Will you still be here after potential Karlsson trade

If Ek leaves this offseason will you still be here?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Must be a bit of a North American thing to just **** off when the going gets tough, I'll still be amongst it. To appreciate the highs, you'll have to have the lows

Yeah, Canada doesn't f*** off when the going gets tough, we're the opposite. We've jumped in with both feet to help protect you every time you've need us.

I'll chalk this up to being emotional about the hockey team and forgive the overstep.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
anyone else here keep on getting logged off?
It has to do with the secure version of the site. Going to 'hfboards.mandatory.com' gets you the non-secured version, but logging in redirects you to the secured version. Until the hosts figure it out, just punch in 'https://' in front of the URL and you'll be back in.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Yes. Players come and Players go, who cares, it doesn't matter. Brady Tkachuck will be our new Karlsson

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Must be a bit of a North American thing to just **** off when the going gets tough

... said the guy from the country that gave up on the United States when they showed a bit of backbone, and gave up on Canada when we politely asked you to leave.

Not to mention Suez, India, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa (and most of the Eastern continent of Africa, if we're being honest), Egypt, Papua, Iran, Jordan, Myanmar, Malaysia...

Respectfully, you're in no position to be making ad-hominem attacks based on nationality.

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

BritishSen

May 20, 2018
... said the guy from the country that gave up on the United States when they showed a bit of backbone, and gave up on Canada when we politely asked you to leave.

Not to mention Suez, India, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa (and most of the Eastern continent of Africa, if we're being honest), Egypt, Papua, Iran, Jordan, Myanmar, Malaysia...

Respectfully, you're in no position to be making ad-hominem attacks based on nationality.
Eh, it wasn't an attack :huh: what a way to blow it out of proportion. Need to chill out mate

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Eh, it wasn't an attack :huh: what a way to blow it out of proportion. Need to chill out mate

You said: "Must be a bit of a North American thing to just **** off when the going gets tough"

And we're supposed to "chill out mate"?

You threw out a general insult at Canadians, and NA's in general and got a few gentle slaps. Pretty much deserved in my books, and hardly less than I imagine you'd dish back if we insulted England out of the blue no?

BritishSen

May 20, 2018
You said: "Must be a bit of a North American thing to just **** off when the going gets tough"

And we're supposed to "chill out mate"?

You threw out a general insult at Canadians, and NA's in general and got a few gentle slaps. Pretty much deserved in my books, and hardly less than I imagine you'd dish back if we insulted England out of the blue no?
It really wasn't meant like that, it was more to do with the franchise culture in american sports. I assume it's more common for fans in north america to switch teams when franchises move all over the place than fans of our sports for example, which is why I specified the region and not yanks or canadians, I wrote it as I saw that lad on the first page saying he'd follow Karlsson to whatever team he ended up with, nowt to do with nationality, more of a cultural aspect.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I'm gonna bet you don't have kids or kids old enough that watch & like hockey.

So we do have kids around here but we told them to keep their money for more fun things if the team sucks or is poorly run or is a clown show. If they decide they like Ovi, cool. If they like the Sens, also cool. Just an entertainment option man, and a mediocre one at that. Demanding excellence, rewarding good decisions and so on is the way we have gone since Murray got the GM job. We were Day 1 ticket holders here, but enough was enough. The money we would have spend on season tickets for 2018-2019 will go to a trip, or renos, or other entertainment options. Just like we cut our seasons in 2007-2008 and bought a few games here and there, renewing after the Conference Finals run only for a larger segment.

And to people that say a sports team choice is like a marriage, when the Senators pay 50% of my bills, raise my kids, take care of me when I'm sick...then I'll be on that boat. Until Melnyk sells, my support for this team will be uniquely watching the odd game on TV or going to TO or MTL to watch them. No money must go to Melnyk through Canadian Tire Centre from us. Now, if the Senators go full rebuild, tear it all down and turf Anderson, Smith, Ryan...and eventually replace Dorion and Boucher with outside hires, money could be available.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It really wasn't meant like that, it was more to do with the franchise culture in american sports. I assume it's more common for fans in north america to switch teams when franchises move all over the place than fans of our sports for example, which is why I specified the region and not yanks or canadians, I wrote it as I saw that lad on the first page saying he'd follow Karlsson to whatever team he ended up with, nowt to do with nationality, more of a cultural aspect.

Makes a lot more sense! I should add that I'm not sure how many of us actually follow sports like that to be honest. Everyone I know is a fan of their team thick and thin. Personally, once a player is traded from my team I cease to really care about them. If they were truly special I may continue to like them and cherish their contributions, but I still want my team to crush theirs, and I don't really wish anyone else a cup other than my team. It was nice to see Ovi get one, and it would be nice for Spezza to get one, but never at the expense of my Sens!

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

It's alright mate, it was pretty clear you meant sports culture, some people need to relax on this forum.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Perhaps, but no more or less so than every other media guy. We just like to believe the releases that suit us, and dismiss those that don’t. I mean we see the same dismissals posted in regards to Dreger, Yost, etc...

Look, I’m not arguing fact here, but it’s coming from a guy saying he spoke directly to players, and seems to realistically have access. It’s worthy of discussion, even if it makes EK fans uncomfortable. For those of us who cheer more for the front of the jersey than the back it’s a concerning rumour.
And there are those of us who cheer for the front of the jersey and particularly like certain players and choose not to be bothered with such rumours. As some of us didn't bother with the Duchene rumour (same one incidentally) that was floating around just before he got here.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Must be a bit of a North American thing to just **** off when the going gets tough, I'll still be amongst it. To appreciate the highs, you'll have to have the lows
Except it’s not because the team sucks. I have no problem supporting a losing team.

But when the owner is a scumbag (non-hockey related) and has no interest in investing in a winning team but expects fans to do so, that’s when I’d rather keep my money.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
And there are those of us who cheer for the front of the jersey and particularly like certain players and choose not to be bothered with such rumours. As some of us didn't bother with the Duchene rumour (same one incidentally) that was floating around just before he got here.

Eh, maybe. It's not about being bothered, it's about hearing stuff from guys with legitimate access and discussing it. If he was talking about Ceci for instance, there would be several people in here that would immediately treat it as truth because they dislike the player. That's the point I was making, not that it had to be true, but that it's worth discussing given that it came from an ex player with ties to guys on the team.

Given EK's popularity many would prefer not to consider it at all, not surprising, and I don't mean that as a jab, just fans being fans really.

I think Duchene was clearly unhappy in Colorado, but not because ehe was disliked by his teammates. Sakic waited for a long time with him blowing in the breeze. Smart to insist on getting a good haul, but as we saw it had a negative effect of their play as a whole.

When a player has to go, you have to move them or the team suffers. According to teammates Duchene was a professional about the whole thing, and came to work to do his job, but it's hard to play as a cohesive unit when one guy's heart just isn't in it.

EK's play this year looked like his heart and brain weren't in it, there must be reasons for this.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Eh, maybe. It's not about being bothered, it's about hearing stuff from guys with legitimate access and discussing it. If he was talking about Ceci for instance, there would be several people in here that would immediately treat it as truth because they dislike the player. That's the point I was making, not that it had to be true, but that it's worth discussing given that it came from an ex player with ties to guys on the team.

Given EK's popularity many would prefer not to consider it at all, not surprising, and I don't mean that as a jab, just fans being fans really.

I think Duchene was clearly unhappy in Colorado, but not because ehe was disliked by his teammates. Sakic waited for a long time with him blowing in the breeze. Smart to insist on getting a good haul, but as we saw it had a negative effect of their play as a whole.

When a player has to go, you have to move them or the team suffers. According to teammates Duchene was a professional about the whole thing, and came to work to do his job, but it's hard to play as a cohesive unit when one guy's heart just isn't in it.

EK's play this year looked like his heart and brain weren't in it, there must be reasons for this.

Duchene had been looking to leave the Avs for years - can see anyone going into work everyday applying any sort of positive impact when you don't want to be there.

As for EK, all I ever heard from any teamates druing his 9 year tenure was positive. Yes, he had a bad year last year... reasons for this? He had his foot/ankle reconstructed. If you were a vocalist and there was a serious problem with your vocal chords, would you have a tendency to not sing the same, if at all... and be self-conscience about your voice and hitting high or low pitch? Keep in mind, the (alleged) crap that built up from the Hoffman household (starting in November... when EK returned), the insanity in February about him being dealt.... yeah, there must be reasons for him having a bad year.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Duchene had been looking to leave the Avs for years - can see anyone going into work everyday applying any sort of positive impact when you don't want to be there.

As for EK, all I ever heard from any teamates druing his 9 year tenure was positive. Yes, he had a bad year last year... reasons for this? He had his foot/ankle reconstructed. If you were a vocalist and there was a serious problem with your vocal chords, would you have a tendency to not sing the same, if at all... and be self-conscience about your voice and hitting high or low pitch? Keep in mind, the (alleged) crap that built up from the Hoffman household (starting in November... when EK returned), the insanity in February about him being dealt.... yeah, there must be reasons for him having a bad year.

I agree with everything you’ve written here, but there may have been more to it from what people are saying.

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010

Not to go too off topic here, but the reason for the Brits packing up and leaving all those countries was due to the cost of maintaining the status quo with no resources to do it. U.S. is going down the exact same path. You can't fund a giant military, war and occupation forever....countries go bankrupt.

Back on topic...where is the option for still cheer for team, but no money spent until Melnyk's gone?

Reactions: Sensung

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad