Will We Make The Playoffs?

Anticipate trades/personnel changes if you please.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think the easy answer is if only Leafs have Seth Jones instead of Barrie and Rantanen instead of Willie. But I am starting to think the problems lies with Babs.
In Hockey, you can’t teach skills but you can teach structure. There is really no structure on the team. Actually I saw more team structure and team defence under Babs when they finished last about 4 yrs ago.
It could be the players just care about their stats or the fact that Babs just not the right coach for this team.
The more I watch them, I more I think AJ needs to go, he is a modern day mid 6 wingers who can put up points but if your team have Marner, Matthews, JT and Willie, he is not needed.
Ceci cannot be on the top pairing with Reilly. He needs shelter mins to rebuild his confidence and also easier competition.
Reilly and Muzzin must play together as a pairing, one of them is smart enough to play on their off sides. When Dermott comes back, pair him with Barrie, then have Ceci and Marincin, Gravel or Sandin as bottom pairing. Or trade Ceci for a vet LHD and have Holl plays next to him.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I think it's too soon to say, making the playoffs isn't as easy as some seem to think , half the league doesn't make it. It's too early right now, but I think that it's going to be hard especially being in the strongest division in the NHL.

Reactions: Cobra777

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think it's too soon to say, making the playoffs isn't as easy as some seem to think , half the league doesn't make it. It's too early right now, but I think that it's going to be hard especially being in the strongest division in the NHL.
I think it's too soon to call the Atlantic the strongest division.
We have two lottery teams in Ottawa/Detroit in our division.
Buffalo is off to a good start but hasn't proven they can sustain a full season yet.
The Panthers still have dismal defence and Bob can be in and out.
Montreal works hard but they are still a .500 team talent wise.

That leaves Boston,Tampa,Toronto. Even soft hockey with some solid Freddy goaltending makes the playoffs. It's after that the wheels fall off.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I think it's too soon to call the Atlantic the strongest division.
We have two lottery teams in Ottawa/Detroit in our division.
Buffalo is off to a good start but hasn't proven they can sustain a full season yet.
The Panthers still have dismal defence and Bob can be in and out.
Montreal works hard but they are still a .500 team talent wise.

That leaves Boston,Tampa,Toronto. Even soft hockey with some solid Freddy goaltending makes the playoffs. It's after that the wheels fall off.
According to Las Vegas Tampa bay, Boston and Toronto are all in the top five predicted to win the Stanley cup, through the season the Leafs are going to play these teams more often than teams in the rest of the league which will make it harder to make the playoffs.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
"Is it possible that this team could miss the playoffs?"

Yes, it's possible not probable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al14

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Best part is.
These early season tribulations actually harden a team.... and define direction.

We will make it and be a different team come playoff time. Whether it be players/coach or learning the system. ... I have confidence we find our game

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
If we continue to play like we have the answer will be no. How many times do we spot the opposing team a 2-0 lead before we start to play?

I hate Burke but he was right about Matthews he is not a 200 foot player yet. Babcock needs to call out the entire leadership of this team and ride the s#*$ out of Matthews, Marner and Nylander. They wanted to get paid before doing anything in this league so show us you are worth overpayment each of you received!

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
According to Las Vegas Tampa bay, Boston and Toronto are all in the top five predicted to win the Stanley cup, through the season the Leafs are going to play these teams more often than teams in the rest of the league which will make it harder to make the playoffs.

It'll be a failure if the Leafs don't make the playoffs with the amount of money they are spending on payroll this season. They are not going to be excused by saying "it's hard to make the playoffs", sorry.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I’ll say yes, but it’ll be a dog fight again this year.

I don’t think it really matters, they can’t win anything. Or let’s hope the NHL doesn’t move in a direction where they could win.

horner

May 22, 2007
Poll closes by November.

I just want to see if anyone else thinks we look amazingly average.

Edit: I think we will vuy at the deadline and squeak in.
we have a crap load of new player.
our toughest stretch of hockey games .
players missing
Hyman
Dermot
Tavares
some of our key players haven't hit there stride yet.1

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah, you would hope that

Nice freudian slip

I said it last year and saying it again this year, I don’t think anyone would want to watch scrimmage hockey in the playoffs. Let’s hope it never comes to that.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
we have a crap load of new player.
our toughest stretch of hockey games .
players missing
Hyman
Dermot
Tavares
some of our key players haven't hit there stride yet.1

I think they’re right where I expected point wise at this stage of the schedule, however the effort level, engagement and overall play is really concerning.

Reactions: Cobra777

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Hopefully this is true, but the Leafs also don't seem to have a great February-April gear either. So bleeding October points isn't the answer.

This team is just constructed so soft and designed to win those ugly 5-4 track meets. After the Kessel era, this is very hard to enjoy.
I'm not so sure that's true. In 17-18 season, Leafs went 20-8-2 , including a stretch winning 10 out of 11 games. Last season they were fairly consistent all season long. Fans complained that the Leafs had a poor second half and "struggled", but in reality they only really played poorly in the month of January, even March wasn't that bad.

Oct: 8–4–0 , 16 points
Nov: 10–4–0, 20 points
Dec: 8–3–2, 18 points
Jan: 4–6–0, 8 points
Feb: 9–4–2, 20 points
Mar: 6–5–3, 15 points
Apr: 1–2–1, 3 points

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Hopefully this is true, but the Leafs also don't seem to have a great February-April gear either. So bleeding October points isn't the answer.

This team is just constructed so soft and designed to win those ugly 5-4 track meets. After the Kessel era, this is very hard to enjoy.

Didn’t they get points in like 15 straight to make the playoffs in Matthews first year?

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Voted yes
But id voted " i dont f***ing know" if it was an option
On the bright side if we didnt then bye babcock
On the darker side if we didnt another year is wasted

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
ask after a lose or a win and the pool will be completly different.

they will obviously make it because of the talent but there are way to many passengers and the d is playing just awful. Freddie is a toss up if he is great or mediocre. Out backup is garbage aswell.
feels like another first round exit year and finally babs will be fired. at least 1 good thing will happen this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad