Will Zetterberg Be A HHOF'er?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He was a very good 2way forward. Not sure he is HOF caliber. I would say he is borderline.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
This seems like a toss-up. He was never considered a dominant player and had half the hype of players like Toews, Modano or Sundin. The type of player where the SC and Conn Smythe may make the difference

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Given that they induct 3-4 people each year, at least 10 people from those 5 years have to go in, even if this period is relatively weak.
So who do we put in HHOF ahead of Zetterberg? Sedins, Datsyuk, Lundqvist, Miller, Keith. That's 6. Who else is clearly ahead of Zetterberg? Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, Ward, and Markov? Not that clear to me.

Are we really going to put Miller in HOF? I guess 18th all time in wins, a Vezina and generally strong GAA/SV% career may get him in but I feel like he's spent most of this decade being overrated.

Last edited:

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
"Hall of very good"/ borderline people should show their work or perhaps stay silent. I've said it before: the HHOF inducts 3-4 NHLers each year. I grabbed notable names drafted +/- 5 years of Zetterberg (I may have missed a couple). I'm not saying all of these guys will be in the HHOF. And, of course, there will be older players (e.g. Jagr) and players like Hayley Wickenheiser that get admitted too. About 30+ NHL players drafted in those years (i.e. many of the names below) will likely make it in. Can you find that many people to put ahead of Zetterberg?

- Daniel Alfredson
- Patrik Elias
- Tim Thomas

- Jarome Iginla
- Shane Doan
- Jean-Sebastien Giguere
- Miikka Kiprusoff

- Zdeno Chara

- Joe Thornton
- Marian Hossa
- Patrick Marleau
- Roberto Luongo

- Vincent Lecavalier
- Brad Richards
- Pavel Datsyuk

- Henrik Sedin
- Daniel Sedin
- Henrik Zetterberg
- Ryan Miller

- Marian Gaborik
- Henrik Lundqvist

- Jason Spezza
- Ilya Kovalchuk

- Rick Nash
- Duncan Keith

2003 draft
- Eric Staal
- Ryan Getzlaf
- Corey Perry
- Patrice Bergeron
- Marc-Andre Fleury
- Shea Weber

2004 draft
- Alex Ovechkin
- Evgeni Malkin
- Pekka Rinne

Sundin is in. Toews will get in. Therefore Z will get in. They are all borderline or less but were well respected by "hockey people".

I'm not even close to a Leafs fan, but Mats Sundin was in no way borderline. Come on.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
PPG finishes among players who played at least 40 games:

Sundin:

10, 12, 13, 13, 17, 17, 18, 20, 23, 23, 23, 28, 29, 39, 49, 52, 88, 105

Zetterberg:

5, 5, 10, 13, 19, 21, 22, 24, 25, 31, 31, 61, 105, 120, 140

Scoring race finishes:

Sundin:

4, 7, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 20, 23, 25, 27, 28, 31, 35, 38, 40, 71, 273

Zetterberg:

6, 9, 15, 20, 25, 25, 25, 29, 30, 53, 88, 96, 103, 121, 127

Hart voting finishes:

Sundin:

8, 12, 16, 18, 18

Zetterberg:

10, 16, 20, 22, 23

All-Star voting finishes:

Sundin:

AS-2, AS-2, AS-5, AS-6, AS-7, AS-7

Zetterberg:

AS-2, AS-3, AS-4, AS-5, AS-7, AS-7, AS-8, AS-9, AS-9, AS-10

Selke voting finishes:

Sundin:

32, 37

Zetterberg:

3, 4, 7, 9, 9, 12, 14, 18, 32, 43

Awards:

Sundin:

Messier Leadership Award

Zetterberg:

Conn Smythe
King Clancy

Playoffs:

Sundin:

38 goals, 44 assists, 82 points, +2 in 91 games

Zetterberg:

57 goals, 63 assists, 120 points, +41 in 137 games

Number of times leading a team in scoring:

Sundin:

Zetterberg:

The argument can be made that Zetterberg had the better NHL career of the two, but Sundin's International career is decidedly better than Z's.

Olympics:

Sundin:

16 GP, 11 G, 9 A, 20 P, +5

Zetterberg:

17 GP, 5 G, 4 A, 9 P, +7

W-Cup:

Sundin:

8 GP, 5 G, 8 A, 13 P, +1

Zetterberg:

4 GP, 1 G, 1 A, 2 P, -7

WC-A

Sundin:

35 GP, 18 G, 26 A, 44 P, +10

Zetterberg:

52 GP, 11 G, 33 A, 44 P, +17

The elephant in the room you aren't mentioning is this:

Sundin
Games: 1346
Goals: 564
Assists: 785
Points per game: 1.002

Zetterberg
Games: 1082
Goals: 337
Assists: 623
Points per game: 0.887

There really isn't a way to mask over the substantial discrepancy in the production stats of these two players you are comparing.

Sundin has the scoring stats of a typical Hall of Fame player, Zetterberg doesn't (he never even broke 100 points in a single season, has well under 1 ppg and didn't score 1000 points). Now Zetterberg will get their based on being a key guy for a team that had a ton of success and for (like Sundin) being quite successful on the world stage, but it is pretty inarguable that 1 for 1 Sundin way outperformed Zetterberg over their careers.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
The elephant in the room you aren't mentioning is this:

Sundin

Zetterberg
Games: 1082
Goals: 337
Assists: 623
Points per game: 0.887

There really isn't a way to mask over the substantial discrepancy in the production stats of these two players you are comparing.

Sundin has the scoring stats of a typical Hall of Fame player, Zetterberg doesn't (he never even broke 100 points in a single season, has well under 1 ppg and didn't score 1000 points). Now Zetterberg will get their based on being a key guy for a team that had a ton of success and for (like Sundin) being quite successful on the world stage, but it is pretty inarguable that 1 for 1 Sundin way outperformed Zetterberg over their careers.
Zetterberg was a great player outside of his team success though. Sure it helped, but he was arguably more impactful and better than Datsyuk during his prime. He was by far one of the best two way players in the league for a few years, it’s unfortunate he doesn’t have much to show for it.

I agree though. His stats are sorely lacking. But his production is pretty good overall for the era he played in. He was consistent, just wasn’t consistent enough to reach those big milestones.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
This seems like a toss-up. He was never considered a dominant player and had half the hype of players like Toews, Modano or Sundin. The type of player where the SC and Conn Smythe may make the difference
He was absolutely considered a dominant player for a couple of years on both ends of the ice. He just wasn’t putting up the huge numbers like Crosby/Ovi And wasn’t flashy like Datsyuk, but he was just as skilled and impactful.

Toews is mostly hype, but I wouldn’t call Sundin or Modano “hyped.” Sundin was one of the top centers for a majority of his career while being one of the best Swedes to ever play, while Modano was, if not the best scoring American born player ever. As well as being a two way stud. If anything Zetterberg is a notch below Modano, In terms of player to player.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Zetterberg was drafted at round 7, with the 210th pick overall. Lets assume he will be elected to the HHOF, would that 210 be a record, or is there any players in the HHOF who have been picked later in the draft?

Makarov was elected this year, and was drafted at #231.

Prior to Makarov, Hasek (199th) held the record as the latest draft pick to go in.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Great player but he's not quite there. Had he breached 1,000 points and at LEAST 400 goals, that's when I'd start considering him.
If not for back injuries he likely breaks 1000 points this upcoming season. The whole "1000 points" marker is arbitrary. A measly 40 points is not the difference between him getting in or not.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Zetterberg was a great player outside of his team success though. Sure it helped, but he was arguably more impactful and better than Datsyuk during his prime. He was by far one of the best two way players in the league for a few years, it’s unfortunate he doesn’t have much to show for it.

I agree though. His stats are sorely lacking. But his production is pretty good overall for the era he played in. He was consistent, just wasn’t consistent enough to reach those big milestones.
Zetterberg was an elite player in the NHL for a long time, but this is the Hall of Fame, everyone even considered for candidacy is supposed to be elite; look at guys like Mogilny and Turgeon who aren't even in. Given Zetterberg being one of the two core guys on a team with a long track record of excellence, he will get in I have no argument about that, but it is hard to claim that he has the numbers to justify being in the Hall of Fame on those terms, particularly looking at the much more gaudy stats of some other guys on the outside looking in, and comparing his production to Sundin is frankly ridiculous; Mats Sundin unequivocally put up better numbers then Zetterberg. Sundin didn't have the Stanly Cup ring to help his case (although he did have that Olympic gold which shows he could win on a big stage), but his sheer individual numbers justify his place in the Hall of Fame in a way that Zetterberg's simply don't.

NOTE: Maybe I was a bit more enamored with Datsyuk; but when he and Zetterberg (and their generation of the Red Wings) were both at their peaks in the mid to late aughts, Datsyuk always seemed like "the guy" whereas Zetterberg was the second best player. Maybe it was Datsyuks elite 2-way game or insane stick-handling that are biasing me a bit, but he always seemed a on a level above Zetterberg in my eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreatGonzo

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
If Sundin is in...
Sundin is in. Toews will get in. Therefore Z will get in. They are all borderline or less but were well respected by "hockey people".
If Sundin's in, Zetterberg is in yesterday.
You and others are saying there is ABSOLUTELY no way he belongs. That’s just objectively wrong.

Lots of people forgetting about him being a member of the Triple Gold club.

Do you think Sundin belongs? Andreychuk absolutely deserves it but Hank absolutely does not? Cmon

Sundin's sheer production stats are in line with a Hall of Famer:

He is in because he unequivocally put up Hall of Fame numbers. He also had international success (Olympic Gold medal, 16 GP, 11 G, 9 A, 20 P, 3x WC gold medal 35 GP, 18 G, 26 A, 44 P). The only knock on him is the lack of a Stanley Cup... which can be made about a lot of Hall of Fame players.

It is continually mystifying why people just ignore Sundin's raw statistics when they compare his production numbers. He was simply scored a lot more points a lot more efficiently then Zetterberg or Toews or Andreychuk and it isn't particularly close.

This really shouldn't be all that controversial: Sundin is deservedly in the Hall of Fame because he flat-out put up Hall of Fame level production and had a fair amount of team success over his career.

Sometimes I wonder if Sundin had played for a team like say Minnesota his entire career if there would be so much "controversy" about him being in the Hall here on HFBoards, because there certainly wasn't among actual voters because Sundin got in on the first ballot.

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

He is in because he unequivocally put up Hall of Fame numbers. He also had international success (Olympic Gold medal, 16 GP, 11 G, 9 A, 20 P, 3x WC gold medal 35 GP, 18 G, 26 A, 44 P). The only knock on him is the lack of a Stanley Cup... which can be made about a lot of Hall of Fame players.

It is continually mystifying why people just ignore Sundin's raw statistics when they compare his production numbers. He was simply scored a lot more points a lot more efficiently then Zetterberg or Toews or Andreychuk and it isn't particularly close.

This really shouldn't be all that controversial: Sundin is deservedly in the Hall of Fame because he flat-out put up Hall of Fame level production and had a fair amount of team success over his career.

Sometimes I wonder if Sundin had played for a team like say Minnesota his entire career if there would be so much "controversy" about him being in the Hall here on HFBoards, because there certainly wasn't among actual voters because Sundin got in on the first ballot.
Then why are Roenick and Mogilny not in and Sundin is?

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
They elect 4 players every year.

You do the math.

They will run out of worthy dead puck era guys within the first 2 years.
My favorite take ITT. But, it's kind of true though. Either they scale back how many people they vote in, or people are going to have to adjust their point total expectations for who makes it. To me the voters already know -- I think back to Brian Burke talking about if the Sedins make it with no cups, and he seemed bothered that he had to point out how much the league and game has changed in the past 30 years; how hard it is to win a cup, how hard it is to be so good for so long.

It's a shame Zetterberg didn't get to break 1,000 career points because that would likely make for a lot better visual argument from a stat sheet perspective. As it stands, two cups, Triple Gold Club, and a Conn Smythe is a hefty resume. But you can still see doubters. I think he'll make it in eventually. Not first ballot, but eventually. He's a warrior, a true leader, and a winner.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

Some others brought up Sundin and I presented some statistical information. I don't think Zetterberg's offense is as good, especially considering linemate and teammate support and Sundin's superior durability during his prime, but Zetterberg does have some elite PPG finishes among players that played at least 40 games in seasons.

Both Zetterberg and Sundin are better than HOF'ers Duff, Gillies, Glenn Anderson, Lanny McDonald, Gartner, Andreychuk, Federko, Ciccarelli, Mullen and Nieuwendyk.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
No but I think Zetterberg was better than him.

And Mogilny has a pretty similar resume to Sundin statistically if that's enough...

Sundin has a better Hart voting record and better International career than Zetterberg. He's also better offensively.

Zetterberg has more hardware, more team success and a better Selke voting record.

They're close enough that I don't think it's clear who the better player is (I think a lot of Swedes would say Sundin is better), and I do think Zetterberg will be inducted, as I said in my OP. There are multiple HHOF'ers that both of these players are superior to anyway.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Then why are Roenick and Mogilny not in and Sundin is?
The correct question to ask: Why are these guys not in the Hall of Fame but Nieuwendyk is? Why is Andrewchyuk in? Why is Martin St. Louis in? Why is Dave Andreychuck in? Why is Brendan Shanahan, or Mike Modano in?

These are all contemporary players with less productive careers then Sundin who are in the Hall of Fame (and Roenick also was significantly less productive then Sundin). Now sheer numbers are not the only thing that determine HoF candidacy (and some of these guy have sparkling team success and other factors that justify their inclusion). Sundin's raw numbers and p/gp are in line with a Hall of Famer and he did rack up some major achievements in his career, that is why he was voted into the Hall of Fame. That Mogilny or Roenick (particularly Mogilny) got shafted by voters doesn't change that. Looking at raw stats, the same argument is much harder to make for the guys on the list above or Zetterberg or current players like Toews.

NOTE: The rumor I have heard for Roenick is that his "abrasive" personality may be a factor. It shouldn't be, but it is. The off-ice crap he got into in his career obviously also played a role.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
If not for back injuries he likely breaks 1000 points this upcoming season. The whole "1000 points" marker is arbitrary. A measly 40 points is not the difference between him getting in or not.
Yeah but I didn't say just 1000 points, I said AT LEAST 400 goals too. Honestly I feel like that total is even low.

Reactions: CH

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
He was absolutely considered a dominant player for a couple of years on both ends of the ice. He just wasn’t putting up the huge numbers like Crosby/Ovi And wasn’t flashy like Datsyuk, but he was just as skilled and impactful.

Toews is mostly hype, but I wouldn’t call Sundin or Modano “hyped.” Sundin was one of the top centers for a majority of his career while being one of the best Swedes to ever play, while Modano was, if not the best scoring American born player ever. As well as being a two way stud. If anything Zetterberg is a notch below Modano, In terms of player to player.

They deserved it but just saying Sundin and Modano were bigger "stars" to me. Sundin as the franchise player of the Leafs and Modano as the best American player and also longtime franchise player of a successful champion team. Growing up it felt to me like they where on the short list of most famous players in the game. I just think Zetterberg was more overshadowed as the 3rd star on his team most of his best years behind Datsyuk and Lidstrom

I don't know if impacts their HHOF case at all though since it didn't help Alfredsson that much to be a franchise face of a Canadian team

Last edited:
Reactions: GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
They deserved it but just saying Sundin and Modano were bigger "stars" to me. Sundin as the franchise player of the Leafs and Modano as the best American player and also longtime franchise player of a successful champion team. Growing up it felt to me like they where on the short list of most famous players in the game. I just think Zetterberg was more overshadowed as the 3rd star on his team most of his best years behind Datsyuk and Lidstrom

I don't know if impacts their HHOF case at all though since it didn't help Alfredsson that much to be a franchise face of a Canadian team
This is true. He has a good reputation as a solid competitor and player, but he definitely took a back seat to Datsyuk and Lidstrom during the Wings best years. It definitely didn’t help his status as a top star for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad