Will Todd Richards get fired before the end of the season?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Agreed. Team is healthy now and we saw what we can expect when fully healthy. It seems like he still has the team behind him and management. Getting excited for next year already.

Sure. Want to see what Richards is capable of? Watch our elimination game again last season. Talk about totally mismanaging a game.

It's amazing how many excuses we want to give to this guy. Maybe it's just because we've had some small level of success. Yes, small.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I don't care what "reason" Richards has. There has been nothing grievous enough in the last few games to justify it. Dano has been a huge reason for this teams success and Wennberg played through some bad play and didn't get scratched.

Richards clearly has his pets and players he puts in the dog house. I don't like it.

I'm not going to go down this rabbit hole (Richards) with you like I did with Howson. I take my time judging people in this organization. Dano was simply the last straw. You seem obsessed with defending these guys. You tend to make the mistake of taking the last reason listed and making it seem irrational when if you bothered to look at my posting record you know (I know you do) that this has taken months for me to get to this point and involves far more than our win/loss and a recent decision.

I don't expect you do support or even respect my opinion (I don't think the tendency to support those under attack will allow you to see beyond anything be perceived irrational attacks); but what I do expect is that you don't give me all your stories about why you think I'm being irrational. You should know that I've given that simplistic reason due consideration. This is a pattern with Richards and I don't like it.

If you want to defend Richards based on my other arguments; feel free to give it a shot. I highly doubt you'll come across as anything other than simply apologetic.

Which is all well and good. I'm inclined to believe that the most logical answer is the correct one: something behind the scenes warranted it, whether a directive from above or something else that we'll never know.

I respect you for your intelligence and your consistency. However, not for you defense for those that are in the highest positions in their fields. These guys are and should be judged at a totally different level. The goal is to win championships, not make the playoffs and hope we get lucky with a hot goal tender. If we manage to win a Cup it won't be because Richards out-coached the other teams head coaches. Richards is far inferior to a Babcock, Hitchcock, or even a Trotz.

When Trotz was let go I couldn't have tried and sign him fast enough. I would have dumped Richards in the mid-season had he become available in the midst of a 10 game winning streak. We're going to have problems with him in charge of a team like the Caps.

Just so we're clear, we are talking about:

- Barry Trotz - No Stanley Cups, no SCF, no conference finals, made it out of the first round twice (and no farther either time). 19-31 playoff record despite having four 100-point teams and one with 99. The team he was fired from has already posted a 15-point improvement and the season isn't over yet.

- Mike Babcock - One Cup in over a decade in Detroit, one more SCF in a decade in Detroit, one deep run with Anaheim. Horrible at relying too heavily on veteran players who clearly don't have anything left and burying young players in the press box; Tatar and Nyquist would still be in the AHL if a run of injuries hadn't forced them into the NHL lineup, and Dan Cleary would still be getting big minutes. In Detroit, he's made it out of the second round three times, none in the last five seasons.

- Ken Hitchcock - Has one playoff series win since the 2005 lockout. Has burned out old teams, young teams, and teams in between.

Three coaches, nearly 2,000 coaching wins, and just two Stanley Cups between them and a list a mile long of early playoff exits. How are these guys the model of success that we should be tripping over to acquire?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

- Barry Trotz - No Stanley Cups, no SCF, no conference finals, made it out of the first round twice (and no farther either time). 19-31 playoff record despite having four 100-point teams and one with 99. The team he was fired from has already posted a 15-point improvement and the season isn't over yet.

- Mike Babcock - One Cup in over a decade in Detroit, one more SCF in a decade in Detroit, one deep run with Anaheim. Horrible at relying too heavily on veteran players who clearly don't have anything left and burying young players in the press box; Tatar and Nyquist would still be in the AHL if a run of injuries hadn't forced them into the NHL lineup, and Dan Cleary would still be getting big minutes. In Detroit, he's made it out of the second round three times, none in the last five seasons.

- Ken Hitchcock - Has one playoff series win since the 2005 lockout. Has burned out old teams, young teams, and teams in between.

Three coaches, nearly 2,000 coaching wins, and just two Stanley Cups between them and a list a mile long of early playoff exits. How are these guys the model of success that we should be tripping over to acquire?

Yes. Trotz wasn't going to win a Cup with Nashville. We'll see what he does with the Caps this year, but that is a solid team he has there. Could very well see the EC finals, but it could take another year to get there. Babcock hasn't had a Cup contending team in quite a while. I doubt they have one this season with their defense and goal tending. Canada knows what they have with Babcock and Hitch. Those guys have forgotten more about hockey than Richards ever will know. I'm not saying Trotz is quite at Bobcock's or Hitch's level, but he's far closer than Richards. I would take him in a heart beat.

A lot of Hitch's fate will be decided by Tarasenko and Elliot. The Blues were inferior at forward and defense over a team like the Hawks.

We've got work to do with the roster before we're a true contender as well. Once we're their with the roster, we better hope that Richards isn't the head coach. Richards is a dumber Boudreau. We'll see if he can get the Ducks to the Cup - doubt it.

You have to combine that elite head coach with the right roster. It's pretty rare for a flawed roster to win the Cup.

On a side note about Nashville, they are going to need their defense and goaltending to win. They just don't have the offense yet.

It doesn't matter how great of a head coach you are. It's amazing if you can get the roster you need to win more than a Cup or two over the course of your career. What they've done with LA is quite remarkable. Hate those guys, but you have to respect what they've pulled off.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I disagree. When healthy, with this roster, we can beat anyone. This team is a contender for the Cup next year.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
In fact the biggest liability we have is the head coach who adds every little to the rest of the team.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

long standing theory that there are coaches that get the most out of what you have (Hitch is clearly in that class. They will push players, press them and eventually get the most out of them.
But in a lot of those cases you need another coach when the team is developed to get them over the top (more of the inspirational guy, who can sooth egos, keep everyone happy).

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Yes. Trotz wasn't going to win a Cup with Nashville. We'll see what he does with the Caps this year, but that is a solid team he has there. Could very well see the EC finals, but it could take another year to get there. Babcock hasn't had a Cup contending team in quite a while. I doubt they have one this season with their defense and goal tending. Canada knows what they have with Babcock and Hitch. Those guys have forgotten more about hockey than Richards ever will know. I'm not saying Trotz is quite at Bobcock's or Hitch's level, but he's far closer than Richards. I would take him in a heart beat.

A lot of Hitch's fate will be decided by Tarasenko and Elliot. The Blues were inferior at forward and defense over a team like the Hawks.

We've got work to do with the roster before we're a true contender as well. Once we're their with the roster, we better hope that Richards isn't the head coach. Richards is a dumber Boudreau. We'll see if he can get the Ducks to the Cup - doubt it.

You have to combine that elite head coach with the right roster. It's pretty rare for a flawed roster to win the Cup.

On a side note about Nashville, they are going to need their defense and goaltending to win. They just don't have the offense yet.

It doesn't matter how great of a head coach you are. It's amazing if you can get the roster you need to win more than a Cup or two over the course of your career. What they've done with LA is quite remarkable. Hate those guys, but you have to respect what they've pulled off.

So basically, all of these guys are already being given a pass for whatever happens this year: Trotz has a roster that isn't there yet, Babcock has defense and goaltending, Hitchcock is tied to Tarasenko and Elliott.

At its very essence, coaching in sports is about being a salesman. Your job and your success is more directly tied into whether the players you coach believe in what you say. Tactics and matchups are part of the daily sales pitch, but the most important thing is getting guys to lay it on the line for you day in and day out.

That's why certain coaches don't have a long shelf life. John Tortorella was brilliant with a young team full of guys desperate to prove themselves, and a complete waste with a veteran team that (rightfully) thought that his pettiness and mind games were disrespectful to all involved parties. Mike Keenan burned out nearly everyone around him in short order the same way. The guys on the other side of the personality spectrum get tuned out because they don't demand any type of real accountability, and when they do, it's not taken seriously.

Richards has a track record of these players buying in. Tactics and matchups are all well and good, but unless there's a legitimately atrocious mismatch (like making the 1984-85 Oilers play a passive trapping style), getting the buy-in is going to go a lot further toward being successful.

long standing theory that there are coaches that get the most out of what you have (Hitch is clearly in that class. They will push players, press them and eventually get the most out of them.
But in a lot of those cases you need another coach when the team is developed to get them over the top (more of the inspirational guy, who can sooth egos, keep everyone happy).

So basically, we need to go with a coach who gets the most out of players, then someone more inspirational and keep a tight locker room to get over the top.

I'll stick with the current guy, the one who's absolutely gotten more out of these players than anyone else has and certainly has a fairly tight locker room.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I like this quote from HCTR in today's Dispatch:

“For me, what’s forefront is the disappointment of where we’re at,†coach Todd Richards said. “That, to me, has to be the driving force behind our summer. We know what we can do. When we’re all together and healthy … when guys are committed and playing the right way and doing the right things, you can see the results.

“But to me, the driving force has to be the disappointment of our season.â€

Yes!

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Its nice to know what we can do when completely healthy, but with the style we play thats not going to happen very much. There will be injuries next year, we need to improve the depth of this team if we want to go anywhere. We seem to be ok at forward, but D and goalie depth need to be solid

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Its nice to know what we can do when completely healthy, but with the style we play thats not going to happen very much. There will be injuries next year, we need to improve the depth of this team if we want to go anywhere. We seem to be ok at forward, but D and goalie depth need to be solid

I agree, improved depth and further upgrades to the back end are needed to continue the progress we've seen in the last month. They're clearly able to be competitive, now, but we want dominance!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad