Will We Make The Playoffs?

Anticipate trades/personnel changes if you please.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If we continue to play like we have the answer will be no. How many times do we spot the opposing team a 2-0 lead before we start to play?

I hate Burke but he was right about Matthews he is not a 200 foot player yet. Babcock needs to call out the entire leadership of this team and ride the s#*$ out of Matthews, Marner and Nylander. They wanted to get paid before doing anything in this league so show us you are worth overpayment each of you received!

When teams ride their star forwards heavily, those forwards need that 3rd forward on their line completely committed to defense (and the hard forecheck). Do the Leafs have those support players?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Didn’t they get points in like 15 straight to make the playoffs in Matthews first year?

They could have but that was then. This team led by the new young core is going through the same growing pains and learning curve if we can call it that as Kessel+JVR+Bozak+Lupul+Phaneuf.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Barring a long term injury to Andersen, I'm confident we'll make the playoffs.

Once we get past this nightmare of a schedule to start the season and get some reinforcements back off IR, we'll be better.

What remains to be seen is how effective this roster can be in the post season if/when we get there.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Easily make the playoffs imo.

Saving grace is that some teams ahead of us are there on the backs of unsustainable performances from players.
Don't think any leaf has been unsustainably good so far :laugh:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I cannot even fathom having such a negative view of the team I cheer for. This Leafs team is fine, they have looked alright, sure, it's also incredibly early with some key injuries...

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I voted yes, but it is not a confident vote.

This team has a lot to figure out, but there are a lot of bad teams in the league.

I think we make the playoffs despite the coach's stubbornness.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
They could have but that was then. This team led by the new young core is going through the same growing pains and learning curve if we can call it that as Kessel+JVR+Bozak+Lupul+Phaneuf.

so February-April matters.... but then it doesn’t?

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I just hope egocock gets canned after this season. Shanny needs to give dubas full authority or just take over as gm. Kinda a p***y move to block dubas’s attempt at firing Babcock last season

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Poll closes by November.

I just want to see if anyone else thinks we look amazingly average.

Edit: I think we will vuy at the deadline and squeak in.

They can't buy at the deadline. Certainly not in any material way to improve the roster. What you see is what you're going to get.

Best bet is a to finish in a wild card and avoid Tampa and Boston. I don't think we'll get out of the first round against either of them.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The Leafs have the most goals against in the NHL and only a scoring differential of +3. If this trend continues, Dubas' smartest offseason move will have been to top 10 protect that first rounder to Carolina.

In our defense, that +3 is still 13th in the league and our GAPG is not the highest... I didn't do all of the math but I am pretty sure it is not even in the bottom 10. We've just played more games than most teams.

3.5 GAPG is not great, but almost half of the GA of that came from two poor goaltending performances from our backup and that Tampa game. The other 7 games we are at a 2.71 GAPG, which is not nearly as concerning.

No doubt the defensive effort needs to improve, but the main thing that kills us is the stupid mistakes from the coach and the players.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In our defense, that +3 is still 13th in the league and our GAPG is not the highest... I didn't do all of the math but I am pretty sure it is not even in the bottom 10. We've just played more games than most teams.

3.5 GAPG is not great, but almost half of the GA of that came from two poor goaltending performances from our backup and that Tampa game. The other 7 games we are at a 2.71 GAPG, which is not nearly as concerning.

No doubt the defensive effort needs to improve, but the main thing that kills us is the stupid mistakes from the coach and the players.

Their team GAA is 3.40 and 4th worst in the whole league.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/team-...sort=5&time=0&pos=0&team=1&qual=1&sortOrder=0

That’s easily a recipe for DNQ for the playoffs if it continues.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
As soon as Andersen's sv% starts to normalize people will be able to calm down. Most games hes played hes posted a sub .900 and that wont last.

Theres almost zero chance this team misses the playoffs

Reactions: Gallagbi

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
There are new lines and new defensive pairings and a new power-play coach let's at least wait til' they weather the early storm. Matthews has a one-timer now, Nylander looks himself again, Mikaev is a free wallet, Tyson Barrie will show up at some point, etc.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Yes but it will be a battle for a wildcard.

Montreal and Buffalo are both in the mix now.

I've been saying this all along.

:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad