Will Zetterberg Be A HHOF'er?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He's borderline, and I'm honestly not sure if he will or not. I think in general he was highly regarded and his career as a whole stands up well to other borderline guys, but he was also often overshadowed and doesn't have the regular season awards that tend to stand out. He's similar to guys like Elias and Alfredsson where they were better than they look on paper, but that might end up going against them. I would put him in though.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
He should have a few selkes...dunno how he never got one. He was always our match up center in the same role as the current defensive centermen like Bergeron, Toews, Kopitar, etc. He had more offense than all of them and was just as good defensively, yet he's the only one without a Selke. He had the highest peak of any of them too. They're all gonna be guaranteed HOFers, yet z won't because no Selke.

Funny quote about the Selke. He finished 3rd & 4th in back to back seasons. Didn't come close to sniff the award in any other season. Just because someone's favorite hometown player is an above average player, his fans seem to think that he should go into the Hall Of Fame.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
They elect 4 players every year.

You do the math.

They will run out of worthy dead puck era guys within the first 2 years.

Doesn't mean that means that those players always deserve to be enshrined. Maybe the Hall needs to change their policies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Funny quote about the Selke. He finished 3rd & 4th in back to back seasons. Didn't come close to sniff the award in any other season. Just because someone's favorite hometown player is an above average player, his fans seem to think that he should go into the Hall Of Fame.

He was a superstar in the league with Olympic gold, Captain of his Olympic team, a cup winner, a Conn Smythe, O6 team captain and one of the best post season reputations in the league. He wasnt just "above average".

And its not like the standard for the hall is very high. Lots of people complain all the time how low the standard is, but the hall has its standard for players, it doesnt care what other people persoally think the standard should be. Zetterberg definitely has a resume that puts him very borderline. I wont say hes a lock, but the fact that you seem so sure he shouldnt get in means youre underrating him

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Doesn't mean that means that those players always deserve to be enshrined. Maybe the Hall needs to change their policies.

It depends.

NHL has changed dramatically or even hockey in general.

Comparing stats for modern players against those even 20 years ago is like comparing apples to oranges.

It is FAR tougher to score in the modern game and I know people will quote this post. But if you are denying that this statement is true then, I’m sorry, you are in complete denial.

Zetterberg was one of the top players in the league.

Players that were equivalent to him as far as ranking of their respective eras are in the Hall.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
21st in points/game in that same time frame, for any player with over 600 games played.

I personally don't believe he should get in, but he probably will.
So let’s bypass the other statistics and focus on the one that isn’t as strong? Sounds very agenda oriented to me....

600? Why that number? The lowest number of games played within the top 25 producers since ‘03 is 751....and only one player has played less than 700 within the top 50.

With at least 1000 games played, he sits 4th. 900, he sits 8th, 800, he sits 13th. He’s played 400+ more games than 600.....of course his PPG is going to look weaker to players who haven’t even hit 700 games yet.

I’m not saying he’s a slam dunk, but he has a good argument.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
So let’s bypass the other statistics and focus on the one that isn’t as strong? Sounds very agenda oriented to me....

600? Why that number? The lowest number of games played within the top 25 producers since ‘03 is 751....and only one player has played less than 700 within the top 50.

With at least 1000 games played, he sits 4th. 900, he sits 8th, 800, he sits 13th. He’s played 400+ more games than 600.....of course his PPG is going to look weaker to players who haven’t even hit 700 games yet.

I’m not saying he’s a slam dunk, but he has a good argument.
I was just adding context to the fact that he is only so high because of how many games he's played that he's been able to accumulate those points in.

Saying simply that he's 6th in that time period makes it sound like he's an elite point producer, which he is not. Just adding some context to it.

And I'm not saying he wasn't a great player either.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I was just adding context to the fact that he is only so high because of how many games he's played that he's been able to accumulate those points in.

Saying simply that he's 6th in that time period makes it sound like he's an elite point producer, which he is not. Just adding some context to it.

And I'm not saying he wasn't a great player either.
Your contradicting yourself by changing the standard games played to 600, which obviously will hurt Zetterberg....so the context doesn’t make sense.

That’s a pretty inaccurate observation. The guy has a .89 PPG.....that’s really good. And like I stated, with 1000 games, he sits 4th in PPG. That’s not a product of playing so long, he was still very much productive for having played so many games. He’s also 8th in goals and 3rd in assists with at least 1000 games. Once again, showing production.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
Zetterberg fares really well among folks drafted around his year. I looked at 5 draft years from 1998 to 2002 (Zetterberg was drafted in 1999, but his first season was 2002/03).

Here are top12 scorers from those 5 draft years
H. Sedin
D. Sedin
Zetterberg
Lecavalier
B. Richards
Datsyuk
Tanguay
Spezza
Gaborik
Nash
Ribeiro
Heatley

Then, among defensemen, we have Keith and Markov (and nobody else really).
Among goalies, Lundqvist, Miller, and then Ward, Bryzgalov, Lehtonen, Anderson.

Given that they induct 3-4 people each year, at least 10 people from those 5 years have to go in, even if this period is relatively weak.
So who do we put in HHOF ahead of Zetterberg? Sedins, Datsyuk, Lundqvist, Miller, Keith. That's 6. Who else is clearly ahead of Zetterberg? Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, Ward, and Markov? Not that clear to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: trentmccleary

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Zetterberg>Toews. Toews is a guaranteed lock, so by that logic zetterberg should be a lock.

The NHL has no jurisdiction over the HHOF, (Chicago would be officially recognized as having had a dynasty if it did).

The top 100 players nonsense was an NHL gimmick, and although Toews probably will get in, it's not the slam dunk some people think it'll be, as the HOF had nothing to do with that list.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Yes he's absolutely in.

Do people not consider the fact who these guys are going up against when it comes to retirement? Or do they truly believe the HHOF is just going to stop letting people in once all the modern players in the NHL start to retire except for 10-12 guys.

Because it seems like that's what some people's standards are.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The NHL has no jurisdiction over the HHOF, (Chicago would be officially recognized as having had a dynasty if it did).

The top 100 players nonsense was an NHL gimmick, and although Toews probably will get in, it's not the slam dunk some people think it'll be, as the HOF had nothing to do with that list.
You talk like these organizations have some meaning of difference.

Simply ask, what humans voted for that top 100 list? Who votes for the HHoF/will vote for it in some future years. Is there an overlap there, yeah probably but they also all generally have a common mindset about hockey players. One that does value winning/character/leadership whether it's justified or not.

Of course Zetterberg will be in. I could see it not happening year 1.. but who is he against. Jagr and the sedins? I cant remember who else will be hof worthy that will be their year.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

Simply ask, what humans voted for that top 100 list? Who votes for the HHoF/will vote for it in some future years. Is there an overlap there, yeah probably but they also all generally have a common mindset about hockey players. One that does value winning/character/leadership whether it's justified or not.

Of course Zetterberg will be in. I could see it not happening year 1.. but who is he against. Jagr and the sedins? I cant remember who else will be hof worthy that will be their year.

Yes, they are different.

The list was mostly comprised of media members while the HHOF has a committee made up mostly of former players.

The NHL values money and will whore the game for a buck while the HHOF has interests in the roots of the sport and cataloging it where notable and or unique. This is why a list such as the top 100 players has a different aim than any list the HHOF would produce, the former shouldn't be taken seriously in other words.

The voting committee currently is made up of about 15 people (10 are former players). That list, the top 100, had over 200 voters, every shitty beat guy on every team likely got a vote. And zero conversation was had about the voting, rendering it worth little more than a HF poll.

I was referring to Toews, who will probably get in, but that it's no slam dunk because the NHL made a list. Zetterberg should rightfully get in.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

The same people who vote also put “winning, leadership, and character(whatever that means)” ahead of actually HOF production and individual success in the form of Malkin, Thornton, and Iginla.

They dropped 3 bonified HOFers, as well as CLEARLY superior players just to make room for guys like Toews. But when those same names come back around for inductions, they will have to eat their own words.

Zetterberg never put up monster numbers like Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin. He was never flashy like Datsyuk. He was never revered as some all time great leader like Toews..... he was just an overall great talent who worked hard, played hard, And excelled on both ends of the ice, all in ways that many players hadn’t....including guys like Toews and Bergeron. He got it done in the playoffs, on the international level, while putting together a respectable and in many ways high level Regular season resume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad