Tribute William Nylander Discussion Thread: Ya Gotta Be Blessed Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
It's just words relative to expectations.
Marner 'isn't very good' right now. That doesn't mean he 'isn't very good'.
Damning by faint praise is still damning. Nylander has always been held under the microscope in ways that none of the others have and there was an epic amount of nonsense last year. I'm all for discussing players objectively and analysing their flaws and weaknesses, but Nylander has always, always struggled to get any credit around here. He's got his cheerleaders and the masses are finally coming around, but people have been out for his blood far more than made any sense.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Damning by faint praise is still damning. Nylander has always been held under the microscope in ways that none of the others have and there was an epic amount of nonsense last year. I'm all for discussing players objectively and analysing their flaws and weaknesses, but Nylander has always, always struggled to get any credit around here. He's got his cheerleaders and the masses are finally coming around, but people have been out for his blood far more than made any sense.
People exaggerate their points both positive and negative, such is life on a message board.
It's currently being done with Marner.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
List the Maple Leafs who didn't play like dogshit and then list your punishment plan for each and every Leaf who did suck.

Singling out your best player for unique punishment in the middle of a collective suck-fest is ridiculous. They scored three goals on the whole damn road trip and Matthews had two points. They should bag-skate the lot of them until they puke their guts out, as a TEAM, but holding Matthews up for individual criticism is a colossal blunder.
If your best player gets a free pass then everyone else on team sees that da coach did nothing and it is ok ... at some point leaders have to lead or we are going nowhere but out of playoffs ... look i luv Matty but he needs some tough luv right now ... like i said maybe Keefe is not da guy to do it

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Shift Matty to LW with Willy as his centre ... let Matty focus on going to net and scoring more goals. No one is going to like this but Willy is skating better and he is stronger on da puck right now. and bottom line he is creating every shift.
It has always been my position to do just this. Both players would be better for it IMO.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It has always been my position to do just this. Both players would be better for it IMO.
He has been our best forward now for a month. In fact in many games he is are only real threat. I have always been a proponent of going with your best and going hard with your best. That does change somewhat on a per game basis. Keefe much better than Babs at it. But rewarding the best always works in hockey (and in life too). Other guys will strive to get to same level and it lifts a team up. Playing guys a lot because they produced last month is not a recipe for success. Sorry I know this is not popular school thinking and not for everyone gets a participation award crowd. As my old coach used to say we keep score for a reason. If it didn't matter we would not track it.

Reactions: Marcus

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
Can't wait until we have a LW worthy of their line beside Hyman.... we need a prospect or soupy to come back to finish the top 6 off for playoffs.

Zach - JT / Willy
Zach - Matty / Mitchy

All that works to perfection.

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
He has been our best forward now for a month. In fact in many games he is are only real threat. I have always been a proponent of going with your best and going hard with your best. That does change somewhat on a per game basis. Keefe much better than Babs at it. But rewarding the best always works in hockey (and in life too). Other guys will strive to get to same level and it lifts a team up. Playing guys a lot because they produced last month is not a recipe for success. Sorry I know this is not popular school thinking and not for everyone gets a participation award crowd. As my old coach used to say we keep score for a reason. If it didn't matter we would not track it.
I'm old school just like you. I think there's a lot more of "us" here than you think. Lots of old guys. It's just that the participation award crowd is more vocal.

Reactions: Marcus

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Oh I don't know but I seem to remember certain individuals (not you) using the "sample size" argument as long as it's in their favour and ignoring it when it's not.

If I'm wrong let me know!
No idea, just thought it was a weird arbitrary number. (Not to mention that if Feshchuk psted anything about another player it would quickly be mocked and dismissed.)
Why not just list the 70 games? He's played well this year, he doesn't need to be propped up.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Can't wait until we have a LW worthy of their line beside Hyman.... we need a prospect or soupy to come back to finish the top 6 off for playoffs.

Zach - JT / Willy
Zach - Matty / Mitchy

All that works to perfection.
Hyman is playing much better hockey than John Tavares these days. Let em be

Reactions: Matte99

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
noticed a change in his attitude i find more interesting than his goals.

seems like he finally feels part of the team as a go-to guy. eager to jump the bench at all times like how matthews forces himself on the ice.

under babcock hed just have his head down during crucial times. now he's right in the middle of everything scheming solutions and getting results.

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
No idea, just thought it was a weird arbitrary number. (Not to mention that if Feshchuk psted anything about another player it would quickly be mocked and dismissed.)
Why not just list the 70 games? He's played well this year, he doesn't need to be propped up.
Understood.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario

The number, if anything but all games, should reflect since Babcock left.

Reactions: ACC1224

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

He’s projecting as a Point per game player for some time now. That shot and release is quick,hard and accurate (most night) ;). but he is and was worth every cent of his contract from the beginning.

Marner and Matthews are worth theirs too. Elite scorer and franchise center check. Elite passer and multi tooled franchise right winger,check.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

it’s weird, I’m sure you were one of the ones saying “marner has been on 84 game pace for half a season” type posts when he was playing with kadri, why wasn’t the whole season used the

if you weren’t one of those talking about marners pace then I apologize but there were more than a few.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
it’s weird, I’m sure you were one of the ones saying “marner has been on 84 game pace for half a season” type posts when he was playing with kadri, why wasn’t the whole season used the

if you weren’t one of those talking about marners pace then I apologize but there were more than a few.
Wasn’t me, just genuinely curious. Not everything is sinister, sometimes a question is just that.
As mentioned earlier it’s probably from Keefes tenure. Regardless, shouldn’t need a tweet to know Nylanders playing well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad