Tribute William Nylander Discussion Thread: Ya Gotta Be Blessed Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I am a Nylander detractor. I want to believe Nylander can get to 50 points again. I don't ever see him getting to 60 points, and he will probably never score 30 goals in this league.

Soft/

perimeter NHLers don't have enough push in their game to score 30 goals. Matthews can get 35+ goals because of his wicked shot and his size.

That quoted text from the article really didn't sound very spiteful to me :huh:
Maybe it sounds like spite because he said things like that

Mar 14, 2015
Maybe it sounds like spite because he said things like that
Ahh makes sense now...
coffee.gif

@heybuddyhowyadoing

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019
Why are we comparing nylander to marner? I mean I get the idea some posters have a favorite player and want that player to be the best, but it seems strange to me. They are both great hockey players on our team. We are lucky to have them both.
Shouldn't be be comparing nylander to vesey, as that's who the pundits were saying would make nylander expendable if the leafs acquired him?

Mitch is my favourite player but there is no denying that Willy has been absolutely amazing and definitely better than Marner over the last 15 games i'd say. I love how strong he is(can't move him off the puck), great agility, passing, et. Whatever he was doing in the offseason, he should tell Mitch to do the same because Mitch is looking weak, tired, often times slow and quite sloppy.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Mitch is my favourite player but there is no denying that Willy has been absolutely amazing and definitely better than Marner over the last 15 games i'd say. I love how strong he is(can't move him off the puck), great agility, passing, et. Whatever he was doing in the offseason, he should tell Mitch to do the same because Mitch is looking weak, tired, often times slow and quite sloppy.
I think there is a lifestyle adjustment to becoming an instant multimillionaire.
I have little doubt marner will keep getting stronger, but vs willie, the genetics are on the nylander side

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I think there is a lifestyle adjustment to becoming an instant multimillionaire.
I have little doubt marner will keep getting stronger, but vs willie, the genetics are on the nylander side
Marner could have the worst genetics possible but if he had spent the past 4 years getting stronger it would still make a difference in his game. It's obvious he hasn't.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
Did Nylander spend time with Sundin or Forsberg or something? He's becoming really good at puck possession especially on the boards. I hope this continues and is a regular thing because the man has aptitude for this type of power style.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Did Nylander spend time with Sundin or Forsberg or something? He's becoming really good at puck possession especially on the boards. I hope this continues and is a regular thing because the man has aptitude for this type of power style.

Nylander can be good when he wants to be.... he has the talent he just needs to have the motivation and work ethic

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Marner could have the worst genetics possible but if he had spent the past 4 years getting stronger it would still make a difference in his game. It's obvious he hasn't.
He was 160lbs at the combine and now is 175lbs. Hes faster than before and stronger than before. To say that he has not worked on it is a mistake, but he can only grow to what his genetics will allow.

Reactions: MarnerElite

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
He was 160lbs at the combine and now is 175lbs. Hes faster than before and stronger than before. To say that he has not worked on it is a mistake, but he can only grow to what his genetics will allow.
15lbs in 4 years is good to you? His shot still looks the same, ditto for his strength.

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019
15lbs in 4 years is good to you? His shot still looks the same, ditto for his strength.

I agree that it's still not good enough but he was actually even weaker before(like in his first season) believe it or not..So not a huge improvement, i agree, but with him it seems a combination of things..For example he's never had a good shot(he really needs to work on that) but when he actually digs in and tries getting pucks in the corners, he's not as weak as he used to be(similar to how some thought Willy just can't win any battles...it's not that they cannot..more like saltming explained, something has changed in this kid as his work rate is nowhere near consistent as it was before he got paid). Now I"m not saying he'll outmuscle guys like Chara or something, but i've seen him go in the corners and win way more battles before he got paid. So it's partly this money thing(or perhaps he's playing injured?) and partly that he still does need to get bigger/stronger and work on his shot.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Everyone already knows this, but I was just watching a highlight reel of Willy's 30 goals and holy.... He really was a front of the net fiend. Whether it's taking it to the net, or just planting himself there, he was battling.

It's unfortunate that our big 4 are rarely all playing great hockey at the same time. Props to Nylander though. He's been really good all year and has looked elite these past couple of games.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Nylander has shot past Marner this year. Has has looked the better player hands down.

Marner is a year younger and we complained about Nylander last season so hopefully a good summer in the gym and some more maturity will take him to another level next season. Mitch has holes in his game this is evident now.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
We are talking genetic.
I would weight lift my ass off and could only gain 8 to 10 pounds over years of working out. It is what it is when it come to genetics.
I would say his shot is a touch heavier, but needs to work on his release. Hes a bit slow there.
Can you deny hes faster this year? Also I see him absorbing more contact than previous years. This would lead to the conclusion that he is stronger.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
We are talking genetic.
I would weight lift my ass off and could only gain 8 to 10 pounds over years of working out. It is what it is when it come to genetics.
I would say his shot is a touch heavier, but needs to work on his release. Hes a bit slow there.
Can you deny hes faster this year? Also I see him absorbing more contact than previous years. This would lead to the conclusion that he is stronger.
1. He doesn't look faster this year.
2. Why are you comparing yourself to a professional athlete
3. Unless you legit don't eat all, there's no way you can only gain 8-10lbs in 4 years. Athletes go through that in a year all the time.
4. He absorbs contact? What is he a sponge or something? He loses the puck all the time, Nylander absorbs contact, Matthews absorbs contact, even Tavares absorbs contact. Marner doesn't do this. If you lean on the guy he'll peel off.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Willy does not need Matty. He will end up creating on his own. I hope he does not defer to Matty because we need Willy driving play. This is what I fear. We end up losing what is the ONLY thing that we have right now.

It is only a short matter of time before Willy has his own line.

Marner and Tavares will work but they need someone to create open ice. I fear Kappy is not the right match.

Hyman Tavares Marner - it works ( may be in game adjustment)
Matty Willy Kappy - shift Matty to wing whenever he gets lazy like Ducks game - let Willy drive da line

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Willy does not need Matty. He will end up creating on his own. I hope he does not defer to Matty because we need Willy driving play. This is what I fear. We end up losing what is the ONLY thing that we have right now.

It is only a short matter of time before Willy has his own line.

Marner and Tavares will work but they need someone to create open ice. I fear Kappy is not the right match.

Hyman Tavares Marner - it works ( may be in game adjustment)
Matty Willy Kappy - shift Matty to wing whenever he gets lazy like Ducks game - let Willy drive da line

I would love to see Willy center his own line.

Tavares - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Nylander - Kapanen

Could be interesting.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
1. He doesn't look faster this year.
2. Why are you comparing yourself to a professional athlete
3. Unless you legit don't eat all, there's no way you can only gain 8-10lbs in 4 years. Athletes go through that in a year all the time.
4. He absorbs contact? What is he a sponge or something? He loses the puck all the time, Nylander absorbs contact, Matthews absorbs contact, even Tavares absorbs contact. Marner doesn't do this. If you lean on the guy he'll peel off.
1 if he doesn't look faster this year maybe you're looking at a different player
2 an example genetics is what it is. Unless they are using PED's they will be slaves to genetics
3 thanks for letting me know what did and or didn't happen in my life
4 stop being obtuse. I said absorbing MORE contact. I did not compare him to Nylander or Matthews.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I like Nylander.

I really wish he would get a haircut or shave the beard.

I do a double take whenever I see the Philly Mascot.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad