL games. Can't judge a player in 2-3 games, but the kid is pretty impressive in the AHL.

except he's not a centre

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I Agree. Sign him up to a Winnik lite contract!

Winnik was 30 at the start of his new contract. PAP would be 33. Given the decline most players seems to hit at that age, I wouldn't want to give him more than a year.

There's also a history of ex-Leafs UFAs going getting a bigger payday and sucking. MayRay, Santo, even Winnik wasn't look so good in his return. If PAP goes back to the way he was playing a year or two ago, you want as short of a term as possible.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Thoughts?

geez you actually believe not every one of our prospects will develop into a high end player :amazed: the nerve of some fans

just kidding and i agree he doesn't have NHL speed and has an awkward skating style , no biggie if he doesn't pan out though since we have plenty of middle 6 winger prospects

good game tonight against a poor team , Willie has picked up his game and it's great to see

while winning is nice , killing the tank isn't and i think we're missing our leader mentor and uber tank commander Captain , one Mr Dion Phaneuf

no one could lead a cliff drive like our former Captain , it's shocking how little we miss that over rated stiff

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Winnik was 30 at the start of his new contract. PAP would be 33. Given the decline most players seems to hit at that age, I wouldn't want to give him more than a year.

There's also a history of ex-Leafs UFAs going getting a bigger payday and sucking. MayRay, Santo, even Winnik wasn't look so good in his return. If PAP goes back to the way he was playing a year or two ago, you want as short of a term as possible.
I say if Parenteau wants to return and Lou is willing to re-sign him, he should offer nothing more than a 1 year contract. If Parenteau wants at least 2 years I say let him test the UFA market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad