Tribute William Nylander Discussion Thread: Ya Gotta Be Blessed Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2015
I like Nylander.

I really wish he would get a haircut or shave the beard.

I do a double take whenever I see the Philly Mascot.

giphy.gif

Let his hair and beard alone dude, he's in the flow dont ruin it.
beard.gif

But.. Voracek = Gritty
usa_jakub_voracek_0-1.jpg

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Willy does not need Matty. He will end up creating on his own. I hope he does not defer to Matty because we need Willy driving play. This is what I fear. We end up losing what is the ONLY thing that we have right now.

It is only a short matter of time before Willy has his own line.

Marner and Tavares will work but they need someone to create open ice. I fear Kappy is not the right match.

Hyman Tavares Marner - it works ( may be in game adjustment)
Matty Willy Kappy - shift Matty to wing whenever he gets lazy like Ducks game - let Willy drive da line

I agree. I like Willy when he doesn't defer. He does that when he plays with Matthews.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
1 if he doesn't look faster this year maybe you're looking at a different player
2 an example genetics is what it is. Unless they are using PED's they will be slaves to genetics
3 thanks for letting me know what did and or didn't happen in my life
4 stop being obtuse. I said absorbing MORE contact. I did not compare him to Nylander or Matthews.
So you're pretty much giving Marner the excuse of genetics when you have no clue?
And you're the one being obtuse with your fangirl crush on Marner. He absorbs contact and loses the puck. He doesn't actually retain the puck when absorbing more contact. Open your eyes next time you watch a game little one.

Reactions: stickty111

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Nylander could be a huge difference maker in the playoffs this season. All 3 years he has underwhelmed. Remember all this criticism LAST season against Boston? And rightly so, he didn't look great.

Come April though he could really blow up. Arguably the only bright spot lately for us at this moment

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
So you're pretty much giving Marner the excuse of genetics when you have no clue?
And you're the one being obtuse with your fangirl crush on Marner. He absorbs contact and loses the puck. He doesn't actually retain the puck when absorbing more contact. Open your eyes next time you watch a game little one.
Lol.
I'm sorry I hurt your feeling. I didn't mean to. If attacking me helps you go for it.
Check my post before you criticize. I'm actually a Nylander fan. Always have been always will be.
But keep making up whatever make you able to look at yourself in the mirror

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Nylander could be a huge difference maker in the playoffs this season. All 3 years he has underwhelmed. Remember all this criticism LAST season against Boston? And rightly so, he didn't look great.

Come April though he could really blow up. Arguably the only bright spot lately for us at this moment
Nylander has been our best even strength player in the playoffs

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
A death sentence?

Hyman Matthews Spezza
Clifford Tavares Marner
Kerfoot Nylander Kappy
roll them and toss in
Engvall Goat Malgin
as needed to sub in.

There would be a lot of substitutions in this scenario, primarily Spezza and Clifford, but I think you could revolve Willie into Jason's spot for 3 minutes a game (with the addition of Malgin for another two), Engvall can join JT and MM on occasion and running three Cs of Matthews, JT and WN does have, for me, an appeal.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I would love to see Willy center his own line.

Tavares - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Nylander - Kapanen

Could be interesting.
Could work too I think ... although if we switch Tavares now it is 5 more years of it ... i thought we'd have to switch JT in a couple more years to LW not today ... Hyman JT and Marner works ... last year it was our best line. They each bring skills that compliment each other. To me it was best thing that Babs did for us.

Reactions: saffronleaf

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I agree. I like Willy when he doesn't defer. He does that when he plays with Matthews.
Shift Matty to LW with Willy as his centre ... let Matty focus on going to net and scoring more goals. No one is going to like this but Willy is skating better and he is stronger on da puck right now. and bottom line he is creating every shift.

Reactions: definedMF

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Funny how all the naysayers have evaporated on this guy.

Seems like its now shifted to Marner and rightfully so.

Nylander has quickly become an untouchable on this team due to his play and contract. Marner has gone the opposite direction.

Wonder if Marner regrets holding the Leafs hostage in contract talks. Maybe he should have listened less to his father and the pressure wouldn't be as it is today.

All in all Nylander has become a star and it will continue to rise. Placing him back with Matthews is a slick move and it will be proven starting tonight. Maybe Marner and Tavares need one another to get going.

Lets pray.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Why on earth would you do this?
Because he played like a candy *ss last 3 games. Even worse he cost us a point in the last game which Willy could not recover. A coach needs to let him know he is only 1 guy on this TEAM. Maybe Keefe is not da guy.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Because he played like a candy *ss last 3 games. Even worse he cost us a point in the last game which Willy could not recover. A coach needs to let him know he is only 1 guy on this TEAM. Maybe Keefe is not da guy.

So 3 bad games outweighs the other 66 games he's played this season? Moving Matthews off centre is probably the dumbest change to the lineup you could make.

Reactions: LeafGrief

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
So 3 bad games outweighs the other 66 games he's played this season? Moving Matthews off centre is probably the dumbest change to the lineup you could make.
Maybe but it would send a very loud and clear message to Matty and team what it takes to be a pro. I don't think he has ever been pounded in his life. I mean beat up bad. Maybe he needs to be wiped out. He talks da right things but does not do them consistently. Just because you make more $$$ does not mean you are entitled. Rielly and Tavares have much less skill but they have learned to give er when times are tough. We as a team will never win anything until Matty learns this lesson.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Not sure I follow. I believe they are expecting 'naysayers' to be on him now.
Nylander played well for two whole years as a rookie and sophomore, and had a chorus of naysayers the entire time. It is somewhat surprising, though certainly a relief, that he has finally managed to silence some of the criticism, which has been unfairly targeted and harsh in the past. It is tongue-in-cheek to suggest that the naysayers would still be attacking him now when he has been one of our best players. But frankly, it's not than tongue-in-cheek because Leafs nation is insane.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nylander played well for two whole years as a rookie and sophomore, and had a chorus of naysayers the entire time. It is somewhat surprising, though certainly a relief, that he has finally managed to silence some of the criticism, which has been unfairly targeted and harsh in the past. It is tongue-in-cheek to suggest that the naysayers would still be attacking him now when he has been one of our best players. But frankly, it's not than tongue-in-cheek because Leafs nation is insane.
It's not surprising he wasn't very good and had a number of flaws. People see that and point it out.
He's much better now, nothing really to point out.
The player has evolved and so has the views people hold of him.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Maybe but it would send a very loud and clear message to Matty and team what it takes to be a pro. I don't think he has ever been pounded in his life. I mean beat up bad. Maybe he needs to be wiped out. He talks da right things but does not do them consistently. Just because you make more $$$ does not mean you are entitled. Rielly and Tavares have much less skill but they have learned to give er when times are tough. We as a team will never win anything until Matty learns this lesson.
Matthews has been the most consistent Maple Leaf on the team this year and if he's second it's only to the man in the thread title. Matthews had a terrible giveaway and a mediocre three games, but holding him to ridiculous standards and treating him differently than all the others is foolish. Every single Maple Leaf has had bad games and made terrible plays this year. Tyson Barrie is a giveaway machine and crap defensively, yet he's playing 20+ minutes every night. Marner coughs up the puck, JT looks lost, Kerfoot sucks, all these guys are out there making mistakes and they're not getting benched or demoted, or shifted out of their playing spots. Matthews is playing like a Hart trophy candidate this year and a single bad giveaway does not mean that he needs to be treated like a rookie defenseman. He's been our best player by a goddamn mile this year, he should be given the C, not benched. Sheesh.

Reactions: Jojalu and Loosie

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Matthews has been the most consistent Maple Leaf on the team this year and if he's second it's only to the man in the thread title. Matthews had a terrible giveaway and a mediocre three games, but holding him to ridiculous standards and treating him differently than all the others is foolish. Every single Maple Leaf has had bad games and made terrible plays this year. Tyson Barrie is a giveaway machine and crap defensively, yet he's playing 20+ minutes every night. Marner coughs up the puck, JT looks lost, Kerfoot sucks, all these guys are out there making mistakes and they're not getting benched or demoted, or shifted out of their playing spots. Matthews is playing like a Hart trophy candidate this year and a single bad giveaway does not mean that he needs to be treated like a rookie defenseman. He's been our best player by a goddamn mile this year, he should be given the C, not benched. Sheesh.
He played like dog sh*t for 3 games straight ... not an ounce of pride in the jersey or TEAM ... I expect much much more from my best player

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
It's not surprising he wasn't very good and had a number of flaws. People see that and point it out.
He's much better now, nothing really to point out.
The player has evolved and so has the views people hold of him.
Come again?

You're right that he's better now, and it's good that the narrative on him is finally changing. Players and fans are certainly allowed to evolve with the times. But to say that Nylander "wasn't very good" is exactly what I'm talking about. You're right that he had a number of flaws, but "not very good" for a rookie/sophomore with 61 points sounds ridiculous.

The joke is that if a 61 point player is "not very good" it's surprising that there are finally no naysayers. Figured that there would be something to complain about now that he's just okay.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Come again?

You're right that he's better now, and it's good that the narrative on him is finally changing. Players and fans are certainly allowed to evolve with the times. But to say that Nylander "wasn't very good" is exactly what I'm talking about. You're right that he had a number of flaws, but "not very good" for a rookie/sophomore with 61 points sounds ridiculous.

The joke is that if a 61 point player is "not very good" it's surprising that there are finally no naysayers. Figured that there would be something to complain about now that he's just okay.
It's just words relative to expectations.
Marner 'isn't very good' right now. That doesn't mean he 'isn't very good'.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He played like dog sh*t for 3 games straight ... not an ounce of pride in the jersey or TEAM ... I expect much much more from my best player
List the Maple Leafs who didn't play like dogshit and then list your punishment plan for each and every Leaf who did suck.

Singling out your best player for unique punishment in the middle of a collective suck-fest is ridiculous. They scored three goals on the whole damn road trip and Matthews had two points. They should bag-skate the lot of them until they puke their guts out, as a TEAM, but holding Matthews up for individual criticism is a colossal blunder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad