Speculation: William Karlsson/VGK salary arbitration filings Player ask: $6.5M Team offer: $3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Give him the money, not the term. The likelihood of him repeating last season seems very unlikely

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Put me in the camp for Karlsson on this one. His ask is totally reasonable based upon his season.

He almost certainly wont repeat his goalscoring based on his SH%, but he is still going to be their number 1 center, get tons of scoring opportunities, and is very good defensively. He is in a completely different role on VGK then he was in CLB, I have no doubt he will be worth at the very least 6.5mil next year.

Reactions: McNuge

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
6-6.5 two year deal. I'd give him money but no way more years for a guy who just had one good season while being mediocre every other time.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Yeah, playing with 3rd and 4th liners... Last year he was the #1C on the best team in the west and excelled in the role. His shooting% was high for sure, but when it normalizes he is still a 25+ goal guy who nearly put up a PPG last season and was excellent defensively.
I doesn’t matter. Ever hear of one year wonders? As a GM, you need to be mindful of your cap and future deals by not setting a president. The only thing is they have cap room right now. It can go quickly though.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I doesn’t matter. Ever hear of one year wonders? As a GM, you need to be mindful of your cap and future deals by not setting a president. The only thing is they have cap room right now. It can go quickly though.

Yeah 1 year wonders who completely feed off of elite players. Cheechoo got pucks bounced off of his ass by Thorton who is going to go down as one of the best passers ever. What elite players does Vegas have? Karlsson was in a bottom 6 role in Columbus for 2 years. The guy is 25 and took his team to the Stanley Cup Finals as his teams #1C, and just scored 43 goals. An expansion team that everyone thought was going to be crap to start the year.

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
23% shooting percentage is unsustainable and hes done nothing the rest of his career. Id give him the 6.5 but no more than 2-3 years

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Yeah 1 year wonders who completely feed off of elite players. Cheechoo got pucks bounced off of his ass by Thorton who is going to go down as one of the best passers ever. What elite players does Vegas have? Karlsson was in a bottom 6 role in Columbus for 2 years. The guy is 25 and took his team to the Stanley Cup Finals as his teams #1C, and just scored 43 goals. An expansion team that everyone thought was going to be crap to start the year.
Looks like you don’t mind overpaying players. I don’t mind if it’s warranted. A raise is warranted. He will even out, if not, then he will make his money. You must be extatic on the deals Oilers have given out over the years. I would think you’d be more cautious.

Last edited:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Man if they have the chance to lock up this guy long term around the 6M mark they will be laughing. I don’t think he’ll be good for 43G each season, but watching him play this season he looked like such a smart and well rounder player. Keep him with competent line mates and I bet he’s good for 30G 60P per year.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Over 23% shooting percentage is unsustainable.
this seems to be getting overlooked a ton...highest shooting percentage of any player with 80+GP since the early 90's

he's good, if someone offered me even money that he'd reach 40 goals again I would be a lot against it

that said, the ask seems very reasonable for what he probably settles into being, nobody bats an eye at $6M for a bonafide 2nd line center

it wasn't an elite player he fed off of, it was elite luck. A much higher percentage of pucks went in the net when he shot them, and when he was on the ice, than is ever likely to happen again for him over a season long stretch. The results were better than the play (which was still pretty good, don't get me wrong, just needs to be acknowledged that he did less to earn his point totals than other guys who earned similar totals)

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't care if he's not totally proven. He scored over 40 goals and was a beast in the playoffs. Ceci's ask was ridiculous. Karlsson's was reasonable. In this case, it is the Knights that are giving the unreasonable number imo

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Should get a bridge deal at 5.5. If he repeats they better pay him as a 40 goal scorer

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Arbitraitor will side closer to Karlsson IMO.

Then be fired by the NHL

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Vegas simply should walk away from Karlsson 6,5 mill, its just crazy money.

New franchise, it would be stupid from McMphee starting to steer the ship
the wrong way from early on, play it smart, don't give in to this new money hoarding/grabbing NHL.

Like someone mentioned previously, they are not currently in any troubles
but in few (3) years they just might be.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Should get a bridge deal at 5.5. If he repeats they better pay him as a 40 goal scorer

2 years at 5.5-6 would make sense. Buys no UFA years, and is enough time for Karlsson to prove himself but not long enough to cost him a whole lot of money

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Looks like you don’t mind overpaying players. I don’t mind if it’s warranted. A raise is warranted. He will even put, if not, then he will make his money. You must be extatic on the deals Oilers have given out over the years. I would think you’d be more cautious.

You are right $3.5 is appropriate for a 43 goal scorer, who was the #1C on the Western Conference Champs, almost a PPG this year, and a very good playoffs. Played on the PP and PK, was +13 over the next closest player in the entire league.

How do we get 12 of these players???

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Tough situation for VGK, due to WK having that breakout season. With such a jump compared to the two prior years they're kind of gambling either way.

If he turns into a perennial 35-40 goal guy, they would be really happy if they locked him up long term at 6.5M. But, if they gave into a price like that and that season was a flash in the pan, they're hamstrung by a garbage contract long term.

On the other hand, they play safe now and utilize every inch of this RFA process and get him on a bridge for 1 or 2 years at 5.25-5.5 (guessing arbitrator will go a little above the 50% mark of the gap with the 40 goals). If he continues on that pace and the normal inflation of the league salaries continues, they might be paying him 8.5+.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I don't care if he's not totally proven. He scored over 40 goals and was a beast in the playoffs. Ceci's ask was ridiculous. Karlsson's was reasonable. In this case, it is the Knights that are giving the unreasonable number imo
Seems a little reckless. They have a good GM. He won’t ruin his cap.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
You are right $3.5 is appropriate for a 43 goal scorer, who was the #1C on the Western Conference Champs, almost a PPG this year, and a very good playoffs. Played on the PP and PK, was +13 over the next closest player in the entire league.

How do we get 12 of these players???
You have had some. Some didn’t even score as much as him and yet the last two GM’s on your team have given out $$$$ like candy. LOL.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Will be interesting to see a decision if they don't agree before. Pretty unusual case to have such a year over year progression. Not like he had an elite passer suddenly feeding him. Who could he be compared with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad