Will Todd Richards get fired before the end of the season?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Nor does lousy coaching. I mean what is a coach supposed to do - say "Remember guys we just scored so don't let them score"? At some point the players have to motivate themselves.

I don't know if TR is a great coach but all things considered the record this year is not as bad as it could have been. 5 or 6 more wins to date and we'd be right in the thick of things.

I'm not saying he's totally to blame but coaches bite the bullet over players every time because they are easier to replace.

My point is that he doesn't get a 100% free pass because of injuries. Injuries are a cop out answer because the coaches and players who are on the ice are expected to compete and do the things they are supposed to do.

This team starts slow again next year and someone has to be held accountable.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm not saying he's totally to blame but coaches bite the bullet over players every time because they are easier to replace.

My point is that he doesn't get a 100% free pass because of injuries. Injuries are a cop out answer because the coaches and players who are on the ice are expected to compete and do the things they are supposed to do.

I agree with most of what you said, but when you just dont have the depth to replace injured players theres only soooo much you can do, and i think that showed through i n December when Jenner, Dubinsky, Bob and Murray were briefly back. Jenner, Murray and Bob were reinjured and things went right back down the tube. Jenner is SEVERLY missed as was Murray.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

I am not in Columbus so I don't hear everything but I don't recall HCTR using injuries as an excuse. Seems like the concept of injuries as an excuse is coming from higher up and filtered down to Rimer and Shelley. If that's the case, it would be hypocritical for Jarmo and JD to blame it on injuries and then fire the coach.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I am not in Columbus so I don't hear everything but I don't recall HCTR using injuries as an excuse. Seems like the concept of injuries as an excuse is coming from higher up and filtered down to Rimer and Shelley. If that's the case, it would be hypocritical for Jarmo and JD to blame it on injuries and then fire the coach.

I think using injuries as an excuse is just a coping mechanism of the fan base trying to justify how a playoff team last year could be so terrible this year when team management did nothing in the offseason except let key 4th lines players walk in free agency. The forecheck never recovered from that this season and I hope they learned their lesson and make sure to resign Letestu.

I honestly don't think the Hartnell/Umberger trade would have ever been made if Umberger hadn't asked out so the blind squirrel found a nut on that one and that is the one bright spot from this season.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Richards will not be fired. He was/is not the problem.

Time will tell

tumblr_mzvmdj4GTl1qb4y6do1_500.gif

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think using injuries as an excuse is just a coping mechanism of the fan base trying to justify how a playoff team last year could be so terrible this year when team management did nothing in the offseason except let key 4th lines players walk in free agency. The forecheck never recovered from that this season and I hope they learned their lesson and make sure to resign Letestu.

I honestly don't think the Hartnell/Umberger trade would have ever been made if Umberger hadn't asked out so the blind squirrel found a nut on that one and that is the one bright spot from this season.
Or, IOW, "screw this 'history-making level of injuries' crap, it's all about Derek MacKenzie*". :rolleyes:

*: "But I'll be evasive and also try to mention Comeau when someone calls me on it, because folks have stopped listening to DMac-related complaints EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE TOTALLY VALID YOU GUYS"

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Richards will not be fired. He was/is not the problem. Injuries are.

Give me a break!!

How many times do I have to say (this is going on over a decade now), there is NO SINGLE PROBLEM.

One of the biggest problems with people is that they like to find a singular cause to a problem. Richards is part of an institutional problem. To suggest that injuries is the only problem is naive (that's about the nicest way I can put it, I would rather really say what's on my mind honestly) in the extreme. My patience for this line of thinking has come to an end.

Whether or not the institutional problems persist beyond this season will be directly related to peoples abilities to learn from their mistakes. So far Richards hasn't even come close to proving that he does. I hope the front office displays the ability to learn. Lucky for the front office they have a good pipeline. However, I'm not convinced they are very good at figuring out who is important to the locker room from a role player perspective.

Thanks for stating the obvious that Richards isn't getting fired for now. JK already made that public.

I will say this, I will be very surprised if Richards is this teams head coach in 3 years.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I will say this, I will be very surprised if Richards is this teams head coach in 3 years.
Given the average tenure of an NHL coach is just above 3 years with any one team, I'd say that's a pretty safe bet. In fact, I'll say he won't be coach here in 2 years. Richie can get us into the playoffs, but the team will need a different voice to become a Cup contender.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Given the average tenure of an NHL coach is just above 3 years with any one team, I'd say that's a pretty safe bet. In fact, I'll say he won't be coach here in 2 years. Richie can get us into the playoffs, but the team will need a different voice to become a Cup contender.

If the team makes the playoffs, he stays. If we don't, it's questionable. The reality is JK should bring in his own head coach. JK and JD seem overly patient with him.

I'm seeing evidence that the FO is making moves based on the head coaches player preference. Can't say I like it. I don't trust Richards.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I'm seeing evidence that the FO is making moves based on the head coaches player preference. Can't say I like it. I don't trust Richards.

Right...because this team is showing no resemblance to the team JD and JK helped build in St Louis :rolleyes:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Right...because this team is showing no resemblance to the team JD and JK helped build in St Louis :rolleyes:

How cute. A response that has nothing to do with what you quoted. Did I state anywhere that JK and JD are only making decisions based on the head coaches preference?

If you want to roll eyes at someone, make some sense and actually comprehend what they posted first.

I don't really care about what JD "built" in St. Louis. I care about what he and JK build here. I don't trust Richards and I don't like that the FO seems to following his lead more than they should be. I don't give a flying **** what JK and JD did before they got here.

Cheers.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Bjork, Milano, Alex, HCTR. I can't connect these spheres with straight line.

451a0297c9871b786b05427bba2f56fb.jpg

Do You see in our game something similar to modern possesion orientiated trend? Our "control" of puck through endless checking and hitting ( although I like this hardcore:laugh:), we can't keep the puck, we can't "work" with puck, our style is very energy consuming and injury prone. I am not sure that I want another Blues here, we are Jackets with our own " hard working" philosophy, probably any hybrid style. It's not easy, we need first class coach for this realization, for our style final development. Not easy, I haven't solutions ( yet:laugh: ), but afterseason will be long:laugh:

For me, HCTR is simply " foremost bastion" of our FO. Insurance. FO itself has limited time, 2 - 3 years max. I doubt they will keep HCTR too long

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Outsider perspective...

Even when relatively healthy, that attitude seems to be missing from the Jackets.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Here is a perfect example of why I want a new coach.

#CBJ rookie Marko Dano is a healthy scratch tonight vs. #NYIslanders despite putting up 3-6-9 and a plus-8 rating in his last 10 games.

#CBJ coach Todd Richards on Dano scratch: "It’s a chance for a young player … you know, you can learn a lot by watching. It’s a chance ...

"... for him to sit and watch. He worked hard today, he’ll have a day of practice (Fri.) and we’ll see about Sat. It’s part of the process."

https://twitter.com/Aportzline

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I guess he needs to learn to not score so many points or have such a good +/-.

Last edited:

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I guess he needs o learn to not score so many points or have such a good +/-.

Or, you know, be a rookie who is playing well but still has a lot to learn.

Fire Richards because he made Dano a healthy scratch when we are out of the playoffs?

This board sometimes...

50-Cents-Shake-My-Head-Reaction-Gif.gif

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Or, you know, be a rookie who is playing well but still has a lot to learn.

Fire Richards because he made Dano a healthy scratch when we are out of the playoffs?

This board sometimes...

50-Cents-Shake-My-Head-Reaction-Gif.gif

Did I even say that? No. I said it is ANOTHER example. WTF does he have to learn sitting? That if you play good you get benched? This game doesn't mean crap and he should be learning by playing.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I don't mind the Dano scratch. He didn't look that great in his past couple games. He responded well to the demotion earlier this year.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
You wanna scratch him? Fine, it's not something I would call for heads over, but it seems like we 're getting mixed messages from the organization. Rush Murray back into the lineup when healthy because you want to make sure he gets all minutes possible to develop, then healthy scratch arguably your second best forward in the last month, a young player that is still developing as well.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
blah blah, sorry I am late to respond...sometimes I forget where I have posted :)

My point is that I don't think JK and JD are making any personnel moves based on a head coach they did not initially hire. I think they are building this team just like the one they built in St Louis (although Milano has a skill set St Louis did not seem to draft for)...if Richie can coach them which he appears to be doing...then he keeps his job...if he can't fit their mold then he will be out.

IOW, if you are concerned Richie's coaching style is not going to lead to success...then I think your concerns go much higher because I think he is coaching exactly how JK and JD want him to.

I am confident Richie can cook with the ingredients he is given. My concern is that JK and JD built a very good team in St Louis but despite all the regular season success...how much post season success have they had? If they follow the same exact blueprint we fans are destined to the same disappointments.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The benching of Dano for Boll is stupid. The idea that he needs Morin higher in the lineup is even stupider. TR is incredibly poor at handling the resources given to him.

More and more it seems to me that HCTR is a truly mediocre coach. I only wish they would fire him. But they will not unless they miss the playoffs again next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad