Will We Make The Playoffs?

Anticipate trades/personnel changes if you please.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Dermott is a top 4 defenseman so what would you call that?

Dermott was also handed some of the easiest minutes to play as well. Sure his offense was about the same as Ceci, but the ice-time each one
faced were complete opposites of the spectrum. This isn't bashing on Dermott, he's a young defenseman, but to think he's ready to step in
against the NHL's elite and look good doing it might be a bit much this early in his career. Think the goal should be for him to maybe be a
5th/6th defenseman but that's about it.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There are a lot of reasons, but I also don't believe last seasons issues have much to do with this seasons because Dubas moved on from almost all of them. The one constant for me so far is Babcock, but I actually believe his system is better this year than last year, especially with the breakout.

His problem is he still plays below replacement defenseman in top-minutes, has no ability to change mid-game, overthinks line-matching, and doesn't play his stars (except Marner, who's been horrible this year) enough. I've said it a million times: I think he's a great coach. I just don't think he's the right coach for this team.

This season though I don't see the beginning to be an issue except for a couple star players (Rielly, Tavares, Marner, Fred), and we all know they're going to all bounce back at some point this season. Keep doing what you're doing offensively, tighten up a bit defensively, and get better goaltending.

The reason they are a mediocre team is their inability to defend and their lack of hockey grit and hockey sense. They are very easy to play against.
You didn’t mention Matthews who is an incomplete hockey player. I pointed it out in the playoffs last year and you can see it this year, if you care to look.
Can they fix their problems? I don’t know. Nobody does.

Reactions: Leterman

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
And......tell us why they are a sub 500 team over the past 65 games and you’ll be at the crux of the problem
I get angry when people go back to last season to say what the Leafs record is the past 50 or 60 games because only 11 of those games were played with this roster. Fans seem to forget that only 7, yes 7 of this year's team played last year with the Leafs. The core players were on last year's team, but that's it, many coaches are new too, so going back more than 11 games can't be used.

Reactions: The Apologist

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I get angry when people go back to last season to say what the Leafs record is the past 50 or 60 games because only 11 of those games were played with this roster. Fans seem to forget that only 7, yes 7 of this year's team played last year with the Leafs. The core players were on last year's team, but that's it, many coaches are new too, so going back more than 11 games can't be used.
Not true. Actually you’d have to a moron not to look at last year.

Reactions: IPS

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
I’m still waiting for leafs to click and play a complete game. It’s seems to be trending in a negative direction.

The defensive zone breakdowns and missed assignments is getting beyond frustrating. If they can’t fix that then I don’t think leafs will make the playoffs.

Reactions: v4karuna

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Not true. Actually you’d have to a moron not to look at last year.
I guess I'm a moron. Do you understand why you can't look at last year? Do you get that yes the team's name was the Leafs, they were the same franchise, but thanks to Dubas only 7 of those players returned and this year's team shouldn't be held accountable for last year's teams poor play in the 2nd half of last year.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I guess I'm a moron. Do you understand why you can't look at last year? Do you get that yes the team's name was the Leafs, they were the same franchise, but thanks to Dubas only 7 of those players returned and this year's team shouldn't be held accountable for last year's teams poor play in the 2nd half of last year.

yes you are and you prove it every time you post on this subject.
To not see the same issues as last year’s 500 team is astounding.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I like:

Muzzin-Rielly
Dermott-Barrie
Gravel/Sandin-Holl/Liljegren

Find some moron to take Ceci for a 7th.

I'm pretty sure Rielly-Barrie would get absolutely CAVED in defensively.
The didn't look bad in spots. And I think it's a decent way to get Barrie going...

Though if Rielly is capable enough on the right side... that setup is nice too. Muzzin looks confident, wouldn't be opposed to it

Reactions: Morgs

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Except the team plays with the same flaws as before as dictated by the strengths and weaknesses of the core.

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
Best outcome we can hope is we finish low and win the lottery

We traded it. I know we'd get it back, but, we just lost the following year's anyways.. and we need a good few tank years here again.

Also important to point out we traded it to get rid of Patrick Marleau, who has a better pace than Tavares and Nylander right now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We traded it. I know we'd get it back, but, we just lost the following year's anyways.. and we need a good few tank years here again.

Also important to point out we traded it to get rid of Patrick Marleau, who has a better pace than Tavares and Nylander right now.

Also funny in Marleau's interview that he saw the writing on the wall and got traded partially so his friend Marner could be re-signed.

We'd actually be ahead if we kept Marleau and the pick, signed a mid level free agent and let Marner pursue his tv commercial acting career.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I sometimes wonder how people who have this negative a view on the Leafs get through the other areas of their life.

We're 11 games in and have yet to have a game with a full line up. Let's all take a step back and breath, these guys are going to be okay.

Reactions: Madap and hoglund

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
that's a hat trick right there

dislike babcock
dislike dubas
blame shanahan

looks like someone wants this management regime completely gone
And this, by far, is the best, most professional management the Leafs have ever had. Ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad