Will Zetterberg Be A HHOF'er?

CH

Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Jiri Slegr and Tomas Jonsson are members of the triple gold club. It sounds good but it's a team achievement. It can be achieved by being in the right places at the right time and not by being an elite player.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Jiri Slegr and Tomas Jonsson are members of the triple gold club. It sounds good but it's a team achievement. It can be achieved by being in the right places at the right time and not by being an elite player.

That is true, but also not relevant for Zetterberg who was a key-player for these golds.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
How many point-per game players with 1300+ points are not in the Hall of Fame? In all NHL history? I actually looked it up, it is precisely one: Pierre Turgeon. These simply are "automatic Hall of Famer" stats.

Sundin is 28th in all NHL history for total points... and all the eligible players from 1-31 are already in the Hall of Fame (#33 is, you guessed it, Pierre Turgeon) and of the top 50 list only 5 who are eligible are not in the Hall: Turgeon (#32), Roenick (#43), Nicholls (#45), Damphousse (#46) and Brind'Amour (#48).

Furthermore, of the top 63 scorers in NHL history, the only ones who are retired and eligible for the HHOF that aren't in are:

Turgeon, Roenick, Nicholls, Damphousse, Brind'Amour and Alfredsson.

Six guys out of 63.

NHL & WHA Career Leaders and Records for Points | Hockey-Reference.com

If someone actually thinks Andreychuk, Housley, Ciccarelli, Federko, Nieuwendyk or Anderson was a better player than Sundin (or Zetterberg), that person needs a good smack upside the head.

Blackmon

Mullet
Jun 23, 2018
Cambridge Bay, NU
I don’t see it.

He was a very good player, but he was never absolutely dominant nor was he the best player in the league at any point in time.

I would put him in a group with guys like Lecavalier and Brad Richards. Great, but not legendary.

Reactions: Jtown

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Seriously? Eastern media bias. Tsn. Etc. You cant really think that does not matter. Sheesh
The Leafs were hardly a powerhouse team during his time there. Sure, I understand the exposure maybe being really consistent for him, but he deserved the praise he got. He was one of the best players in the league.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I don’t see it.

He was a very good player, but he was never absolutely dominant nor was he the best player in the league at any point in time.

I would put him in a group with guys like Lecavalier and Brad Richards. Great, but not legendary.
Is that the criteria now? A lot of players who deserve to be there were never considered THE best in the league, but Zetterberg was one of them at one point.

Francis, Selanne, Hawerchuk, Oates, Gilmour, Kurri, Robitaille, Modano, Shanahan, Stastny.....just some no doubt HOFers who were never considered the “best” in the league.

Reactions: LiveeviL

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Seriously? Eastern media bias. Tsn. Etc. You cant really think that does not matter. Sheesh
Yes, Eastern media is why he is ranked #28 in scoring all time, putting up 1349 points at a ppg pace. It was that damned Toronto conspiracy that made him put up those clear Hall of Fame numbers :sarcasm:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think he's a first or second ballot guy, but I think he does find his way in at some point.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Sundin's sheer production stats are in line with a Hall of Famer:
Games: 1346
Goals: 564
Assists: 785
Points per game: 1.002

He is in because he unequivocally put up Hall of Fame numbers. He also had international success (Olympic Gold medal, 16 GP, 11 G, 9 A, 20 P, 3x WC gold medal 35 GP, 18 G, 26 A, 44 P). The only knock on him is the lack of a Stanley Cup... which can be made about a lot of Hall of Fame players.

It is continually mystifying why people just ignore Sundin's raw statistics when they compare his production numbers. He was simply scored a lot more points a lot more efficiently then Zetterberg or Toews or Andreychuk and it isn't particularly close.

This really shouldn't be all that controversial: Sundin is deservedly in the Hall of Fame because he flat-out put up Hall of Fame level production and had a fair amount of team success over his career.

Sometimes I wonder if Sundin had played for a team like say Minnesota his entire career if there would be so much "controversy" about him being in the Hall here on HFBoards, because there certainly wasn't among actual voters because Sundin got in on the first ballot.

If he had played in Minnesota there wouldn't be any controversy because he might not even be in the hof yet.

Last edited:

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
Don't think he should get in before someone like Pierre Turgeon

The fact that he didn't hit 1000 career points, while still averaging under a point per game doesn't bode well for him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don’t see it.

Based on some of the guys who got into the HoF, I don't think the bolded is necessarily a prerequisite. There are quite a few good, but never dominant or best players in the Hall.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Zetterbergs biggest problem is his stats. They don’t justify the kind of player he was or how dominant he was.

The bigger question is, is Zetterberg good enough on his talent and what he has achieved(Smythe, Cup, international success) to make an argument for the Hall?

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Mike Johnson, who played with Zetterberg, believes that he shouldn't get in due to a scarcity of major awards or year end all-star teams . I disagree. Zetterberg may not qualify if he could only rely on his offensive numbers but he was so much more than that. I'd argue that his offense alone (in a low scoring era) puts him on the cusp but his leadership and superb defensive play should easily put him over the top.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Mike Johnson, who played with Zetterberg, believes that he shouldn't get in due to a scarcity of major awards or year end all-star teams . I disagree. Zetterberg may not qualify if he could only rely on his offensive numbers but he was so much more than that. I'd argue that his offense alone (in a low scoring era) puts him on the cusp but his leadership and superb defensive play should easily put him over the top.
When the hell did Mike Johnson play with Zetterberg?

Oct 18, 2011
He doesn't deserve to be in. I look as Zetterberg as a complier like Roenick was. His post season awards do him in for me. A HOF should have at least a top 3-5 Hart/Norris/Vezina voting to his credit. One top 10 and a 2nd team AS doesn't cut it for me.
You mean a players HOF case is based on biased voters?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad